Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this setting?

sftodenver

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
54

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,779
sftodenver said:
I found another setting that seems like a great fit - wondering if anyone here has feedback or forewarning on it.

I'm not sure if I'd go with white gold or platinum. http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-wispy-nature-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50668
I love that setting. Very organic... If budget allows, I'd go with platinum, but if not, I'd do 14K white gold (NOT 18K).

I also need help finding a great stone, in the $4k range.

Thanks!

PS. Would it be easier / more efficient to try and buy the stone from JA if I go with a setting from them?
Yes, I would go with JA for the diamond if you decide on a setting from them.
 

sftodenver

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
54
sftodenver|1463627021|4033404 said:
I'm also willing to adjust some of those specs slightly if it would make sense. Maybe just below .9 carat to get a better color rating?
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,635
The only downside I see to that setting is that it is going to have a significant gap between it and the engagement ring. If this is a surprise and not a ring she has chosen, I would not choose it. It's okay but I think you could do much better. Has she shown you rings she likes? I would go with platinum if at all possible whichever ring you buy.

Yes, I would not buy a setting from JA at all unless I was buying a diamond there.

This is the best diamond I see in your budget in H or higher and VS:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1085066
 

sftodenver

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
54
diamondseeker2006|1463629505|4033415 said:
The only downside I see to that setting is that it is going to have a significant gap between it and the engagement ring. If this is a surprise and not a ring she has chosen, I would not choose it. It's okay but I think you could do much better. Has she shown you rings she likes? I would go with platinum if at all possible whichever ring you buy.

Yes, I would not buy a setting from JA at all unless I was buying a diamond there.

This is the best diamond I see in your budget in H or higher and VS:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1085066

Not sure I understand the gap you are noting.

All I really have to go with on preference is she likes is this:

"From what I gathered she would prefer a diamond over a different stone, in a funky cool setting that could still be considered classy...you were right about silver. I asked her what she meant by funky and she showed me this website and basically said she loves everything:

http://shop.kenanddanadesign.com/collections/engagement-rings
"
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Okay. Your lady really likes out of box designs! GOOD to know! And she seems to like halos. I do NOT think that JA setting is really right now, seeing that.

I have an great setting for you as a result. Either one of these would be perfect for her:
http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/halo-styles-c21/iris-dia-oval-prd-mva60-iri-dia-ov/
http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/halo-styles-c21/snowdrop-dia-ov-prd-mva59-sno-ov/

AND ovals cost less per carat than rounds. On the other hand, they are much harder to shop for. BUT I can help you with that.


Alternately you can go for these settings for a round stone:
http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/halo-styles-c21/snowdrop-dia-prd-mva59-sno-dia/
http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/rosneath-prd-mva69-ros/
Or this one (although I feel the other settings are more "her"): http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/fern-pave-prd-mva43-fer-pave/

3500 is a great stone budget.

In a round we can go to I SI1 for the stone. In an oval we'll be looking at H or better and eyeclean.

And NO ONE will have the same ring as her. Which I think is going to be really important to her.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Ovals:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-0-97-Carat-H-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-8EZH1V REALLY nice oval. And HUGE: 8x5.5! But a teeny bit over budget.

Another beautiful oval and this one is UNDER budget: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-0-81-Carat-G-Color-VVS2-Clarity-Diamond-4KRHRC great size at 7x5

Both are beautiful and are big (dimensions) and will look fantastic in the Maevona settings.

Rounds (ask for idealscope image)-- I can look for more for you later I'm in a rush:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1083602
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.80-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1083603

(those could be earrings they are so close).
 

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Messages
666
sftodenver|1463634358|4033438 said:
All I really have to go with on preference is she likes is this:

"From what I gathered she would prefer a diamond over a different stone, in a funky cool setting that could still be considered classy...you were right about silver. I asked her what she meant by funky and she showed me this website and basically said she loves everything:

http://shop.kenanddanadesign.com/collections/engagement-rings
"
What beautiful settings :love: :appl: :love: is there nothing you can afford from their site? as she herself pointed you in that direction!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Sphene, I agree about that. But the prices of those settings are high for a 5k budget unless he goes for something super simple.
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,779
Why not do this setting in 14K with a round stone? It'll be one you know she'll love and still have lots of presence (even with a smaller diamond). Win-Win. [emoji1360]
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,779
OP, the JA setting was $1K and you mentioned looking at <$5 stones. So is it safe to say your budget is $5-6K all in? Or is it closer to $4-5K?
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,779
...I recommended the setting above based on your budget in your first posts of $5-6K.

Regardless of budget, I'd consider I color and SI (eye clean) stones IF you go with a round. The color will be white in that size stone and if it's eye clean, it will be indistinguishable from VVS.
 

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 22, 2015
Messages
1,170
gypsy i LOVE that first Maevonna setting, WOW! :love: They have some really unique settings, i love browsing their site.

This one is REALLY pretty too
http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/scottish-wildflowers-c-7/tansy-prd-mva80-tan-pave/

or this set for something REALLY out of the box. although it's not quite as organic as the others. just very different.
http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/scottish-islands-c-6/eriskay-set-prd-mv-set-eri/

but i really do love the idea of an oval, you'll get more finger coverage and again, it's different from the more traditional round.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
2,319
I love the Kenanddana rings!!! You know there are a handful of settings that are less than $2K that you could get. They're elegant and funky at the same time. If she loves everything on the kenanddana site, I really don't know about getting a setting from JA style wise. I called and KandD will set outside stones so you can certainly still get the diamond from JA if you wish (or where ever you're leaning towards). Also, have you called KandD? They were sooo nice and helpful. They source stones and have many in house too, so it's an option to call and see what they could do for you in your budget, which is a really nice budget by the way. I don't know....this is just an idea. She loves everything on that site and their designs are not similar to things on JA, BN, etc. I would try to get her something she loves and goodness you have an entire website to choose from!! Why not see what they can do for you in your budget?
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,779
JDDN said:
I love the Kenanddana rings!!! You know there are a handful of settings that are less than $2K that you could get. They're elegant and funky at the same time. If she loves everything on the kenanddana site, I really don't know about getting a setting from JA style wise. I called and KandD will set outside stones so you can certainly still get the diamond from JA if you wish (or where ever you're leaning towards). Also, have you called KandD? They were sooo nice and helpful. They source stones and have many in house too, so it's an option to call and see what they could do for you in your budget, which is a really nice budget by the way. I don't know....this is just an idea. She loves everything on that site and their designs are not similar to things on JA, BN, etc. I would try to get her something she loves and goodness you have an entire website to choose from!! Why not see what they can do for you in your budget?
I agree. If she's already told you she loves everything on that site, then... well, she's TELLING you what she wants, specifically. The good news is you have a ton to choose from in all different price ranges. Listen to her... She has made it pretty easy for you -- most guys have to agonize over whether their intended will like the setting, but she's made it much less stressful for you! [emoji1360]

This is what she wants... So give it to her. [emoji4]
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,855
I always thought this was modern but still elegant , and super affordable. And you could get quite a big princess cut for your budget as they usually aren't too expensive considering.

mva28-san_10_1.jpg
 

sftodenver

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
54
msop04|1463659317|4033487 said:
OP, the JA setting was $1K and you mentioned looking at <$5 stones. So is it safe to say your budget is $5-6K all in? Or is it closer to $4-5K?
I'd love to stay under $5k for stone + setting.
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,779

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,855
sftodenver|1463680268|4033624 said:
msop04|1463659317|4033487 said:
OP, the JA setting was $1K and you mentioned looking at <$5 stones. So is it safe to say your budget is $5-6K all in? Or is it closer to $4-5K?
I'd love to stay under $5k for stone + setting.
You can get a high color ideal round from Brian Gavin with that sholdt setting for under 5 k, but the stone would be .70cts. Is that an OK ctw or did you want more?
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,779
Niel said:
sftodenver|1463680268|4033624 said:
msop04|1463659317|4033487 said:
OP, the JA setting was $1K and you mentioned looking at <$5 stones. So is it safe to say your budget is $5-6K all in? Or is it closer to $4-5K?
I'd love to stay under $5k for stone + setting.
You can get a high color ideal round from Brian Gavin with that sholdt setting for under 5 k, but the stone would be .70cts. Is that an OK ctw or did you want more?
Does the stone need to be a high color? Would an I color work? If so, he could get a lot more stone for the money. In that size stone, an I will look extremely white anyway.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,855
msop04|1463681302|4033644 said:
Niel said:
sftodenver|1463680268|4033624 said:
msop04|1463659317|4033487 said:
OP, the JA setting was $1K and you mentioned looking at <$5 stones. So is it safe to say your budget is $5-6K all in? Or is it closer to $4-5K?
I'd love to stay under $5k for stone + setting.
You can get a high color ideal round from Brian Gavin with that sholdt setting for under 5 k, but the stone would be .70cts. Is that an OK ctw or did you want more?
Does the stone need to be a high color? Would an I color work? If so, he could get a lot more stone for the money. In that size stone, an I will look extremely white anyway.
That's true I suppose, but all they had where there "advance" collection, I'm not sure I understand how that works, so I'd inquire but this plus that sholdt halo would be just about 4k
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.708-i-vs2-round-diamond-bfg-17023
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I love that Sholdt halo from BGD. And they have fantastic quality! That said the site she likes has a lot of organic designs, which is why I feel Maevona is a better fit.
 

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 22, 2015
Messages
1,170

sftodenver

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
54
Gypsy|1463639736|4033446 said:
Okay. Your lady really likes out of box designs! GOOD to know! And she seems to like halos. I do NOT think that JA setting is really right now, seeing that.

I have an great setting for you as a result. Either one of these would be perfect for her:
http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/halo-styles-c21/iris-dia-oval-prd-mva60-iri-dia-ov/
http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/halo-styles-c21/snowdrop-dia-ov-prd-mva59-sno-ov/

AND ovals cost less per carat than rounds. On the other hand, they are much harder to shop for. BUT I can help you with that.


Alternately you can go for these settings for a round stone:
http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/halo-styles-c21/snowdrop-dia-prd-mva59-sno-dia/
http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/rosneath-prd-mva69-ros/
Or this one (although I feel the other settings are more "her"): http://www.maevona.com/engagement-rings-c-4/fern-pave-prd-mva43-fer-pave/

3500 is a great stone budget.

In a round we can go to I SI1 for the stone. In an oval we'll be looking at H or better and eyeclean.

And NO ONE will have the same ring as her. Which I think is going to be really important to her.
Thanks for such thoughtful response Gypsy. Really appreciate this.

On Maevona, they seem to heavily emphasize visiting a retail location - won't be possible for me altho they say they'll ship to a retail spot they've worked with before. Also I like the idea of some sort of upgrade policy down the road, which I guess wouldn't be possible. Not deal killers, as I do really like some of the settings you've suggested.

First setting: I like that quite a bit, but I'm a little nervous about the hearts - she doesn't tend to go for overly 'girly'. Oof, I do like the shape, feel of that setting though.
2nd: This one feels like like her.

Alt round stone ones...
I actually think she'd like the Fern Pave (or Tansy someone else suggested) a bit more than the snowdrop/roseneath.

TIMELINE: I'm realizing I may need to push out my timeline a bit if I want to get her something as unique as she deserves - initially I was hoping to have the ring by the end of June. It's not critical, and I want to get her something she'll love.

Thanks for all the help!
 

sftodenver

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
54
Gypsy|1463682437|4033650 said:
I love that Sholdt halo from BGD. And they have fantastic quality! That said the site she likes has a lot of organic designs, which is why I feel Maevona is a better fit.

This feels VERY her. Timeless, funky, elegant.
 

sftodenver

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
54
farrahlyn|1463683131|4033654 said:
These are great, just don't feel quite as 'her' as some of the other stuff.

Leaning towards that Sholdt setting at the moment...
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Lucky Alhambra Bracelet
    Lucky Alhambra Bracelet
    Handmade diamond studs
    Handmade diamond studs
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top