shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this antique 1905 2ct rose cut diamond halo?

JLS

Rough_Rock
Since you asked, and since this is Rocky Talk, not Show Me the Bling forum ...
I don't like rose cuts because they window (you can see right through them) and they don't offer the dazzling light show of a well-cut conventional diamond.

Thanks for the feedback! As someone else on this thread said, they’re definitely a different flavor. I wish there was a cut in between the rose and a conventional & antique cut oval... but you can’t always get what you want!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I think a double rose cut would have been the perfect balance!

They might be starting to become more available, but it still takes allot of both time and money to get a fine one. I have only seen - three - I would have liked over the years, but have not ordered one, of course [today, anything can be had! www ]; I love true cabochons too much & it took a while to come to the conclusion that diamonds are best left for other uses - it is a shame to not facet them.

I’m guilting of caring what other people think too much
Let them be! Whoever care, let them ask [or point, or whink]; then, it better be good. [digressing: I carried a pinned tweet on my profile with "Ask!" for several years - only three answered & they were beautiful surprises; I love Twitter for those & it feels like life! Jewelry is a little like that - a front, inviting, & your ring is one I would ask about.]

2c

off through the door!

Last edited:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback! As someone else on this thread said, they’re definitely a different flavor. I wish there was a cut in between the rose and a conventional & antique cut oval... but you can’t always get what you want!

Speaking for myself, sometimes I ask too much of one stone. Literally each of my diamonds has something about it that I would change...a degree of warmth...a tweak of the cut...size...BUT I love them all.
I am not totally convinced that there is a “holy grail” ring.
Your initial reaction was overwhelmingly positive, now you must deal with left-brain thoughts.

You have a tough decision to make!
It may take putting it in the box and standing in line to ship it back to give rise to your truest feeling.

JLS

Rough_Rock
Your new ring doesn’t look too big on you. If anything, I think your old one looks gigantic due to the MRB. The rose cut is subtle and elegant.

Gosh that thing is so clunky... I don’t know what I was thinking! It was a decision clearly made way before I found pricescope :lol-2:

JLS

Rough_Rock
Speaking for myself, sometimes I ask too much of one stone. Literally each of my diamonds has something about it that I would change...a degree of warmth...a tweak of the cut...size...BUT I love them all.
I am not totally convinced that there is a “holy grail” ring.
Your initial reaction was overwhelmingly positive, now you must deal with left-brain thoughts.

You have a tough decision to make!
It may take putting it in the box and standing in line to ship it back to give rise to your truest feeling.

So true, I think because it’s taken me so long to find “the one” my expectations had become unrealistic. Perfect just doesn’t exist in any regard. Overthinking is such a curse!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your description makes me love it even more! I’ve decided to keep it =)2

yay you! enjoy! it's a big decision and i would have agonized over it too =) wear it in good health!

JLS

Rough_Rock
yay you! enjoy! it's a big decision and i would have agonized over it too =) wear it in good health!

Thanks love! I am so glad that I can finally breathe again, this has been a tough few days of deliberation :lol-2:

JLS

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much to everyone who has weighed in over the last few days, I am so appreciative of you all! I don’t think I would have been as confident in my decision to keep it without your input <3

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much to everyone who has weighed in over the last few days, I am so appreciative of you all! I don’t think I would have been as confident in my decision to keep it without your input <3

So happy for you. It’s wonderful! Wear in good health.

Reactions: JLS

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think you made the right decision because this would be hard to duplicate and anyhow it will never be the same. It cannot be. A redesigned piece is never a true antique while it can be just as stunning in a different way. I also think each designer and artist has a signature style which is a plus to me actually.

Dare I say I think that one diamond ring is never enough? Why not create something with an antique moval for a right hand ring? It does not have to be now, just something to think about for a future project. And it was just one example.

Each of us here starts out with something, usually a diamond ring, then develop a passion for gems and design and resultingly we realize there is no such thing as perfection but to have a stunning piece we will likely sacrifice other looks we love that we may later want to have.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your description makes me love it even more! I’ve decided to keep it =)2

So pleased for you that you are over the moon with your "new" piece of history. Wear in health and blingy joy. And as @Sunstorm so wisely writes

we realize there is no such thing as perfection

But there is such a thing as perfectly imperfect and perfect for us. That applies to almost everything in life. Enjoy your ring :love:

JLS

Rough_Rock
I think you made the right decision because this would be hard to duplicate and anyhow it will never be the same. It cannot be. A redesigned piece is never a true antique while it can be just as stunning in a different way. I also think each designer and artist has a signature style which is a plus to me actually.

Dare I say I think that one diamond ring is never enough? Why not create something with an antique moval for a right hand ring? It does not have to be now, just something to think about for a future project. And it was just one example.

Each of us here starts out with something, usually a diamond ring, then develop a passion for gems and design and resultingly we realize there is no such thing as perfection but to have a stunning piece we will likely sacrifice other looks we love that we may later want to have.

Totally. And in the end that’s what made the decision for me. I knew that by trying to recreate it, I’d be losing out on what I love about it the most! I’ve always liked unique yet classic things & have an affinity for antiquing, so this ring really is the perfect fit for me. I tend to go with my gut but I’m also fairly analytical, so the pros outweighing the cons also helped make the decision an easier one.

... and it’s funny that you say that about a RHR. To my husbands dismay, I may or may not already be looking :D

Thank you so much for all of your insight over the past few days!

JLS

Rough_Rock
So pleased for you that you are over the moon with your "new" piece of history. Wear in health and blingy joy. And as @Sunstorm so wisely writes

But there is such a thing as perfectly imperfect and perfect for us. That applies to almost everything in life. Enjoy your ring :love:

Truer words have never been spoken!

Thank you so much!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I’m glad you decided to keep it! It’s an elegant ring. Looks like a royalty piece.
What did you decide to do with your previous ering. Sorry if you answered that already.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@missy it could not have been put better! You took the words out of my mouth. I so love beautiful “imperfection”. Character is never boring and never “perfect”. That just makes it more unique. I sooo love my imperfectly perfect pieces. I have my favorites of course but it would be next to impossible to have just one!

@JLS lol, we really do think alike! I think your DH will be happy as long as you are!

JLS

Rough_Rock
I’m glad you decided to keep it! It’s an elegant ring. Looks like a royalty piece.
What did you decide to do with your previous ering. Sorry if you answered that already.

Thank you! It kind of reminds me of the Princess Diana/DOC engagement ring, which I’ve admired since I was a little girl.

My poor old engagement ring has been collecting dust for the last 3 years haha! I think I’d like to eventually reset the diamond into a simple platinum bezel set pendant. I’m not huge into jewelry on a daily basis, I generally just keep it simple and wear my pearl earrings & wedding band (& now the new engagement ring!) but I could see adding a diamond pendant into the mix!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! It kind of reminds me of the Princess Diana/DOC engagement ring, which I’ve admired since I was a little girl.

My poor old engagement ring has been collecting dust for the last 3 years haha! I think I’d like to eventually reset the diamond into a simple platinum bezel set pendant. I’m not huge into jewelry on a daily basis, I generally just keep it simple and wear my pearl earrings & wedding band (& now the new engagement ring!) but I could see adding a diamond pendant into the mix!

I can tell you are very happy you decided to keep the ring. :dance::dance::dance:

As far as your old ering goes, pendants do need some size or they tend to get lost. Maybe send it to Amy at David Klass, so she can set it in a big, gorgeous, sparkly diamond halo, and you'll have another piece to show off to your MIL. :)

Reactions: AV_

JLS

Rough_Rock
I can tell you are very happy you decided to keep the ring. :dance::dance::dance:

As far as your old ering goes, pendants do need some size or they tend to get lost. Maybe send it to Amy at David Klass, so she can set it in a big, gorgeous, sparkly diamond halo, and you'll have another piece to show off to your MIL. :)

Now that it’s finally an official decision I’m really excited!

That’s too funny bc she has a RB cluster halo pendant that she wears daily!! We could be twins :appl: It is beautiful, I just may have to do that! Extra bling sure can’t hurt :D

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for keeping the ring! Congrats, @JLS! She’s really a beauty!

I know decisions about big ticket items such as jewelry are never easy to make and always compel us to second guess ourselves but your “visceral reaction” to it says it all- for me anyways. So wear in good health!

PS: It’s already been a few days since you’ve had her. DSS should be setting in right about now;)2:D.

JLS

Rough_Rock
Yay for keeping the ring! Congrats, @JLS! She’s really a beauty!

I know decisions about big ticket items such as jewelry are never easy to make and always compel us to second guess ourselves but your “visceral reaction” to it says it all- for me anyways. So wear in good health!

PS: It’s already been a few days since you’ve had her. DSS should be setting in right about now;)2:D.

Thanks so much!! I’m so glad I didn’t let the doubt win!

... and yep, it totally has :lol-2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you are keeping it!! It just looks so beautiful on your finger, and it is such a special and romantic ring. I

JLS

Rough_Rock
I'm glad you are keeping it!! It just looks so beautiful on your finger, and it is such a special and romantic ring. I

Thanks so much!! It really does have such a romantic and ethereal feel :))

Reactions: AV_

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so happy you’re keeping her! Enjoy your exquisite new ring!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics!!!!!!! Please!!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
I found a better page with several rose cut rings pictured on multiple pages. Maybe it will help you decide if you really want a rose cut engagement ring. The ring in the post above this one was also made by this person:

Wow, these designs are so gorgeous!! Makes me want to reset my ER!!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! That's a GORGEOUS ring. I'm truly drooling.. want one of my own!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results