shape
carat
color
clarity

What are the perfect proportions for a three-stone ring?

What size side diamaonds for a 1.20ct center?

• 0.60ct each

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • show me the answers!

• 0.50ct each

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what about color side stones?

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 5:30:01 PM
Author: Laila619
To me, the bigger side diamonds just look like one big blur/row of diamond. The smaller sidestones let the center stone shine.
I agree but I guess it depends on the look you''re going for. I don''t see the point in having a lovely centre stone if you''re going to crowd it with diamonds just to say ''look at my bling''. Like I said, matter of personal opinion....

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on what kind of ring are you trying to build. If you are building a ring around your centre stone, ie. a stone with two side stones, then I would go with the smaller stones (.2 or .3). If you are going for a three stone, I would go with the 2:1 ratio, or even just a smidgen smaller so from .5 to .6. In summary, if this was an engagment ring I would go with the .3''s or so, but for a RHR the .5 or so. Make sense?

dotb

Rough_Rock
To me, the bigger side diamonds just look like one big blur/row of diamond. The smaller sidestones let the center stone shine.
I agree with this. As others have said, it depends on what look you''re going for, & that the larger sidestones are more anniversary-ish, while the smaller ones are more e-ring-ish, etc... , but as for me, I''m with those who say go with the smaller sidestones. e.g. MissGotRocks'' ring - I think her sidestones are beautiful & plenty big enough to accent her large center stone.

I so agree w/ Laila that with the bigger sides, you get one big blur/row of diamond, although of course many might think that not a bad thing!
2.gif
But for me, if I want a blur/row of diamond, I''d rather get a ring that is indeed just a row of equal-size diamonds. Why have a large center stone if it''s not going to be the center of attraction?

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
I voted 0.30 carats per side. I have a 3-stone ring that has a 1.2 ct centre and 0.4 per side and personally, I feel that the sides kinda take away the limelight from centre stone. Here''s a picture of it on my hand. 5.5 ring size.

ML3stonehand.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for all the comments people!

I would like to suggest that people take care in their statements for and against a particular style of three-stone ring. Some comments have come accross to me as mean, and it seems a little silly to judge another style or ring when it is all subjective personal taste.
2.gif

I personally adore *all* the different proportions! Hence the dillemma.

DiaDiva That picture is very helpful since it is the same size centre stone. I think it looks great! But I do agree that it isn''t "all about the centre stone" in that ring, it is more of a equal trio.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
I love three stone rings
30.gif
. The proportions I like best are 2:1 or having all the diamonds the same size. I just feel they look so classy and elegant. I have a 2:1 ratio three stone ring and absolutely love it.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
You''re most welcome, Dreamer_D.

I wish I had used smaller sides now but don''t want to spend more money by buying new stones and resetting the ring. On the bright side, the finger coverage is amazing
9.gif
!

dotb

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 7:42:26 PM
Author: DiaDiva
I wish I had used smaller sides now but don''t want to spend more money by buying new stones and resetting the ring. On the bright side, the finger coverage is amazing
9.gif
!
DiaDiva, I voted for smaller sides, but I must admit, I then looked at NOVAKS'' new 3-stone ring, & when I first saw yours in this thread, thought it might be the same one - I think hers & yours are beautiful! The proportions look good, it looks beautiful on your hand, and the 3 stones do look distinct.

And like you said, great finger coverage!

NOVAKS

Rough_Rock
You''re right! DiaDiva''s ring looks a lot like mine - almost the exact proportions.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 8:44:46 PM
Author: NOVAKS
You''re right! DiaDiva''s ring looks a lot like mine - almost the exact proportions.

Novaks, yours is even more bling than mine...in the best way possible.
9.gif
30.gif

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer, your three stone will be beautiful, because you take so much care and attention to every detail. I have total faith in you. You have a great project ahead.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, dotb. I need to wear it more.
3.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm watching this thread very closely, as I too am considering a 3-stone ring.

Lovely rings you ladies have posted btw. I love all the different proportions. I did for the longest time think that the 2:1 ratio looked the most appealing but now having seen the various ratios, I must say I love them all, for their differing looks.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
I recently got the 3 stone from Erica/Grace which has a 1.2 center and 1 ct. sides. You can tell the sides are slightly smaller and I like the "balanced" look. The bling factor is there too although this one is very refined in the setting.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaDiva,

Very pretty ring!

cara

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the 50 pters, but 60 would work too! I note your survey didn't go all the way up to 1-ct sides!

When e-ring shopping, if I liked 3-stones they were ones with smaller 'accent' sidestones set lower than the center. But now that I'm a married lady...

I think there is something to be said for the blingtastic ring with more substantial sides! And there are ways to separate the three stones visually when setting them - either by use of prongs and spacing or the table height and angle. One thought, IIRC, you were thinking of doing a Leon 3-stone? The man has an eye. You could ask what size he recommends, though I guess I have seen him give people choices...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 10:41:26 AM
Author: cara
I voted for the 50 pters, but 60 would work too! I note your survey didn''t go all the way up to 1-ct sides!

When e-ring shopping, if I liked 3-stones they were ones with smaller ''accent'' sidestones set lower than the center. But now that I''m a married lady...

I think there is something to be said for the blingtastic ring with more substantial sides! And there are ways to separate the three stones visually when setting them - either by use of prongs and spacing or the table height and angle. One thought, IIRC, you were thinking of doing a Leon 3-stone? The man has an eye. You could ask what size he recommends, though I guess I have seen him give people choices...
I was thinking Leon at one point, but now I suspect he is not the best match for me
2.gif
hee hee hee

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''m usually a fan of the smaller stones, but I really like the .60s!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried on some Martin Flyer Flyer Fit 3 stone rings that were just gorgeous! The one below is the one I really liked. It has pear sidestones and a 1.25 ct center in this pic.

Attachments

• Product5845_L.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 512

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 1:07:59 PM
I tried on some Martin Flyer Flyer Fit 3 stone rings that were just gorgeous! The one below is the one I really liked. It has pear sidestones and a 1.25 ct center in this pic.

ooohhh, pear side stones.... very nice

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried pear sides at Tiffs and didn''t like the look on my hand. The rounds appealed to me more!

Wanna hear something funny? A three stone ring with a 1.1ct center and .50ct sides, all G VVS1, cost 30k at Tiffany''s. LOL! Yeah right
20.gif

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 9:24:44 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

I tried pear sides at Tiffs and didn''t like the look on my hand. The rounds appealed to me more!

Wanna hear something funny? A three stone ring with a 1.1ct center and .50ct sides, all G VVS1, cost 30k at Tiffany''s. LOL! Yeah right
20.gif

uh huh, yeah right, you can so get what you want if you know what your after , and if anyone can do it, its you girl

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 8:28:43 AM
Author: tradergirl
I recently got the 3 stone from Erica/Grace which has a 1.2 center and 1 ct. sides. You can tell the sides are slightly smaller and I like the ''balanced'' look. The bling factor is there too although this one is very refined in the setting.
And where are the pictures madam! I am waiting!
2.gif

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
I may be biased here because I have a three stone ring and all are the same size, so I think thats the best choice - LOL

However, as other have said a true three stone ring is the ratio of 2:1, but if you want your centre stone to stand out I would suggest a 4:1 ratio so 0.3-0.35 side stones

ETA: I''m not much help at all am I ?
1.gif

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 1:57:20 PM
Author: Londongirl1

I agree but I guess it depends on the look you're going for. I don't see the point in having a lovely centre stone if you're going to crowd it with diamonds just to say 'look at my bling'. Like I said, matter of personal opinion....

Sometimes its not about crowding or bling - When hubby bought my ring it was because I also 'inherited' 3 stepdaughters, so when I eventually have my ring prised off my finger LOL they get one stone each and there's no arguing about size/quality
9.gif

Having said that, I agree with the fact that smaller sidestones let the centre stone shine

If I was to design a ring specifically for me
36.gif
I would have a stunning centre stone and 2 side trillions in a ratio of about 2.5:1 or 3:1

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 5:00:37 PM
Author: DiaDiva
I voted 0.30 carats per side. I have a 3-stone ring that has a 1.2 ct centre and 0.4 per side and personally, I feel that the sides kinda take away the limelight from centre stone. Here''s a picture of it on my hand. 5.5 ring size.
DiaDiva, do you have any more pictures of your ring, maybe from slightly different angles or further away? I am LOVING the proportions!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DreamerD, I can take more shots from other angles tomorrow as we''re going out for a movie soon. Here''s a perspective shot for now...

3stoneperspectiveNew.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results