shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this antique 1905 2ct rose cut diamond halo?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
No common cut will contrast as much with the surrounding diamonds. There are many uncommon possibilities www

[Digressing,
Your ring reminds me of another rose cut set in a halo of brilliant cuts - all yellows, part of this 'Poppy': www The rose cut is backed, less daring than yours.]

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. You asked if it looked like a diamond. I showed it to my husband. He is not a pser. He said it looked costume. So if it’s really a concern of yours what others perceive—this is the wrong forum bc we are all diamond hobbyists who know. You won’t be surrounded by us irl. Just wanted to throw it out there bc it seems everyone here likes it but the fact that they like it does not address your concerns.

JLS

Rough_Rock
I completely understand why this is such a hard decision for you. First of all, it is a truly amazing and very unique ring. I absolutely love the setting. I also think that the rose cut somehow works in it. I do not find it too large on you at all. Actually it is just simply stunning and flattering on your beautiful hand.

I struggled whether I should mention this and really contemplated whether I am “right”. I will mention it because it seems to somewhere bother you as well. I am not a rose cut fan and miss that beautiful fireworks an old cut stone would produce in that setting. I think an antique moval in a setting like this would be pure perfection. To me. To you? I do not know.

All this said the ring does work and the rose cut looks awesome in there. It is a real antique and it is just so different in a positive way.

What matters is how you feel about it. Do you really love it? Will you miss the chunky facets, light return of an old cut in there or will you be able to look at this ring as perfection to you every single day. This is what I would think over.

Thank you so much for the feedback! It seems like you totally understand where I’m coming from. Although the size felt a touch too large initially, I am coming around to it and I actually think I’d grow to really love it. As for the cut, that’s kind of where my dilemma lies. It’s so unique and I absolutely love how it stands out alone from the halo, since it’s a different type of sparkle. Although halos are beautiful and have the antique feel which I love, I’m not normally a fan of them only because they tend to blend in with a brilliant cut center diamond, since everything is sparkling and flashing in the same way. Sometimes it can end up just looking like one giant stone, or like you’re trying to make your diamond look bigger... which I don’t like.

Do you think that having a standard brilliant or antique cut oval will yield that blended with the halo effect? Or do you think it would have a nice contrast? This halo is more chunky than most of the modern ones, so that might help.

I took a photo where it almost looks like it could be a brilliant cut, and I think I’d like it if that’s how it would end up looking with one (please excuse the insanely dusty mirror, so embarrassing :oops: I’ve had a hectic few weeks!)

AFCFA852-B79E-41E5-980E-0AFB412F5422.jpeg

JLS

Rough_Rock
No common cut will contrast as much with the surrounding diamonds. There are many uncommon possibilities www

[Digressing,
Your ring reminds me of another rose cut set in a halo of brilliant cuts - all yellows, part of this 'Poppy': www The rose cut is backed, less daring than yours.]

That’s my fear of no contrast with a common oval or even antique oval cut, I love this setting SO much that I think if I decided against the rose cut I’d want to recreate this setting. This is truly the setting for me, I’m so in love every detail of it. I just wish that the rose cut had a little more scintillation, I don’t mind the lower number of facets but just wish they had more fire associated with them. But alas, that’s the character of the rose cut.

Ok so I think I need that poppy as a right hand ring, wow it is gorgeous. I’ve never seen anything like it!

Reactions: AV_

JLS

Rough_Rock
Ok. You asked if it looked like a diamond. I showed it to my husband. He is not a pser. He said it looked costume. So if it’s really a concern of yours what others perceive—this is the wrong forum bc we are all diamond hobbyists who know. You won’t be surrounded by us irl. Just wanted to throw it out there bc it seems everyone here likes it but the fact that they like it does not address your concerns.

I’m so glad you replied, so thank you! Yes that’s my fear. I’m no diamond expert but I’ve learned a lot from this site so I’d like to think I know more than the average person, but even so I think if I saw it without knowing there was such thing as a rose cut diamond, I’d think it were a totally different stone, like a white sapphire or something... Especially given that it really doesn’t give off much fire.

JLS

Rough_Rock
*Only speaking for myself here. For me, so much depends on what my initial impression or reaction is. What was that before all the other doubts crept in? For me gems and jewelry are so visual and ignites strong feelings one way or another.
Are you concerned that this may just be a passing infatuation or what others will think of it? Maybe these doubts are red flags and this isn’t for you, BUT make your decision based on that and not on what you THINK others will think. KWIM? Good luck figuring it out:wavey:

I think since I’m having such a hard time deciding (literally, I’ve been agonizing over this for the last 48 hours :???: my husband is about ready to throw me and the ring out the window :lol:) it might be a red flag. Even if I do return it due to the cut, I’m glad that I came across it because this setting is definitely the one. It’s so beautifully unique. I just hope that it holds the same type of look if I were to recreate it with a different center cut...

JLS

Rough_Rock
*Only speaking for myself here. For me, so much depends on what my initial impression or reaction is. What was that before all the other doubts crept in? For me gems and jewelry are so visual and ignites strong feelings one way or another.
Are you concerned that this may just be a passing infatuation or what others will think of it? Maybe these doubts are red flags and this isn’t for you, BUT make your decision based on that and not on what you THINK others will think. KWIM? Good luck figuring it out:wavey:

Btw the pup in your avatar is the just sweetest thing!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is absolutely gorgeous and looks amazing on you! At the end of the day, what does your gut say, ignoring what others might think? I love the uniqueness, romantic nature of the rose cut, along with the history and vintage setting. DSS is inevitable too! Other options to consider: you could always re-sell the ring if you decide later that it's not for you, and/or you could also reset your original engagement ring and wear both to switch things up!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would not mix a modern cut center in an antique setting but I do believe an old cut oval or moval would work beautifully. Yes, there will be contrast because you will have a large stone in there. And you can find one amazing cut and an old cut is already different anyhow. Plus, this is not a standard halo nor is it really just a cluster. It is unique enough. It will not, however, contrast as much as the rose cut does. The way I would think this over is the following. This is a stunning piece and will you love this for that design working out beautifully. Or will you miss a knockout and standout center stone and would rather recreate the design to have that. The second can be fun as well. To make this harder I love the way the ring looks on you on your last pic. Think over your priorities, stone, design, both.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose cuts are a different flavor. Outside of this forum most people don’t have a clue what they are. IMO trying to ”recreate” something similar but in a different size and type of cut would result in a very different look. This one is very special!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the feedback! It seems like you totally understand where I’m coming from. Although the size felt a touch too large initially, I am coming around to it and I actually think I’d grow to really love it. As for the cut, that’s kind of where my dilemma lies. It’s so unique and I absolutely love how it stands out alone from the halo, since it’s a different type of sparkle. Although halos are beautiful and have the antique feel which I love, I’m not normally a fan of them only because they tend to blend in with a brilliant cut center diamond, since everything is sparkling and flashing in the same way. Sometimes it can end up just looking like one giant stone, or like you’re trying to make your diamond look bigger... which I don’t like.

Do you think that having a standard brilliant or antique cut oval will yield that blended with the halo effect? Or do you think it would have a nice contrast? This halo is more chunky than most of the modern ones, so that might help.

I took a photo where it almost looks like it could be a brilliant cut, and I think I’d like it if that’s how it would end up looking with one (please excuse the insanely dusty mirror, so embarrassing :oops: I’ve had a hectic few weeks!)

I know this probably isn’t going to help you with your dilemma but it looks absolutely gorgeous and suits your hand so well. Plus I think the uniqueness of the stones and the way it has been put together in the setting is very lovely.

AFCFA852-B79E-41E5-980E-0AFB412F5422.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's super pretty and i agree with other posters that you'll likely get used to the size but only you can guess if you'll get used to the cut.

most people aren't familiar with and can be dismissive of anything that's not a modern cut white diamond or curious about it or they may think it looks like a cocktail ring or what have you ..but if you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks? :)

if you're on the fence, it's a big purchase not to feel 100% good about. how does the idea of sending it back and never finding something similar feel? would you be upset with yourself later for giving it up?

good luck :)

EC8

Shiny_Rock
@JLS, the ring is beautiful and looks lovely on your hand!
It sounds like you really love the antique setting but have some reservations about the rose cut?
Is it original to the setting? That may impact your decision making...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if anything but a rose cut would look as you wish & I do not see what could it be.

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You couldn’t be more on point with the fantasy aspect. I think that trying to recreate it with a regular cut oval would yield a totally different look, one that I’m not sure I’d like, plus the size wouldn’t end up being much smaller. My husband loves this ring more than anything else I show him, so I think I need to just get over the size anxiety and embrace it.

I think my biggest fear is eventually not loving the fact that the rose cut just doesn’t have the same allure as a standard diamond cut, even though those typically bore me because they’re so common.

My manta with all things anxiety us “don’t borrow trouble”, meaning you cannot predict or control the future, and trying us just borrowing worries from something that hasn’t happened and may never happen. Maybe you won’t like this ring one day. Maybe you will. Maybe you will not care about diamond at all! Let future you deal with those possibilities. Let now-you enjoy the pleasure of thus ring.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You know it's a real diamond, and that you'll be one of the very few people in the world to own such a very special stone.

Who gives a damn if the ignorant might think it's costume, you will know what it is, and that's all that really counts!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you asked, and since this is Rocky Talk, not Show Me the Bling forum ...
I don't like rose cuts because they window (you can see right through them) and they don't offer the dazzling light show of a well-cut conventional diamond.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a tough decision. If you were contemplating buying it for a right hand ring, I'd say definitely buy it! But I hear some hesitation from you regarding the rose cut and the fact that it doesn't sparkle like most diamonds do. I think an old cut diamond with large facets and a halo does give the contrast you are after, an uncommon center stone, but a center stone that sparkles and has fire. If your hubby will let you get this for now and then use it as a right hand ring once you find what you really want for an engagement ring, then go for it! But if not, I think you have enough doubt about it not to go forward. My old tagline here was the old saying, "When in doubt, don't."

Look through this thread. I think you may see some rose cut rings as well as many antique cuts in beautiful settings. I'm linking the last (most recent page) and you can go backwards.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it. I think it's really perfect! However....I love rose cuts. My rose cut has a constant shimmer. I have had other cuts and the rose cut is my favorite. What is important is that you love it. I get happy every time I look at my ring. 20180710_102550.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a better page with several rose cut rings pictured on multiple pages. Maybe it will help you decide if you really want a rose cut engagement ring. The ring in the post above this one was also made by this person:

JLS

Rough_Rock
The ring is absolutely gorgeous and looks amazing on you! At the end of the day, what does your gut say, ignoring what others might think? I love the uniqueness, romantic nature of the rose cut, along with the history and vintage setting. DSS is inevitable too! Other options to consider: you could always re-sell the ring if you decide later that it's not for you, and/or you could also reset your original engagement ring and wear both to switch things up!

I think I’ve gotten used to the size at this point. I think a lot of it also had to do with going 3 years without wearing a diamond at all! So it was a bit shocking to see something large :shock: Plus, no one in my social circle wears large diamond, they’re all more minimalistic in style, so I’m not used to seeing large rings and was/am a little nervous of the potential side eye lol I also don’t think it looks quite as big in person as it does in photos. Great points about the option to resell in the future and resetting my original e-ring to have two options!

JLS

Rough_Rock
I would not mix a modern cut center in an antique setting but I do believe an old cut oval or moval would work beautifully. Yes, there will be contrast because you will have a large stone in there. And you can find one amazing cut and an old cut is already different anyhow. Plus, this is not a standard halo nor is it really just a cluster. It is unique enough. It will not, however, contrast as much as the rose cut does. The way I would think this over is the following. This is a stunning piece and will you love this for that design working out beautifully. Or will you miss a knockout and standout center stone and would rather recreate the design to have that. The second can be fun as well. To make this harder I love the way the ring looks on you on your last pic. Think over your priorities, stone, design, both.

You’re so on point with everything! Those are totally the two ways I need to think about making my decision. It would also be a huge gamble to have this setting recreated, there’s always the risk that it won’t look exact enough for my liking and then I’d be super bummed that I let this one go, not to mention if I didn’t like the look of a different cut. I’m leaning more towards keeping it. It just seems like there are more pros than cons and less of a risk than creating a whole new ring that I may not even like in the long run...

Also, I think looking back at the photos I take throws me off. The ring looks way better IRL, so when I put it on I feel a totally different way than I do when I look at a picture of it.

JLS

Rough_Rock
Rose cuts are a different flavor. Outside of this forum most people don’t have a clue what they are. IMO trying to ”recreate” something similar but in a different size and type of cut would result in a very different look. This one is very special!

I think you’re right, it’s a huge, non refundable risk that I don’t know I’d be willing to take!

JLS

Rough_Rock
it's super pretty and i agree with other posters that you'll likely get used to the size but only you can guess if you'll get used to the cut.

most people aren't familiar with and can be dismissive of anything that's not a modern cut white diamond or curious about it or they may think it looks like a cocktail ring or what have you ..but if you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks? :)

if you're on the fence, it's a big purchase not to feel 100% good about. how does the idea of sending it back and never finding something similar feel? would you be upset with yourself later for giving it up?

good luck :)

I think I would feel a lot of regret! I also think that if I sent it back and had it recreated with a new stone and I didn’t end up liking it, I’d be really upset and would be kicking myself for making such a big, non refundable mistake.

JLS

Rough_Rock
@JLS, the ring is beautiful and looks lovely on your hand!
It sounds like you really love the antique setting but have some reservations about the rose cut?
Is it original to the setting? That may impact your decision making...

I’m not 100% sure, but I believe so. But I think the setting would mean more to me being the true antique over the stone anyhow, it’s so different than modern settings!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if a deeper double-rose would have left you with nothing to question. The setting does look very nice, and it would be difficult to match; few workshops bother. All in all, what you have is difficult to match.

JLS

Rough_Rock
I wonder if a deeper double-rose would have left you with nothing to question. The setting does look very nice, and it would be difficult to match; few workshops bother. All in all, what you have is difficult to match.

I think a double rose cut would have been the perfect balance! I agree about the setting being difficult to match. Even if it were close, a newly made one would just never have that truly vintage look. I think it’s worth accepting the few things I don’t like about this ring to avoid the potential risk of disliking everything about a new one.

You guys have been so great talking me through this! No one else can really appreciate my dilemma ;-) to them a ring is a ring.

JLS

Rough_Rock
My manta with all things anxiety us “don’t borrow trouble”, meaning you cannot predict or control the future, and trying us just borrowing worries from something that hasn’t happened and may never happen. Maybe you won’t like this ring one day. Maybe you will. Maybe you will not care about diamond at all! Let future you deal with those possibilities. Let now-you enjoy the pleasure of thus ring.

Love that saying! I really need to start embracing it with everything in life, not just this ring decision :)

JLS

Rough_Rock
You know it's a real diamond, and that you'll be one of the very few people in the world to own such a very special stone.

Who gives a damn if the ignorant might think it's costume, you will know what it is, and that's all that really counts!

Love this! And it’s what my husbands been saying all along too. I’m guilting of caring what other people think too much, it’s definitely a trait about myself I’d like to change. It would be oh so freeing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results