shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this Stuller setting?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m considering this setting for Edwina. Anyone have an opinion if it would be a good choice? Gold or platinum?
Or I could do black silver, or I suppose, choose 18k white gold and swap the plain chain for something more Edwardian, like a foliate link.
The jeweller charges $100 to set the stone, and the platinum version of the necklace mounting costs $427.
I’m unsure and waffling. But the claw prongs would be great.
Thoughts?

291E90D5-4BDF-451F-8930-8BEC329F29FE.jpeg

85562778-FEAA-4F04-9748-953F01DB2572.jpeg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
how many mm is the diamond? $427 is just for the mounting? no chain? Setting fee is another $100 on top?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I love the prongs too. You could also add a DBTY few accent diamonds on the chain. I have been on a yellow gold kick lately, so I know what I would say. What a fun project.

What are Edwina's stats again?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
how many mm is the diamond? $427 is just for the mounting? no chain? Setting fee is another $100 on top?

That does sound a little steep.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Edwina is 6.1mm by 6.2mm

I think it’s perhaps slightly overpriced (?) for such a lightweight mount. The video here shows how thin the chain is (1mm), which is not a great proportionate match to the stone.... but perhaps the red stone is more than 6mm....

The Stuller price of $427 includes the 18” chain, but the setting fee of $100 is additional.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That's highway robbery. Sorry but that basket and chain combo cost them half what they're charging. You can probably go custom with DK and pay less overall.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That basket alone is like $70, in 6.5mm platinum. At least that's what alocal jeweler quoted when I asked about it.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Here are two views of her. I think with her patterning, claw prong are the right choice. If I’m mistaken, please tell me. Thanks!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Here are two views of her. I think with her patterning, claw prong are the right choice. If I’m mistaken, please tell me. Thanks!

I'm seriously in love with Edwina. I could not imagine her in anything but a claw prong.

I could also see her in a CVB Astrid pendant.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
this is the basket right? https://www.stuller.com/products/2000253/15968835/?groupId=201869&recommendationSource=SiteSearch

That's the one I asked about. the jeweler mentioned other parts and stuff depending on chain type but it was nowhere near $527 total.

Yep, that’s the one. Stuller adds small Mickey Mouse ears to that head and a chain. The chain is 1mm and comes in either 16” or 18”

The local jeweler is one I would have to insist on refining the claw prongs down, I suspect, because they don’t have good quality control.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I would skip the chain and supply your own.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm seriously in love with Edwina. I could not imagine her in anything but a claw prong.

I could also see her in a CVB Astrid pendant.

Thank you so much! You’re so very kind.

She is in a rabbit-ear boring-prong mount at the moment, and as you can imagine, it’s a daily disappointment....

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you end up selecting this setting?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Did you end up selecting this setting?
I have hemmed and hawed over this and still haven’t pulled the trigger. I just last week found a 14k white gold edwardian paper clip (long & short links) that might work to pull this project to fruition. It should arrive Friday.
FF0BD4F7-80AF-496F-8303-70D6E9B9C0B9.jpeg

But yes I keep coming back to this mounting. If the white gold chain doesn’t work, I do have a 14k yellow rolo chain I could use, 4g, 18” and neutral.

671B9B0A-5F24-4A11-8306-C02775CD85CC.jpeg

Do you have thoughts on what I should do? Edwina still sits unworn.

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Probably not what you want to hear, but I really don't think that that setting is going to do what you want for the stone.

I know I'm very big on period appropriate settings, but that setting is very general to me.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Probably not what you want to hear, but I really don't think that that setting is going to do what you want for the stone.

I know I'm very big on period appropriate settings, but that setting is very general to me.

I am glad to hear this, I am grateful for constructive criticism. Do you think a slim milgrain bezel in 14k unplated white gold would look better?

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
712FE286-950F-4C33-AEEC-5AA76389AA90.jpeg

If you have a chain you’d like to attach, it might make it worthwhile to order the mount as a necklace center rather than the necklace with a chain you aren’t interested in wearing anyway.

It could make the price low enough you’d consider it as a temporary setting that could could wear around while trying to decide whether another mounting would be better.

14k would be even less for the center mounting if you were interested in going that route.
58CFAEE1-332D-4137-912C-D79C10F86E43.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I am glad to hear this, I am grateful for constructive criticism. Do you think a slim milgrain bezel in 14k unplated white gold would look better?

I do. Or a collet or a layered buttercup setting. It's a romantic flowery stone and that setting reads modern to me. Or even something that has a very delicate filigree style frame to it.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I do. Or a collet or a layered buttercup setting. It's a romantic flowery stone and that setting reads modern to me. Or even something that has a very delicate filigree style frame to it.

Thank you. I really don’t disagree.

(My favorite setting of all time is the Georgian oxidised silver collet but I’m amazed at how expensive they are to have made, and that they seem to be an Acquired taste. I mean, someone actually called my favorite necklace ugly. Never mind, I love it and wear it every day! I think it’s just beautiful and soulful.)

But anyway, after marveling at Edwina so long, I think she suits an Edwardian look. Do you agree? The closest thing I could find to explain my vision for her now, is this post by another PSer:
7B57BB68-BE02-42F5-9A55-25B6474E9E92.jpeg

Source:

elizat

Ideal_Rock

(My favorite setting of all time is the Georgian oxidised silver collet but I’m amazed at how expensive they are to have made, and that they seem to be an Acquired taste. I mean, someone actually called my favorite necklace ugly. Never mind, I love it and wear it every day! I think it’s just beautiful and soulful.)

But anyway, after marveling at Edwina so long, I think she suits an Edwardian look. Do you agree? The closest thing I could find to explain my vision for her now, is this post by another PSer:

I love collet settings.

I think that Edwardian is spot on.

This is deco, but the filigree concept is kind of what I was talking about. It can be made slimmer and all round, v the pear shaped, but it really makes the stone pop.

Or something like this, translated to a pendant:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I saw that one! I’ve been trawling Lang’s website for weeks. It’s very pretty and would be very appropriate for her cut.
1CCF9DD3-2014-4754-9312-482484597573.jpeg

I think something like that would really make the stone stand out and age wise, it would work too. Plus it's got plenty of interesting details too.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I like the CVB filigree rondel. Very pretty!

Another option would be to reuse Marjorie’s pearl halo to set Edwina. I’m bogged down by options and I struggle to find clarity. But maybe this would not suit her?
0CAE3573-67D0-4E5A-A6CC-48B191834852.jpeg
6602EC63-019D-4DE2-8F50-02B2B9172C27.jpeg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
The stone in this pendant is the spitting image of Edwina. Maybe David Klass could make a custom one of these? I really like rose gold! I wish I could find a reasonably-priced antique blush gold necklace instead of feeling tempted to shorten my great grandmother’s long chain. They are ridiculous in price right now.
C01A0C27-4D90-449B-B58A-4A9158CDE4A3.jpeg
E4BC662B-FB3F-47E7-B8C6-60E55BE61AE3.jpeg

source:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone in this pendant is the spitting image of Edwina. Maybe David Klass could make a custom one of these? I really like rose gold! I wish I could find a reasonably-priced antique blush gold necklace instead of feeling tempted to shorten my great grandmother’s long chain. They are ridiculous in price right now.
C01A0C27-4D90-449B-B58A-4A9158CDE4A3.jpeg
E4BC662B-FB3F-47E7-B8C6-60E55BE61AE3.jpeg

source:

Omg I love this.

And sorry, I have no idea what you should do but I asked because I had been considering the same stuller mount as you :)

I think this might be the stuller setter here.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Omg I love this.

And sorry, I have no idea what you should do but I asked because I had been considering the same stuller mount as you :)

I think this might be the stuller setter here.

Ooh! I think you’re right. Interesting that the middle stone shows much more ‘side view’ to the mount (the stone setting equivalent to “side b00b”) so I think they would have been better off using a smaller mount option of the same setting. Do you agree?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

7B57BB68-BE02-42F5-9A55-25B6474E9E92.jpeg

Source:

I like the simple elegance of this look (the bezel set one you posted here.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results