shape
carat
color
clarity

what are your other bad spending habits (besides buying jewelry ) ?....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2005 10:35:39 PM
Author: moremoremore

Hey Twinkle...I didn''t write that- I''m not the old lady, Sharon is...ROTFL Just kidding!!!! :)

HEY:

I represent
3.gif
those remarks!!! What does ROTFL mean anyway?

I wonder about buying those ultra expensive moisturizing creams--if I think about the research and the life cycle of the dermis...all logic revolts..I''ve read on more than one occasion that unscented cold cream + a petroluem jelly prouct is the best combo for a moisturizer. Not glamerous and perhaps a little greasy but "effective"...

cheers--Sharon

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 10:55
6.gif
7 AM
Author: canuk-gal

HEY:

I represent
3.gif
those remarks!!! What does ROTFL mean anyway?

I wonder about buying those ultra expensive moisturizing creams--if I think about the research and the life cycle of the dermis...all logic revolts..I''ve read on more than one occasion that unscented cold cream + a petroluem jelly prouct is the best combo for a moisturizer. Not glamerous and perhaps a little greasy but ''effective''...

cheers--Sharon
I used to buy into the expensive creams/makeup thing. These days, I find that my trip to the cosmetic counter involves a parking spot at target or walmart. I still use some clinque products; but, I am sold on Olay Regenerist products. When I went out, I use to use Channel foundation. Now, I''m sold on Almay - nearly naked @ 1/4 the price. I used to buy a more expensive mascara - now I''m back to Maybelline. I really see little difference except in my checking account. And, I like the regenerist products better than my more expensive department store creams i was using.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Bare Escentuals makeup is REALLY good. Using the foundation makes you look like you have naturally flawless skin without looking like you have makeup on. That''s all I use.

Love the L''Occitane shea butter products, especially the hand cream. MAC is great too.

I thought I just had purse and bath/body addictions. The list grows after reading the other posts.
emsmile.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 12
6.gif
3:21 PM
Author: onedrop
Bare Escentuals makeup is REALLY good. Using the foundation makes you look like you have naturally flawless skin without looking like you have makeup on. That''s all I use.

Love the L''Occitane shea butter products, especially the hand cream. MAC is great too.

I thought I just had purse and bath/body addictions. The list grows after reading the other posts.
emsmile.gif
Isn''t Bare Escentuals awesome?! I''ve tried them all Chanel, LORAC, Stila, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Lancome, etc..... Anything in the pursuit of looking younger than my 40 years and Bare Escentuals did it! Have you tried the "Clear Radiance"? It''s my favorite and just gives your skin a wonderful, youthful glow. The "Bisque" is the only product that has ever really covered my undereye circles. I sound like a freaking infomercial, but this stuff works...LOL

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use MAC...but I don''t wear much makeup and only buy something like 1 lip gloss every 3 months...I use the same eyeshadows from 2 years ago (and spice it up at night with some other colors!), though I do buy one or two new ones a year too probably. Makeup is too expensive...so I''m glad I don''t wear much of it!

In terms of skin, I have been blessed with a pretty good complexion. I too love the Regenerist stuff for regular daily use, but I also use La Mer and La Prairie off and on, which I both like, but La Mer works best on things like my hands--its too rich for my face. My hands get the brunt of the dry skin and problems....not my face.

I thought of something else that ends up being extravagant to spend on, but I''m not obsessed about it, hair cuts and highlights! I can drop about $160 each time I go which is about every 8 weeks...it really pains me to have to write that check every time but it''s necessary so I guess it''s not really an addiction...hehe. BUT I have a girlfriend who used to go every THREE weeks and fork out that $160 and sometimes $200 each time. She loved to have her hair changed out all the time. Needless to say she was our stylist''s fave customer!
6.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 12:27:44 PM
Author: Libster
Isn''t Bare Escentuals awesome?! I''ve tried them all Chanel, LORAC, Stila, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Lancome, etc..... Anything in the pursuit of looking younger than my 40 years and Bare Escentuals did it! Have you tried the ''Clear Radiance''? It''s my favorite and just gives your skin a wonderful, youthful glow. The ''Bisque'' is the only product that has ever really covered my undereye circles. I sound like a freaking infomercial, but this stuff works...LOL
Where do you order this stuff from?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 2:26:34 AM
Author: Mara
kayla i was just thinking earlier tonite about how i am addicted to L''Occitane!! i love their shea butter hand creme (big tube actually fits in the KC bag...hehee) and their liquid hand soap is both in my bathroom and kitchen at times. i also use their linen water on my sheets and sometimes as a room spray. my favorites are their lavender and verbena, those are in general my two favorite soap and lotion scents of all time but not every company does them ''right'' in terms of the scent. i''m also a chronic spender on things such as scented soap (lavender and verbena) such as the eu de provence...Greg says...''why do you keep buying those if you never use them'' and ''dont you have a bag of those already under the sink?''. but i''m hooked!
9.gif
recently i got into displaying soft colored L''Occitane soaps in glass vases in the bathroom and stuff, which of course to Greg is like the epitome of waste (aka ''are we ever going to use those?!'')
9.gif
hehehe This is what I''m planning to do. Buy a pretty glass jar and house soaps in it. I told my husband this while he was playing his video game (lol) and he said okay, so now I''m thinking about the jar I saw in the pottery barn catalogue and planning to get it before he realizes that this means even MORE soaps and "junk we don''t need." This is such an easy way to fancy up any bathroom, isn''t it?

Linen water sounds fun. Okay, another thing to add to my list
9.gif
I use Dreft for all my clothes/bedding right now because it smells so good. lol

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Try www.QVC.com for Bare Escentuals. Damn I really gotta stop flipping through those shopping channels!
Lisa.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Oh, the haircut/color thing . . . I have just recently gotten back into that scene. In my 20s, I used to cut, color, perm, the works, on a regular cycle. I added it up, and over an entire year, I was spending a ton of money. After the birth of my first child (I was 28 and quit working full time), I decided to let it grow out one last time before *I got too old.*
9.gif
It got really long (down to my waist) and it was nice not to be a slave to my hairdresser. A trim here and there every few months was all it took to keep it in shape. I even had an entire foot cut off for charity (Locks of Love) and still had enough that it was past my shoulders!

Well, no more. I turned 40 in July and decided it was all coming off!!! I''m talking drastic change! It was not easy to get a hairdresser to hack it off!!!!! They are afraid you are going to flip out of something. It''s now pretty darn short (top of my collar), and it''s been a few colors in the last 6 months too! When I run into someone who has not seen me since it was long, they''re pretty shocked
23.gif
, but I love it!

Even though my hair is easier to maintain daily (I call it 15-minute hair), I had forgotten about the salon maintenance. I miss having the extra $$ to spend on new baubles.
20.gif

DiamondLil

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 1:24:42 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

Isn''t Bare Escentuals awesome?! I''ve tried them all Chanel, LORAC, Stila, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Lancome, etc..... Anything in the pursuit of looking younger than my 40 years and Bare Escentuals did it! Have you tried the ''Clear Radiance''? It''s my favorite and just gives your skin a wonderful, youthful glow. The ''Bisque'' is the only product that has ever really covered my undereye circles. I sound like a freaking infomercial, but this stuff works...LOL
Where do you order this stuff from?

Besides QVC, Bare Escentuals is also available at Sephora and Ulta stores.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 1:42
6.gif
0 PM
Author: diamondlil
), I decided to let it grow out one last time before *I got too old.*
9.gif
It got really long (down to my waist) and it was nice not to be a slave to my hairdresser. A trim here and there every few months was all it took to keep it in shape. I even had an entire foot cut off for charity (Locks of Love) and still had enough that it was past my shoulders!

Well, no more. I turned 40 in July and decided it was all coming off!!! I''m talking drastic change! It was not easy to get a hairdresser to hack it off!!!!! They are afraid you are going to flip out of something. It''s now pretty darn short (top of my collar), and it''s been a few colors in the last 6 months too! When I run into someone who has not seen me since it was long, they''re pretty shocked
23.gif
, but I love it!

Even though my hair is easier to maintain daily (I call it 15-minute hair), I had forgotten about the salon maintenance. I miss having the extra $$ to spend on new baubles.
20.gif

DiamondLil
Hah! Same thing here. Didn''t grow it down to my waist - but pretty close - some mane of hair! Shortly after 40, I did a big cut just past my shoulders. Now, I wear it just a tad longer than shoulder length w/ a little flip. Long hair can really make you look older than a shorter snappier cut. Oh, the things they don''t tell you when you are young!
39.gif

I do keep my hair all one length. I have very wavy hair - that left to it''s own can look layerish all by itself. Layers don''t work. And bangs, my hair grows forward - any bangs would just make me look like Ringo. Hence, my easy low maintenance style. I will eventually have to succumb to "Shades" to hide my gray. But, I''m not there just yet.

In reading this thread, I think this once thought of as high maintenance gal is really low maintenance. 1500 purses? Oh my!
6.gif

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock

Hey Twinkle...I didn''t write that- I''m not the old lady, Sharon is...ROTFL Just kidding!!!! :)

oops sorry! I tried to only quote the part that I wanted to reply to & prob deleted the orig author.

ROTFL= rolling on the floor laughing.

the first full white hair i found was maybe 3 years ago. i pulled it out of my head and then saved it so i could show it to my boyfriend later. it grossed the hell out of him and he was like, "what the hell did you save it for?!" and i was trying top explain the significance of a girl''s first long white hair and he was like, "ahhH! just throw it away!"

my friend who is 39 started using creme de la mer a year ago and it''s done amazing stuff to her skin! we go out and all the guys think she''s my age (late 20''s!).

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad I am not alone in my spending obsessions! I definitely spend too much money on

eating out (esp sushi bars)
platform heel boots
purses (i have two kate spades, a prada, a gucci, and an LV)
Pajama sets (I love the tank top and pj pants sets)
Hair and beauty products
birthstone rings (I have 5)
Anything hello kitty!

i also spend way too much time shopping on ebay.
37.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock

Date: 1/29/2005 12
6.gif
3:21 PM
Author: onedrop

emsmile.gif
Haven''t tried the Clear Radiance or the Bisque, but I will try them both! I also love the Mineral Veil which you can use either under the foundation as a base or over the foundation as a finishing powder. I was actually in Sephora today and bought the Bare Escentuals brow kit. I''ve seen them demonstrate this on QVC so I thought I try it.

This thread has given new life to my "addictions."
9.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 6:34:52 PM
Author: glaucomflecken

i also spend way too much time shopping on ebay.
37.gif
Haaaaaaaah! I must admit, me too. I have gotten some INCREDIBLE deals though, so I try to think of it as *saving us money.* Like those matchy-matchy Coach signature loafers I just HAD to have to coordinate with my Coach handbag . . . eBay . . . half price!!!
31.gif

And there was one day I was feeling really edgy and needed some chocolate (ladies, you all know what I''m sayin''), I won 6 bags of Lindt dark choclate squares!!! My husband was rolling on the floor with that one.
19.gif

DiamondLil

AMALEEKEL

Rough_Rock
I''m so loving this forum!

Want to ask you girls....I''m 23...what should I be using on my face?

I found some great Biore cleansing wipes that do great work...but i want to start early preventing wrinkles!!!

I''m more of a wal-mart//target girl....Should I get regenerist or am I too young?

HELP!

(PS--this is fun!!!)

My obsessions---

eating out
hair products/cuts
make-up
creams/lotions/potions...
expensive coffee drinks!
spending money on my dog!!!

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
I see a great market niche here - ladies handbags, decorated with with diamonds, filled with beauty products... You would just have to price it under $5000 to make sufficient sales....

emotion-14.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 9:32:29 PM
Author: AMALEEKEL
I''m so loving this forum!

Want to ask you girls....I''m 23...what should I be using on my face?

I found some great Biore cleansing wipes that do great work...but i want to start early preventing wrinkles!!!

I''m more of a wal-mart//target girl....Should I get regenerist or am I too young?

HELP!

(PS--this is fun!!!)

My obsessions---

eating out
hair products/cuts
make-up
creams/lotions/potions...
expensive coffee drinks!
spending money on my dog!!!
I''m sure you''ve heard it a dozen times, but use sunscreen!! The sun will do the most damage to your skin and it''s a cumulative effect, damage showing up years later from that earlier exposure. Use a moisturizer with sunscreen and if you use foundation try to make sure there is sunscreen in it. I''ve used Oil of Olay and Neutragena products and think they are great. Also if you are a Target girl, Sonia Kashuk has a makeup line carried exclusively by Target and it''s great! I found that the quality of her products and brushes, was as good as what you would find at department stores. For my old skin I''ve gone with Bare Escentuals makeup now, which is inexpensive and can be found through QVC, Sephora, and they also have freestanding stores in some larger cities.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, Websailor..... you''re a freakin'' genius!! Yes ! Yes! Create it and I shall buy it!!
6.gif
11.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2005 3:20:28 PM
Author: twinkletoes

Hey Twinkle...I didn't write that- I'm not the old lady, Sharon is...ROTFL Just kidding!!!! :)

oops sorry! I tried to only quote the part that I wanted to reply to & prob deleted the orig author.

ROTFL= rolling on the floor laughing.

the first full white hair i found was maybe 3 years ago. i pulled it out of my head and then saved it so i could show it to my boyfriend later. it grossed the hell out of him and he was like, 'what the hell did you save it for?!' and i was trying top explain the significance of a girl's first long white hair and he was like, 'ahhH! just throw it away!'

my friend who is 39 started using creme de la mer a year ago and it's done amazing stuff to her skin! we go out and all the guys think she's my age (late 20's!).
couple of days ago my wife was standing in front of the mirror i ask her what are you doing ? she said,pulling out my gray hair,i said, by the time you're done you'll be BALD....i was ROTFL

a woman would spend $20k on their face to look 10 yrs younger once they pass 40.

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
This is such a great thread! It''s good to have people share their thoughts on beauty products that I''ve been curious about.
To answer the original question, the objects of my bad spending habits are:

Dining out. I haven''t had a kitchen since I bought my house almost a year and a half ago. My house needs tons of rennovations and we''ve run out of money far before all the necessary repairs have been made. Like Jennifer and Mara have said, it''s quite easy to rack up an astonishing bill for a dinner, much less having to do it 7 nights a week. I probably could have had a kitchen built by now with what I''ve spent on meals in the last few years.
29.gif

Home Improvement. I''m embarrassed to walk into Lowe''s or Home Depot now because the workers recognize me and the fiance. We are always in one of those home improvement warehouses, and somedays we can go several times because we keep forgetting what we need or we run out of materials. I can''t wait for the day when I can start thinking about getting stuff from my favorite stores like Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, or Restoration Hardware. For now, I''m still working on the bones of the house.

Cashmere. I''ve bought 8 sweaters, 1 hooded jacket, 2 ponchos, and 8 pashminas in the last 5 months. Nothing compares to cashmere''s softness. Since I bought my first cashmere sweater last year (yes, I''m a late boomer) I can''t seem to wear any other material. I wore short sleeved versions during the hot California summer. Yes, I too own a couple of cashmere socks. Call it a rationalization, but my 17 month old niece prefers that I wear nothing other soft cashmere so that she can snuggle against me when I hold her.
31.gif
I''m better than her "boo," our family term for security blanket!
16.gif

I''m so glad for online shopping because I don''t get home until really late so all the malls are closed. Online shopping is great so that we can really price check things out before we commit to a sale so we know we''re getting the best deals.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, after reading this thread, I went out tonight and bought myself a bra. Now I own ONE bra that fits me. Only 39 more to go (LOL) (normally wear camisols instead).

Double ROTFL - Cflutist here posted using websailor's ID because he forgot to logout after he hijacked MY computer. That will teach him. Cflutist.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2005 121:11 AM
Author: websailor

Ok, after reading this thread, I went out tonight and bought myself a bra... (normally wear camisols instead)...
9.gif
That''s a rather small one... for a guy I mean
11.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 9:47:19 PM
I''m sure you''ve heard it a dozen times, but use sunscreen!! The sun will do the most damage to your skin and it''s a cumulative effect, damage showing up years later from that earlier exposure. Use a moisturizer with sunscreen and if you use foundation try to make sure there is sunscreen in it. I''ve used Oil of Olay and Neutragena products and think they are great. Also if you are a Target girl, Sonia Kashuk has a makeup line carried exclusively by Target and it''s great! I found that the quality of her products and brushes, was as good as what you would find at department stores. For my old skin I''ve gone with Bare Escentuals makeup now, which is inexpensive and can be found through QVC, Sephora, and they also have freestanding stores in some larger cities.
Yes, sunscreen is a biggy. No caffeine and no smoking. Also, another big one for long-term skin health is wash your makeup off at night. A woman I spoke with who''s father is a dermotologist said this is the #1 most important care aspect you can do.

I buy all my makeup at Nordstrom, but buy brands like Oil of Olay at Target. I love their stuff and it''s cheap
2.gif
I went around and got samples of EVERY exfoliator at Nordstrom to see which ones were the best (not too big of grits or harsh) and found Lancome and MAC to be the best. Oh, and I just bought two makeup applicators by Sonja Kashuk and they''re GREAT! The worst brush I purchased was an expensive Bobbi Brown brush. It''s sucks. MAC and Prescriptives have nice brushes. My blush brush has lasted for years. Wash your makeup brushes regularily.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Toys and books for ds(the latest is a toy Hoover vac and broom set... he won't leave the real ones alone!)

*Perfume is my love... esp. in extrait/pure parfum form (Guerlain, Chanel, Caron, Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens)

Books (everything, everywhere... If it's a book about perfume, even better!)

Tea & coffee (Mariage Freres, Kousmichoff, Peets)

Designer bags (YSL, Miu Miu, L. Vuitton - the Epi Leather Bags are my favorites..I like the Monogram in limited, small doses - wallets, pochette accessoire

ed. for spellin' & bold font

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2005 3:45:15 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

Date: 1/29/2005 9:47:19 PM
Yes, sunscreen is a biggy. No caffeine and no smoking. Also, another big one for long-term skin health is wash your makeup off at night. A woman I spoke with who''s father is a dermotologist said this is the #1 most important care aspect you can do.

I buy all my makeup at Nordstrom, but buy brands like Oil of Olay at Target. I love their stuff and it''s cheap
2.gif
I went around and got samples of EVERY exfoliator at Nordstrom to see which ones were the best (not too big of grits or harsh) and found Lancome and MAC to be the best. Oh, and I just bought two makeup applicators by Sonja Kashuk and they''re GREAT! The worst brush I purchased was an expensive Bobbi Brown brush. It''s sucks. MAC and Prescriptives have nice brushes. My blush brush has lasted for years. Wash your makeup brushes regularily.
And, eat healthy - take a vitamin. Pundints have been round and round on this - but I drink at least a gallon of water a day. Next to not using sunscreen - smoking (second hand included) is one of the worst things for your skin.

For older skin, I have switched to Dove soap. I use Clinque extra mild at night to remove makeup & the days stuff. Morning - Dove. It''s very mild and doesn''t strip your skin.

As for young skin, use whatever works for your skin type. I have found that exfoliating once a week, using a cream w/ retinol & a nice mosterizer has worked for me. Take care of your body and skin at that age & you will age better. Exercise & have a good regimen of stress release. Laugh often.

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh, great vices everyone...lol!

Travel -
I love to travel! I watch the travel deals & at a whim will book a domestic or international flight. BF& I found a great deal to Switzerland once. We traveled together after dating for less than two months. LOL. Needless to say, he was a good sport & we found out quite a bit about each other!

Travel A - This includes items purchased while traveling. We stocked up on persian rugs and artwork while in Malaysia. Mind you, we bought two wool rugs (5x9, 5x8) for a total of $500 US. Each would easily sell for 1K in the US. Can''t wait for Bali in November! hehe....will have to start developing a separate fund for that trip. LOL.

Sushi! - I am a spicy tuna whore! LOL. I love sushi & eat out at our favorite sushi restaurant once a week. It helps that it''s cheap & cheerful! LOL. Not to mention the best Sushi in the state (I''m biased a bit...lol).

Anything house related - Since we just purchased our home in June, we have been busy trying to redecorate & furnish! (See Travel A). Most of the time I''m too much of a value shopper, so I typically find it on sale.
25.gif

Soul Fuelers - Books, books & more books! This also includes music, magazines, etc. Gotta fuel the soul!

Gifts - I am on the lookout year round for gifts for friends, family & BF. I may sit on a gift for 8 or 10 months. BF get''s a bit annoyed, but not so much when I can''t resist waiting to give him his gifts. So he gets presents through out the year. :)

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Bare Escentuals.....there''s another spending habit I have...I forgot about that one.
4.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I love buying cloths but since H&M came to town I save a ton of money on cloths!
2.gif

I have just discovered Sheer Cover! It''s great and it matches my complexion better than Bare Escentuals. Skin care is another thing I still haven''t found a good skin regiment yet. The bottom line is that I love to shop!
3.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
H&M has some really cute stuff!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results