shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you wearing today?! Show me your CS!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chalcedony does lightly tinted fog shades so well ... love how clear those are !

___

@Bluegemz The earrings remind me a question about shapes of stone bangles: do you wear any bangles with round section ?

I'd have a zillion questions about stone bangle wearing ... (the only stuff I can try on here is pipe !?)

Valeria, thank you! Re bangles; I do have 2 bangles that are round rather than flat on the inside. I tend to wear them least because I prefer more heft and a thicker jade to see the stone pattern on. One is very dainty and slim, while the other is thicker, but a large diameter, so its loose on my arm. Also, the flat ones stay stuck on the wrist in one spot, whereas the round ones slide around more.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer more heft and a thicker jade to see the stone pattern on. ... Also, the flat ones stay stuck on the wrist in one spot, whereas the round ones slide around more.

Noted !

Any reason this shape is not the norm ? WWW *

As usual, I am drawn to a few extremes at once: full round, sheet-flat sections & perhaps oval shape - anything but the obvious D-section rounds.

___
* no comment on that object beyond overall shape, just picked the first example Google dragged in.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noted !

Any reason this shape is not the norm ? WWW *

As usual, I am drawn to a few extremes at once: full round, sheet-flat sections & perhaps oval shape - anything but the obvious D-section rounds.

___
* no comment on that object beyond overall shape, just picked the first example Google dragged in.

I think those must have been the norm at one point because I see many shaped like this in antiques. Usually, they are carved too. I think they are beautiful. I havent bought one because I haven't seen the right one yet, and also I worry about cracking them due to the fact that some are only 5mm thick.

I too am drawn to extremes! I love the very, very wide bangles with a gentle dome best.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2334.JPG Happy Sunday everyone! Wearing my amethyst bracelet my husband bought me when we were engaged 15 years ago. Next to it is a bracelet he gave me the night he proposed :kiss2:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2334.JPG Happy Sunday everyone! Wearing my amethyst bracelet my husband bought me when we were engaged 15 years ago. Next to it is a bracelet he gave me the night he proposed :kiss2:

I love the stories about those pieces! How romantic and sentimental! The look wonderful on you. I love the color of the garnets with the yellow gold.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think those must have been the norm at one point because I see many shaped like this in antiques. Usually, they are carved too. I think they are beautiful. I havent bought one because I haven't seen the right one yet, and also I worry about cracking them due to the fact that some are only 5mm thick.

I too am drawn to extremes! I love the very, very wide bangles with a gentle dome best.

Considering how often I knock around my trial jadeite bangle on ALL kinds of surfaces including tiled walls, I'm glad it's a sturdy dome shaped piece with a flat inner surface. The rounded inner surfaces I'm told are older styles which they don't do so anymore, leaving more jadeite from the boulder to be recycled as carvings or beads. At one point jade was so plentiful, they used to throw away the inner pieces left behind after carving out the bangles.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considering how often I knock around my trial jadeite bangle on ALL kinds of surfaces including tiled walls, I'm glad it's a sturdy dome shaped piece with a flat inner surface. The rounded inner surfaces I'm told are older styles which they don't do so anymore, leaving more jadeite from the boulder to be recycled as carvings or beads. At one point jade was so plentiful, they used to throw away the inner pieces left behind after carving out the bangles.
Yes, this is true. The older round types waste more jadeite and are not as strong. I went to an Asian mall to buy my new dark bangle...all the stores had only D shaped bangles, with maybe one or two rounds from old stock.
Now jade can have hugely different looks. I will say that rounds are beautiful for showing off extremely expensive, rare translucent jade with fine texture and vivid color, like an imperial green bangle, or a water jade bangle. D shapes are fabulous for showing off grain, pattern, transitions, floating flowers, and many other characteristics of jadeite. With the first picture of the wide green bangle, can you imagine how it would look if only 10mm wide? One would not be able to see the beauty of the stone in the same way.
My favorite blue ish bangle,(see picture) is 23mm wide and has taken all kinds of bangs and collisions. It's withstood this just fine, but I'm not sure it would have if it were a slim, princess cut round. Also, if it were a slim bangle, the color would not show as much. Basically you need the amount of jade to show the color. It wouldn't have much presence as a thinner bangle.
IMG_2616.JPG

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, this is true. The older round types waste more jadeite and are not as strong. I went to an Asian mall to buy my new dark bangle...all the stores had only D shaped bangles, with maybe one or two rounds from old stock.
Now jade can have hugely different looks. I will say that rounds are beautiful for showing off extremely expensive, rare translucent jade with fine texture and vivid color, like an imperial green bangle, or a water jade bangle. D shapes are fabulous for showing off grain, pattern, transitions, floating flowers, and many other characteristics of jadeite. With the first picture of the wide green bangle, can you imagine how it would look if only 10mm wide? One would not be able to see the beauty of the stone in the same way.
My favorite blue ish bangle,(see picture) is 23mm wide and has taken all kinds of bangs and collisions. It's withstood this just fine, but I'm not sure it would have if it were a slim, princess cut round. Also, if it were a slim bangle, the color would not show as much. Basically you need the amount of jade to show the color. It wouldn't have much presence as a thinner bangle.
IMG_2616.JPG

I don't even see them in this width here! I think yours is carved with a thinner thickness (paradoxical) to show off the lovely translucency, or as the online sellers would call it, icy. Presence is important when it comes to a lighter shade. I was deliberating having the lavender jadeite bangle carved with a 8mm width and my jeweller talked me out of it as it wouldn't show up as well as a verdant green. Speaking of which, we are still waiting for them to be ready to take a look at (the huge piece of rough I posted in my thread).

As for the super wide carved bangle, I think that's not done in Myanmar, not seen them here like that too. But I imagine it's not an everyday bangle as dirt and grime would gather in the crevices easily. The unevenness of the carved bits may also cause it to be more prone to small chips when in hard contact with surfaces (I think).

In case I've not said it often enough, I REALLY LOVE your blue bangle and jadeite collection :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't even see them in this width here! I think yours is carved with a thinner thickness (paradoxical) to show off the lovely translucency, or as the online sellers would call it, icy. Presence is important when it comes to a lighter shade. I was deliberating having the lavender jadeite bangle carved with a 8mm width and my jeweller talked me out of it as it wouldn't show up as well as a verdant green. Speaking of which, we are still waiting for them to be ready to take a look at (the huge piece of rough I posted in my thread).

As for the super wide carved bangle, I think that's not done in Myanmar, not seen them here like that too. But I imagine it's not an everyday bangle as dirt and grime would gather in the crevices easily. The unevenness of the carved bits may also cause it to be more prone to small chips when in hard contact with surfaces (I think).

In case I've not said it often enough, I REALLY LOVE your blue bangle and jadeite collection :)

Thank you Burmesedaze! I feel the same way about yours!

The thickness of this blue is about standard for most bangles I own and have owned. The thickest one i have in terms of width, is probably around 11-13 mm thick. The thinnest one is the gap in my carved dragon/Phoenix bangle. I've seen thinner bangle cuts which are designed to show the iciness of the jade, such as in red icy jades, where the color is so dense that it needs to be cut thinly to show the translucence. I'm personally quite afraid of those cracking. Thin in my estimation, is below 5mm. Yet, even with my very fragile carved bangle, the jade has withstood bangs. Still, when a bangle is thin, one must baby it and there is always that worry in the back of ones mind...

I agree, the super thick one one would have to baby, probably not a practical everyday bangle for daily wear and tear. But, for a summer party or a brunch or something like that, maybe a wedding...would be fun to wear.

I think your jeweler was right about showing the color. Ah yes, that gorgeous boulder ! Hopefully they will be ready to look and cut soon! That is gorgeous jade!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, what width would you have carved out of that boulder if you were to get a bangle?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also, what width would you have carved out of that boulder if you were to get a bangle?
Oh I told my jeweller ok you decide, since the jadeite owner is her friend. First rule to living in Myanmar and staying sane, specific instructions can go wrong/expect the unexpected. So I don't bother with anything too exact and await what shows up.

You can imagine how vexing work can be sometimes ;-)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I told my jeweller ok you decide, since the jadeite owner is her friend. First rule to living in Myanmar and staying sane, specific instructions can go wrong/expect the unexpected. So I don't bother with anything too exact and await what shows up.

You can imagine how vexing work can be sometimes ;-)
That's a very good and easy attitude to have. when one gets really specific it can be much easier to be disappointed . This way you are leaving it to a natural 'birth' into the jewelry form. I personally try to have faith in jade finding it's way to its owner. I'm very excited for you because of the jade and because of being able to see the whole process.

Work must be at times challenging indeed!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm on a short visit with my parents. My mother bought these moonstones in Sri Lanka. I think I'll have them bezel set in yellow gold with a tiny blue sapphire claw set in between them, with the long ones at the bottom.

IMG_3981.JPG
IMG_3983.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3983.JPG
    IMG_3983.JPG
    336.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at this super wide bangle! How fabulous is this width?

It is a great look !

Not sure if my 12YO sized wrists could carry it honorably ...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll have them bezel set in yellow gold with a tiny blue sapphire claw set in between them

Might a couple of the small star sapphire parcel work ? All 'phenomenals' !

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I'm on a short visit with my parents. My mother bought these moonstones in Sri Lanka. I think I'll have them bezel set in yellow gold with a tiny blue sapphire claw set in between them, with the long ones at the bottom.

IMG_3981.JPG
IMG_3983.JPG

Are these rainbow moonstones or blue moonstones?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these rainbow moonstones or blue moonstones?
These are blue moonstones. Siometones they have other colors reflected in them besides blue in certain lights.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mixed and matched with this dusky pink dress today.
Jadeite bangle, necklace and earrings with the tiniest of purple sapphires, a pink spinel ring with a light blue sapphire ring for 20170731_185151.jpg 20170731_185158.jpg the other hand.

Now that is such an elegant combination! Wow! Those subtle and sophisticated colors! Just super gorgeous, really.
The jewels are truly poetic with the dress. I imagine this well for any social situation, but also as the ultimate business chic look because of the elegance of simplicity with a touch of romanticism.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I visited Big Sur in California for the past few days . It is a place of such astounding beauty and natural poetry to the land...a place that draws writers, painters and nature enthusiasts. It was hard to get there because the heavy rains this past Winter caused two massive mud slides which broke highway 1 on both sides of Bug Sur, so we had to drive from inland on a steep canyon road to get in. Anyway, after many hours of walking and searching we found these beautiful jade pebbles! I think I may have a few of the small ones cabbed to be set for the sake of memories. This large, heart shaped one is the ultimate holding jade.
So this isn't really what I'm wearing, but what I'm holding today!

IMG_4050.JPG
IMG_4051.JPG
IMG_4021.JPG

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very nice, Bluegemz! What a delight to be able to just pick up gems!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice, Bluegemz! What a delight to be able to just pick up gems!
Thank you, Seaglow! It was challenging to find them and involved some treacherous cliff scaling, but these feel like a part of the soul of California. I am so grateful that we found them! A very satisfying experience. One can see the rough geological conditions in these jades and in the extreme qualities of the landscape.
Sigh, I think I have this out of my system for now and am ready for a few days of city activities now. Being in such a beautiful place is deeply restorative to mind and body, and spirit.

Last edited:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Wearing some oldies today... A 14k 2.5cttw antique natural ruby cluster ring, a MOP Bavarian rosary from the early 1800s with German silver emaille, and my great grandmother's 36" Victorian MOP strand. Emerald earrings too but I forgot a photo.
I truly adore wearing things with "history". I feel like my grandmothers are with me when I wear something that's been handed down through the generations. It may sound corny, but it's like a jewelry hug. :mrgreen2:
IMG_20170803_194724191.jpg IMG_20170803_194806332.jpg

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
LOVE the idea of a jewelry hug! Makes me want to go get my grandma's rings on...:think:

Doesn't it though? I SO love the stories and the people that go along with the things which I've been blessed enough to have passed down to me. On days when I feel I need strength I take entire generations of my family with me. 8)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in on the feeling of a jewelry hug. That's the perfect way to say it. every time I wear something that was my mom's or one of my grandmothers' I feel like I have that special lady right here with me.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am missing my Dad today (he is in Russia) so I decided to have a "jewelry hug." There were gifts from my Dad, a Zuni coral ring, a turquoise bracelet from Four Corners, an amber necklace and Amazonite earrings that were mined right where I live.
IMG_20170804_073813.jpg
IMG_20170804_073932.jpg
IMG_20170804_073946.jpg

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I inherited this lovely squash blossom necklace from my Grandma. She loved Native American jewelry and passed on quite a few Navajo and Zuni pieces to me. It's a nice way to remember her each time I wear one.... IMG_20170721_061954968~2.jpg
That is stunning!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results