shape
carat
color
clarity

What are some current fashion trends that you hate?

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1305925741|2926854 said:
Lawsuit Couture.

These look so dangerous.

yes, but they are not made for walking... they are made for taking a picture in ;-)

check this out

370-demi-moore-harpers-bazaar-april-2010-cover.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to goolge Alexander McQueen.

Hmmmm.

alexander-mcqueen.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
CherryBlossom|1305930161|2926895 said:
I love almost everything that most of you hate. I couldn't live w/out my supper skinny jeans (the only other jeans I have are a couple wide leg ones), peep toe ankle booties (own multiple ones, including one that's neon yellow hahaha), American Apparel deep V T-shirts and tanks (my daily ritual uniform), platforms, or leather leggings ;-)

Just going to stir the pot a bit, but do you all think that age has a lot to do w/ this? Because I look at my aunts and I think they look so good in their well coordinated high end outfits. Even their "casual going to the grocery store" clothes are prefect well fitting Khakis, and nice crisp clean shirts, very nice shoes and bags to match of course... and I think that I could pull all of that off, but I feel like there will be plenty of time to look so nice and well put together. At my age I just want to have fun w/ fashion. I don't dress slutty, in fact I don't like showing a lot of cleavage or wearing short skirts/shorts... but sometimes I do like to wear things that are more unique and expressive of how I am feeling. Does that make sense? I like to put together outfits that are a lil more edgy and at times almost ugly.

IMHO fashion is supposed to be a lil bit recycled, a lil pretty, a lil ugly, a lil whimsical, but most of all a lot of crazy and fun.

This is what I call fun & others call ugly

I don't think it's *just* age. I love fashion and used to buy for a fashion forward boutique, but that doesn't mean I liked everything I bought for the store. ;)) Peep toed boots are never okay with me because they don't make any sense! I don't like fashion that seems contrived.

For example, I don't like jeans with way too many holes in them, like the faded black Current/Elliott jeans with holes up and down the legs that were popular for a while. I bought them for the store I worked at, but I didn't buy them for myself. I also don't love that denim shirt from Urban Outfitters with the cut out shoulders for the same reason. But I've worn (and still wear) plenty of outfits like the two outfits in the last pic you posted.

That's just my personal taste. I definitely appreciate people who put effort into their personal style, whether or not I like that style for myself.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I can't stand skinny jeans on MEN! On women, I think it's flattering and sleek. On men, it just looks like they're wearing denim pantyhose! Eeeeeek!!!!!!!

skinnyjeansugh.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bliss|1305937736|2926963 said:
I can't stand skinny jeans on MEN! On women, I think it's flattering and sleek. On men, it just looks like they're wearing denim pantyhose! Eeeeeek!!!!!!!

HA you have no idea how many men I sold those exact jeans to! One guy in particular had these GIANT thighs and used to buy pair after pair of them. It was INSANE how tight his pants were.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
thing2of2|1305936957|2926954 said:
I don't think it's *just* age. I love fashion and used to buy for a fashion forward boutique, but that doesn't mean I liked everything I bought for the store. ;)) Peep toed boots are never okay with me because they don't make any sense! I don't like fashion that seems contrived.
For example, I don't like jeans with way too many holes in them...I also don't love that denim shirt from Urban Outfitters with the cut out shoulders for the same reason. But I've worn (and still wear) plenty of outfits like the two outfits in the last pic you posted.

I get that. I don't like the pants w/ holes up and down the side either... mainly because they fall apart in the wash :( that shirt w/ holes in the shoulder is not from Urban Outfitters, it's from some random thrift shop and bought years ago. but yeah... I guess UO gets a lot of their ideas from those places ;-)

Imagine being in medical school & at a hospital for most of the day long. When you get a chance to dress up I like to have fun w/ it. It's like role playing. You can decide to be mod one day, hipster another, prim and proper the next. Workout clothes are just comfortable to wear sometimes too.

I just don't know if it makes sense to people, but honestly the best way I cant explain it but mixing up things that don't go together are really fun, even if it's harem pants (which I don't like) the peep toe booties make me feel a lil more in charge. don't know why. i just like how they look... mainly because the booties are never made out of very tough material, but rather real soft cloth, so it's almost like you're wearing gladiator sandels boots. I don't see them as boots. I see shoes like the ones in the picture below as boots, but I know a lot of people would say it's weird that they are being worn w/ shorts.

tumblr_lijoabHfk21qblle7.jpg

Are you still a buyer? what a FUN job! where are some of your favorite places to look for inspiration? and what do you think of these inspiration boards?

Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-3.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1305938957|2926975 said:

HA you have no idea how many men I sold those exact jeans to! One guy in particular had these GIANT thighs and used to buy pair after pair of them. It was INSANE how tight his pants were.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Wouldn't it hurt his swimmers, too? I would think they're like male birth control or something!!!!

ETA: Cherry Blossom, that girl has awesome style! I have always envied people who have the eye and taste to pull something like that together. Very distinctive, very NYC... awesome!

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

those are reallly tight... but the right fit of skinny jeans on the right guy can look pretty good

Does-the-skinny-jeans-look-work-on-men-Fashion.jpg n201000195_30448966_3428.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Cherry Blossom, that guy could wear ANYTHING and make it look decent! Not fair! :naughty: It's like putting Angelina Jolie in harem pants. She'd look HAWT no matter what! Also, if you are super lean/thin - even the worst fashion trends will somehow look good/interesting.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I left the buying job about 2 years ago, but I stayed on at the store part time to keep that discount! :cheeky: I didn't quit until I moved out of state. And yeah, UO had that exact shirt and a girl who worked at my store had it! Not sure if it was Urban Renewal or one of their other private labels.

I actually like a lot of what you posted on the boards! I used to buy Wildfox for the store and I like it a lot! It's gotten kind of crazy expensive though...I'm spoiled by my years of discounts and free clothes and refuse to pay $80 for a t-shirt! :cheeky:

I check out the usual suspects occasionally (site likes The Sartorialist and a few of the blogs like Fashion Toast) but I mostly just buy what I like in stores.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bliss|1305939989|2926985 said:
thing2of2|1305938957|2926975 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Wouldn't it hurt his swimmers, too? I would think they're like male birth control or something!!!!

You would think so! Seriously one time I had to get my friend out from the back office to subtly check him out so she could see how tight they were. They were just as tight, if not tighter than that pic, but his legs were literally twice the size of that model's! He was short and stocky and kind of chubby...it was bad! He had great style, too, but I could not get down with those pants on him!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah I don't care how skinny the guy is...I don't want him in jeans tighter than me! I kind of don't like super fashion-y boys, actually. I like guys who wear more classic stuff. Loving that the whole heritage brand trend is still going strong!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was fine sans-hosiery for about two hours.
After that, it became uncomfortable.
I am not a convert.

As for the discussion about fashion, I love fashion and I love mixing it up and wearing things that are unexpected and maybe even a bit strange, especially to people who shop exclusively at The Gap and Banana, for example. :cheeky: I'm a big fan of The Sartorialist and LookBook, and even when people wear items that make me cringe, I always appreciate it when someone puts some effort into their look.

That being said, skinny jeans on grown men make me uncomfortable.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1305950482|2927064 said:
I am not a convert.

As for the discussion about fashion, I love fashion and I love mixing it up and wearing things that are unexpected and maybe even a bit strange, especially to people who shop exclusively at The Gap and Banana, for example. :cheeky: I'm a big fan of The Sartorialist and LookBook, and even when people wear items that make me cringe, I always appreciate it when someone puts some effort into their look.

So even with a fairly casual outfit you wear hose? Do you wear knee highs or full length hose with leggings like that? For some reason I kind of assumed you just wore hose to work so I am still so intrigued! :cheeky:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Bliss|1305940159|2926989 said:
...Also, if you are super lean/thin - even the worst fashion trends will somehow look good/interesting.

So true. The pics Cherry Blossom posted all seem to have one thing in common...really REALLY short shorts. Only super-skinny people without a touch of cellulite can pull that off. And when they do, it often looks quite artistic. It just looks terrible on people with more than an ounce of body fat. To me, skinny jeans or tights-as-pants are in that same category. I have a big, athletic frame - not fat but certainly not skinny - and I wouldn't be caught dead in anything like that because it doesn't work for my body type.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1305951177|2927067 said:
Haven|1305950482|2927064 said:
I am not a convert.

So even with a fairly casual outfit you wear hose? Do you wear knee highs or full length hose with leggings like that? For some reason I kind of assumed you just wore hose to work so I am still so intrigued! :cheeky:
I'll wear knee highs with an outfit like that. Sometimes I cut the tops off the knee highs to wear under leggings so they don't go up very far, but yeah, I always wear something. I feel so nakey without them, and I don't like the friction on my feet.

I had no idea that was strange until this thread. :-o

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1305930436|2926897 said:
I had to goolge Alexander McQueen.

Hmmmm.

Kate Middleton's dress was an Alexander McQueen designed by Sarah Burton.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always loved McQueen...I seriously lamented his death.

As a fashion degree holder I hold many designers dear. I've read Vogue since I was 12; WWD and DNR since I was in college!

And still...I watch people walk by and am fascinated...not necessarily in judgment, but wondering "what the heck"!! I love it, though. I gain inspiration from everyone. :read: :appl: :wavey:

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
thing2of2|1305940440|2926991 said:
Nope, I left the buying job about 2 years ago, but I stayed on at the store part time to keep that discount! :cheeky: I didn't quit until I moved out of state. And yeah, UO had that exact shirt and a girl who worked at my store had it! Not sure if it was Urban Renewal or one of their other private labels.

I actually like a lot of what you posted on the boards! I used to buy Wildfox for the store and I like it a lot! It's gotten kind of crazy expensive though...I'm spoiled by my years of discounts and free clothes and refuse to pay $80 for a t-shirt! :cheeky:

I check out the usual suspects occasionally (site likes The Sartorialist and a few of the blogs like Fashion Toast) but I mostly just buy what I like in stores.

I am so intrigued. can I keep bugging you w/ questions? what are some of your favorite trends and looks now? what are some classic pieces that you can't live without?

Same questions go for the rest of you lovelies on this thread.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
jstarfireb|1305951695|2927069 said:
Bliss|1305940159|2926989 said:
...Also, if you are super lean/thin - even the worst fashion trends will somehow look good/interesting.

So true. The pics Cherry Blossom posted all seem to have one thing in common...really REALLY short shorts. Only super-skinny people without a touch of cellulite can pull that off. And when they do, it often looks quite artistic. It just looks terrible on people with more than an ounce of body fat. To me, skinny jeans or tights-as-pants are in that same category. I have a big, athletic frame - not fat but certainly not skinny - and I wouldn't be caught dead in anything like that because it doesn't work for my body type.

good point! but I do have to say that a few weeks ago I saw this lady who looked to be in her mid to late 40s. She was about 5'10 and had very a very athletic body. Her legs were cut up like Venus William's legs. She had these really cut short shorts on and her legs were just ripped. She looked HOT. I mean I literally stopped, starred, and did a double take.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Not a trend, just wondering why people don't buy clothes in their actual size?

lbbaber|1305915889|2926699 said:
Haven|1305907217|2926593 said:
Okay, I am leaving the house without hosiery. I did put baby powder all over my feet because let's face it, I'm not ready to take a GIANT step all at once.

nosocks.jpg

Haven, Why don't you try "not socks"? The little slip on things that cover your feet but stay hidden in your shoe. It's the best of both worlds: naked legs but covered feet!

Big DITTO, I'm a hoisery lover but it's warm here. Some footies have comfort pads at the ball of the foot and quite absorbent :appl:
I mostly wear nude lace but sometimes get some from voethoisery.com [Stephanie/Natalie are my faves] for dressier ones.
Mens footies are much thicker and very cool in Summer months [visuals] ;))

PABBIBNCOLJIPFJE[1].jpg

E6383.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only things in my "hate" column are pants with writing on the butt, and guys jeans like those Kenny posted on the first page. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

However, I also have a pretty serious dislike for most high heels with serious platforms - yup, even the ones Haven posted (sorry about that, Haven!). They look unsafe and they tend to make most women's feel look huge. And... I've seen a lot of women who just can't walk gracefully in them. To my mind, shoes are only sexy if you can walk sexy in them. If you end up hobbling, what's the point?

But them, I'm an oldster who still wears pantyhose on occasion, especially this time of year* - so what do I know? :wink2:

*I tend to wear opaque hose or tights in the winter and go barelegged in the summer, but right now it's still too chilly and my legs are too pale for bare, so panty hose it is!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear hose with heels either. They make my feet too slippery and the heels will fall off when I walk!

I hate Uggs and Crocs. Ugh.

rozidesouza

Rough_Rock
I hate short skirts wearing by girls. I agree It give her a sexy look but i hate this type of short clothes. We are girls and we should live like a good and perfect girl.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pointy toed shoes.

It's not that I don't like them necessarily - if they're not too pointy, some of them are really nice looking - but they are just not comfortable. Especially when the heels are really high.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results