shape
carat
color
clarity

What are some current fashion trends that you hate?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The diet thing really bothers me because i see TONS of kids who are maybe 8 at most... w/ humongous stomachs. They're almost always eating candy or ice cream or something unhealthy. When kids have multiple rolls around their belly, it IS unhealthy. Heck, it's not healthy even for adults! Back in the day, women were curvier, but they didn't have a lot of abdominal fat. Look at Christina Hendricks, she's a big girl, but her waist is still proportional to her body, it dips in. It's not healthy to have all the fat in the midsection.

Exposed rolls seem to be a fashion trend around here. I've seen way too many this week. AT WORK. buy some new clothes, please!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1305164960|2919279 said:
Sabine|1305161699|2919195 said:
I think these have gone past trend and into staple, but I have and always will hate with a passion, crocs. They make me sad.
Oh, so do I! I really, really hate those things. For some reason they remind me of a foam cheese hat that I once bought in Wisconsin. That wasn't pretty, either.
Ugh.

Well said! I am a nurse and wouldn't wear them! Yikes...

cheers--Sharon

princesss

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1305237413|2920040 said:
The diet thing really bothers me because i see TONS of kids who are maybe 8 at most... w/ humongous stomachs. They're almost always eating candy or ice cream or something unhealthy. When kids have multiple rolls around their belly, it IS unhealthy. Heck, it's not healthy even for adults! Back in the day, women were curvier, but they didn't have a lot of abdominal fat. Look at Christina Hendricks, she's a big girl, but her waist is still proportional to her body, it dips in. It's not healthy to have all the fat in the midsection.

Exposed rolls seem to be a fashion trend around here. I've seen way too many this week. AT WORK. buy some new clothes, please!!

I'm sorry, in what world is she "big", other than Hollywood? She has an hourglass figure, yes, which generally comes with a bit more fat if only because you have to make the curves out of SOMETHING, and Lord knows bones don't grow in that shape, but I'd hardly call her "big". You can't MAKE your body "dip in" - you have an hourglass or you don't. "Back in the day" women wore girdles (and before that, corsets) to give the appearance of an hourglass figure.

I think your post is uninformed and poorly worded. I hope the way it came out was unintentional, because I found it rather rude.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1305239124|2920068 said:

I'm sorry, in what world is she "big", other than Hollywood? She has an hourglass figure, yes, which generally comes with a bit more fat if only because you have to make the curves out of SOMETHING, and Lord knows bones don't grow in that shape, but I'd hardly call her "big". You can't MAKE your body "dip in" - you have an hourglass or you don't. "Back in the day" women wore girdles (and before that, corsets) to give the appearance of an hourglass figure.

I think your post is uninformed and poorly worded. I hope the way it came out was unintentional, because I found it rather rude.

I have SUCH a girl crush right now....

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My list:
Skinny jeans
Jeggings
Pajama pants out in public
bubble skirts, dresses and shirts
slouchy flat boots (make me think of robin hood)
leggings
flat booties
stilleto booties
tight vests and boustiers work over tailored shirts
Chanel logo jewelry
Toms shoes
safety pins worn openly on clothing as accessories, vs necessities
large chains
perfume/body spray that smells like food, fruit, or candy

I think that's it...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That wasn't my intention, and i'm sorry. Believe me, i work very hard to keep my body fat under 30%... YES, 30%. I was 21, 100lbs, no muscles, and had 30% body fat. 30lbs of me was fat!! My dr. said i need to workout or else i would die of a heart attack. Maybe that's why this whole fat midsection thing really gets to me. I see so many kids and co-workers who just dont care.

Christina Hendricks is a big girl, meaning round and tall. I didn't say she was fat. When you look at her from the side, her her profile is rounded. I've seen her. Even so, she still has a waist, it doesn't extend out. Lately most waistlines i've seen tend to extend out, beyond the hips. That certainly can't be healthy.

Back in the day, before all this processed food, people were thinner. The girdles and corsets only made their waist ridiculously small.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of Christina Hendricks before so I googled her.
What a knockout! :love:

I think I understand what you mean, ForteKitty. I think of myself as a big *but not fat* person--I'm certainly not small or thin, but I'm not fat, either. I'm big.

Ms. Hendricks appears to be one of those lucky women who has a very thin face and arms, and an ample chest and voluptuous hips. This picture is a pretty good illustration of that. I don't think it's insulting to call someone big, unless they're really using "big" as a euphemism for "fat", but I really don't think that's the case here.
christina-hendricks-20080623013938268_640w.jpg

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, so many good points here!

Skirts that are wider than they are long: not so classy. I can appreciate a nice set of legs just as well when the lady in question is more modestly dressed.

To the poster that said something about ugg boats: I am with you! At the risk of being flamed, uggs were invented here as HOUSE shoes in the dead of winter. I used to remove my uggs to answer the front door! I wouldn't go into the yard in uggs, let alone to the supermarket.

Haven, I'd love to help you bring back hats. I look great in silly, oversized hats :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Echidna--Let's start a society of hat-wearing ladies. I adore over sized hats!
There are some great milliners on etsy, you should check them out.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Why oh why are shirts so flippin' long? I'm 5'4" and I'm getting really tired of this trend. Especially t-shirts. They go below my butt. And the fabric on most shirts is so thin you can see through it. I'm not wearing two shirts in a Texas summer.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Haven, that is what i meant. Thanks. I didn't know how else to describe her figure and wanted to point out the big difference between hers and one that has abdominal fat extending over the hipline.

I hope this isn't a fashion trend, but i've been seeing more kids in grunge clothes...

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
texaskj|1305251567|2920254 said:
Why oh why are shirts so flippin' long? I'm 5'4" and I'm getting really tired of this trend. Especially t-shirts. They go below my butt. And the fabric on most shirts is so thin you can see through it. I'm not wearing two shirts in a Texas summer.

I LOVE the long shirts. But that is because I am 5'10 and until the last 2 or 3 years, have had a huge problem finding shirts that at least touch the top of my pants. I am dreading when they will go out, and I will struggle to find a shirt that is long enough (although it sounds like it will be good for those who are shorter than me!) No one (especially me!) looks good showing belly/back when wearing regular top. I do hate the thin shirts though, I hate wearing two shirts!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
iugurl|1305253703|2920306 said:
texaskj|1305251567|2920254 said:

I LOVE the long shirts. But that is because I am 5'10 and until the last 2 or 3 years, have had a huge problem finding shirts that at least touch the top of my pants. I am dreading when they will go out, and I will struggle to find a shirt that is long enough (although it sounds like it will be good for those who are shorter than me!) No one (especially me!) looks good showing belly/back when wearing regular top. I do hate the thin shirts though, I hate wearing two shirts!

Me too, I love long shirts! I have a long torso and am SOOOO happy that I dont have to search forever to find a decent shirt that doesn't show my belly :D

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Haven, Circe, Ditto on the hats. I so wish hats weren't regulated to only rare occasions... I'd have so much fun. But of course it'd be *another* thing to spend money on... :tongue:

Kenny, I LOOOOOAAATHHHEEE the men who wear their pants down to the knees. I had an 8th grade literature teacher. Her response to that was, "You either pull them all the way up, or you pull them all the way down." ;))

~LC

princesss

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1305246156|2920157 said:
That wasn't my intention, and i'm sorry. Believe me, i work very hard to keep my body fat under 30%... YES, 30%. I was 21, 100lbs, no muscles, and had 30% body fat. 30lbs of me was fat!! My dr. said i need to workout or else i would die of a heart attack. Maybe that's why this whole fat midsection thing really gets to me. I see so many kids and co-workers who just dont care.

Christina Hendricks is a big girl, meaning round and tall. I didn't say she was fat. When you look at her from the side, her her profile is rounded. I've seen her. Even so, she still has a waist, it doesn't extend out. Lately most waistlines i've seen tend to extend out, beyond the hips. That certainly can't be healthy.

Back in the day, before all this processed food, people were thinner. The girdles and corsets only made their waist ridiculously small.

Okay, I think I understand you better. As a curvy girl (much like Ms. Hendricks, though not quite as voluptuous), it was hard for me to read your original post because it seemed to imply that she was fat just because she was curvy, which I don't think is the case at all. She's one of 2 women in Hollywood I can think of that's built at all like I am (the other being Scarlett Johannsen), and I kind of bristled at "big" since it is so often a euphemism for "fat", which isn't a word I associate with her at all.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I would advise you girls who like the long shirts to stock up while the gettin's good. Especially if you find ones you like for a good price. I wish I had done that when they were shorter. (I do like the long ones to wear under stuff in the winter; they keep me warm.)
I'm really not looking forward to all that '80s stuff coming back in style. It's been creeping in for the last few years.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
princesss|1305257073|2920366 said:
ForteKitty|1305246156|2920157 said:

Okay, I think I understand you better. As a curvy girl (much like Ms. Hendricks, though not quite as voluptuous), it was hard for me to read your original post because it seemed to imply that she was fat just because she was curvy, which I don't think is the case at all. She's one of 2 women in Hollywood I can think of that's built at all like I am (the other being Scarlett Johannsen), and I kind of bristled at "big" since it is so often a euphemism for "fat", which isn't a word I associate with her at all.

Me too, re: being built like Hendricks, which I rather quite enjoy. :rodent: Oh, and I'd nominate Kate Winslett and Salma Hayek as two other lovely curvy ladies who tend to get grief for it.

The thing is, though, figures aren't fashions. I mean, some figures are in fashion at any given moment, but while those fashions can dictate a heck of a lot of misery and dieting and plastic surgery, no amount of dieting will ever turn curvy, stocky, 5'4" me into my long-boned slender tall best friend, and, vice versa, eating her own weight in chocolate probably wouldn't make her look like me. An hourglass figure is defined as a 10" difference between the bust/hips and the waist - short of corsets, only a small percentage of the population looks like that. Yes, back in the day, people were thinner overall ... and smaller overall, including their shoe sizes and their height ... and, oh, yeah, their life expectancy was considerably shorter, because they were malnourished. We've gone too far in the other direction, too, but if you'll forgive my mixing my metaphors, we needn't use unnecessary rose-colored glasses since hindsight is 20/20!

The issue of bulk in the midsection vs. junk in the trunk is one that can be debated, cause-wise - fast food! antibiotics in big agro! drugs in the water! Soylent Green is people! - but I'm not really sure how it relates to current fashion trends we hate. It's not like designers are rushing to accommodate the plus-size - if anything, most of them think that carrying anything over a 14 is branding themselves with the mark of Cain!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Men who let their underwear show!

Oh wait.

I like that.

Never mind. :saint:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Circe, i got offtrack because i was staring at an exposed belly and half a boob in the middle of a meeting... but i originally wanted to respond to your elegance quote. I think people started to dress more for comfort because clothes dont fit well anymore, so they dress more and more sloppy! That's why i said that if people got healthier, they might be more inclined to dress nicer.

But i also think that some trends are just not made for normal people. i love leggings and slouchy boots on a model, but would never wear them in public because it just looks indecent even w/ a long shirt.

And Kate Winslet is not curvy anymore.. she looks really thin to me!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ForteKitty|1305261057|2920414 said:
Circe, i got offtrack because i was staring at an exposed belly and half a boob in the middle of a meeting... but i originally wanted to respond to your elegance quote. I think people started to dress more for comfort because clothes dont fit well anymore, so they dress more and more sloppy! That's why i said that if people got healthier, they might be more inclined to dress nicer.

But i also think that some trends are just not made for normal people. i love leggings and slouchy boots on a model, but would never wear them in public because it just looks indecent even w/ a long shirt.

And Kate Winslet is not curvy anymore.. she looks really thin to me!

Aaaaaaaah, got it! If I've got my history right, though ... Dariaux wrote her guide in the 70s or so (ETA, checked, and it's 1964 - prescient!). At that point, people were still tiny, so the relaxation of standards stemmed from this new technology of Lycra and nylon and such which made life so much easier for the middle class - suddenly, you could throw things into the washing machine instead of arduously washing them by hand or spending wads of money having them cleaned professionally! So it was more a class thing translating to a "standards" thing, I think.

BTW, one thing I just realized as I was rereading the book: Dariaux talks about figure types at LENGTH, and the only two she really has are "I" and "O," with asides for top-heavy O's and bottom-heavy O's. I didn't realize until last night that that's because the prevalence of corsets and girdles made everybody into a de facto hourglass, either more or less successfully, whether they liked it or not. Ouch!

P.S. - Re: Winslet, have you seen her new St. John ads? She looks scrumptious! Slender, but still curvy - I think she's a great example of an hourglass figure, honestly. It's a question of proportions, not shape - I lose 20 lbs, I'll be underweight, but I'll still be an hourglass! Just bone structure.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1305244920|2920127 said:
princesss|1305239124|2920068 said:

I have SUCH a girl crush right now....

*primps*

Why, thank you. It's very much reciprocated.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1305235518|2920022 said:
I'd like to quote from Kathleen Tessaro's novel Elegance, itself an adaptation of Genevieve Dariaux's 1960s book on style, A Guide to Elegance.

The idea of comfort has invaded every domain; it is on of the categorical imperative of modern life. We can no longer bear the thought of the slightest restriction, physical or moral, and many of the details which were considered to be a mark of elegance some years ago are condemned today for reasons of comfort. Down with stiff collars, starched shirts, cumbersome hats, and heavy chignons! Practically the only die-hards to resist are women's shoes.

However, if women continue to seek comfort above all twenty-four hours a day, twelve months a year, they may eventually find that they have allowed themselves to become slaves to the crepe-rubber sole, nylon from head to toe, pre-digested meals, organized travel, functional uniformity, and general stultification. When comfort becomes and end in itself, if is the Public Enemy Number One of elegance.
(p. 41)

Can I get an amen? If seems like every second thing in this thread falls into this category (with the notable exceptions of the harem pants, the toe-less boots, and possibly, though not definitively, the contemporary aversion to pants - all of which I think of as the fashion industry's little jokes on the general population) .

Look, don't get me wrong, I appreciate being able to move freely, run if I need to, and dress for the weather without feeling half-naked if I leave my slip and girdle at home. THAT SAID. I am as interested in being a member of society as I am in my own comfort, and that means NO Uggs, and NO sweatpants/pajamas in lieu of actual clothing ... and that's just for starters. This goes for men as well as women, btw, though I think we tend to focus on women's clothes more, both because of the demographics of PS and because we generally pay more attention to women's clothing. Damnit, I want the suit back! I miss vests, which, in terms of sex appeal, are basically corsets for men. And I miss hats, for both genders.

In short, I am 80-something years old, in my head, and I just wish we could go back to having standards. That is all.

Amen. Hallelujah. Ditto. Yup. Tell it sister! :bigsmile:

I don't mind giving up girdles. And pantyhose could be more comfortable. But, I'm still appalled that women in BIG, IMPORTANT JOBS never wear hose anymore, regardless of the season. I'm talking about you, Mrs. Obama. And you, Katie Couric. If it isn't summer, you look ridiculous as you shiver. And the fake tan on you, Katie, looks plain silly in January.

But, then, I'm also flumoxed that celebrities on the red carpet are basically covering only their most decadent parts with small swaths of fabric, and leaving their underwear at home.

Wouldn't you, just once, love to travel by plane, train, or boat, with people dressed in their best? Like they used to? I should have been an adult in the 40s and 50s. *sigh*

Attachments

• vintage ad.bmp
    391.5 KB · Views: 1,928

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
plane seats today are too small to dress nice. I'm 5'2 and can barely fit, how do taller people do it? If i have to wear nice clothes and squish in those seats, i'd be very very upset at the end of my flight. At least i wear bootcut yoga pants, a nice wrap, and shoes tho, not pajamas.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1305395271|2921786 said:
plane seats today are too small to dress nice. I'm 5'2 and can barely fit, how do taller people do it? If i have to wear nice clothes and squish in those seats, i'd be very very upset at the end of my flight. At least i wear bootcut yoga pants, a nice wrap, and shoes tho, not pajamas.

Well, that's what made trains and boats so much more romantic in theory. The journey was part of the experience, not just a means of getting to the destination. We've traded savoring experiences for acquiring experiences. And that is a big fat metaphor for what is wrong with the world today. Quantity over quality will always be a disappointing exchange.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hats. I adore them. I look fab in most of them. Alas, they cannot be worn here. Period. UNLESS...you consent to have a CHINSTRAP on every single one, or to RIVET them onto your head. Prevailing "ordinary" wind - the kind that doesn't even get noticed - is 8-12 mph. And that's not even a "windy" day. Today is "kinda" windy at a sustained 19, with bigger gusts. Hats? Uh...NO.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Feather hair extensions. I don't get it...

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1305395271|2921786 said:

Actually, I find it ridiculous when I see people all dressed up for a flight (especially a long-haul one). Your "Sunday best" should not be your travel clothes.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Harem pants
Flannel
Any type of linen clothing

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1305124084|2918469 said:
I hate that so many women wear work out clothes everywhere they go. Who believes they were actually working out?! Their make up is done and they're nowhere near a gym. I think they just wanted to wear super tight clothes!

I also hate leggings worn as pants. It's one thing if you're wearing a tunic, but it's another thing if your entire butt is showing. Leggings aren't pants!

I also hate boots that are open-toed. And this isn't really a current trend but sleeveless turtlenecks drive me bonkers. I hate fashion oxymorons! :cheeky:

Zing! Guilty of two! :razz:

I wear workout clothes a lot (in my defense, it's usually when I'm running errands before the gym!). Plus, I look SEX-AY in yoga tights :lol:

I also love leggings - new discovery this year (since I started working out tons) but don't worry, I make sure crotch and butt are covered by my shirt!

ETA: Oops, I also love skinny jeans. Only with knee-high boots though! I'm too short to pull them off with regular shoes!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1305394746|2921783 said:
Circe|1305235518|2920022 said:
I'd like to quote from Kathleen Tessaro's novel Elegance, itself an adaptation of Genevieve Dariaux's 1960s book on style, A Guide to Elegance.

The idea of comfort has invaded every domain; it is on of the categorical imperative of modern life. We can no longer bear the thought of the slightest restriction, physical or moral, and many of the details which were considered to be a mark of elegance some years ago are condemned today for reasons of comfort. Down with stiff collars, starched shirts, cumbersome hats, and heavy chignons! Practically the only die-hards to resist are women's shoes.

However, if women continue to seek comfort above all twenty-four hours a day, twelve months a year, they may eventually find that they have allowed themselves to become slaves to the crepe-rubber sole, nylon from head to toe, pre-digested meals, organized travel, functional uniformity, and general stultification. When comfort becomes and end in itself, if is the Public Enemy Number One of elegance.
(p. 41)

Can I get an amen? If seems like every second thing in this thread falls into this category (with the notable exceptions of the harem pants, the toe-less boots, and possibly, though not definitively, the contemporary aversion to pants - all of which I think of as the fashion industry's little jokes on the general population) .

Look, don't get me wrong, I appreciate being able to move freely, run if I need to, and dress for the weather without feeling half-naked if I leave my slip and girdle at home. THAT SAID. I am as interested in being a member of society as I am in my own comfort, and that means NO Uggs, and NO sweatpants/pajamas in lieu of actual clothing ... and that's just for starters. This goes for men as well as women, btw, though I think we tend to focus on women's clothes more, both because of the demographics of PS and because we generally pay more attention to women's clothing. Damnit, I want the suit back! I miss vests, which, in terms of sex appeal, are basically corsets for men. And I miss hats, for both genders.

In short, I am 80-something years old, in my head, and I just wish we could go back to having standards. That is all.
Amen. Hallelujah. Ditto. Yup. Tell it sister! :bigsmile:

I don't mind giving up girdles. And pantyhose could be more comfortable. But, I'm still appalled that women in BIG, IMPORTANT JOBS never wear hose anymore, regardless of the season. I'm talking about you, Mrs. Obama. And you, Katie Couric. If it isn't summer, you look ridiculous as you shiver. And the fake tan on you, Katie, looks plain silly in January.

But, then, I'm also flumoxed that celebrities on the red carpet are basically covering only their most decadent parts with small swaths of fabric, and leaving their underwear at home.

Wouldn't you, just once, love to travel by plane, train, or boat, with people dressed in their best? Like they used to? I should have been an adult in the 40s and 50s. *sigh*
Oh, I'm with you two! As Truvy said in Steal Magnolias "Well, these thighs haven't gone out of the house without lycra on them since I was 14. (And Clairee of course responds with "You were brought up right.") I don't leave the house without hosiery on, especially to go to work! I actually think it's more comfortable to wear hose, especially on my feet in heels, less friction.

I ache for a time when people dressed up to leave the house. ACHE.

I really think I'm going to start a crusade to bring hats back into everyday wear. We'll start with the head, and the body will follow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results