shape
carat
color
clarity

What constitutes an inspired by piece vs. stealing designs?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: What constitutes an inspired by piece vs. stealing desig

I want to see the sugarloaf now. Can someone link me? I love sugarloafs. And I am rarely on CS or SMTB so I miss these goodies.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gaaaaahh. That stone is freaking ridiculous.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

This thread is ridiculous. :hand: There are very few designs that aren't inspired by existing pieces already. PS used to be a great place where you went to for help. If you wanted a tiffany solstice but didn't want the Tiffany name folks were happy to spout off vendors who could make exact copies. I have zero problem with copying or having my designs copied for the most part. I have copied several PSers ring in the past, hey imitation is the highest form of flattery right?! I find it amusing to the say the least that everyone is up in arms about this issue when they are wearing knock of Harry Winston Halos or Tiffany solitaries by designers who are doing the same thing. Instead of getting your blood pressure up realize competition is a good thing and these jewelry pieces make their owners happy.

Side Note- Hey traveling gal!!!!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Oh and interestingly enough someone just alerted me on FB that an eternity I had custom made is now a CVB exclusive design. Though I had it made years ago by another PS vendor and it is absolutely an exact copy from what I can see on the website. It happens, all vendors do it.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621|1472820998|4072525 said:
Oh and interestingly enough someone just alerted me on FB that an eternity I had custom made is now a CVB exclusive design. Though I had it made years ago by another PS vendor and it is absolutely an exact copy from what I can see on the website. It happens, all vendors do it.

If it weren't for the photography I'd have a very hard time telling CvB stuff from designs I was looking at prior by Erika Winters.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621 - people who pay a small fortune for something like a Robinson ring or piece designed exclusively for them getting upset when it gets copied is about as ridiculously stupid & ironic as someone from here getting poopy or their "blood pressure up" when I attempted to sell "that pear" for what it owed me (even though it was worth more), especially when at the time the vendor that purchased it then over doubled (and almost tripled) my asking price of it..... :roll:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not many bands are original designs and I am 100% sure CVB wouldn't claim that all of hers are original! Pave and antique style bands are sold by thousands of jewelers. Very few are original designs.

General comments to other posts:

On the other hand, I have looked at a lot of rings and the Chloe ring is very original even though it is an antique style design. DK could have easily taken the model and changed the gallery or shoulders and made it different for the client. That is done all the time and I am pretty open to adaptations of original designs. That said, if I wanted the Chloe, I'd go to Caysie. If I wanted the Erika Winters Margot, I'd go to her. I definitely think you get the best outcome with the original designer in most cases. Why mess with perfection? It is totally worth what you pay, in my opinion. Tiffany Soleste? Not one single thing is original about a double halo. They have been around a lot longer than the Soleste!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1472828412|4072563 said:

If it weren't for the photography I'd have a very hard time telling CvB stuff from designs I was looking at prior by Erika Winters.

Wow, both Caysie and Erika have great designs, but I don't see that they are all that similar other than they are both producing original designs that are pleasing to buyers at this point in time. You could say there are slight similarities with SingleStone and other designers, too. But again, these are the kinds of designs that are popular today and each designer makes unique contributions to their lines.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't say that to insult or imply either designer is stealing, so don't misunderstand. I just don't get the hubbub about this. No design is 10000% never-been-done.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just think it is common courtesy if a vendor is asked to copy an original design that the vendor say, sure, but let's change a couple of elements so we aren't making an exact copy. Let's make it your own! That is what most reputable vendors will say when asked that question. I agree that most designs are not 100% original (let's face it, most shanks are round or euro), but some are unique and I am pretty sure ring makers like Victor, Erika, Michael R, and other designers would be very displeased to see an exact copy of one of their original designs made by someone else.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

arkieb1|1472830335|4072576 said:
SB621 - people who pay a small fortune for something like a Robinson ring or piece designed exclusively for them getting upset when it gets copied is about as ridiculously stupid & ironic as someone from here getting poopy or their "blood pressure up" when I attempted to sell "that pear" for what it owed me (even though it was worth more), especially when at the time the vendor that purchased it then over doubled (and almost tripled) my asking price of it..... :roll:

Good to see not much has changed! :bigsmile: :hand: :naughty: :rolleyes: :roll:

SB621

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1472832054|4072583 said:

Not many bands are original designs and I am 100% sure CVB wouldn't claim that all of hers are original! Pave and antique style bands are sold by thousands of jewelers. Very few are original designs.

Sorry DS, I know you use CVB but it is absolutely a carbon copy of my my very distinct, non pave band. I absolutely don't care she copied it. But it is rather interesting to see that the pot should be calling the kettle black.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621|1472839586|4072650 said:

Sorry DS, I know you use CVB but it is absolutely a carbon copy of my my very distinct, non pave band. I absolutely don't care she copied it. But it is rather interesting to see that the pot should be calling the kettle black.

So which of her bands is the exact copy of yours? You haven't posted many of your things here in the last few years, so it somewhat surprises me that she would have even seen it. I have been around and I don't know what bands you have other than what I can see in your current avatar pic! I believe what you are saying, but I just haven't seen many totally unique bands.

Are you back in the US? It's good to see you around again!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi DS - I think it's SB621's octagon eternity.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean|1472841838|4072653 said:

Oh, surely that is not what she meant. Hers is definitely not an original design because it is an old design. I forgot that she had one (it's gorgeous!), but asscher girl got a vintage one in 2010 that originated from Dover jewelers back in 2008. I remember this band because it is in most of asscher girl's profile pictures with her gorgeous EC ring! SB had hers made in 2013, apparently.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-art-deco-diamond-eternity-that-i-couldnt-pass-up-again.133572/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-art-deco-diamond-eternity-that-i-couldnt-pass-up-again.133572/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-journey-is-over-4-31ctw-art-deco-eternity-by-jbeg.191661/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-journey-is-over-4-31ctw-art-deco-eternity-by-jbeg.191661/[/URL]

SB621

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1472841508|4072652 said:
SB621|1472839586|4072650 said:

So which of her bands is the exact copy of yours? You haven't posted many of your things here in the last few years, so it somewhat surprises me that she would have even seen it. I have been around and I don't know what bands you have other than what I can see in your current avatar pic! I believe what you are saying, but I just haven't seen many totally unique bands.

Are you back in the US? It's good to see you around again!

Nope still in Europe for another 18 months which we are thrilled about. Instead of a jewelry fund we pretty much travel non stop with the kids! Really enjoy our time here.

And as Pinto mentioned below it is my Hexagon eternity band. I have seen it redone a few times in the last few years from several PS vendors, all after I posted mine. It has always been a carbon copy of my version. My own ring was inspired by 2 antique bands, 1 which was owned by a PSer (edit I see you found her and yes that is the band but there are big differences between the 2). The design was absolutely not original to anyone just a mash up of 2 eternities. If you put mine next tot he CVB version it is a carbon copy though. ok now i'm just rambling! But the point is that obviously all vendors do it. Call it inspired by, copy or whatever you want.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Caysie actually made a copy of a very generous PSer's band set. Hers was the original from Van Craeynest. The company was (temporarily?) out of service. Caysie did not object at all when I contacted her...
So indeed: every jeweller seem to copy to some extent.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh wow, you are sooo lucky to have had all that time in Europe!!! Bling can wait, but those experiences can never be replaced!

Antique/vintage rings are fair game for all vendors to reproduce. The antique ring similar to the one CVB made has been posted publicly on PS since January 2010 which was a few years before yours was made. So it's really not fair to accuse her of copying your ring because what she did was reproduce an antique design ring which has been around probably since the deco period. I think hers looks more like the antique one, really.

(top: antique ring/asscher girl 2010, middle: CVB ring, bottom: SB's ring, 2013)

hexagonalvintageasschergirl.jpg

hexagonal.jpg

_38140.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1472843555|4072659 said:

Oh, surely that is not what she meant. Hers is definitely not an original design because it is an old design. I forgot that she had one (it's gorgeous!), but asscher girl got a vintage one in 2010 that originated from Dover jewelers back in 2008. I remember this band because it is in most of asscher girl's profile pictures with her gorgeous EC ring! SB had hers made in 2013, apparently.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-art-deco-diamond-eternity-that-i-couldnt-pass-up-again.133572/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-art-deco-diamond-eternity-that-i-couldnt-pass-up-again.133572/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-journey-is-over-4-31ctw-art-deco-eternity-by-jbeg.191661/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-journey-is-over-4-31ctw-art-deco-eternity-by-jbeg.191661/[/URL]

Actually asscher girl got the band from Neatfreak who had it before that and posted it on here.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621|1472839198|4072647 said:
arkieb1|1472830335|4072576 said:

Good to see not much has changed! :bigsmile: :hand: :naughty: :rolleyes: :roll:

Good to see you back again :dance:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:rolleyes:

This emoticon is all I have time for.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom|1472778567|4072428 said:
evergreen|1472776132|4072422 said:
Oh, it's one of Acinom's beautifully engraved DK rings. It's not my intent to turn this into specific guidance about whether MY appropriation of HER (& DK's) design is sufficiently different. I wanted to know the community's thoughts about "inspired by" when it's not a designer appropriating another designer's piece, but another PSer reusing a posted, recognizable, custom design. It's been addressed briefly in this thread but with widely ranging attitudes (from "flattered" to "horrified"). When you don't know how the person will feel, how do you approach it?

Aww, thank you!! I feel very flattered indeed. I post my rings online on PS and I do not mind at all if people are inspired by it and copy the ring exactly or have an inspired version created. I let myself inspire by stones and settings as well. For me, that's in part what an online forum is about.
To copy among PS friends for me is a completely different thing (since we are scattered among the globe) compared to copying ones neighbours or friends. And even in that case I would be flattered if a person is upfront about it.

Not many designs are truly unique anyway in fashion and jewelry...

I have been following this thread Acinom and really didn't know it was a ring of yours, but I must say again, your rings, your taste, your kindness, your true love of colored stones and diamonds ALWAYS comes across the web when I read your posts.. I love your rings, I would die to have any one of them.. I appreciate your class and caring and your posting your gorgeous rings! class act ALL THE WAY.. thank you for posting and having the class to design and share what are the most gorgeous rings I have ever seen.

Peace.

:wavey: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1472849431|4072689 said:
diamondseeker2006|1472843555|4072659 said:

Actually asscher girl got the band from Neatfreak who had it before that and posted it on here.

Yes, the 2008 buyer was Neatfreak! I just remembered the ring was asscher girl's now, and she did explain in her thread that she had missed out when Dover was first selling it but later bought it from Neatfreak. Love how that worked out!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock

Acinom|1472844918|4072667 said:
Caysie actually made a copy of a very generous PSer's band set. Hers was the original from Van Craeynest. The company was (temporarily?) out of service. Caysie did not object at all when I contacted her...

Are you talking about your flamingo set? https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-flamboyance-of-flamingos.210374/

The one that apacherose gave the go ahead of the copy of VanCraeynest ?

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

madelise said:
:rolleyes:

This emoticon is all I have time for.
You took the emoticon right out of my mouth.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

oh dear

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Resonance.Of.Life|1472860448|4072735 said:
Acinom|1472844918|4072667 said:

Are you talking about your flamingo set? https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-flamboyance-of-flamingos.210374/

The one that apacherose gave the go ahead of the copy of VanCraeynest ?

That's correct! My set was created in honor of apacheroses beautiful set. Though I feel that no jeweller can truly capture the true Van Craeynest look and feel. I hope they will go back in business again.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the kind words Gypsy and Tekate :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results