shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this antique 1905 2ct rose cut diamond halo?

JLS

Rough_Rock
More pics!!!!!!! Please!!

I’m going to try to get some (good) pictures of it this week & post a thread to the show me the bling forum! (I had no idea taking photos of a ring would be so hard?!) So I’ll post the link here when I do, but until then here are a few random snaps :D

I wish I could capture the sparkle and shimmer better! It really looks so much better in person. I feel like rose cuts especially must photograph poorly.

9F35DB4D-F549-4FAD-B0C1-C8DD015B94C1.jpeg

471D5495-FC25-4755-9E5A-9A9F76023A6D.jpeg

5885451B-19BC-4564-9355-0A6E866D1ECB.jpeg

B348F221-BA97-4F35-A1E4-CC1111507F16.jpeg

JLS

Rough_Rock
I found a better page with several rose cut rings pictured on multiple pages. Maybe it will help you decide if you really want a rose cut engagement ring. The ring in the post above this one was also made by this person:

Wow those are gorgeous! I love CvB, she creates the most beautiful & unique rings

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JLS it’s a very soft feminine ring and looks lovely on your hand. So glad you love it and all hesitation is gone. Enjoy ❤️

Reactions: JLS

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @missy comments above. Your ring is so feminine and dreamy. You have beautiful hands and long slender fingers so it’s a match made in heaven.

weaver2

Rough_Rock
This is only my second post on here, but I love this site and it’s been so helpful to me.
This is kind of long (apologies) but if you can read it I’d be so grateful :) or just skip down to the end for the pics and tell me your opinion on this stone & it’s setting, thank you!

I have been in the market for an upgraded engagement ring for over 2 years now (going from a basic 2ct RB set in a 3 sided micro pave halo that I ended up not loving & stopped wearing years ago). I’m really not a fan of much. I don’t like “typical” styles of cuts/settings but also want something very classic and timeless (kind of contradictory I know) and 100% want a diamond. I was set and ready to pull the trigger on a 2.5-3 ct emerald cut with tapered baguettes. I’m not hugely keen of the rectangular shape on my finger, given the sharp corners, but liked how it was a unique cut with a timeless feel & setting.

Well fast forward to last week. I came across this beauty (pics below) and was blown away. I’ve never had such a visceral reaction to a ring before! It truly took my breath away. It’s an antique (circa 1905!) oval, 2 ct rose cut diamond in a halo of OEC diamonds. I love how the OEC diamonds are unique and really compliment yet stand out from the rose cut. I never considered a rose cut because of what I’ve read about them being lifeless and I never considered an oval shape simply because I’m just not a fan of the type of sparkle brilliant cuts give. I also normally don’t like halos because they all seem to blend into the center stone and you can’t differentiate the two.

I’m not concerned with it being such an old antique, it was purchased through a trusted source (Victor Barboné - I cannot recommend them enough!!) and I absolutely baby my jewelry. I’m not the type to wears my rings all the time, just when I go out.

My main concern is the large size on my size 4 finger. Although it’s a 2ct, given the type of cut it faces up as a 2.5 ct (10.71 x 7.54), and the halo is on the chunkier side so there’s a lot of finger coverage. Also, as much as I love the rose cut, it’s true what they say and the shallow sparkle (while it’s there) is just... different. I LOVE the flashy effect but I do wish it had more of a rainbow in its flashes and wasn’t so transparent at certain angles.

Things I like:
* the shape; I love the way the oval shape looks on my finger.
* the story; my husband and I both are in love with the idea of an antique ring and are intrigued with it being so old!
* the cut; it’s unique and not the typical brilliant cut. I love how it also stands out alone from the halo.

Things I don’t like:
* the overall size; I like large rings but is it TOO large on my finger?
* worried that it doesn’t “look” like a diamond, given the unique cut and large size.
* will the unique cut lose its charm over time and will its transparency and lack of colored flashes bother me long term?

If I were to send it back, I’m pretty certain at this point that I would have the same exact setting replicated just with a smaller center stone. But I’m afraid that by doing that, the ring will lose the charm that I love about it (especially the fact that it’s 115 years old) and I will be unhappy with the typical brilliant oval in a typical brilliant halo - the look that I’m trying to avoid. The only other option for me would be the emerald cut, but I do love the oval shape on me much more.

I am the worst decision maker in general and I am absolutely agonizing over this! I’ve added pictures in all different lighting, but pictures truly don’t do its beauty justice.

96DFBE5D-0CFA-4451-9245-FC8DE2E5A215.jpeg 908D8280-E1ED-4257-9B34-720D7F1F2167.jpeg 4E4E7FA6-4C65-46C0-A569-74DE562AFDA8.jpeg 73064FA0-ADC6-40DA-A11E-16D1FE9D8616.jpeg 46D91A41-EDE3-421A-B82B-43142E622E47.jpeg 2C628E0C-18B2-4402-B5F7-C1716597AD34.jpeg 6EDE6A56-BA7A-4236-AF58-17C2D95C16E8.jpeg 623789D1-9A9C-42A3-8A60-2F7BAECCDACE.jpeg 384A697A-56F6-437C-B8B9-67BD9B12C758.jpeg EE9AFDD0-A4A1-4178-9162-2A4BC3AF2CC8.png

The ring is unique. Unique is hard to recapture. Why wear yourself out trying to recapture what you already have in hand?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
It is such a lovely ring! I am glad you have decided to keep it :)

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so glad you decided to keep the ring. This ring is absolute perfection on your hand!

DanniiD

Rough_Rock
It’s amazing and looks like it was made for your finger :kiss2: LOVe it!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
This is only my second post on here, but I love this site and it’s been so helpful to me.
This is kind of long (apologies) but if you can read it I’d be so grateful :) or just skip down to the end for the pics and tell me your opinion on this stone & it’s setting, thank you!

I have been in the market for an upgraded engagement ring for over 2 years now (going from a basic 2ct RB set in a 3 sided micro pave halo that I ended up not loving & stopped wearing years ago). I’m really not a fan of much. I don’t like “typical” styles of cuts/settings but also want something very classic and timeless (kind of contradictory I know) and 100% want a diamond. I was set and ready to pull the trigger on a 2.5-3 ct emerald cut with tapered baguettes. I’m not hugely keen of the rectangular shape on my finger, given the sharp corners, but liked how it was a unique cut with a timeless feel & setting.

Well fast forward to last week. I came across this beauty (pics below) and was blown away. I’ve never had such a visceral reaction to a ring before! It truly took my breath away. It’s an antique (circa 1905!) oval, 2 ct rose cut diamond in a halo of OEC diamonds. I love how the OEC diamonds are unique and really compliment yet stand out from the rose cut. I never considered a rose cut because of what I’ve read about them being lifeless and I never considered an oval shape simply because I’m just not a fan of the type of sparkle brilliant cuts give. I also normally don’t like halos because they all seem to blend into the center stone and you can’t differentiate the two.

I’m not concerned with it being such an old antique, it was purchased through a trusted source (Victor Barboné - I cannot recommend them enough!!) and I absolutely baby my jewelry. I’m not the type to wears my rings all the time, just when I go out.

My main concern is the large size on my size 4 finger. Although it’s a 2ct, given the type of cut it faces up as a 2.5 ct (10.71 x 7.54), and the halo is on the chunkier side so there’s a lot of finger coverage. Also, as much as I love the rose cut, it’s true what they say and the shallow sparkle (while it’s there) is just... different. I LOVE the flashy effect but I do wish it had more of a rainbow in its flashes and wasn’t so transparent at certain angles.

Things I like:
* the story; my husband and I both are in love with the idea of an antique ring and are intrigued with it being so old!
* the cut; it’s unique and not the typical brilliant cut. I love how it also stands out alone from the halo.

Things I don’t like:
* worried that it doesn’t “look” like a diamond, given the unique cut and large size.
* will the unique cut lose its charm over time and will its transparency and lack of colored flashes bother me long term?

If I were to send it back, I’m pretty certain at this point that I would have the same exact setting replicated just with a smaller center stone. But I’m afraid that by doing that, the ring will lose the charm that I love about it (especially the fact that it’s 115 years old) and I will be unhappy with the typical brilliant oval in a typical brilliant halo - the look that I’m trying to avoid. The only other option for me would be the emerald cut, but I do love the oval shape on me much more.

I am the worst decision maker in general and I am absolutely agonizing over this! I’ve added pictures in all different lighting, but pictures truly don’t do its beauty justice.

96DFBE5D-0CFA-4451-9245-FC8DE2E5A215.jpeg 908D8280-E1ED-4257-9B34-720D7F1F2167.jpeg 4E4E7FA6-4C65-46C0-A569-74DE562AFDA8.jpeg 73064FA0-ADC6-40DA-A11E-16D1FE9D8616.jpeg 46D91A41-EDE3-421A-B82B-43142E622E47.jpeg 2C628E0C-18B2-4402-B5F7-C1716597AD34.jpeg 6EDE6A56-BA7A-4236-AF58-17C2D95C16E8.jpeg 623789D1-9A9C-42A3-8A60-2F7BAECCDACE.jpeg 384A697A-56F6-437C-B8B9-67BD9B12C758.jpeg EE9AFDD0-A4A1-4178-9162-2A4BC3AF2CC8.png

Your ring/setting is unique, beautiful and distinctive, in my book equals perfection. Enjoy it immensely and love that you shared your treasure .

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This was worth fighting (doubt) for!

The setting is even finer than I expected, and the golden prongs look for all the world like stamens, subtle fun .)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's truly a gorgeous ring! I am glad you are keeping it! Even if you later decide you want a different e-ring, it would be perfect as as right hand ring, too. So there's little risk either way!

JLS

Rough_Rock
@JLS it’s a very soft feminine ring and looks lovely on your hand. So glad you love it and all hesitation is gone. Enjoy ❤

Me too! Now I’m going to be so sad for a few days when I have to send it back to be resized :lol:

Reactions: AV_

JLS

Rough_Rock
I agree with @missy comments above. Your ring is so feminine and dreamy. You have beautiful hands and long slender fingers so it’s a match made in heaven.

Awww you’re so sweet thank you!

JLS

Rough_Rock
The ring is unique. Unique is hard to recapture. Why wear yourself out trying to recapture what you already have in hand?

Couldn’t have said it better myself! I’m so glad I came to my senses and didn’t try to recreate it :))

JLS

Rough_Rock
Your ring/setting is unique, beautiful and distinctive, in my book equals perfection. Enjoy it immensely and love that you shared your treasure .

I’m so glad others love it as much as I do :) I look back now and wonder how I even had a doubt!

JLS

Rough_Rock

The setting is even finer than I expected, and the golden prongs look for all the world like stamens, subtle fun .)

Aren’t the prongs so beautiful? They're definitely my favorite detail!

JLS

Rough_Rock
It's truly a gorgeous ring! I am glad you are keeping it! Even if you later decide you want a different e-ring, it would be perfect as as right hand ring, too. So there's little risk either way!

I’m so glad that I came to my senses :razz: It definitely would make a stunning right hand ring!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

I noticed that too! Love that whole look!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
returning to an older post,

I wish there was a cut in between the rose and a conventional & antique cut oval... but you can’t always get what you want!

This is a very beautiful quest! Very old stones or a cut not yet made, could work this way.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring is gorgeous. I was reading along, rooting for you to keep it. A replica would just not be the same. It’s perfection as is!

JLS

Rough_Rock
This ring is gorgeous. I was reading along, rooting for you to keep it. A replica would just not be the same. It’s perfection as is!

I’m so glad I overcame my doubts, it is such a beautiful piece of history and I feel so lucky to own it!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful! I love everything about it. And the SIZE?! Holy cow! Could you just have sizing beads or a speed bump instEad of a resize?

JLS

Rough_Rock
So beautiful! I love everything about it. And the SIZE?! Holy cow! Could you just have sizing beads or a speed bump instEad of a resize?

Thank you! Sadly no :(( it’s currently a size 5.75 and I’m a 4... I’m going to be so sad to be away from it while it’s being resized :lol:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Digressing from everything:

One instagram www reminded me of your mentioning a diamond cut between a rose & a brilliant...

Emrldlvr

Rough_Rock
I think this ring is exquisite! I’m not usually a fan of rose cuts but it is perfect here! The sheerness and ethereal quality of the rose cut balance the sparkle of the halo and the size. It looks so gorgeous and soft and feminine on your finger. Truly a beautiful piece and I love that it carries a 115 yr history! Gorgeous!

joelly

Ideal_Rock

Things I like:

Things I don’t like:

This ring is to die for!!!!! I love everything about it. So unique!!!!

I also have been eyeing a certain ring from Victor Barbone but I hesitate because I’m not sure of the facet in the oec.

Yours is truly to die for!!!!!

JLS

Rough_Rock
Digressing from everything:

One instagram www reminded me of your mentioning a diamond cut between a rose & a brilliant...

Stunning!!

JLS

Rough_Rock
I think this ring is exquisite! I’m not usually a fan of rose cuts but it is perfect here! The sheerness and ethereal quality of the rose cut balance the sparkle of the halo and the size. It looks so gorgeous and soft and feminine on your finger. Truly a beautiful piece and I love that it carries a 115 yr history! Gorgeous!

Thank you so much! I was on the same page initially with rose cuts not being my favorite, but that all changed when I saw this ring! I love it more every day =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results