shape
carat
color
clarity

what are your other bad spending habits (besides buying jewelry ) ?....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 3
6.gif
6:56 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen
Date: 1/28/2005 2:55:34 PM

Author: cflutist

LOL, websailor and I must be wierd, I am still trying to think of what our bad spending habits are
1.gif
oooh, isn't this a classic case of denial???
2.gif

It might not be.... I can take cflutist to Mendocino, a classic tourist town, full of shops just set up for tourists. She'll buy a few books in a great independent bookstore there. I have to beg her to buy a mocha and a couple of cookies to snack on. All the other shops, she'll go into maybe 10 percent of them (mostly the jewelery stores), kinda browse thru in about two-three minutes, and then she's out of there.

I can take her on a cruise and she'll come home with two t-shirts as momentos...

She likes going shopping (I go with her, so I know this!!!) - she just doesn't buy much. I'm probably exagerating but I figure the ratio of dress window shopping trips to purchasing shopping trips is about 500 to 1.

I know, I'm a lucky guy.

However there is one item - she likes to eat. Put her in a good chinese restaurant, and she will eat like there is no tomorrow. Fortunately, chinese food is usually quite inexpensive.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 4:16:33 PM
Author: moremoremore
Maybe I''ll have to settle for this $11,999 (a SIGNIFICANT discount on ebay) Hermes Birkin.

I don''t think I''d buy that even if I won mega millions. Well....maybe....
Now you''re talking! Birkin baby!!! wooohoooooo
9.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
My father bought me my first gucci and he thought it was ridiculous...and then he learned about the elusive birkn bag, and ever since, he''s never complained about my shopping habits or requests
3.gif

I have traveled quite a bit through Europe and never had problem with theft...bottom line is, you have to keep track of your stuff and be careful. Some people are obvious tourists...and they''re easy targets. Also purchasing with a credit card always gets you the best rate of exchange so I never carry more cash than I need with me.

The first time I went to Paris was to study and I got off the plane and met 2 girls from somewhere in Africa carrying this huge dior bags...they put their purses onto their luggage carts and quickly turned their backs and the bags were snatched by someone....with 6,000 CASH in EACH bag! Needless to say, the girls went out the next day, bought some new dior bags and their money was wired back to them from their parents. Hmmm...if only we were all so lucky!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have a thing for things for the house -- art, decorative things, kitchen things, linens, etc... but my house is full, so that has slowed down. Vacations -- we have learned how to travel and spend. I love to buy nice things when I am away from home rather than at my everyday stores.

I don''t buy shoes or purses -- I hardly carry a purse and if I have more than one then I start losing stuff. I know -- not a normal female...
38.gif
I have gone through the clothes phase -- Nordies used to love me, but now there isn''t one near here. And don''t get me started on coats. I used to love buying coats, but I finally figured out that living in CA really didn''t give you a chance to wear them! So I tried the traveling excuse, but found that coats are too bulky to take more than one, so I finally had to give that up.

We eat out a lot, and DH buys LOTS of wine. That plus our trips are really probably the biggie for us.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2005 5
6.gif
1:47 PM
Author: sevens one
''Black sweat pants don''t count''

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Bbbbbbbwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

You little sh*t.
10.gif

Hey men''s black sweat SHORTS!
Black sweat shorts???!!!.....aiyeeee, spoken like a mother of 7 -- it''s black silk all the way baby. Oh yeah, black silk, firm thighs, and whipped cream, fuggedabout the purses.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
MichelleC: that''s a Tods! It''s over $1250!!!
23.gif

I HAVE to have a huge bag. That sure is nice.
My coach one wasn''t too cheap but much better than the Tods... I think 350 or so. I LOVE it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MMM check out citymoda.com. They have Tod''s discounted -- last year''s stuff -- but who cares?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I''ll have to settle for this $11,999 (a SIGNIFICANT discount on ebay) Hermes Birkin.

I don''t think I''d buy that even if I won mega millions. Well....maybe....
good "O" Hermes ,can''t touch one for less than $6k.
23.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmm the Birkin!

I am the queen of smaller purses but the last two Kenneth Cole I have gotten have been huge compared to my old ones. My favorite purse of all time is the LV pochette, its tiny, fits under your arm and doesn''t slide, it works for daytime and evening as well, and made me keep the crap I carried inside to a minimum.

EXCEPT I would end up overstuffing it because that lotion JUST HAS TO FIT. I don''t know how mine has lasted so long, I wore it daily for 2+ years so the last time Greg scoffed at LV vinyl for $200 (the pochette, not the big purses!), I pointed out that the ROI on that thing was amazing!!!

So I started using one of the bigger KC bags this week..and I''m moving stuff over from my cutie denim Fendi (good ROI on that one too, got it on eBay for $200 and retail was $550!) and realize I have about 1/30 of enough stuff to fit in this new bag. Items actually rattle around in there because there is so much space.

So I have no idea how I''d use a Birkin bag! The KC bag is about half the size and yet it feels like a monster. The worst part is I''m afraid I''ll fill it up sooner rather than later but WITH WHAT??!!?!
32.gif
Not money that''s for sure...HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..

Purses and shoes are EVIL necessities.
17.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
MMM: I have a real affinity for Coach stuff. Mine have all been through the ringer and hold up well. The great thing about Coach is that if for some reason the strap comes off or ravels or whatever, they will fix it for free. And if they can''t fix it, they will send you a voucher for a new bag.

I have to check that website for the Tod''s bags. Why are they so expensive? Even more so than the Marc Jacobs items.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
LOL!! Ah, yes. Handbags. I am a HUGE fan of Coach and Burberry. I have been eyeing a nice big burgundy colored Coach bag for a few months now. Cost isn''t too bad, about $500. I mentioned to my DH that I liked it. He found out the cost. Looked at me like I was the most insane woman ever to wander the face of the planet. So I don''t expect it from him....

Huh. Too bad I keep the joint checking account in my purse
11.gif
11.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Coach does make a great quality bag. I'm spoiled because we have an outlet 45 minutes north of Atlanta
9.gif

I bought this Coach black leather "diaper" bag and use it as my carry-on when we travel. Hubby thought I'd lost it buying a diaper bag when we don't have kids, but even he admits it's great, with the bottle compartments on the ends which I use for a water bottle or rolled up magazines and then pockets everywhere. It has to have been one of my better finds and has held up really well.

Mara,
After you start filling up that new KC bag you might just need that purse light!!
35.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I feel great after reading about all of your shopping habits!
36.gif

I hate to shop. HATE IT. But I do like to browse online. I have several (maybe 6?) Coach purses but they were all bought on eBay or at the Outlet store. And I carry them forever.

I have two pairs of black pants...one wool and one casual. I think I bought the wool ones in 1999. I do not like the casual ones. I always feel like a priest wearing them. Almost all my clothes come from Eddie Bauer and they are usually on sale there. I DO feel like I have to get a good deal in order to enjoy something. (note my I-1 stones....
1.gif
)

I live in knit pants at home. Not sweats, but one step away from sweats.

My clothes will be wearing out before I will force myself to shop. Last weekend I got two sweaters at Kohl''s for $11 each plus a couple of t-necks for $6 each on clearance. And new underwear and bras...the old ones were SAD.

We do eat out or get carry out way too much. I do not cook. But, I now realize that I save us money by not buying cute kitchen gadgets.

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 4:28:56 PM
Author: canuk-gal

As for those yummy Gucci bags with all the metal on them--I found them very heavy, empty. Same with last seasons Prada with the chain link strap, gave me a neck ache in no short order...but then again I am an old lady. Bought the plain leather + nylon one instead with no regret.

cheers--Sharon

You''re right it is pretty heavy empty, but I''ve found that the weight actually keeps the bag/straps from slipping off my shoulder. I have smaller lighter bags that I used to carry out put it got irritating having to pull the fallen straps up or else having to hold the straps with my hand while on my shoulder all the time. It''s also flat enough for me to wear it out to clubs and dance with it on without getting in the way at all.

My mom saw my bag over Christmas and asked to have it when I get tired of it (as if that would happen!) and my dad cut in to say... no, don''t give it to her. it''s heavy so she''ll make me carry it all the time. LOL

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2005 2:55
6.gif
2 PM
Author: Kamuelamom

Date: 1/28/2005 2:53:28 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
i ''ll tell you why most women likes black dress because, black makes them look more slim.
9.gif
Ack! Cyber slap
9.gif
but ooooooh so true.
39.gif
K-MOM
what are you doing here at this hour ? either you''re 12 hrs late or 12 hrs early.so which is it?
9.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Libster: We also have a Coach outlet here in Hagerstown, MD. My best friend and I share a Coach affinity and keep the place in business.

This one I just bought is not a Coach, it''s a Cole Haan (pretty reasonably priced), it''s a medium sized bag, and more importantly...it''s really cute!!

resize.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 5:53:22 PM
MichelleC: that''s a Tods! It''s over $1250!!!
23.gif

I HAVE to have a huge bag. That sure is nice.
My coach one wasn''t too cheap but much better than the Tods... I think 350 or so. I LOVE it.
ehhh! Who''s this tods person? screw them (him/her? I have no idea). Twelve hundred for a fancy diaper bag
20.gif
eye yeye Um, I found a nice jute tote in Ballard Designs that i think I''m going to buy. It''s $25!
9.gif
Oh, and that Coach purse too. These will keep me good for under $350!
2.gif
If I''m going to spend over 1000 on anything, it''ll sparkle.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 6
6.gif
6.gif
1 PM
Author: Matata
MMM check out citymoda.com. They have Tod''s discounted -- last year''s stuff -- but who cares?
oooh, maybe I''ll do this. Tods may not be such a bad person after all. Last year, this year. I can''t tell and I''m betting nobody at the grocery store can tell either.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
AWWWW Bad Spending Habits... where do I start:

Hair: Full Foil with two colors, All over Color (to cover my gray at 27!) cut, and blow dry $300 EVERY 3 mos! Yikes! This doesn''t include all the hair products that go into making my mane look shiny and beautiful!

Face: I am the MAKEUP Queen!!! Don''t need to go far to get a makeover! Just come to my house.. and it is updated and replaced every three months LOL! And I have a lotion, powder, gel or liquid for any "face" problem!

Spa Treatments: Facials...mani''s...pedi''s....brazilian waxes...monthly

I don''t spend much on clothes or accessories...but the very UPPER part of me looks dang good! LOL!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 7:28:37 PM
Author: onedrop
Libster: We also have a Coach outlet here in Hagerstown, MD. My best friend and I share a Coach affinity and keep the place in business.

This one I just bought is not a Coach, it''s a Cole Haan (pretty reasonably priced), it''s a medium sized bag, and more importantly...it''s really cute!!
Cute Bag!! I like it and Cole Haan shoes are pretty wonderful too
35.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 8:43:52 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds
AWWWW Bad Spending Habits... where do I start:

Hair: Full Foil with two colors, All over Color (to cover my gray at 27!) cut, and blow dry $300 EVERY 3 mos! Yikes! This doesn't include all the hair products that go into making my mane look shiny and beautiful!

Face: I am the MAKEUP Queen!!! Don't need to go far to get a makeover! Just come to my house.. and it is updated and replaced every three months LOL! And I have a lotion, powder, gel or liquid for any 'face' problem!

Spa Treatments: Facials...mani's...pedi's....brazilian waxes...monthly

I don't spend much on clothes or accessories...but the very UPPER part of me looks dang good! LOL!
Oh how I can relate to the gray hair!! I had my first gray hair at 13!!! I was 80% gray by 30...YIKES!!! I should have known by watching it happen to my Mom. I loved my natural light brown hair color and finally gave up trying to get color to hold. I'd get my hair colored and less than two weeks later the color was fading and looking horrible. Now every 6 weeks I go and have highlights done which lightens what little brown is left into a nice platinum blonde which blends perfectly with the gray. I'm lucky that my skin tone and eye color look natural with the platinum.

Speaking of makeup, have you ever tried Bare Escentuals? My hair dresser wanted me to give them a try one day. I let her do half my face so I could compare to my current makeup. I must say I was sold, it's the best makeup I've used in a long time, and I've tried them all.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My obsessions-
1- Juicy sets and Se7en Jeans. I have a few pairs of Juicy sets and I have about 10 pairs of seven Jeans, plus 4 pairs of Citizens. I think my most expensive and most worn jeans were $170 or something.

2- Eating out. We eat out about 5 times a week, both lunch and dinner. I don''t know exactly how much we spend. But I usually order sushi about twice a week, indian once a week and then either italian or chinese.

3- This was a tough one, it was toss between beauty products and bags, but I think bags win out. I started on Coach when I was younger, about 15 years old, and then switched to Prada, then Gucci, now it''s LV''s. I don''t really buy bags all the time, but I usually treat myself to a expensive bag once or twice a year. Oh, and I have to always get the matching wallet.
Currently my favorite bag is the LV ellipse bag. I am not really a fan of the Murakami ones.
I will usually obsess about a particular bag for a few months before getting it. Oh, I also got a few "un apres midi de chen" bags for work and a few people and everyone asks me about them.

4- Beauty products. I love makeup, lotions, potions, etc. I buy anything new. I used to love Lancome, then I switched to Clinique, then MAC and lately I have been using Chanel lipglosses and blushes, and Estee Lauder for everything else.
For daily skin care, I use Estee Lauder stuff. I don''t like floral smells or fruity smells too much. I have been using L''Occitane hand, body and foot products for lotions, etc.

I think that''s about it.
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

Hey Twinkle...I didn''t write that- I''m not the old lady, Sharon is...ROTFL Just kidding!!!! :)

I HAVE to have a huge bag. With a medium bag, I look like an elephant carrying a peanut.

LOL who is this Tod guy anyway....Tod. F him.

I saw a nice Kenneth Cole in Macys. It looked like a Marc Jacobs so maybe I have misjudged Marc....

THIS is what I am eyeballing on ebay but how the hell do you know if it''s real or not.

guccimon.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 10:35:39 PM

Hey Twinkle...I didn''t write that- I''m not the old lady, Sharon is...ROTFL Just kidding!!!! :)

I HAVE to have a huge bag. With a medium bag, I look like an elephant carrying a peanut.

LOL who is this Tod guy anyway....Tod. F him.

I saw a nice Kenneth Cole in Macys. It looked like a Marc Jacobs so maybe I have misjudged Marc....

THIS is what I am eyeballing on ebay but how the hell do you know if it''s real or not.

Be VERY VERY VERY careful--i did a lot of research on these exact bags on ebay and 99.9% are just really good knock-offs...the only time I buy a designer bag of of ebay is if it''s been purchased by someone from the real store and they have a change of heart/decide tey don''t want it...and provide a copy of the receipt. I found a great Fendi Zucca baguette like this and another fendi shoulder bag..... But this is after learning a couple hard lessons.
40.gif

Some of the fakes are so good, it''s very tempting but I just wait and get the real thing at the store now.
20.gif
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
you are *so* right. I can''t find it online (the really big one in fabric) and some ebay ones have silver hardware, some are brass. Red flag! I''d rather pay more and be sure it''s real.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 11
6.gif
6.gif
6 PM
you are *so* right. I can't find it online (the really big one in fabric) and some ebay ones have silver hardware, some are brass. Red flag! I'd rather pay more and be sure it's real.
I'd also pay more to guarantee the real deal. Actually, I've sold two handbags on eBay. The first was an authentic Coach purchased from Nordstrom a number of years back that had authentic serial number and sold for really cheap
7.gif
I should have just kept it. Then the second bag was a Kate Spade Sam style that was given to me by a REALLY well-to-do relative while she was on a business trip in NY. Well after the person won the auction, it turned out it was fake. lol I had NO idea, so of course I refunded her and then gave the bag to my friend who was thrilled to have it as it was
2.gif
I wish I had kept this one too. lol I almost bought a real one the other day but unfortunetly my husband was there to point out how closely the bag resembled a purse I already own. lol
20.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 6
6.gif
6.gif
1 PM
Author: Matata

Have you, or has anyone else, ever bought off of that site?? I guess I just a little too cautious...but I''d love to hear if you have, cuz they have some cute stuff!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 3:23:58 PM
I''m sure the men on this board would find your bikini purchases to be prudent investments :)
MMM
so true,i much rather see ForteKitty in her bikini then this creature.i hope he does''nt see this post ....LOL

ARUBA2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
kayla i was just thinking earlier tonite about how i am addicted to L'Occitane!! i love their shea butter hand creme (big tube actually fits in the KC bag...hehee) and their liquid hand soap is both in my bathroom and kitchen at times. i also use their linen water on my sheets and sometimes as a room spray. my favorites are their lavender and verbena, those are in general my two favorite soap and lotion scents of all time but not every company does them 'right' in terms of the scent. i'm also a chronic spender on things such as scented soap (lavender and verbena) such as the eu de provence...Greg says...'why do you keep buying those if you never use them' and 'dont you have a bag of those already under the sink?'. but i'm hooked!
9.gif
recently i got into displaying soft colored L'Occitane soaps in glass vases in the bathroom and stuff, which of course to Greg is like the epitome of waste (aka 'are we ever going to use those?!')
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL Dancing Fire. I''m assuming you''d like a shot of Fortekitty in her bikini for comparison? LOLOLOL

Hey dry skin ladies- have you ever tried Creme De La Mer? I actually tried it once and it smelled so horrid that I couldn''t use it. I was wasting it anyway, using it on my feet (and only b/c I get the stuff for 50% off and once a year for even more off....and I also get all este lauder which includes Mac, clinique, prescriptives, bobby brown, stila, the list continues hehehehe for 50% off)....even though I have to tell you I''ve been wearng the same moisture tint from almay for years. That and some bronzer and whatever lip gloss I pull from my bag....OH NO!!! THAT''S ANOTHER BAD HABIT!!! LIP GLOSS. I stick to drug store brands for the most part, Sephora brand, and some others. I probably could pull 10 from my bag right now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results