shape
carat
color
clarity

What color polish are you rocking right now?

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Painted Polish Sugar Rush Crush. Loving this look with the flakes. Reminds me of old china dinnerware.
IMG_20180625_090354.jpg

I love flakies! I agree, it is evocative of china dinnerware and very pretty!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m the resident story teller.
My first experience with nail extensions is a hoot.
Back in the “olden days” you had acrylic nail extensions. A sort of plastic nail shape was stuck on with super glue then they went over it with a thick paste that dried hard which they then filed down and shaped.
I had, quite literally, two inch talons glue on and painted fire engine red. Wow.
Left the salon and went to my car in the car park. Oh O.
My door handles are the “lift up type” and I can’t open the door. I’m trying to use my knuckles, the side of my hand without luck. An elderly gent comes over to see what my problem is. I show him my new nails!
He open the door for me and home I can go.
Then I discover going to the bathroom, ie the zipper on my jeans is a problem. Later that night my Mum has to unbutton both my blouse and bra.
How embarrassing.
Off to work on the Monday I proudly show off my new nails to a colleague.
OMG she says, how can you do anything with them that long?
It’s a big problem I admit, but hey, don’t us gals have to suffer for fashion!
No, you goose, you ask the nail technician to trim them down to a normal length.
Oh.

That's funny. You almost don't realize how much you use your fingertips for basic everyday tasks until something like that happens. I'm seriously impaired when my nails grow more than 1/4 inch, or 5mm, past the fingertips. I try to compensate by using the sides of the fingers for everything but you know, I can't pick up things or open things properly like that. Hence I am always filing them down. And omg the clicking sounds they make when I type or use the phone....I'm sure it drives people mad.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the rounded shape! I read somewhere, a while back, that the shape of the nail should reflect the shape of the base of the nail/cuticle. Probably just one person's opinion, but I think the rounded shape does a nice job of doing that on you. Of course, if you continue to not like it, it will grow out, and no long term damage done. Either way, you have pretty hands and nails.

Aw thanks for liking them. I also read the thing about matching the shape to that of the cuticles. I think I am too used to seeing square, squarish, or coffin shapes from all the trawling I do on the internet for nail polish swatches. Every nail swatcher seems to be keeping squarish shapes. Of course in real life that's not the case. :lol:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Has anyone tried the MATTE Nail Envy? If so, does it leave your nails looking bare/natural (as opposed to glossy).

I'm wondering because now at work, there is a rule on no fake nails including all enhancements. I take that to mean no acrylics, silk wraps, tips, glued on things, etc. However nail polish was also included in the interpretation of that so no more nail polish for me sad :((

I'm wondering if I can put the Matte Nail Envy and hope that prevents the nails from breaking and peeling like mad at least? I've gone through many bottles of the glossy version, but not the matte. Please let me know if you know any other product that goes on "invisible". Say, invisible enough that even a man with nail problems could wear it. Is there even such a thing???

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I did something I don't even like at all....I rounded my nails for no reason. I had the urge to change the mani since it's been like six days hence the growth gap, but I am making myself avoid polish remover as much as possible. So what did I do? I instead just filed my nails round. It will take a good while to go back to the square shape but the damage is done already.
The polish is China Glaze Dashboard Dreamer over white.

I like 'em but I'm an almond/stiletto person, so I think they could go even rounder/pointier :mrgreen2:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m the resident story teller.
My first experience with nail extensions is a hoot.
Back in the “olden days” you had acrylic nail extensions. A sort of plastic nail shape was stuck on with super glue then they went over it with a thick paste that dried hard which they then filed down and shaped.
I had, quite literally, two inch talons glue on and painted fire engine red. Wow.
Left the salon and went to my car in the car park. Oh O.
My door handles are the “lift up type” and I can’t open the door. I’m trying to use my knuckles, the side of my hand without luck. An elderly gent comes over to see what my problem is. I show him my new nails!
He open the door for me and home I can go.
Then I discover going to the bathroom, ie the zipper on my jeans is a problem. Later that night my Mum has to unbutton both my blouse and bra.
How embarrassing.
Off to work on the Monday I proudly show off my new nails to a colleague.
OMG she says, how can you do anything with them that long?
It’s a big problem I admit, but hey, don’t us gals have to suffer for fashion!
No, you goose, you ask the nail technician to trim them down to a normal length.
Oh.

Hee hee, too funny! I have had nails on the longer side... but only by growing them out, slowly. Then it's a gradual adaptation. If I were to try to go from short to long (with extentions) it's too much of a jump!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone tried the MATTE Nail Envy? If so, does it leave your nails looking bare/natural (as opposed to glossy).

I'm wondering because now at work, there is a rule on no fake nails including all enhancements. I take that to mean no acrylics, silk wraps, tips, glued on things, etc. However nail polish was also included in the interpretation of that so no more nail polish for me sad :((

I'm wondering if I can put the Matte Nail Envy and hope that prevents the nails from breaking and peeling like mad at least? I've gone through many bottles of the glossy version, but not the matte. Please let me know if you know any other product that goes on "invisible". Say, invisible enough that even a man with nail problems could wear it. Is there even such a thing???
That's terrible. Even nudes and such? Is it the glossy part that's not allowed and you want matte option? Can you wear clear nail treatments like OPI Gel break or the new Essie treatment line?

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's terrible. Even nudes and such? Is it the glossy part that's not allowed and you want matte option? Can you wear clear nail treatments like OPI Gel break or the new Essie treatment line?

I think it's just people think any stuff on nails is unhygienic. There are some at work that wear shellac or gel nonstop, who have yet to find about the new rules...I think that will be a more difficult of a change, just stopping having gel nails like that. At least with nail polish you do get to see your natural bare nails more often??? Anyways I don't even wanna wear sheers or nudes, just because I don't like having to explain stuff. Like as in "but hey my polish is intact and no chips" or "but hey there are no gaps between polish and nail which cannot be cleaned" etc. Not everybody knows or cares much about manicure so yeah....I just hate to explain myself like that.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So this guy is coming off tonight....it's Jessica Tutti Frutti. I highly highly recommend you do not buy any of light colored Jessica polishes. Or any Jessica polish. I bought like 12 of them a while ago, all in light colors. They are extremely flawed with impossible downfalls which you cannot overcome. As in 1) not opaque after 5 coats, nail line is always gonna be visible 2) not ever completely dry even if you only do 1-2 coats only, as in you can dent and move polish in layers the next day, and 3) will shrink like mad if you get fed up after waiting 12 hours for it to dry and finally put a quick dry top coat on it. Never came across more ridiculous polishes ever.
IMG_20180628_160758.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's just people think any stuff on nails is unhygienic. There are some at work that wear shellac or gel nonstop, who have yet to find about the new rules...I think that will be a more difficult of a change, just stopping having gel nails like that. At least with nail polish you do get to see your natural bare nails more often??? Anyways I don't even wanna wear sheers or nudes, just because I don't like having to explain stuff. Like as in "but hey my polish is intact and no chips" or "but hey there are no gaps between polish and nail which cannot be cleaned" etc. Not everybody knows or cares much about manicure so yeah....I just hate to explain myself like that.
Oh jeez, the women who constantly wear gel or shellac are going to be very upset because their naked nails will likely look horrible. My nails need at least a strengthener so they don't break and peel. If your workplace has a lot of women, watch out for a revolt:eek2:

FWIW, there are polish brands for Muslim women who need to be compliant with rules under Koran. Those formulas are water-permeable so nothing is left "unclean."

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you don't mind sharing, what field do you work in, that your employer can suddenly ban the use of nail polish? Food service? Healthcare? not sure what else it might be.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you don't mind sharing, what field do you work in, that your employer can suddenly ban the use of nail polish? Food service? Healthcare? not sure what else it might be.

It's healthcare. In general I expect anti-"nail stuffs" sentiments since school days and am used to it now. I always see people who cheat though, getting French manicure in gels or acrylic even. I really don't like to alternate between polish and bare nails since I would take care of polished nails and bare nails differently so I am probably going to leave the nails alone for a while!

Last edited:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh jeez, the women who constantly wear gel or shellac are going to be very upset because their naked nails will likely look horrible. My nails need at least a strengthener so they don't break and peel. If your workplace has a lot of women, watch out for a revolt:eek2:

FWIW, there are polish brands for Muslim women who need to be compliant with rules under Koran. Those formulas are water-permeable so nothing is left "unclean."

Oh man it can certainly look ugly, but what's worse, I'd be more scared od the nail tearing or something. This once I had punctured nail beds after acrylics came off. It hurt like crap, I had bruises everywhere and I actually could not grab or pick up stuff because the finger pressure from those hand movements would crush the skin under the nails. Talk about instant disability! Took forever to recover and my nails grow fast! So yeah if constant gels can lead to really thin nails I can see how it would almost be not possible to quit it ike that?

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Cockatiel, I am so going to miss your nail shots!!:cry2:
Is Zoya Naked Manicure something you could consider, or is that still too polish-y?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anyone doing a special manicure for the 4th?

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OPI 2018 F/W Peru collection reviews are being posted on the internet, and I must say I am really disappointed. I can see why people who have already been collecting for a while might not want to pick up these polishes. Seriously the colors are so dupeable and um kind of close to each other anyways. I loved the France and Russian collections as far as their F/W collections go and the Nordic collection from few years was OK...

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree @Cockatiel. When I think of Peru, I don't think of bunch of neutrals. Half of the collection looks like the Zoya Naturel and whatever last nudes collection from OPI was called. Peru colors in my mind look vibrant and not dusty mauve.
6272065974_ff57b2af57_b.jpg

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Totally agree @Cockatiel. When I think of Peru, I don't think of bunch of neutrals. Half of the collection looks like the Zoya Naturel and whatever last nudes collection from OPI was called. Peru colors in my mind look vibrant and not dusty mauve.
6272065974_ff57b2af57_b.jpg

I know...so disappointed. And I do gravitate towards light dusty colors even! My favorite OPI collection was probably the Stranger Tides collection, which was all about dusty shades. But this collection is so lacking in variety, I'm just not feeling it, and I heard the bits about those non-red colors being 3 coaters and I was just like :rolleyes:.... Like why is there a need for a 12 piece collection full of 3 coater peach/pink/lavender/whatever colors.

I wasn't crazy for their 2017 F/W Iceland collection (also very dusty looking in general), but that had at least a little bit more variety. Seriously ever since the California collection I feel like OPI is just pumping out those similar peach creams every collection. Actually going back to 2015 Venice, they had that peach shade Great Opera-tunity which I feel was brought back sooo many times since then with slight changes in the amount of white/pink/orange whatever. Actually I don't think I've bought a single OPI from their 2017 or 2018 collections...

On the other hand, China Glaze and Color Club had better 2017 Fall collections in my opinion and I'm looking forward to their fall collections.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm nude at the moment :lol: naked nails! I cut my remaining nails down. I have a new magnetic blue one to try called Magneto - but it was too hot and sunny in my parents garden on Saturday & I couldn't do it. Might do them this evening. Got some other new ones on the way.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wore this yesterday...I didn't even try to get it on nicely because I needed to take it off today. This is Jessica Juicy Melon, a supposed dupe of Chanel Orange Fizz. I don't have the Chanel, so no idea how it compares. It falls between Essie Carousel Coral and Essie Tart Deco.

IMG_20180701_154756.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any tried and true recommendation on dry cuticle care? I would find time to actually put my own polish on my nails if my cuticles weren't such a hot mess. I feel like there's no point in polishing when the cuticle isn't clean, and I just don't have the time to go to the salon right now...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the thread that never ends! Who knew 5 years ago when I started it would keep going! Lots of beautiful nails and inspirations!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any tried and true recommendation on dry cuticle care? I would find time to actually put my own polish on my nails if my cuticles weren't such a hot mess. I feel like there's no point in polishing when the cuticle isn't clean, and I just don't have the time to go to the salon right now...

Cuticle or nail oil, have you tried either? Even the cheap ones you can get from discount stores work really well I think.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use OPI avioplex cuticle oil or argan oil. There are cuticle oil pens available that are very convenient too. The trick is to use cuticle oil on regular basis. I have it sitting on my desk right by monitor so I see it and remember to apply while I'm typing.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore this yesterday...I didn't even try to get it on nicely because I needed to take it off today. This is Jessica Juicy Melon, a supposed dupe of Chanel Orange Fizz. I don't have the Chanel, so no idea how it compares. It falls between Essie Carousel Coral and Essie Tart Deco.
Too funny. Couple years ago I spent a few hours looking at swatches of those 2 Essie shades trying to pick better one for my skin tone.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Too funny. Couple years ago I spent a few hours looking at swatches of those 2 Essie shades trying to pick better one for my skin tone.

Great minds think alike hahaha. From the swatches I like the color of Carousel Coral the best out of Essie corals. Hands down favorite. However it seemed way too vivid on my hands in real life I don't know why...like orangey red and not like the swatches at all. I held on to it for a long time then gave it away. Tart Deco had way too much white. Corals are tricky for me...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results