shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your thoughts on how government is handling COVID-19

S

SallyB

In my opinion (not based on science) I just don’t think it’s pragmatic to ask young children to wear masks. At the hospital I’ve seen kids trying to eat them, playing with the bands, flicking them at one another, the list goes on. I can’t imagine any teacher or person who spends time around young kids would find this a feasible intervention.

From a safety standpoint, I don’t know that there’s anything intrinsically unsafe about a young child in a mask, at the hospital we often have our immunocompromised patients wear them when they are outside their rooms. But they have direct supervision and sadly are usually quite tired and sick and not looking to find ways to creatively reinterpret how to wear their mask.

The last time I spent significant time around a 6-year-old was when I was 6. That said, I can’t imagine expecting kids to wear masks all day in school and expecting there not to be problems.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then again, kids in Asia wear masks:

I spent some time in grade school in China and went to school in Thailand growing up as well. Granted this was decades ago so things may have changed but the culture of the classrooms felt very different to me compared to my schooling in the US which is to be expected given the different cultures of countries. Things were much more authoritarian there and the popular kids were synonymous with the smart kids and the teachers favorite kid. There was huge social pressure from your peers, and not just the adults, to conform and follow rules. and teachers were allowed to physically reprimand you for disobeying, and in fact at times the whole class could be punished with chores for one kids bad behaviors. In my opinion, not the healthiest psychological approach (that’s a separate rant) but as a kid I did NOT want to be the one getting my class in trouble. And I was a pretty oppositional kid.

Of course I think American kids have the capacity to also wear masks but it’d be more of a challenge to get them (and their parents) onboard I think for a variety of reasons. And school systems are stretched thin as it is even before covid.

Also I would bet good money this photo is not entirely representative of reality lol. I’m sure the teachers there spend a decent amount of time managing the kids in wearing and interacting with the masks properly. They just decided this intervention was worth the difficulty of enforcing it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From our liberal Governor.... :rolleyes:. He will try to keep businesses closed for as long as he can, b/c of his liberal ideologies many of these small businesses in Ca. will close up shop forever...:angryfire:

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From our liberal Governor.... :rolleyes:. He will try to keep businesses closed for as long as he can, b/c of his liberal ideologies many of these small businesses in Ca. will close up shop forever...:angryfire:

I respect the approach Atwater, CA is taking: https://www.mercedsunstar.com/news/coronavirus/article242772536.html

The sanctuary city resolution affirms the city’s commitment to fundamental Constitutional rights. Local officials and residents in attendance made clear their belief that these rights have been stripped recently due to coronavirus-related restrictions.

“We have to base our decisions on the Constitution,” said Atwater business owner Chris Coffelt, who brought copies of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Amendments for each City Councilmember.

“If you receive an order from the governor telling us that we can’t open our business, that’s an illegal order. It’s unconstitutional,” he added.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A great explanation on why we ALL should wear masks.. This guy is brilliant, I think anyone can understand the explanation.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sort of unrelated but I find it humorous/tragic the number of people who will object to a woman breastfeeding in public because it’s “offensive”, and still refuse to wear a mask even though it could saves lives because “my body, my choice”. The mental gymnastics are astounding.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sort of unrelated but I find it humorous/tragic the number of people who will object to a woman breastfeeding in public because it’s “offensive”, and still refuse to wear a mask even though it could saves lives because “my body, my choice”. The mental gymnastics are astounding.

The hypocrisy is rich. :(

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A little off topic, but if you are in a position to, please help out others where you can.

There are so many people who have become unemployed, lost their homes and even some who are now homeless. Families who were already struggling because of poor health+medical expenses and now faced with unemployment and mounting bills.

So please, if you can, donate your time, money or food to your local charity/homeless shelter/food bank etc. Or simply help out a neighbor or friend who is having a hard time.

The world needs more kindness right now.

Q

Queenie60

A little off topic, but if you are in a position to, please help out others where you can.

There are so many people who have become unemployed, lost their homes and even some who are now homeless. Families who were already struggling because of poor health+medical expenses and now faced with unemployment and mounting bills.

So please, if you can, donate your time, money or food to your local charity/homeless shelter/food bank etc. Or simply help out a neighbor or friend who is having a hard time.

The world needs more kindness right now.

Yes, if we all give a little, the world will gain a lot. Thank you for the reminder. My husband and I prefer to help those we know personally, directly with a check, pay their rent or a gift card for the local grocery store. And we have done so prior to the pandemic and especially now.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you are doing so well in the weight department, but I don't think I need to be senstie when it comes to Trump and his obesity, not even a little bit.

When I speak of a person and their weight problems or lack of them be sure I will highlight you and have you take a look for your perusal because we all need a net nanny. But I truly cannot remember making fun of ANYONE with a weight problem, now Trumpski, he started the game of bullying, so it's fair game in my neighborhood..

If Trump doesn't want anyone to mock him, then he shouldn't mock anyone first, he opened the kimono so there's no going back. Tough on him..

And @Demon is right and correct it does make Trump or/and my behavior acceptable, but I didn't open the kimono first so I don't feel ANY remorse toward trumpski.

No @Tekate my nerves (and weight) are fine. But maybe you could try & be a little more sensitive toward those who have shared their struggles with weight on PS. You were offended by mere ‘likes’ recently; so I’d think you (of all people) could sympathize with how your own comments might be received by others as insensitively judgmental about a condition many have no control.

I agree @Demon Trump shouldn’t mock anyone for their weight. People who justify any kind of ‘shaming’ simply because they are/have that same ‘quality’ shouldn’t get a pass; they just make the behavior appear acceptable.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is great, my sister used to have a sticker on her car saying think globally, act locally, and it's in everyone's heart how they will give.. kudos to you, we have given to the local food bank because we have just moved back to Texas after years back up north, but help is help.

Yes, if we all give a little, the world will gain a lot. Thank you for the reminder. My husband and I prefer to help those we know personally, directly with a check, pay their rent or a gift card for the local grocery store. And we have done so prior to the pandemic and especially now.

Q

Queenie60

I think this is great, my sister used to have a sticker on her car saying think globally, act locally, and it's in everyone's heart how they will give.. kudos to you, we have given to the local food bank because we have just moved back to Texas after years back up north, but help is help.

Than you @Tekate

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
So glad you are doing so well in the weight department, but I don't think I need to be senstie when it comes to Trump and his obesity, not even a little bit.

When I speak of a person and their weight problems or lack of them be sure I will highlight you and have you take a look for your perusal because we all need a net nanny. But I truly cannot remember making fun of ANYONE with a weight problem, now Trumpski, he started the game of bullying, so it's fair game in my neighborhood..

If Trump doesn't want anyone to mock him, then he shouldn't mock anyone first, he opened the kimono so there's no going back. Tough on him..

And @Demon is right and correct it does make Trump or/and my behavior acceptable, but I didn't open the kimono first so I don't feel ANY remorse toward trumpski.

Now, I never said anything about your behavior! Trump has mocked and ridiculed people for weight, disabllities, etc. He opened that door even during the republican "debates". Mocking Trump for any reason is fair game.Trump just has no room to mock anyone for anything.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just. Wow. What an embarrassment and not to mention criminal. Quid pro quo with foreign powers is one thing, but with your own states? Ugh. Nauseating.

Mail in ballots could be safe intervention to empower voting while protecting people and poll workers. (See what happened in the Wisconsin primaries). There’s no real evidence that mail in ballots would benefit democrats and red states have also increased access to mail in voting to protect its citizens. I hope Michigan and Nevada citizens stay safe despite basically being threatened by their own president..

1934BDCF-9FEA-4E52-8CF4-CD496DCF485A.jpeg

Edit: I’m not a lawyer but I don’t believe the states did anything illegal, or anything that requires authorization.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:) no problemo.. and its true that one is as bad as another when they sink just as low, but I'm willing on this special occasion of our ignoramus president to do so, nothing special about me, I'm a native NYer too. peace.

Now, I never said anything about your behavior! Trump has mocked and ridiculed people for weight, disabllities, etc. He opened that door even during the republican "debates". Mocking Trump for any reason is fair game.Trump just has no room to mock anyone for anything.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah that’s usually my approach too. I can’t write it off on my taxes, but I also don’t need to worry about my money going to weird uses I might not be aware of. I have a lot of friends who were in the hospitality or entertainment/arts industry so it’s been hard.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
:) no problemo.. and its true that one is as bad as another when they sink just as low, but I'm willing on this special occasion of our ignoramus president to do so, nothing special about me, I'm a native NYer too. peace.

Well, we used to expect more from a president in terms of demeanor. Not so much from us peons. ;)2

And I just gotta say, with all the "likes" you get from me, I clearly have no problems with your behavior!

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, Don Jr ... :wavey:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that’s rich, considering we had to listen to him calling women “fat pigs” for so long :lol:

voce

Ideal_Rock

Trump tweeted Jan 24 to praise China, then forgot about that and blamed the WHO for praising China on Jan 24. Hypocrisy much? Is Trump to be praised for his hypocrisy?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just. Wow. What an embarrassment and not to mention criminal. Quid pro quo with foreign powers is one thing, but with your own states? Ugh. Nauseating.

Mail in ballots could be safe intervention to empower voting while protecting people and poll workers. (See what happened in the Wisconsin primaries). There’s no real evidence that mail in ballots would benefit democrats and red states have also increased access to mail in voting to protect its citizens. I hope Michigan and Nevada citizens stay safe despite basically being threatened by their own president..

1934BDCF-9FEA-4E52-8CF4-CD496DCF485A.jpeg

Edit: I’m not a lawyer but I don’t believe the states did anything illegal, or anything that requires authorization.

Hmmm
I think I may have found the reason he is so against mail in voting.

Originally in the New York Times published Monday

“The Republican program, which has gained steam in recent weeks, envisions recruiting up to 50,000 volunteers in 15 key states to monitor polling places and challenge ballots and voters deemed suspicious. That is part of a $20 million plan that also allots millions to challenge lawsuits by Democrats and voting-rights advocates seeking to loosen state restrictions on balloting. The party and its allies also intend to use advertising, the internet and President Trump’s command of the airwaves to cast Democrats as agents of election theft.
The efforts are bolstered by a 2018 federal court ruling that for the first time in nearly four decades allows the national Republican Party to mount campaigns against purported voter fraud without court approval. The court ban on Republican Party voter-fraud operations was imposed in 1982, and then modified in 1986 and again in 1990, each time after courts found instances of Republicans intimidating or working to exclude minority voters in the name of preventing fraud. The party was found to have violated it yet again in 2004.”

That’s so not ok. I’m really hoping that won’t happen again but you know how that saying goes, “fool me once..”

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm
I think I may have found the reason he is so against mail in voting.

Originally in the New York Times published Monday

“The Republican program, which has gained steam in recent weeks, envisions recruiting up to 50,000 volunteers in 15 key states to monitor polling places and challenge ballots and voters deemed suspicious. That is part of a $20 million plan that also allots millions to challenge lawsuits by Democrats and voting-rights advocates seeking to loosen state restrictions on balloting. The party and its allies also intend to use advertising, the internet and President Trump’s command of the airwaves to cast Democrats as agents of election theft.
The efforts are bolstered by a 2018 federal court ruling that for the first time in nearly four decades allows the national Republican Party to mount campaigns against purported voter fraud without court approval. The court ban on Republican Party voter-fraud operations was imposed in 1982, and then modified in 1986 and again in 1990, each time after courts found instances of Republicans intimidating or working to exclude minority voters in the name of preventing fraud. The party was found to have violated it yet again in 2004.”

That’s so not ok. I’m really hoping that won’t happen again but you know how that saying goes, “fool me once..”

Yep, and a big turnout, which is likely with mail in voting, seems to favor the democrats.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, and a big turnout, which is likely with mail in voting, seems to favor the democrats.

I’ve heard speculation for both sides. I’ve heard older voters are more likely to vote by mail and tend to vote conservative. A lot of younger folk move around a lot (college, roommates, couch surfing etc) and pay less attention to mail in general (online bill pay and everything else) and they tend to vote liberal. So I don’t know that either side is confident who would most benefit. It might be a state by state thing.

Certainly if Republicans are devoting 20million dollars to “supervise” voting in swing states, I can see why they’d want to deter mail in votes in those states. :/

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I'm not confident at all. The "the big turnout favors dems" seems to be a widespread thought. The voting by mail - just seems to me that it would get a larger turnout just because it's easier. And I do hear older voters are turning towards Biden. But it's very early yet. I would guess intimidation is definitely playing a roll. I'd just be carrying pepper spray, and if someone wanted to challenge my vote (with no reason - I've been a US citizen all my life), they just might get sprayed. But CO has vote by mail anyway, though you can go to a polling place if you're so inclined.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I'm not confident at all. The "the big turnout favors dems" seems to be a widespread thought. The voting by mail - just seems to me that it would get a larger turnout just because it's easier. And I do hear older voters are turning towards Biden. But it's very early yet. I would guess intimidation is definitely playing a roll. I'd just be carrying pepper spray, and if someone wanted to challenge my vote (with no reason - I've been a US citizen all my life), they just might get sprayed. But CO has vote by mail anyway, though you can go to a polling place if you're so inclined.

Yeah I plan to vote in person and I’ll have my usual pepper spray. I live in a super urban liberal city though so I don’t imagine Republicans would bother monitoring for “suspicious voters” here since we always vote overwhelmingly blue.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you @Queenie60 for all that you and your husband are doing. We need more people like you in this world.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@MakingTheGrade Ooor, it's because he just committed voter fraud himself. He voted by mail for the state of Florida election but isn't technically an actual Florida resident it turns out. He can't be, or he loses Mar-a-Lago as a club per his original agreement with Palm Beach.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results