shape
carat
color
clarity

What do our friends from the other side of the pond think about Megan Markle, and what kind of ring

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering if they would hurt also @lyra . I would be terrified it would fall off my head.

Diana complained that the tiara she wore on her wedding day, gave her a headache by the end of the day. Probably just the start of a number of headaches as her life went on.:roll

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this is a good link. All the tiaras are described. The Fringe Tiara is nothing to sneeze at! Both Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II and The Princess Royal (who at her first wedding was The Princess Anne) chose The Fringe Tiara for their wedding days! Meghan Markle is being offered a great tiara by being offered that one, even if you find it boring!

https://www.harpersbazaar.com.au/celebrity/meghan-markle-wedding-tiara-14756

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Oh my gosh how beautiful! Thank you for posting. I LOVE the Lotus Flower tiara the most with the crescent one coming in second.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard on the news that the Queen will not attend the wedding, not because she is the Queen but because she is the head of the Church of England and Meghan is divorced. The Queen will attend the reception. For those of you more in the know, is there any truth to this?
And, thanks for those who have posted links to royal jewels.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, she didn’t attend her son, Charles’s second wedding because of this so it would seem somewhat hypocritical to attend this wedding without misgiving. Although she did attend the religious blessing Charles had after his civil ceremony. There’s been some muttering (mostly Daily Mail so not necessarily reliable!) that because Meghan got married previously on a beach it doesn’t matter :think:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diana complained that the tiara she wore on her wedding day, gave her a headache by the end of the day.

Yes, The late Diana, Princess of Wales told her brother, the present Earl Spencer, that the tiara she had worn all morning the day of her wedding gave her a terrible headache. She was, at that point, totally unused to wearing a tiara. She went on to wear that tiara many times, however. It was not a tiara belonging to The Royal Family, but was The Spencer Tiara, belonging to her own family. Many people came to confuse it with royal tiaras because she was to wear it on many occasions in the future. There were other tiaras belonging to The Royal Family which did give her headaches even after she became accustomed to tiaras, though. She avoided those.

This is the tiara that Lady Diana wore when she married The Prince of Wales.

The SpencerTiara.jpg

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, thank you for the link! I think it will depend upon the style of her dress. I wouldn't sneeze at any of them, and she will look amazing whichever she picks!!:appl:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_6247.PNG
Apparently the jeweler who made the ring has been inundated with requests for copies. They are refusing to make another one like this.
Here's another pic. Still can't quite identify the center stone.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she will wear the Strathmore Rose tiara because it hasn't been seen for decades and it's very modest. Kate is a future queen and outranks Meghan, so it would be hard for Meghan to wear a larger, flashier tiara than Kate wore. I'm surprised the magazine included the Fringe tiara - the queen wore it on her wedding day and so did Anne, the daughter of the Sovereign. Harry and his (future) family are well down the pecking order, and pushed further down with each baby that William and Kate have - and also the Royal Family barely knows Meghan. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I think it's very unlikely that Meghan would get to wear the same tiara the queen wore on her wedding day.

As an aside, I think the Garrard tiara that Fergie wore to get married was really stunning. It's barely been seen since. I wonder what happened to it? I expect Beatrice and Eugenie will wear it on their wedding days.

I was very surprised (and disappointed) that Kate wore such a tiny tiara on her wedding day. It didn't even sparkle very much - unlike Diana's that flashed fiercely under the lights - and the top of Kate's tiara didn't even reach above the crown of her head, so the entire thing got lost against her veil. As the future queen, I'd have expected her to be in something much bigger.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I'm disappointed in Meghan's ring. The diamond is sizeable but the whole design is so ordinary, especially considering he is a royal prince and could have bought her any ring in the world. The oblong shape and the rounds also don't look right to me, aesthetically. I mean, it's nice and all, but to me it just isn't a stunner.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I envisaged Meghan in something more like this:

11440-Estate-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-TV.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I envisaged Kate in a ring like this, emerald to go with her green eyes and a beautiful timeless design, unlike that Eighties Dynasty-style monstrosity she got stuck with, in a color that doesn't even go with her palette!

Me should never choose engagement rings, lol!

art_deco_engagement_ring_2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she will wear the Strathmore Rose tiara because it hasn't been seen for decades and it's very modest. Kate is a future queen and outranks Meghan, so it would be hard for Meghan to wear a larger, flashier tiara than Kate wore.

I love The Strathmore Rose Tiara. It belonged to Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, but she when she was married she wore only flowers in her hair! No tiara. She was marrying a younger son, after all, and had no idea that one day she would become Queen Consort!

AGBF

TheQueenMother.jpg

Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon marrying Prince Albert

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kate must have access to the Queen’s huge treasure trove of jewellery yet she hardly wears any of it and often chooses “off the peg” pieces when out in public. I’m sad about that as I feel more of the stash should be on display but it makes me wonder if she really isn’t that fussed about jewellery at all. Compare her with other European Royal young women, say Maxima of the Netherlands who is always blinged out wherever she goes!

Neither Kate’s nor Meghan’s rings excite me much but both young men gave them with feeling and emotion. Harry in particular clearly put some thought and effort into the design. They both wanted a memory of their mother to be with them every day, which is sentimental but sweet.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kate must have access to the Queen’s huge treasure trove of jewellery yet she hardly wears any of it and often chooses “off the peg” pieces when out in public.
...​
Compare her with other European Royal young women, say Maxima of the Netherlands who is always blinged out wherever she goes!

I would like to make two comments.

First, I do not believe that anyone has unfettered access to Her Majesty's jewelry. I believe that a piece of jewelry is always lent to someone at the Queen's pleasure. I cannot imagine The Duchess of Cambridge rummaging around and asking for any piece of jewelry that she fancied borrowing! The Queen only lends pieces that she does not care for herself and appears to make judicious decisions about when and to whom she lends them.

Second, Maxima is now Queen Consort of The Netherlands. The Duchess of Cambridge is merely married to to the the prince who is second in the line of succession. When she becomes The Princess of Wales and The Queen Consort she will be expected to wear more jewelry.

AGBF

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My take is that as royals, they CAN’T have particularly fancy or flashy e-rings because they need to protect their image as sensible, low-profile, not crazy and benevolent etc. They have enough money for a 10ct ring or 50ct or whatever but every newspaper would jump on that and they would look bad/profligate compared to all the other moderate, somewhat sensible-looking (for a person with unlimited cash) royal e-rings.

Same if they started wearing different royal jewelry pieces all the time, the newspapers and tabloids would pick up on that with nasty provocative headlines and it would be terrible publicity.

Just a guess

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I think Kate wanted flowers in her hair, but was told that she had to wear a tiera. I don’t think she is a jewelry girl, unlike Diana who always wore great jewelry, and always found unique ways to wear them, ie that gorgeous emerald and diamond necklace that she wore in her hair, just brilliant!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, I do love to discuss the British Royals!

I remember reading that Kate did want flowers in her hair. But I guess if you're marrying the future Sovereign in Westminster Abbey, that's not gonna fly!

I would love to know if the smallest tiara was Kate's choice or if she had the option of going much bigger. Maybe she did have the option, which means that Meghan might have the option as well. So perhaps we will see Meghan in something quite big after all. I'm more interested in the tiara than the dress! But perhaps she won't wear a tiara at all, which would be terrible! :errrr:

I also read that Kate told one of her friends when she was in her mid/late teens that all she wanted when she grew up was to have a house in the country with lots of children and lots of dogs. I think she married the wrong man for that!! But I don't think she is really into all the glitzy stuff, the jewels and the events - I think she's a homebody. As her life goes on and she becomes Princess of Wales and then Queen Consort, the demands on her will increase greatly.

Also, I agree that she's probably not overly into jewelry. I've noticed that she wears a lot of inexpensive vermeil pieces, and while there's nothing wrong with vermeil, people who really love jewelry and who also have her kind of money would usually wear solid metal, I think.

I've noticed that she doesn't even have some of the staples of a jewelry wardrobe, such as a pair of simple but stunning diamond studs and a diamond solitaire necklace. If I had her money, I'd have the best of those that money can buy without being too blingy and OTT (maybe 1.5 ct per ear, DEF/VS1), and a solitaire of 2 cts, same specs. It would be a priority for me! I find it quite amazing that a future queen doesn't have a good pair of diamond studs. You'd think William would have seen her right in that regard! I think she just isn't a true jewelry person, although she does have a beautiful collection of Kiki McDonough pieces.

Perhaps we should have a whip-round and send her a pair of studs! :lol-2:

She does have that pair of white topaz studs surrounded by diamonds from Kiki, but they're great big pieces of topaz. Not the same as diamond!

I agree that the ring I posted for Meghan is too similar to Camilla's. I see Meghan as a modern woman who would suit the clean, icy lines of an emerald-cut diamond. But I'm sure she loves what she has.

Also agree that the royals can't be seen as too frivolous....but then, Kate does wear many designer outfits costing thousands, plus many new Kiki pieces which aren't cheap. Hmm. Not sure where the parameters are.

Oh - and Kate doesn't seem to get anything from Tiffany! Man, if I married a prince, I'd be ripping that place up like a puppy let loose in a rug store!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see Megan wear the Spencer tiara.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh - and Kate doesn't seem to get anything from Tiffany! Man, if I married a prince, I'd be ripping that place up like a puppy let loose in a rug store!
I think Tiffany is the Kay's of the jewelry world when it comes to the insanely rich as compared to Chopard, Buccellati, Van Cleef & Arpels, Cartier, Harry Winston, just imo of course.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata, you have pierced my heart.

If were mega-rich, I would still shop at Tiffany.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see Megan wear the Spencer tiara.

That is highly unlikely. The Spencer Family, which has two famous tiaras including the one lady Diana wore at her wedding, has no reason to lend one to The Royal Family. The first wife of the current Earl Spencer wore it at her wedding to him. It will now be worn by the current Countess Spencer, who is his third wife, the Canadian born former Mrs. Karen Gordon.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oooh, I do love to discuss the British Royals!

I remember reading that Kate did want flowers in her hair. But I guess if you're marrying the future Sovereign in Westminster Abbey, that's not gonna fly!

I would love to know if the smallest tiara was Kate's choice or if she had the option of going much bigger. Maybe she did have the option, which means that Meghan might have the option as well. So perhaps we will see Meghan in something quite big after all. I'm more interested in the tiara than the dress! But perhaps she won't wear a tiara at all, which would be terrible! :errrr:

I also read that Kate told one of her friends when she was in her mid/late teens that all she wanted when she grew up was to have a house in the country with lots of children and lots of dogs. I think she married the wrong man for that!! But I don't think she is really into all the glitzy stuff, the jewels and the events - I think she's a homebody. As her life goes on and she becomes Princess of Wales and then Queen Consort, the demands on her will increase greatly.

Also, I agree that she's probably not overly into jewelry. I've noticed that she wears a lot of inexpensive vermeil pieces, and while there's nothing wrong with vermeil, people who really love jewelry and who also have her kind of money would usually wear solid metal, I think.

I've noticed that she doesn't even have some of the staples of a jewelry wardrobe, such as a pair of simple but stunning diamond studs and a diamond solitaire necklace. If I had her money, I'd have the best of those that money can buy without being too blingy and OTT (maybe 1.5 ct per ear, DEF/VS1), and a solitaire of 2 cts, same specs. It would be a priority for me! I find it quite amazing that a future queen doesn't have a good pair of diamond studs. You'd think William would have seen her right in that regard! I think she just isn't a true jewelry person, although she does have a beautiful collection of Kiki McDonough pieces.

Perhaps we should have a whip-round and send her a pair of studs! :lol-2:

She does have that pair of white topaz studs surrounded by diamonds from Kiki, but they're great big pieces of topaz. Not the same as diamond!

I agree that the ring I posted for Meghan is too similar to Camilla's. I see Meghan as a modern woman who would suit the clean, icy lines of an emerald-cut diamond. But I'm sure she loves what she has.

Also agree that the royals can't be seen as too frivolous....but then, Kate does wear many designer outfits costing thousands, plus many new Kiki pieces which aren't cheap. Hmm. Not sure where the parameters are.

I doubt she owns many of the designer outfits, they are mostly rented by stylists unless you see her wearing the same thing a couple of times. Also good publicity for the designers so they may gift/loan some of them. It sounds like she’s purposefully supporting a UK designer by wearing her items (so she or her PR has a motive for doing so), so she becomes somewhat accessible, rather than going for overly large and visible diamonds that may have her perceived as rich/spoiled/less relatable. Also I 100% agree with you that she probably doesn’t care about diamonds or jewelry as much as we do ;-)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are great pictures. He has grown up so much.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww... sooo adorable!!
I don't know, I really like the royals. From the duty - obsessed Queen to the totally un - PC but kinda cool Prince Phillip to Charles, who seems a bit awkward and relatable to Camilla, who's somehow grown into her role...
And the young generation seems to genuinely nice people who have their priorities straight!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really love our royal family. They sometimes get such a hard time in the press. People calling William and Catherine lazy and work shy. The queen is my favourite. She has committed her life to this country and I will be so sad when she goes. I have to hope that Charles steps aside and let’s William become King but I’m pretty sure this won’t happen.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not looking forward to King Charles. He just lacks charisma or something. But on the other hand, I wouldn't want William pushed into the position too soon, because it really is a huge amount of commitment and responsibility. I'd rather he was able to see his kids grow up more and just be himself as long as possible. It must be overwhelming. I can't believe people would call them lazy. They have almost zero freedom, unlike the rest of us.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think with Charles there would be the concern about Camilla being his queen. There are many here who are still loyal to Diana. It would seem that William coming to the throne next would sort of create a clean slate. And remember the Queen was crowned when she was just 25 and she has been an excellent monarch.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Also, I'm disappointed in Meghan's ring. The diamond is sizeable but the whole design is so ordinary, especially considering he is a royal prince and could have bought her any ring in the world. The oblong shape and the rounds also don't look right to me, aesthetically. I mean, it's nice and all, but to me it just isn't a stunner.

I completely agree.

Pretty, but boring. The rounds should have been traps or something. If the rounds are sentimental, I’d change them out later and put them in earrings, or choose a diamond shape that goes with the rounds.

Better yet, go coloured stone or coloured diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results