shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your thoughts on how government is handling COVID-19

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely don't think your post is political. But I the article is from 4/1/2020 and information is quickly coming to light. The CDC recommends masks the following and we follow this:

If you are in a grocery store and you are 6 feet away from anyone or alone I'm with you about lifting my mask, my only problem is that studies are now showing that the virus does linger in the air and could land on me :) BUT I fall in the over 65 age group and my contracting Covid-19 could be fatal but to many people who are younger and healthier I understand their feeling.. the thing is that people can transmit and not show symptoms.

You are highly educated and that is great and your point of view is educational and interesting do you have any suggestions to avoid the virus in public if one doesn't want to wear a mask? I have family that is in their 20s and 30s and it would be very helpful to me, one of my sons lives in Brooklyn and has to ride the subway again when he eventually goes back into Manhattan and any information or thoughts on this would be helpful.

For me? I will continue to wear my masks but I don't go out much anyway because I am lucky to not have to.

Again, I appreciate what you have posted.

Peace.

I rarely post on Hangout, mostly because I spend way too much time on PS as it is. I also don't like political discussions because they always seem to denigrate into angry verbal boxing matches. I do want to comment on the-mandatory face mask policy, though. So here I go, dipping my toe in the swirling waters of this thread. I'm posting a link to commentary by two respiratory experts, citing many referenced studies, critiques and articles--52 of them to be exact. They present coherent, well-documented arguments explaining why masks are essentially ineffective. I encourage anyone with an open mind to read the article, look at the evidence and make up your own mind. It's a long article, but well worth the read. I would happily review a similar article with similar documentation that substantially supports the ubiquitous use of face masks in public as a coherent, logical policy.

My background is in biochemistry and allied health (B.S. double major--biology and statistics; two M.S.degrees, one in biochemistry, the other in audiology; no PhD, so not an "expert" in any field). I teach high school now, but I worked for many years as a research associate and clinician in three different major medical centers. I feel very comfortable reading the actual studies referenced in articles like this. I confess I didn't read all of them, just the major ones, which I found to be well done and convincing. The "studies" referenced in many news articles are based on modeling and are, for the most part, statistical trash. Generally, they're done to influence people, not advance science. Models are useful to explain phenomena, but as far as predicting outcomes? Not so much. Masks, particularly homemade ones, don't work. They're not comfortable or healthy to wear for any significant period of time, and are essentially ineffective in preventing the spread of viruses. The logic used by the politicians and bureaucrats who have foisted this policy on people is insubstantial, contradictory and not based on convincing scientific evidence (at least in my view, YMMV). We've been told that "it'll help slow the spread". Politicians and bureaucrats have provided plenty of platitudes, but no compelling evidence for that assertion.

To anyone who feels more comfortable wearing a mask--for whatever reason-- I fully support your right to do so. I live in a state that has mandated "any person in a public place ... who is unable to or does not maintain a safe social distance of approximately six feet from every other person shall cover their mouth and nose with a mask or cloth face covering", Those are the actual words from the governor's decree. I personally refuse to wear a mask outside. I feel like I'm suffocating with it on. It makes me feel panicked and anxious. It's not healthy for me to breathe in my own exhalation for extended periods of time. And yes, it is a complete infringement on my right to BREATHE AIR unmolested. In the grocery store, if I'm alone in the aisle, I let the mask hang from one ear loop. When someone enters the aisle and is moving towards me, I'll put it over my nose and mouth and loop it over my other ear. Because I want to be as considerate as possible and because I'm not necessarily trying to make a statement, I usually re-mask well before anyone gets to that six foot zone. I'll also put it on to move to the next aisle, in case I encounter someone within six feet who's not in my current view. I always wear it during checkout. In other words, I cover my nose and mouth whenever I'm within six feet of another person--JUST LIKE THE GOVERNOR SAID. But that's the extent to which I'll comply. I'm not willing to put up with discomfort and ill effects on my health so that other people can "feel safe". To be clear, IF compelling evidence existed, showing that mask wearing DID help, my opinions and my actions would be different.

Please do not take my judgments and opinions as a political statement. I'm so over the politics of this entire thing and don't want to alienate any of my fellow PSers.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake, thanks for posting that information. I am okay with wearing a mask in the stores but will not wear one outside taking a walk, we aren't really around people anyways so it shouldn't be an issue.

However, I've been reading about the precautions put in place for places with schools opening up and am really struggling with the idea that my six year old son may have to wear a mask all day at school if and when they reopen. I see so many possible things going wrong (he takes it off and another kid touches the inside, they swap masks or accidentally put on the wrong one after eating etc).

Now there is no guarantee this will be the case but surely if NY and NJ go in this direction, Lamont will follow suit. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place because on one hand I obviously wouldn't want him to get sick, on the other hand it can't be healthy for little kids to wear masks for prolonged periods of time.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rarely post on Hangout, mostly because I spend way too much time on PS as it is. I also don't like political discussions because they always seem to denigrate into angry verbal boxing matches. I do want to comment on the-mandatory face mask policy, though. So here I go, dipping my toe in the swirling waters of this thread. I'm posting a link to commentary by two respiratory experts, citing many referenced studies, critiques and articles--52 of them to be exact. They present coherent, well-documented arguments explaining why masks are essentially ineffective. I encourage anyone with an open mind to read the article, look at the evidence and make up your own mind. It's a long article, but well worth the read. I would happily review a similar article with similar documentation that substantially supports the ubiquitous use of face masks in public as a coherent, logical policy.

My background is in biochemistry and allied health (B.S. double major--biology and statistics; two M.S.degrees, one in biochemistry, the other in audiology; no PhD, so not an "expert" in any field). I teach high school now, but I worked for many years as a research associate and clinician in three different major medical centers. I feel very comfortable reading the actual studies referenced in articles like this. I confess I didn't read all of them, just the major ones, which I found to be well done and convincing. The "studies" referenced in many news articles are based on modeling and are, for the most part, statistical trash. Generally, they're done to influence people, not advance science. Models are useful to explain phenomena, but as far as predicting outcomes? Not so much. Masks, particularly homemade ones, don't work. They're not comfortable or healthy to wear for any significant period of time, and are essentially ineffective in preventing the spread of viruses. The logic used by the politicians and bureaucrats who have foisted this policy on people is insubstantial, contradictory and not based on convincing scientific evidence (at least in my view, YMMV). We've been told that "it'll help slow the spread". Politicians and bureaucrats have provided plenty of platitudes, but no compelling evidence for that assertion.

To anyone who feels more comfortable wearing a mask--for whatever reason-- I fully support your right to do so. I live in a state that has mandated "any person in a public place ... who is unable to or does not maintain a safe social distance of approximately six feet from every other person shall cover their mouth and nose with a mask or cloth face covering", Those are the actual words from the governor's decree. I personally refuse to wear a mask outside. I feel like I'm suffocating with it on. It makes me feel panicked and anxious. It's not healthy for me to breathe in my own exhalation for extended periods of time. And yes, it is a complete infringement on my right to BREATHE AIR unmolested. In the grocery store, if I'm alone in the aisle, I let the mask hang from one ear loop. When someone enters the aisle and is moving towards me, I'll put it over my nose and mouth and loop it over my other ear. Because I want to be as considerate as possible and because I'm not necessarily trying to make a statement, I usually re-mask well before anyone gets to that six foot zone. I'll also put it on to move to the next aisle, in case I encounter someone within six feet who's not in my current view. I always wear it during checkout. In other words, I cover my nose and mouth whenever I'm within six feet of another person--JUST LIKE THE GOVERNOR SAID. But that's the extent to which I'll comply. I'm not willing to put up with discomfort and ill effects on my health so that other people can "feel safe". To be clear, IF compelling evidence existed, showing that mask wearing DID help, my opinions and my actions would be different.

Please do not take my judgments and opinions as a political statement. I'm so over the politics of this entire thing and don't want to alienate any of my fellow PSers.

I feel like this Lancet article does a good job responding to articles such as the one you shared. And it is true that there is little direct evidence/studies for this situation.

I also don’t consider it high yield to mask outdoors unless in crowded situations

Some excerpts:
Previous research on the use of masks in non-health-care settings had predominantly focused on the protection of the wearers and was related to influenza or influenza-like illness.
14These studies were not designed to evaluate mass masking in whole communities. Research has also not been done during a pandemic when mass masking compliance is high enough for its effectiveness to be assessed. But absence of evidence of effectiveness from clinical trials on mass masking should not be equated with evidence of ineffectiveness. There are mechanistic reasons for covering the mouth to reduce respiratory droplet transmission and, indeed, cough etiquette is based on these considerations and not on evidence from clinical trials.

I also agree with this point, science aside:
Mass masking for source control is in our view a useful and low-cost adjunct to social distancing and hand hygiene during the COVID-19 pandemic. This measure shifts the focus from self-protection to altruism, actively involves every citizen, and is a symbol of social solidarity in the global response to the pandemic.

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will also say that asking for universal masking protects individuals who may be sick/coughing and want to wear a mask to protect others.

People who are worried they may be developing illness may not feel safe wearing a mask in public if majority of people aren’t wearing them, due to fear of stigma. And realistically when things open up not everyone will be able to stay home at just the suspicion that their cough or sneeze or headache may be the first signs of covid.

Personally when this all started I wore a mask because I work in a hospital with patients and worried I was high risk to get it and be asymptomatic. I also have seasonal allergies resulting in so much sneezing. I definitely got more yelled at when I wore the mask since at the time nobody was wearing one. To the point I actually stopped because I felt unsafe. I doubt that anyone now would glare at me suspiciously about mask wearing even if they did change recommendations on wearing them.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade do you have any thoughts about young children wearing masks throughout a school day multiple times a week? Of course I'm getting ahead of myself, who knows if there will be any in-person classes at all this year but it's still a concern for us.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade do you have any thoughts about young children wearing masks throughout a school day multiple times a week? Of course I'm getting ahead of myself, who knows if there will be any in-person classes at all this year but it's still a concern for us.

In my opinion (not based on science) I just don’t think it’s pragmatic to ask young children to wear masks. At the hospital I’ve seen kids trying to eat them, playing with the bands, flicking them at one another, the list goes on. I can’t imagine any teacher or person who spends time around young kids would find this a feasible intervention.

From a safety standpoint, I don’t know that there’s anything intrinsically unsafe about a young child in a mask, at the hospital we often have our immunocompromised patients wear them when they are outside their rooms. But they have direct supervision and sadly are usually quite tired and sick and not looking to find ways to creatively reinterpret how to wear their mask.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input and thoughts @MakingTheGrade also thank you for continuing to be out there as an essential worker, it is greatly appreciated.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d also say there is no evidence that wearing masks will make people feel less inclined to social distance. If anything I think it would actually increase social distancing as people are less likely to loiter in stores or go out to bars if they find the masks annoying. And it’s also a visual and tactile cue to take precautions. And even if it’s only effective at controlling larger droplets from escaping, there are plenty of situations in which larger droplets happen aside from coughing. Sneezing from allergies, yelling at someone across the room, enunciating a little too hard at a meeting...

I guess when you’re thinking about whether to wear a mask or not as things reopen and people go out and about again in larger numbers, think about the strangers who are preparing your kid’s food or your elderly relative waiting hours in a dmv with a roomful of other people, if it makes you uneasy that nobody is wearing masks then maybe consider wearing one.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey we have a huge debt we just continue to have a huge huge debt till things become better and we raise taxes on everyone with the rich paying a higher percentageand pay it off, cut military, cut welfare to farmers, get rid of the passthru ripoff:) easy peasey

Pelosi??..:tongue:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very well said. Before people assume that I don’t wear a mask, I do and so do my loved ones. But I’m surrounded by beach communities that haven’t been wearing a mask for going on 4 weeks, that I am aware. They probably never transitioned over from the time the cdc told us not to wear them, so in all honesty, these beach communities probably never wore them. Increasingly, more and more people in non beach communities are choosing not to wear them. I’ve come to accept that masks have become just another choice that people make daily that could jeopardize the rest of us. Texting and driving comes to mind. How many times do you see drivers text and drive? Do you call the police on them? Do you report them? Or do you just thank your lucky stars that you caught them so you can get the hell out of the way???

Yeah, if I can get their license plate numbers, I do call the police on them.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@nala this is a good read imo. I posted it in the coronavirus thread this morning.

This is excellent.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, if I can get their license plate numbers, I do call the police on them.
How could you prove it? Would police even respond to the report? What if there’s another person in the car and they claim someone else was texting? What if you are the driver, wouldn’t it be distracting and unsafe for you to report? Have you actually ever reported it? What was the outcome?

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How could you prove it? Would police even respond to the report? What if there’s another person in the car and they claim someone else was texting? What if you are the driver, wouldn’t it be distracting and unsafe for you to report? Have you actually ever reported it? What was the outcome?

I have done it. I have no idea what the outcome was. I called and made the report, and heard nothing more, so I have no further information.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just have to share this, it's so funny!

Q

Queenie60

Congress’ easy, greasy, porky corrupt girl. Her latest ‘covid‘ bill isn’t even fit to light a camp fire ... just more junk from her trunk.

Maybe Trump should rip it up into shreds. Similar to the State of the Union.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here's another winner from Trump:

Seems like Fox News can't trust Don to be honest, PLEASE Don't take any drugs unless it's proven! Do not follow Trump's lead here, people have died.

Speaking Monday afternoon, Cavuto said on his show: “The president insisted that [hydroxychloroquine] has enormous benefits for patients either trying to prevent or already have Covid-19. The fact of the matter is, though, when the president said, ‘What have you got to lose?’ the number of studies [show] the population have one thing to lose: their lives.”

Cavuto continued: “If you are taking this as a preventative treatment to ward off the virus, or in a worst-case scenario you are dealing with the virus and you are in this vulnerable population, it will kill you. I cannot stress that enough. This will kill you.
Trump in turn retweeted half a dozen Twitter posts attacking Cavuto and calling him an “idiot,” “foolish,” “gullible” and “an *******.” The president chose his own words for the network, saying in a tweet that Fox News, which has generally provided favorable coverage of Trump, “is no longer the same.”
“We miss the great Roger Ailes,” the president wrote. “You have more anti-Trump people, by far, than ever before. Looking for a new outlet!”

Demon

Brilliant_Rock

Seems like Fox News can't trust Don to be honest, PLEASE Don't take any drugs unless it's proven! Do not follow Trump's lead here, people have died.

Speaking Monday afternoon, Cavuto said on his show: “The president insisted that [hydroxychloroquine] has enormous benefits for patients either trying to prevent or already have Covid-19. The fact of the matter is, though, when the president said, ‘What have you got to lose?’ the number of studies [show] the population have one thing to lose: their lives.”

Cavuto continued: “If you are taking this as a preventative treatment to ward off the virus, or in a worst-case scenario you are dealing with the virus and you are in this vulnerable population, it will kill you. I cannot stress that enough. This will kill you.
Trump in turn retweeted half a dozen Twitter posts attacking Cavuto and calling him an “idiot,” “foolish,” “gullible” and “an *******.” The president chose his own words for the network, saying in a tweet that Fox News, which has generally provided favorable coverage of Trump, “is no longer the same.”
“We miss the great Roger Ailes,” the president wrote. “You have more anti-Trump people, by far, than ever before. Looking for a new outlet!”

Hasn't he found a new network in OANN?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Trump should rip it up into shreds. Similar to the State of the Union.

That would be sweet ... but it will never make it to his desk chock full of that garbage.

I just have to share this, it's so funny!

It’s really sad when Dems take a page out of Trump’s playbook and hypocritically resort to “body-shaming“ for humor. I feel bad for Veep-hopeful Stacey Abrams who’s been receiving tons of insensitive body-shaming comments lately following WaPo likening her to a “runway super model” ... to see her own party’s leaders (and supporters it seems) resorting to such low standards of behavior must be hurtful, even if she won’t publicly admit it given she’s gunning to be Biden’s side-kick. So much for that whole “when they go low ...” nonsense.

Now, Cavuto crapping his pants yesterday over Trump’s admission that he’s taking hydroxychloroquine ... THAT was funny! :lol-2::lol-2: Predictably, the MSM and their sheep lost their minds all over nothing because it was prescribed by his WH physician as prophylaxis, which makes sense given there have been a few positive WH cases recently.

Even medical professionals - one on Cavuto’s show even - said it was fine if his doctor agreed/prescribed it ... “but but but Truuuuuump :errrr:“ Front-line medical professionals have been doing the same, and there have been several reports from many doctors in multiple countries highlighting it’s success in treating Covid patients. Dr. Mark Siegel credited it for saving his father’s life when he contracted Covid and almost died, as did a Democrat Michigan lawmaker when she contracted Covid ... of course, after she credited Trump/hydroxychloroquine for saving her life, her party tried to censure her because they can’t bear to hear Trump’s name be praised by one of their own. Bring on the scorn machine ...

I’m just thankful Trump’s not making tik tok videos while wearing precious PPE and rolling around the halls of the WH on a gurney while shaking pill bottles at the camera ... because that would be pretty tasteless, insensitive behavior while people are still dying.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strike a nerve eh??? it's funny, it's really funny. Body shaming for humor? surely you jest? goodness.It's not SAD that Pelosi mocked him, what goes around comes around, if the prez isn't above being a total jerk then he should expect the same in kind, who wrote the book on Dems being better? not this democrat.. democrats can get down in the mud with a pig, sometimes ya just have to wrestle, Pelosi does it well and she knows it pisses him off - so she does it.. if he's that thin skinned, don't vote for him! and HEY don't worry about Stacey Abrams, she has Pompeo as a role model :)

Trump mocks appearance of rally protester:

"That guy’s got a serious weight problem. Go home, start exercising," Trump said as the individual who interrupted Trump's speech was escorted out of the arena.

here's more added:

Gee you make him sound like a snowflake.

He should remember, what goes around comes right back atcha! Trump is fat, we all know that, now morbidly obese? maybe but not sure.

You are perfectly allowed to post anecdotal evidence, but an obese guy like Trump takes a lot of chance to take a drug and can cause heart problems, of course if he get's covid, it's probably curtains for him so maybe the pill is of equal chance.. right now it's not recommended that a person take Doesn't he take a high cholesterol drug??? he should be VERY WARY of anything that affects his heart.. bless his little heart.

But if he wants to take it, I'm ALL for it! altho I doubt he's really taking it, because believing him is a shell game.

DON'T give Trump any ideas on Tik Tok.. no not a good idea. All I can say about the sheep who read RWM is that their prime source, Fox!!! criticized their fearless and dumb leader and here we are.. again NO TIK TOK.

That would be sweet ... but it will never make it to his desk chock full of that garbage.

It’s really sad when Dems take a page out of Trump’s playbook and hypocritically resort to “body-shaming“ for humor. I feel bad for Veep-hopeful Stacey Abrams who’s been receiving tons of insensitive body-shaming comments lately following WaPo likening her to a “runway super model” ... to see her own party’s leaders (and supporters it seems) resorting to such low standards of behavior must be hurtful, even if she won’t publicly admit it given she’s gunning to be Biden’s side-kick. So much for that whole “when they go low ...” nonsense.

Who cares if a physician prescribed it, anyone who's read about the medicine knows it can cause a fatal arrhythmia, and we don't want our pres to die of a sudden keel over :) egads! !!! :)

DON'T give Trump any ideas on Tik Tok.. no not a good idea. All I can say about the sheep who read RWM is that their prime source, Fox!!! criticized their fearless and dumb leader and here we are.. again NO TIK TOK.

Now, Cavuto crapping his pants yesterday over Trump’s admission that he’s taking hydroxychloroquine ... THAT was funny! :lol-2::lol-2: Predictably, the MSM and their sheep lost their minds all over nothing because it was prescribed by his WH physician as prophylaxis, which makes sense given there have been a few positive WH cases recently.

Even medical professionals - one on Cavuto’s show even - said it was fine if his doctor agreed/prescribed it ... “but but but Truuuuuump :errrr:“ Front-line medical professionals have been doing the same, and there have been several reports from many doctors in multiple countries highlighting it’s success in treating Covid patients. Dr. Mark Siegel credited it for saving his father’s life when he contracted Covid and almost died, as did a Democrat Michigan lawmaker when she contracted Covid ... of course, after she credited Trump/hydroxychloroquine for saving her life, her party tried to censure her because they can’t bear to hear Trump’s name be praised by one of their own. Bring on the scorn machine ...

I’m just thankful Trump’s not making tik tok videos while wearing precious PPE and rolling around the halls of the WH on a gurney while shaking pill bottles at the camera ... because that would be pretty tasteless, insensitive behavior while people are still dying.

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Strike a nerve eh??? it's funny, it's really funny. Body shaming for humor? surely you jest? goodness.It's not SAD that Pelosi mocked him, what goes around comes around, if the prez isn't above being a total jerk then he should expect the same in kind, who wrote the book on Dems being better? not this democrat.. democrats can get down in the mud with a pig, sometimes ya just have to wrestle, Pelosi does it well and she knows it pisses him off - so she does it.. if he's that thin skinned, don't vote for him! and HEY don't worry about Stacey Abrams, she has Pompeo as a role model :)

Trump mocks appearance of rally protester:

"That guy’s got a serious weight problem. Go home, start exercising," Trump said as the individual who interrupted Trump's speech was escorted out of the arena.

here's more added:

Gee you make him sound like a snowflake.

He should remember, what goes around comes right back atcha! Trump is fat, we all know that, now morbidly obese? maybe but not sure.

You are perfectly allowed to post anecdotal evidence, but an obese guy like Trump takes a lot of chance to take a drug and can cause heart problems, of course if he get's covid, it's probably curtains for him so maybe the pill is of equal chance.. right now it's not recommended that a person take Doesn't he take a high cholesterol drug??? he should be VERY WARY of anything that affects his heart.. bless his little heart.

But if he wants to take it, I'm ALL for it! altho I doubt he's really taking it, because believing him is a shell game.

Trump should not be mocking people about weight or, well, anything.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sure he spoke with his Dr. I don't think he bought the hydroxychloroquine off the street... :rolleyes:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No @Tekate my nerves (and weight) are fine. But maybe you could try & be a little more sensitive toward those who have shared their struggles with weight on PS. You were offended by mere ‘likes’ recently; so I’d think you (of all people) could sympathize with how your own comments might be received by others as insensitively judgmental about a condition many have no control.

I agree @Demon Trump shouldn’t mock anyone for their weight. People who justify any kind of ‘shaming’ simply because they are/have that same ‘quality’ shouldn’t get a pass; they just make the behavior appear acceptable.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this is concerning.

Hope all you FL PSers stay safe and hopefully things aren’t as ominous and nefarious as this article would imply :/

I tried to search to see if the govt of FL gave a response as to why they fired her as the other side of the story but couldn’t find anything. I’d be curious to hear what their perspective and reasoning was.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this is concerning.

Hope all you FL PSers stay safe and hopefully things aren’t as ominous and nefarious as this article would imply :/

I tried to search to see if the govt of FL gave a response as to why they fired her as the other side of the story but couldn’t find anything. I’d be curious to hear what their perspective and reasoning was.

My friend shared this on IG. Very troubling.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results