shape
carat
color
clarity

What are the perfect proportions for a three-stone ring?

What size side diamaonds for a 1.20ct center?

• 0.60ct each

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • show me the answers!

• 0.50ct each

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to Tiffany''s and tried on some rings. Fell completely in love with the three stone ring!
30.gif
Looked wonderful on my hand, loved the bling action and the finger coverage.

So I am planning a three-stone re-set sometime in the next year, but for now I am trying to decide about the perfect size side-stones for the ring.

My center stone is 1.20ct. What size sides would you pair with this size center diamond?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d probably go 0.2-0.25 to really let that centrestone shine
30.gif

Otherwise, if I wanted a traditional three-stone look (and more finger coverage than a pair of 4mms) I''d go with much larger options - 0.6-0.7s.

To me, sidestones in the middle seem not to quite know which way they swing
31.gif

Can''t really go wrong, though!

I think the smaller the side stones, the larger the center stone will look. I say 1/3 carat or so.

My proportion on my 3 stone is

.73 - 3.18 - .73

I think if the side ones were any bigger it would make the center diamond look like a bunch of diamonds.. lol if that makes sense? More of a straight line? (which isn't bad either)

I guess it depends on what look your going for...??

And here is a picture from the helpful threads archive.....

Might help ???

picturrrreeeelsdkjfl.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

In my opinion, since I have weird OCD and need things to be equa ratiol, I would want my side stones to be .6 so that they are exactly half of what your center stone is. haha but then again, i have never had a 3 stone ring before...
41.gif

D

Deactivated member 42515

oooh, novaks just posted her 3 stone in the engagement ring/eye candy forum. her center is a 1.2 and her side stones are .7 and .6. i think it looks nice hehe

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's late so I don't have a picture, but mine is .38/1.21/.39 I voted to go just a tad bigger to the .50 in your poll. I also have a 7 3/4 finger. No regrets going 3 stone!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the 2:1 ratio for 3 stones, so I''d go the .60s myself
9.gif
Less like a solitaire with sidestones, and more a 3 stone. Mine is that ratio and I adore it!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 4:26:42 AM
Author: DandiAndi
I love the 2:1 ratio for 3 stones, so I'd go the .60s myself
9.gif
Less like a solitaire with sidestones, and more a 3 stone. Mine is that ratio and I adore it!

I think I'm with this - and looking at those images that SB posted, the ones that are most appealing to me are the bottom left..( 0.66ct), so in your case that would mean 0.60'ers, or perhaps *just* under, say like 55 pointers?

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
I also would go with the .60 side stones. I have a true 3 stone ring and the larger side stones gives the illusion that my center stone is larger. This might solve your desire to want to upgrade in the future. I think it would be lovely!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted .25 or even .20 for your size, since your stone center is the same as mine, I love the three stone look and in process of creating one right now
2.gif
anyhoot, I just like the look of the side to compliment the center more.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it means anything Tiffany does all of their 3 stones with the 2:1 ratio.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on the look you are going for. I think the true three stone look has a ratio of 2:1. My sidestones are .33 each with a 2.22 center stone. I wanted sidestones to be an accent to the center stone - not a true three stone ring. It sounds way out of proportion but it really is a pretty look that keeps the center stone the star of the show. Other combos provide a more blended look of the three stones together which is a very pretty look as well - just really depends on what you like best.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
.25 - .30 each. Anything bigger and I think the center stone will get lost.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My three stone engagement ring is a .92 RB with .20 pear sides. I love it, but to be honest, it''s sort of hard to see the pears. I''ve always regretted not going bigger, but that''s just me. I guess it does depend on what you want the ring to look like. Do you want the center stone to shine and do you want the sides to be smaller accents, or do you want the sides to be similar in size to the center?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smallest possible.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a 1ct center with .20 on the side. I LOVE this proportion b/c the center stone is the star. It is personal preference though...

ritaniring18.jpg

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
For me, it depends whether you''re going for the engagement ring look or the "anniversary" ring look. For the e-ring look, I like .3 on either side but for the anniversary look (which I''d probably wear on its own), I''d do .5 on each side.

I''m in the process of creating a three stone with my 1.3 and we are most likely going with .35 on each side.

There is a difference between CARAT ratio and DIAMETER ratio too......

IMO one is in the mind (carat sizes 2:1) while the diameter''s closer to 50% you''ll see a bigger impact.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think two .35 sides would be perfect.
18.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the .25 ct because I like smaller sidestones to better showcase the center stone. I have a 2 ct RB, and will add sidestones for our 10th wedding anniversary. When I tried on different settings, I liked stones around .3 ct the best, because they didn''t overwhelm the center stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, so the vote is totally split, as am I! LOL!

Indeed, the ring at tiffs was more of a 2:1 carat ratio. But I have long admired some of the rings around here and on a friend of mine where the sides are smaller. So I am torn!

For reference, these are the proportions that I am debating and that seem to have split the vote: Left is with .60ct sides and right is with .30ct sides.

sizecomparedd3stone.jpg

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 3:58:12 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Indeed, the ring at tiffs was more of a 2:1 carat ratio. But I have long admired some of the rings around here and on a friend of mine where the sides are smaller. So I am torn!

For reference, these are the proportions that I am debating and that seem to have split the vote: Left is with .60ct sides and right is with .30ct sides.
Only one solution to this problem - go try on more 3-stones! I don''t think you can go wrong with either of the above two scenarios so get what you like! Yum!

Date: 12/7/2009 4:21:25 PM
Author: Lurchie
Date: 12/7/2009 3:58:12 PM

Author: dreamer_dachsie

Only one solution to this problem - go try on more 3-stones! I don''t think you can go wrong with either of the above two scenarios so get what you like! Yum!

Yep! +1

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Can''t go wrong with more bling! My vote was for the .6!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, the bigger side diamonds just look like one big blur/row of diamond. The smaller sidestones let the center stone shine.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in for .25s on each side. For some reason, I don''t care for the look when the side stones are too big. I like when the center stone is noticably bigger.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Great project Dreamer.. I like it... I like it....

what shape side stones are you thinking about? there are lots of possibilities

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
You know what, if you liked the look of the Tiffany three stones on your hand, just go for the proportions of the rings you tried on... If they did 2:1 and you liked it- do that...

I went a bit smaller on the side stones than the classic look for my ring, but in afterthought I could have gone for a larger dimension for the side stones. Balance is the key to the beauty of these three stones.

NOVAKS

Rough_Rock
I say .6.
I have a 1.2 center stone with .6 side stones and love how sparkly it is
I also have larger hands (size 6 3/4) so I was looking for wider finger coverage.

One last point is that my original e-ring was .6 and I had to include the stone (for sentimental reasons and budgetary reasons), so it was an easier decision for me.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results