shape
carat
color
clarity

What are some current fashion trends that you hate?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1305395271|2921786 said:
plane seats today are too small to dress nice. I'm 5'2 and can barely fit, how do taller people do it? If i have to wear nice clothes and squish in those seats, i'd be very very upset at the end of my flight. At least i wear bootcut yoga pants, a nice wrap, and shoes tho, not pajamas.
We just fold ourselves in, legs first. :bigsmile:
I'm a smidge under 5'10", so not very tall compared to tall men, but I don't really have a problem with plane seats. (And I always fly the cheapest seat available.) I typically wear comfortable but nice tailored pants, a blouse, and a pair of flats when I fly.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1305865058|2926313 said:
thing2of2|1305124084|2918469 said:
I hate that so many women wear work out clothes everywhere they go. Who believes they were actually working out?! Their make up is done and they're nowhere near a gym. I think they just wanted to wear super tight clothes!

I also hate leggings worn as pants. It's one thing if you're wearing a tunic, but it's another thing if your entire butt is showing. Leggings aren't pants!

I also hate boots that are open-toed. And this isn't really a current trend but sleeveless turtlenecks drive me bonkers. I hate fashion oxymorons! :cheeky:

Zing! Guilty of two! :razz:

I wear workout clothes a lot (in my defense, it's usually when I'm running errands before the gym!). Plus, I look SEX-AY in yoga tights :lol:

I also love leggings - new discovery this year (since I started working out tons) but don't worry, I make sure crotch and butt are covered by my shirt!

ETA: Oops, I also love skinny jeans. Only with knee-high boots though! I'm too short to pull them off with regular shoes!

Well if you're on the way to working out and if your butt and crotch are covered when you wear leggings, I'll allow it! :cheeky:

Oh and I love skinny jeans-I don't own any other kind aside from a few baggy men's jeans, and even those are straight leg or tapered.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1305865935|2926325 said:
HollyS|1305394746|2921783 said:
Circe|1305235518|2920022 said:
I'd like to quote from Kathleen Tessaro's novel Elegance, itself an adaptation of Genevieve Dariaux's 1960s book on style, A Guide to Elegance.

The idea of comfort has invaded every domain; it is on of the categorical imperative of modern life. We can no longer bear the thought of the slightest restriction, physical or moral, and many of the details which were considered to be a mark of elegance some years ago are condemned today for reasons of comfort. Down with stiff collars, starched shirts, cumbersome hats, and heavy chignons! Practically the only die-hards to resist are women's shoes.

However, if women continue to seek comfort above all twenty-four hours a day, twelve months a year, they may eventually find that they have allowed themselves to become slaves to the crepe-rubber sole, nylon from head to toe, pre-digested meals, organized travel, functional uniformity, and general stultification. When comfort becomes and end in itself, if is the Public Enemy Number One of elegance.
(p. 41)

Can I get an amen? If seems like every second thing in this thread falls into this category (with the notable exceptions of the harem pants, the toe-less boots, and possibly, though not definitively, the contemporary aversion to pants - all of which I think of as the fashion industry's little jokes on the general population) .

Look, don't get me wrong, I appreciate being able to move freely, run if I need to, and dress for the weather without feeling half-naked if I leave my slip and girdle at home. THAT SAID. I am as interested in being a member of society as I am in my own comfort, and that means NO Uggs, and NO sweatpants/pajamas in lieu of actual clothing ... and that's just for starters. This goes for men as well as women, btw, though I think we tend to focus on women's clothes more, both because of the demographics of PS and because we generally pay more attention to women's clothing. Damnit, I want the suit back! I miss vests, which, in terms of sex appeal, are basically corsets for men. And I miss hats, for both genders.

In short, I am 80-something years old, in my head, and I just wish we could go back to having standards. That is all.
Amen. Hallelujah. Ditto. Yup. Tell it sister! :bigsmile:

I don't mind giving up girdles. And pantyhose could be more comfortable. But, I'm still appalled that women in BIG, IMPORTANT JOBS never wear hose anymore, regardless of the season. I'm talking about you, Mrs. Obama. And you, Katie Couric. If it isn't summer, you look ridiculous as you shiver. And the fake tan on you, Katie, looks plain silly in January.

But, then, I'm also flumoxed that celebrities on the red carpet are basically covering only their most decadent parts with small swaths of fabric, and leaving their underwear at home.

Wouldn't you, just once, love to travel by plane, train, or boat, with people dressed in their best? Like they used to? I should have been an adult in the 40s and 50s. *sigh*
Oh, I'm with you two! As Truvy said in Steal Magnolias "Well, these thighs haven't gone out of the house without lycra on them since I was 14. (And Clairee of course responds with "You were brought up right.") I don't leave the house without hosiery on, especially to go to work! I actually think it's more comfortable to wear hose, especially on my feet in heels, less friction.

I ache for a time when people dressed up to leave the house. ACHE.

I really think I'm going to start a crusade to bring hats back into everyday wear. We'll start with the head, and the body will follow.

I have to disagree on the hose-I hate them. The sheerer they are, the more I dislike them! I don't see the purpose of them and I also don't understand how they're somehow more appropriate than bare legs when wearing a skirt or dress. Traditional doesn't = correct! There is nothing wrong with my legs-why would I wear sheer flesh-tone hose over them? I will wear completely opaque tights when it's cold out, but that's it.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I'm with you two! As Truvy said in Steal Magnolias "Well, these thighs haven't gone out of the house without lycra on them since I was 14. (And Clairee of course responds with "You were brought up right.") I don't leave the house without hosiery on, especially to go to work! I actually think it's more comfortable to wear hose, especially on my feet in heels, less friction.

I really think I'm going to start a crusade to bring hats back into everyday wear. We'll start with the head, and the body will follow.
Really? I...don't know what to make of that. I think I've worn real hosiery once in the past decade. Occasionally tights in winter, but usually I buy a pair, wear them once, am reminded that I hate hose/tights, and never take them out of my drawer again.

I'm a sloppy dresser. I know how to dress properly, and I do it for work, but I really really love my black Old Navy yoga pants. I think the best day of my life was when I found some pants that looked exactly like dress pants but had an elastic waist. :lol:

(but thank you for quoting Steel Magnolias. It's probably the best movie ever made and I am perpetually annoyed that I quote it and no one gets the reference. My law school personal statement actually used the line "laughter through tears is my favorite emotion"!)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't your feet feel icky when they're bare inside of shoes with a leather upper?
I cannot stand the feel of bare feet inside of shoes. I can't stand it!

I'm sure you have beeyooteeful legs, my dear Thing2, but *some* people (certainly not PSers!) could really benefit from the subtle help of a nice pair of hosiery. They're kind of like tinted moisturizer for the face--they even everything out and mask inconsistencies without looking cakey or obvious. :cheeky:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1305866884|2926336 said:
Don't your feet feel icky when they're bare inside of shoes with a leather upper?

I'm sure you have beeyooteeful legs, my dear Thing2, but *some* people (certainly not PSers!) could really benefit from the subtle help of a nice pair of hosiery. They're kind of like tinted moisturizer for the face--they even everything out and mask inconsistencies without looking cakey or obvious. :cheeky:
I've never thought about it, to be honest, so I guess that's a no. I hate shoes and socks, so I try to keep my feet bare as much as is societally acceptable. If my feet are hidden behind a desk - there uncovered!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1305866805|2926335 said:

Really? I...don't know what to make of that. I think I've worn real hosiery once in the past decade. Occasionally tights in winter, but usually I buy a pair, wear them once, am reminded that I hate hose/tights, and never take them out of my drawer again.

I'm a sloppy dresser. I know how to dress properly, and I do it for work, but I really really love my black Old Navy yoga pants. I think the best day of my life was when I found some pants that looked exactly like dress pants but had an elastic waist. :lol:

(but thank you for quoting Steel Magnolias. It's probably the best movie ever made and I am perpetually annoyed that I quote it and no one gets the reference. My law school personal statement actually used the line "laughter through tears is my favorite emotion"!)
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
I love that movie. LOVE IT. Sometimes I think I may name a future child M'Lynn. Or Truvy.

Am I the only person who wears hosiery on a regular basis? I suppose it was ingrained in me as a child, I don't know. I cannot go out with bare legs unless I'm wearing workout shorts and gym shoes and going for a run or a bike ride or something. Otherwise, Lycra it is!

SIDE NOTE: Please forgive my spelling error--I know it's "Steel" and not "Steal." Ugh. It's late for me. That's my only excuse. Although, a movie about Southern flower thieves might have potential . . .

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Haven I like to wear little 'foot sock' things.

although usually I am wearing some sort of walking shoe because I walk ~3 miles a day,

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I actually hate wearing hose with dress shoes because my feet are narrow and they slide around way more than if it's just my bare feet. Hose are slippery! I wore hose to a Mad Men costume party a few years ago and I could barely walk in my heels! I don't even like wearing my opaque tights with dress shoes for the same reason.

I have scarred up knees (side effect of being a tomboy and athlete) and a pretty noticeable knee-surgery scar, but I'm not ashamed-naked legs for everyone!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1305867061|2926337 said:

I've never thought about it, to be honest, so I guess that's a no. I hate shoes and socks, so I try to keep my feet bare as much as is societally acceptable. If my feet are hidden behind a desk - there uncovered!
I wonder if my bare foot thing is all in my mind.

You mean you don't wear stockings of any kind when you wear heels? What about patent leather? I just bought these tonight (but by Guess, not this brand.) Could you go bare footed in these?
http://www.heels.com/womens-shoes/pure-camel-pat.html

ETA: Maybe I have monster feet. My feet get blistered or red and gross looking when I don't wear hosiery. TMI, I'm sure.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1305867415|2926342 said:
sillyberry|1305867061|2926337 said:

I wonder if my bare foot thing is all in my mind.

You mean you don't wear stockings of any kind when you wear heels? What about patent leather? I just bought these tonight (but by Guess, not this brand.) Could you go bare footed in these?
http://www.heels.com/womens-shoes/pure-camel-pat.html

Nope, never! If I'm not wearing regular socks I'm bare footed. And I don't think I could go any footed in those shoes-I'd break my neck! :cheeky: My interview heels are maybe 2.5" and otherwise I wear shoes like this when I go out:

99-blkzoom6.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
It pretty much doesn't matter what kind of shoes - I don't wear hose.

The one exception I can remember is when I went to a wedding in January...in Chicago. Hose seemed appropriate as a desperate attempt not to freeze.

Otherwise - bare legged.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm jealous.
Maybe I've damned my feet to a lifetime of fragility from never exposing them to the inside of a shoe, and now I can't ever go barefooted in shoes again. ;(

This is seriously a revelation for me. I really thought everyone wore hosiery with heels. And no, I do not live in a cave, thankyouforasking. :cheeky: I'm going to have a long talk with my mother. Growing up, we were either wearing Birkenstocks (BAREFOOTED!) or dress shoes (usually to synagogue) with stockings. Or winter boots with thick socks, of course.

Thing2--Those shoes are so cute. They kind of remind me of something Minnie Mouse would wear if she were a badass sexy little thang. :bigsmile:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1305868214|2926348 said:
I'm jealous.
Maybe I've damned my feet to a lifetime of fragility from never exposing them to the inside of a shoe, and now I can't ever go barefooted in shoes again. ;(

This is seriously a revelation for me. I really thought everyone wore hosiery with heels. And no, I do not live in a cave, thankyouforasking. :cheeky: I'm going to have a long talk with my mother. Growing up, we were either wearing Birkenstocks (BAREFOOTED!) or dress shoes (usually to synagogue) with stockings. Or winter boots with thick socks, of course.

Thing2--Those shoes are so cute. They kind of remind me of something Minnie Mouse would wear if she were a badass sexy little thang. :bigsmile:

:cheeky: I swear they're super cute in person! And you could always get wild and try going bare foot! I do think some people must just like wearing socks. Maybe you have sensitive feet! My sister wears those little footies with most of her shoes. I hate them-they squish my toes!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I DO think they're cute! I love them!

I might try to go barefoot, but seriously I don't think my feet will survive. They're bony and susceptible to blistering. Once I had a run in my stocking that ran from my big toe up, and I came home with two blisters in the exposed area. :-o I had no idea my feet were abnormally sensitive. Bah.

I do have some awesome hosiery, though. And Target has recently stocked some sexay styles, they really can be fun.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1305245242|2920135 said:
My list:
Skinny jeans
Jeggings
Pajama pants out in public
bubble skirts, dresses and shirts
slouchy flat boots (make me think of robin hood)
leggings
flat booties
stilleto booties

This pretty much covers my list too, HH. Man, I HATE skinny jeans and leggings worn without a skirt of reasonable length (which I define as at least halfway between crotch and knee). They look fine on toothpick-thin models, but not on 90% of real women. And bubble skirts...don't even get me started! And even worse is when the bubble dress is completely shapless and just hangs down from the chest with no attempt to create a waistline at all. They look like maternity clothes for non-pregnant women.

I have to go against the grain for Crocs, though. They're super-comfy, easy to clean, and some of the newer styles are even a little bit cute. I wear them to work a lot.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
What's the difference between hose and tights?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
mayerling|1305876825|2926385 said:
What's the difference between hose and tights?
this isn't a great distinctino, but to me, the key difference is weight and opacity

hosiery.png

tights.jpg

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Haven, I'm with you on hosiery! I can't stand to wear closed-toe shoes with just my bare foot. I wear skirts most days, and unless I'm wearing a very casual skirt with sandals (which I would not wear to work), I've got some sort of hosiery on (tights in winter). It's just more comfortable to me, even in a DC summer.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Add me to the crowd who never wears hosiery. I just think they're uncomfortable and I can't wear them for even one day without somehow getting a big run in them. But then, I hardly ever wear heels. I pretty much live in ballet flats, boots (in the winter), or sandals/flip flops (in the summer). I'm 5'2, but I've come to terms with that and like wearing flats.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Count me in the hosiery club. Unless I'm wearing sandals, I will wear hosiery. In the winter, I wear tights or thin trouser sock with boots. I loathe leggings though, will never wear those. Actually i take that back. I wore them in 1991, when I was in middle school. But that's it. :tongue:

~LC

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I am leaving the house without hosiery. I did put baby powder all over my feet because let's face it, I'm not ready to take a GIANT step all at once.

Wish me luck.

Evidence. (Don't worry, I'm not wearing the leggings as tights. My bum is well hidden.)
nosocks.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is so interesting! I never knew there were peep toe boots -- i had to google it to see. I happen to love peep toe shoes, myself -- the boot thing i don't really get, but peep toe pumps i love!

I don't like skinny jeans - i don't own any, and i never will. That's probably the only trend i really dislike.

In defense of crocs, my husband and i both wear them and we love them! The men's line makes a loafter like a "snook" that he loves and i have a pair of super cute wedge heels that i can stand in all day and not have pain (which is a miracle).

On pantyhose....I haven't worn hose in more than 10 years. My mom always made me wear it, and in fact i wore it through college years (to dances and whatnot) and it always upset me when people wore pantyhose and open toed shoes. These days though, I don't EVER see anyone besides my grandmother wearing panty hose. I don't even own a pair, and at this point in time, I certainly don't consider it to be bad etiquette for anyone (including michelle obama) to be bare legged.

p.s. good luck haven! good for you for branching out - you might never go back to hosiery again :bigsmile:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I still can't do the no socks thing. Except for flip flops and I almost never wear flips for an extended period of time since they're really uncomfortable for me.

Haven, i like your little tattoo. It almost looks like a Seuss-fish.

~LC

ETA, how can I "un-bold" this post??

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1305907217|2926593 said:
Okay, I am leaving the house without hosiery. I did put baby powder all over my feet because let's face it, I'm not ready to take a GIANT step all at once.

Wish me luck.

Evidence. (Don't worry, I'm not wearing the leggings as tights. My bum is well hidden.)
nosocks.jpg

Haven, Why don't you try "not socks"? The little slip on things that cover your feet but stay hidden in your shoe. It's the best of both worlds: naked legs but covered feet! They come in all shapes and colors. Find a *good* pair and nobody will know you are wearing them (except your dry/comfy feet!)

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't stand plastic shoes. I hate the way they feel and look.

But I am a card carrying member of the hat club as well. Cloches, pillbox, portrait, fedora - I am in favour of all of them!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven-you're so brave! I'm eagerly awaiting your end of day report! :cheeky:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lawsuit Couture.

These look so dangerous.

1.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha I haaaaaaaaate those shoes, kenny. Not because they look dangerous but because they just look disgusting. I love Alexander McQueen, but NO. I will say that I was impressed Lady Gaga could dance in them, though! She's the only person who should wear those shoes.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
I love almost everything that most of you hate. I couldn't live w/out my supper skinny jeans (the only other jeans I have are a couple wide leg ones), peep toe ankle booties (own multiple ones, including one that's neon yellow hahaha), American Apparel deep V T-shirts and tanks (my daily ritual uniform), platforms, or leather leggings ;-)

Just going to stir the pot a bit, but do you all think that age has a lot to do w/ this? Because I look at my aunts and I think they look so good in their well coordinated high end outfits. Even their "casual going to the grocery store" clothes are prefect well fitting Khakis, and nice crisp clean shirts, very nice shoes and bags to match of course... and I think that I could pull all of that off, but I feel like there will be plenty of time to look so nice and well put together. At my age I just want to have fun w/ fashion. I don't dress slutty, in fact I don't like showing a lot of cleavage or wearing short skirts/shorts... but sometimes I do like to wear things that are more unique and expressive of how I am feeling. Does that make sense? I like to put together outfits that are a lil more edgy and at times almost ugly.

IMHO fashion is supposed to be a lil bit recycled, a lil pretty, a lil ugly, a lil whimsical, but most of all a lot of crazy and fun.

This is what I call fun & others call ugly
tumblr_ledtypdmq11qblle7.jpg
tumblr_le7vchkRiG1qcpbd6o1_500.jpg
tumblr_l8x6nmLjht1qblle7.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results