shape
carat
color
clarity

What are some current fashion trends that you hate?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think leggings as pants look cute if you are under the age of 8. My daughter, for example, can rock a pair of leggings and look adorable. :cheeky:

I also hate the writing across girl's butts. I hate to see people who are CLEARLY wearing the wrong size clothing. I hate seeing women of a certain age wearing the same styles as tween girls. The junior department should have an age limit. I hate SUPER short shorts. I can't care if you are Heidi Klum no one should show that much leg. 90% of the women I see out are in workout clothes. Not a fan of one sleeve shirts. I don't like light jeans. I don't like jeans with high contrast "bleach" spots on the thighs/butt.

I am sure there are many more but that's all I can think of for now.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully not a trend, but I have seen it:
Men should NOT wear shorts that are so short/loose that everything (ahem) hangs out when they sit :knockout:

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
On Men:

1) Those who look like Kenny's exhibit on page 1
2) skinny jeans
3) Men who wear eyeliner but aren't currently on-stage with their band
4) those button down shirts that have floral print on the collar and sleeves (so you have to turn the sleeves up so it can be seen)

On Women:

1) Designer Sweats (I was guilty, it was the uniform where I live, but now I know better)
2) Peep Toe Boots (WHY!?)
3) Designer knock-offs (I'm not talking about inspired looks or Steve Madden, Aldo, Bakers, etc...I mean buying fakes and thinking we don't know that they are fake!)
4) Bubble dresses

I love skinny jeans, especially in winter so they fit into my boots!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

untied.jpg

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could find some cute work tops that aren't doused in ruffles. I'm petite and I feel like I'm being smothered under yards of ruffly fabric when I try any of these on. It seems a bit better now than it has been the past couple seasons, but I still haven't been able to buy many tops in forever...and I NEED some...

Other than that, most of my pet peeves have already been mentioned. I, too, have a co-worker who thinks leggings and tank tops are appropriate office attire. I wish someone would call her on it, but it's not my place so I'm just trying to ignore it.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Shooties with skirts. Just no.

Boots with peep toes. Aren't those piggy's getting a bit icy?

Scarves wrapped around necks two and three times. Might as well wear a Snuggie if you're gonna wear a throw.

Jeggings. Leggings. We stopped wearing pantyhose so we could bind ourselves with more Lycra?

Spanx. That excess skin/fat/lumpiness has to go somewhere. If you feel sausage-y, you probably look sausage-y.

Necklines 'down to there'. So we can all buy those neck hankies that attach to our bras? Lame or immodest; it's a conundrum.

And, I thought for sure that the "Pull Up Your Pants" song would have had an effect on butt belting among our young minorities and non-minority 'brother wannabes'. But, alas. Still going strong in the 'hood.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
lbbaber|1305137878|2918780 said:
jaysonsmom|1305137006|2918753 said:
I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but I hate people who wear sweat suits EVERYWHERE!

Especially if they have stuff written on their butt, like Juicy, Pink, Bebe. They are one step up from pajamas in my opinion. I've seen people wear it to go shopping, dining at a restaurant, to work on fridays....

They are fine (IMO) only for laying around at home, dash to the grocery store, to pick up kids, park....

Oh, yes....I almost wrote that too but then erased it at the last minute. Sweat suits are GREAT, for exercising... and if I was going to be sweating, you can bet your last dollar that it wouldn't be in a sweat suit that costs so much $$$...I just dont get the point in designer sweats!?! I would much rather buy a pair of shoes with that money.

I think we are style twins! I don't get the whole sweats for $$$$ but for a cute pair of shoes, I'm all for it!

Inkblot

Rough_Rock
Ugg boots. I'm sorry, I know people love them. However, I think when people tuck their pants into Ugg boots, it just makes their butt look massive. Even little twiggy girls.

The trend of high school girls in my area is to tuck Victoria's Secret or Juicy sweatpants or even pajama pants into Uggs topped with a tight shirt. It makes me shudder.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Muffin tops and plumbers crack.

I swear, I wish folks would just buy clothes that fit.

-A

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1305125969|2918497 said:
I wear slacks and dress shirts 40 hours a week.. when i'm not at work, i live in my yoga pants/capris, tank top, and flip flops. You cannot get me near a pair of jeans unless i'm going out. Granted my yoga pants are not tight or thin, and no crack or cameltoe is showing.

My work banned leggings as well, but people still try to wear them.

I HATE peep toed boots.

THIS! Me too!

I wear lots of gap body clothes and lululemon because its comfortable...not because its tight. I hate jeans unless I'm going out....

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Most of what I don't like has been said -- peep toe anything; sweat or workout stuff outside the gym, ditto tennis outfits off the court; cleavage in the daytime -- and tattoos. I'm sure plenty of you folks have them & I hope they're small -- when you get old & wrinkly (just ask Kirops about that :twisted:) it's going to make you very sad. Fact of life, I'm just sayin'. And yeah, loose short shorts on men, puleez!

I mainly wish people would take a good look in the mirror before they leave the house. Like, maybe your daughter's clothes aren't quite the thing on you?

--- Laurie

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I think these have gone past trend and into staple, but I have and always will hate with a passion, crocs. They make me sad.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sabine|1305161699|2919195 said:
I think these have gone past trend and into staple, but I have and always will hate with a passion, crocs. They make me sad.
Oh, so do I! I really, really hate those things. For some reason they remind me of a foam cheese hat that I once bought in Wisconsin. That wasn't pretty, either.
Ugh.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1305164960|2919279 said:
Oh, so do I! I really, really hate those things. For some reason they remind me of a foam cheese hat that I once bought in Wisconsin. That wasn't pretty, either.
Ugh.

Are they okay for us nurses?!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nurses can wear whatever they like and it won't bother me. I've seen what you have to put up with, and you have my total and unquestioning respect. 8)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

UGH I hate and will always hate Crocs! Disgusting! It looks like a giant plastic hoof or something. WHY?!

AN-nurses can wear whatever shoes make their feet not hurt! That's different...same for chefs! :cheeky:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I just don't understand why crocs are so wide :confused: :confused:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1305172621|2919403 said:

Because most people who would go for those atrocious things are doing it for comfort. Meaning regular shoes are probably not comfortable because these comfort seekers have wide feet...hence crocs being wide? Just a theory.

And FWIW, this wide footed gal (narrow in the heel, wide in the front- I look like a duck) won't touch crocs. It IS a challenge to find flip flops my pinky toe doesn't hang over though...reefs and sanuks do it for me!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1305173715|2919412 said:

Because most people who would go for those atrocious things are doing it for comfort. Meaning regular shoes are probably not comfortable because these comfort seekers have wide feet...hence crocs being wide? Just a theory.

And FWIW, this wide footed gal (narrow in the heel, wide in the front- I look like a duck) won't touch crocs. It IS a challenge to find flip flops my pinky toe doesn't hang over though...reefs and sanuks do it for me!

I have narrow feet...I tried them on once to see if they were comfortable (they are not, IMO) and there was at least 1 inch of space on either side of my foot!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1305173860|2919416 said:

I have narrow feet...I tried them on once to see if they were comfortable (they are not, IMO) and there was at least 1 inch of space on either side of my foot!

Ha, ditto-I'm shocked they actually fit anyone! I would imagine that most people's feet would slip all over the place in them. Plus I really didn't think they were that comfortable when I tried them on.

If people are after comfort, Birkenstocks and Danskos are much less offensive looking. :cheeky:

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock

TGal, we must have the same foot shape. I'm also wide in the front and narrow in the heel. It's very difficult to find shoes that fit!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1305164960|2919279 said:
I think these have gone past trend and into staple, but I have and always will hate with a passion, crocs.
Ugh.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1305174258|2919421 said:
slg47|1305173860|2919416 said:

Ha, ditto-I'm shocked they actually fit anyone! I would imagine that most people's feet would slip all over the place in them. Plus I really didn't think they were that comfortable when I tried them on.

If people are after comfort, Birkenstocks and Danskos are much less offensive looking. :cheeky:

Danskos, very comfortable!!! Not exactly 'pretty' but they do the trick! All my years working in the hospital I wore Danskos. Even while working 16 hour shifts, back to back, day after day, Danskos are extremely comfortable. Most of the nurses I know wear them too. I have never tried a Croc-- never put my foot in one. I wonder if they are as comfy. Maybe when I am older I will change my mind but as of right now I just cant bring myself to try it. They are just SOOOOO non-flattering. (and that's putting it nicely!).

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
If you work any job where you're on your feet for a majority of the day, then yeah, crocs are great shoes for work. And I"ll even forgive you if you are wearing them out in public if you're still wearing whatever clothes it is that you were wearing to work. But with normal clothes, ugh!

I also have wide feet. And to make it even worse, I have short, wide feet. Honestly, one of the only places I can find shoes in a 7 wide is Payless, but I have no problem buying shoes from there, and they are all much prettier and just as comfy to me as crocs!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd like to quote from Kathleen Tessaro's novel Elegance, itself an adaptation of Genevieve Dariaux's 1960s book on style, A Guide to Elegance.

The idea of comfort has invaded every domain; it is on of the categorical imperative of modern life. We can no longer bear the thought of the slightest restriction, physical or moral, and many of the details which were considered to be a mark of elegance some years ago are condemned today for reasons of comfort. Down with stiff collars, starched shirts, cumbersome hats, and heavy chignons! Practically the only die-hards to resist are women's shoes.

However, if women continue to seek comfort above all twenty-four hours a day, twelve months a year, they may eventually find that they have allowed themselves to become slaves to the crepe-rubber sole, nylon from head to toe, pre-digested meals, organized travel, functional uniformity, and general stultification. When comfort becomes and end in itself, if is the Public Enemy Number One of elegance.
(p. 41)

Can I get an amen? If seems like every second thing in this thread falls into this category (with the notable exceptions of the harem pants, the toe-less boots, and possibly, though not definitively, the contemporary aversion to pants - all of which I think of as the fashion industry's little jokes on the general population) .

Look, don't get me wrong, I appreciate being able to move freely, run if I need to, and dress for the weather without feeling half-naked if I leave my slip and girdle at home. THAT SAID. I am as interested in being a member of society as I am in my own comfort, and that means NO Uggs, and NO sweatpants/pajamas in lieu of actual clothing ... and that's just for starters. This goes for men as well as women, btw, though I think we tend to focus on women's clothes more, both because of the demographics of PS and because we generally pay more attention to women's clothing. Damnit, I want the suit back! I miss vests, which, in terms of sex appeal, are basically corsets for men. And I miss hats, for both genders.

In short, I am 80-something years old, in my head, and I just wish we could go back to having standards. That is all.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Circe- going by that line of thought, i think people need to start taking better care of their health as well. When one's healthy, one looks better in clothes. And i know it's not PC and i'll have stones thrown my way, but it pains me to look at people who are spilling out of their clothes while scarfing down burgers and chili cheese fries. Maybe when people start taking care of their bodies, they'll care to dress it better.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amen!

Oh, how I love that excerpt you posted, Circe.

I wish we still wore hats, and when I say hats I mean HATS. The kind that are created by a milliner and kept in boxes.

A student showed to up today to our end-of-semester conference in plush slippers--they didn't even have a sole!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ForteKitty|1305236180|2920029 said:
Circe- going by that line of thought, i think people need to start taking better care of their health as well. When one's healthy, one looks better in clothes. And i know it's not PC and i'll have stones thrown my way, but it pains me to look at people who are spilling out of their clothes while scarfing down burgers and chili cheese fries. Maybe when people start taking care of their bodies, they'll care to dress it better.

Oh, I disagree! For one thing, I think it works the other way around: I genuinely think that when people start with the little things, the big things follow. It's much easier to start dressing well, even with one outfit, than it is to lose 10, 20, 50 lbs. I'm also a big believer in health at any size: I don't think being fat is a signifier of poor diet or immorality. Sometimes it's genetics, sometimes it's behavior that isn't unhealthy (a lot of larger people are much more fit than their skinny-minnie counterparts) ... you just never know. That said, I agree ... everybody needs to wear clothing that fits properly (yes, fit-girl-whose-butt-I-saw-way-too-much-of today, I mean you), and, frankly, chili cheese fries are naaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty and we will all be better off if they are banned.

Haven said:
Amen!

Oh, how I love that excerpt you posted, Circe.

I wish we still wore hats, and when I say hats I mean HATS. The kind that are created by a milliner and kept in boxes.

A student showed to up today to our end-of-semester conference in plush slippers--they didn't even have a sole!

I saw a lady wearing one of those today, and complimented her on it! That sort of thing needs to be encouraged.

Re: the student ... really? Really? Oh, that is just so sad ....

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that quote, Circe-I couldn't agree more! (Although hats do look kind of silly on me.)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I speak the truth.

He also had dirty fingernails. I found both to be equally offensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results