shape
carat
color
clarity

what are your other bad spending habits (besides buying jewelry ) ?....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 9:29:57 AM
Author: Diamonds4Me
Oh, and ink pens. What''s the deal with ink pens?? I have a bazillion of them in my office. I have a cup full of them, a magnetic thingy that sticks to the side of my file cabinet is full of them, my cabinet above my desk has about 10 un-opened packs of them..plus whatever is just lying loose (the entire middle shelf is lined with them..I''m not even kidding!). Every color you can think of, too. I even have some with feathers on the tops of them.
7.gif
It must be some kind of condition or something, lol.
Obsessive/Compulsive disorder..it must be that.
20.gif
D4M, I''m starting to think we may be soul sisters. I have a pen obsession too.
14.gif
Most every color, texture, thickness. What''s up with that?
33.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 8:30:10 AM
Author: Libster
I was asking hubby what my bad spending habits are and he just rolled his eyes and told me to get off the 'diamond web site'! Then he reminded me that I should really try to control my DIET COKE habit!! Somehow I forgot about that
12.gif

John,
Would love to see pics of the outdoor kitchen!
35.gif
Woop! Forgot about that. Make the amendment. From discussions I recall that Strmrdr has a monster diet soda budget as well... Should we start "DC Anonymous" ??

I'll post a couple of pics when I get home Libster
2.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 11:50:54 AM
Author: twinkletoes

An excerpt from my blog (07/2004)

. . . .The same applied if I ever wanted to get bangs or if I started shopping at Ann Taylor before the age of 35. . . .

Aaaak! I love Anne Taylor . . . . . oh yea, I''m 40.
2.gif

Libster,
Love that light. Perfect for the LV Speedy.

DiamondLil

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i ''ll tell you why most women likes black dress because, black makes them look more slim.
9.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 2:53:28 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
i 'll tell you why most women likes black dress because, black makes them look more slim.
9.gif
Ack! Cyber slap
9.gif
but ooooooh so true.
39.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, websailor and I must be wierd, I am still trying to think of what our bad spending habits are
1.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Books! How sad is that?

I do borrow lots from the library as well, otherwise we''d be broke at the rate I read, but I do like to own the good ones ''cos I like to be able to back and read them over again and again and again.

Then, of course, I have to buy bookshelves on which to store them.

Soon I''m going to have to buy a bigger house in which to put all the bookshelves and books.
34.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 2:55:34 PM
Author: cflutist
LOL, websailor and I must be wierd, I am still trying to think of what our bad spending habits are
1.gif
oooh, isn''t this a classic case of denial???
2.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Twinkletoes: hello, you don''t take an expensive bag to Italy with you...you buy them all there!

FYI, to anyone heading Italy or thinking about it....there are prada, miu miu, gucci, fendi, d&g, armani, tods, outlets outside of Florence. You can usually find buses to take you there for like 20 euro. The selection is hit or miss...and when I went to them the prada one was PACKED and we had to take deli counter style tickets and be called in by section. I think it took me over 2 hours to get in, but I bought a ton of stuff. Its great if you have small feet (not me) but they had tons of cute shoes when I went. The prada i bought was in the outlets in Italy but had just come out in the US and it was like $280 instead of over $700. ALSO, my friend just went and they had little black bags for like $99. I think it depends on if its high or low tourist season, but it is definitely worth it, in my opinion. Gucci wasn''t that great for purses at all, but in the same strip as a lot of other stores.

Exchange is about $1.32 for 1 Euro, BUT you get your taxes back when you leave on purchases over 180Euro and the prices start out lower there than they do in the US.

Anyway, if you go would you be able to resist buying one anyway?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started to get a tad frightened reading this because everytime someone adds a bad habit, I''m thinking, oh yeah I forgot to mention that among my other bad habits. But, I''ve since rationalized that I don''t have bad habits, I have binges. They are more fleeting and easier to hide/deny.
9.gif
And now it''s lunchtime here, so I''m going to indulge in another bad habit, eating out.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 3
6.gif
7:40 PM
Author: Blue824
Twinkletoes: hello, you don''t take an expensive bag to Italy with you...you buy them all there!

FYI, to anyone heading Italy or thinking about it....there are prada, miu miu, gucci, fendi, d&g, armani, tods, outlets outside of Florence. You can usually find buses to take you there for like 20 euro. The selection is hit or miss...and when I went to them the prada one was PACKED and we had to take deli counter style tickets and be called in by section. I think it took me over 2 hours to get in, but I bought a ton of stuff. Its great if you have small feet (not me) but they had tons of cute shoes when I went. The prada i bought was in the outlets in Italy but had just come out in the US and it was like $280 instead of over $700. ALSO, my friend just went and they had little black bags for like $99. I think it depends on if its high or low tourist season, but it is definitely worth it, in my opinion. Gucci wasn''t that great for purses at all, but in the same strip as a lot of other stores.
Ah, I definetly need to go to Italy. I''ve been dying to visit for years but now I MUST go. This thread has inspired me to spend thousands of dollars on handbags I don''t need
9.gif

I also want just below the knee boots in black. It''s kind of hard to find any that fit snuggly around my calf since they''re really tiny so obviously Italy would solve this problem!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2005 3
6.gif
6:56 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

Date: 1/28/2005 2:55:34 PM
1.gif
oooh, isn''t this a classic case of denial???
2.gif
ok, I do like to shop at REI, but that''s only when they have a sale (every other month) and I will buy hiking socks and Gramicci pants. But is that a bad spending habit if I buy 1 - 2 pairs of pants per year?

Websailor does go out to lunch almost every day, but that is to burger or sandwich joints (around $5). I brown-bag my lunches by bringing in microwave meals to work, either Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice and even then I only buy those when they are on sale.

I guess you could say we tend to save up for big ticket items instead of being conspicuous consumers. Our big splurges last year were my diamond tennis bracelet and websailor''s Rolex watch. Also every year, we take a cruise vacation.

Have you ever read "The Millionaire Next Door"? We subscribe to that life style by being very careful with our spending so that we can increase our Net Worth.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 3:27:30 PM
I guess you could say we tend to save up for big ticket items instead of being conspicuous consumers. Our big splurges last year were my diamond tennis bracelet and websailor''s Rolex watch. Also every year, we take a cruise vacation.

Have you ever read ''The Millionaire Next Door''? We subscribe to that life style by being very careful with our spending so that we can increase our Net Worth.
We''ve done a bit of both, large (understandable) and small (fun/useless/disposable). . . big tickets in 2004 was my new car, remodeled the entire interior in our new house (hard wood floors, paint, cabinets, carpeting, plus a bunch of little things that added up, like light fixtures and stuff) and invested $ in my husband''s company. Then, of course, I blow money left and right on my herbs and clothes as I very much understand the reasoning of investing long term (and this is my husband''s philosophy) yet at the same time enjoy living here in the now so I DO spend, but not 1200 on a handbag
9.gif
, but instead would spend this amount over a few months period on clothing and accessories (many items).

My parents had the same sort of philosophy as you and websailor. I would guess that many of us do the opposite as to what our parents did. My mom was obsessed with every little dollar and always had to find a bargain. I do love bargains, but if I find a sweater I like, I''ll buy it rather than wait for it to go on sale. What if it goes on sale and my size isn''t available
3.gif
? My mom''s frugal ways didn''t work for her in the end so I guess as a highly impressionistic person, I learned to enjoy (much to my husband''s dismay) the opposit habits. lol

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2005 3:56
6.gif
5 PM
I very much understand the reasoning of investing long term (and this is my husband''s philosophy) yet at the same time enjoy living here in the now so I DO spend, but not 1200 on a handbag
9.gif
, but instead would spend this amount over a few months period on clothing and accessories (many items).

My parents had the same sort of philosophy as you and websailor. I would guess that many of us do the opposite as to what our parents did. My mom was obsessed with every little dollar and always had to find a bargain. I do love bargains, but if I find a sweater I like, I''ll buy it rather than wait for it to go on sale. What if it goes on sale and my size isn''t available
3.gif
? My mom''s frugal ways didn''t work for her in the end so I guess as a highly impressionistic person, I learned to enjoy (much to my husband''s dismay) the opposit habits. lol
What handbag is $1200? Seriously, 10 years ago I used to carry a D&B bag, but now I like my $40 EagleCreek Sidekick that I bought from REI. Much more functional with its many zippered compartments, it even has slots for pens, but looks like h*ll LOL.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 4
6.gif
4:52 PM
What handbag is $1200? Seriously, 10 years ago I used to carry a D&B bag, but now I like my $40 EagleCreek Sidekick that I bought from REI. Much more functional with its many zippered compartments, it even has slots for pens, but looks like h*ll LOL.
The black one that MMM posted on page one is the very one I speak of (lol) It IS cute, but yikes, regarding the price! lol My most expensive purse is a coach and these ones last for years, so it''s an investment (right?) lol Maybe I should be buying stock in Coach instead of leather goods. hehehe

What sucks is that all the wallets I like are around $500. It seems bizarre to have a wallet that expensive when I only have $3.00 inside it and about 20 receipts for all the clothes I''ve purchased over the last month. lol

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, my husband just rolled his eyes. I guess I need to start saving up my lunch money.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I''ll have to settle for this $11,999 (a SIGNIFICANT discount on ebay) Hermes Birkin.

I don''t think I''d buy that even if I won mega millions. Well....maybe....

hermes.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Blue isn''t your color? No problem. That''s $32,000 on ebay please.
I actually LOVE the shape of this bag.

grand.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
OMG- does it come with four wheels and a steering wheel?
31.gif

I''m trying to pick up some "spending" tips from you ladies:

1) Black Pants
2) expensive purse
3) Black Pants
4) hair products
5) skin products
6 Oh yeah, Black Pants!
9.gif

(seriously- I could be the first PS Extreme Makeover!)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2005 4:16:33 PM
Author: moremoremore
Maybe I''ll have to settle for this $11,999 (a SIGNIFICANT discount on ebay) Hermes Birkin.

HI:

UH, yes you would......But in the interm, just get the black LV. Your black cat would look great in it....
2.gif

As for those yummy Gucci bags with all the metal on them--I found them very heavy, empty. Same with last seasons Prada with the chain link strap, gave me a neck ache in no short order...but then again I am an old lady. Bought the plain leather + nylon one instead with no regret.

I totally love my Kenneth Cole white leather bag I bought in the spring 2004--not realizing it those magnet closures might be a problem--sure enough it promptly demagnitized two instabank cards, but spared my MC. Got stuck downtown with no cash and had to charge my coffee, magazines...etc......

While in Italy last year, my Mom was at a busy outdoor restuarant and her purse was "snipped" off the back of her chair and stolen. Not an expensive bag but did have some cash in it. Gotta be careful!

cheers--Sharon

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 4:28:56 PM
Author: canuk-gal

HI:

UH, yes you would......But in the interm, just get the black LV. Your black cat would look great in it....
2.gif

As for those yummy Gucci bags with all the metal on them--I found them very heavy, empty. Same with last seasons Prada with the chain link strap, gave me a neck ache in no short order...but then again I am an old lady. Bought the plain leather + nylon one instead with no regret.

I totally love my Kenneth Cole white leather bag I bought in the spring 2004--not realizing it those magnet closures might be a problem--sure enough it promptly demagnitized two instabank cards, but spared my MC. Got stuck downtown with no cash and had to charge my coffee, magazines...etc......

While in Italy last year, my Mom was at a busy outdoor restuarant and her purse was ''snipped'' off the back of her chair and stolen. Not an expensive bag but did have some cash in it. Gotta be careful!

cheers--Sharon

Oh yeah, my aunt''s purse was snatched shortly after she arrived in Italy.
6.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I'll have to settle for this $11,999 (a SIGNIFICANT discount on ebay) Hermes Birkin.

I don't think I'd buy that even if I won mega millions. Well....maybe....
hahaha - I LOVE this and would buy it if I had the winning ticket
9.gif
It's cute.

I have to thank you MMM as I've been looking for a new tote for a while and due to you bringing up this topic, I did a search and FINALLY found a purse I like. Whooo hooo! Yes! lol I went to Nordstrom just down the road the other day and hated everything because big buckles all over the place on a lime green purse isn't me. I like minimalism and so the winner is this one. . .

IN BLACK - not pink as shown in photo

(I can't seem to post the photo so here is the link
20.gif
). . .

http://www.coach.com/shop/product_nobefree.asp?product_no=6800&cm_ite=MSN5055&cm_ven=Advertising&cm_cat=PaidPlacement&cm_pla=msn

I just need to drive to the coach store to make sure it's as cute as the photo. It may be too small
6.gif
(I sold one of my coach purses on eBay so now I need a new one
9.gif
)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol this happened to me. My husband was still in school (physics student) and had a big magnet for his Levatron (sp?) and he stuck my bank card on it (not thinking
20.gif
) and it demagnatized it. Life w/out a bankcard isn''t worth living.
7.gif
Luckily (and not too surprisingly) a new one arrived promptly in the mail.
9.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
That''s nice.
5055_d2.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hehehehe. I have a similar big one in black leather and black fabric monogram hehehehe
PS- Black sweat pants don''t count!!!

AND OMG. OMG. OMG. $1200+. But I ask myself- what''s the point in buying an expensive bag when no one can tell it''s expensive. THAT IS SHALLOW. So now I''m left to quetion my character
38.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oops. here it is

tods.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
"Black sweat pants don''t count"

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Bbbbbbbwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

You little sh*t.
10.gif

Hey men''s black sweat SHORTS!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 4:46:40 PM
Oops. here it is
MMM - is this other one a coach as well? I like the style better. Easier to access the inside. I''m petite though so a big bag will engulf me. I just need one big enough for four or five bottle of vitamins, a wallet, and two diapers. . .lol (and about a 5" X 5" buffer for junk ;-) ). Oh, and room for a bottle of water too.

How much was that one? Maybe the other one as Seven''s posted the pic. of (thanks) will be better??? hmmmm. . .

Honestly, I don''t think 1200 is THAT much to spend if you''re going to use the purse for a long time. I waste so much money on items I cannot account for that it would be much more prudent to purchase one nice item (as you said you tend to do) than 20 trivial items you have to hide in boxes in your closet (lol)!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much was that one? Maybe the other one as Seven''s posted the pic. of (thanks) will be better??? hmmmm. . .

Honestly, I don''t think 1200 is THAT much to spend if you''re going to use the purse for a long time. I waste so much money on items I cannot account for that it would be much more prudent to purchase one nice item (as you said you tend to do) than 20 trivial items you have to hide in boxes in your closet (lol)!
Just to reply to myself. . .I think I like that first one a lot though. I have to wait two weeks until I can go shopping again. TWO WHOLE weeks.
7.gif

Coach purse, I NEED YOU!!!
30.gif
My husband wants to keep his snowboard in bed with him. lol My coach purse would make a great pillow so now we''re even.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2005 5
6.gif
6:40 PM

My husband wants to keep his snowboard in bed with him. lol My coach purse would make a great pillow so now we''re even.
HI:

Snowboard--that is great; you''ll need it to perform CPR on him when he sees the bills for your new handbags......
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results