shape
carat
color
clarity

WF ring arrived but the prongs aren't what I expected...

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
Hello @cakeeatingcat ,
I have now had a chance to investigate and your speculation above is correct. You did indicate during the design process that you wanted claw prongs. That info was not specified on the work order, as it should have been. Therefore, despite having a multi-stage QC process, the error was not caught on our end. My sincere apologies for our oversight.

We will be sending you an insured post-paid fedex label with instructions on how to send the ring back to us. It usually takes approximately 2 days transit each way. We will give it priority in the shop so as not to add to the delay. You should not have any additional duties or taxes to worry about. Those issues will be dealt with on our side.

Regarding the sending of photos prior to shipment, this is our default process. However, the photos usually precede the shipment by only a few hours at most as the photo step is the last before the shipping step. In some cases when our photography department gets backed up, is short staffed, or over a holiday, photos are delayed and not sent until sometime after shipping. Unless a customer specifically requests photos for approval prior to shipment, and are comfortable with a possible shipping delay as a result, we err on the side of getting the order out to the customer on the day it is scheduled to ship.

Again, I apologize for your disappointment and inconvenience. This is an easy refinement to make to you ring and it is our desire to get it just they way you want it, and as promptly as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I have been in communication with Vera who is helping with the return process, and I have been very happy with the service thus far. I'm now really excited to see my revised ring and can't wait to post it in SMTB when I get it back! :twirl:

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion, he should show you the ring and discuss the shape of it (whether it is prongs or whatever) just to make 100% you are happy with it. Then, he can take it back and give it to you when he intends to propose. But these kind of things are way too expensive to settle on or to surprise with. They need a collaborative approach. I designed my ring and picked my diamond (CBI) because with the money we were spending, there is no way I would leave all this just up to my husband. He was (and still is) way too confused about any of these things. He loves to look at the ring, though.

I took your advice and looked at the ring. I am so glad I did because there were additional details that I specified that were missed.

I ended up calling Liza to go over all the details again because it clearly looked like none of the notes were given to the goldsmith. She assured me that all my concerns would be addressed and they would continue to fix it until I was happy with the ring.

I’m just glad the ring wasn’t sent out to us before seeing the photos. We asked to see photos before the ring was sent out to avoid similar issues other people have had. Especially since we are from Canada as well.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took your advice and looked at the ring. I am so glad I did because there were additional details that I specified that were missed.

I ended up calling Liza to go over all the details again because it clearly looked like none of the notes were given to the goldsmith. She assured me that all my concerns would be addressed and they would continue to fix it until I was happy with the ring.

I’m just glad the ring wasn’t sent out to us before seeing the photos. We asked to see photos before the ring was sent out to avoid similar issues other people have had. Especially since we are from Canada as well.

Do you want to share the photos with us or do you want to wait until you are engaged? I am sure it will be beautiful.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Do you want to share the photos with us or do you want to wait until you are engaged? I am sure it will be beautiful.

Since I decided to look at the ring, I will just post it once I receive it :)

I was just worried that my boyfriend wouldn’t be able to spot out issues with it. I feel a sense of relief now though.

If anyone is going through the same thing... I agree you should definitely look at the ring! I would have sent the ring back for fixing if I didn’t decide to look at the ring.

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
I received my revised ring photos!

What do you all think? I definitely like that they're no longer rounded. They are a bit chubby but it seems to be a WF style thing?

Custom20086-Diamond-E-Ring-top_ClawProngs.jpg

Custom20086-Diamond-E-Ring-top_TTR.jpg

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I requested as thin as possible claw prongs on my ER. I love the outcome since I am not a big fan of a lot of metal showing around the stone. I will say, in photos my prongs look far thicker than they do in person. So it could be just the photo?

bps413

Shiny_Rock
I think those prongs are *perfect*! I don't think they're chubby; they're rounded, but not chubby.

Agree! I really like the look of these prongs. I’ve seen other posts from WF customers who requested claw prongs, some of which I have to admit I haven’t loved. I would be very pleased with their work on this one!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, those are the perfect prongs. If they are too skinny and sharp, things will catch on them. These are pretty and the stone is being held securely. They will look much smaller in real life, of course!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look good, but still not ‘claw’ per se. I am convinced because of the basket style they have to be a bit sturdier/thicker than you might prefer perhaps. Beautiful ring!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FWIW here is DW's inspiration photo for what small prongs should look like. The prongs only extend about 2/3 of the way from the girdle to the ends of the star facets.

Insp 3 small prongs 2.jpeg

I must admit I don't know if these prongs would be considered of sufficient size to hold the diamond securely. It may also be that as the diamond gets smaller the prongs just have to increase in relative size for mechanical reasons.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I received my revised ring photos!

What do you all think? I definitely like that they're no longer rounded. They are a bit chubby but it seems to be a WF style thing?

Custom20086-Diamond-E-Ring-top_ClawProngs.jpg

Custom20086-Diamond-E-Ring-top_TTR.jpg

I still find them a bit chunky for my taste. They are, however, more pointy than the first attempt.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I think the rendition a claw prong looks good. Not sure if they can make it less chubby.

But, if you feel that it is still chubbier than you want, you can only ask them to skinny them up at the base of the prong for you/ where it is sitting at the girdle? The 11, 5 and 7 o’clock position of the prongs could be the ones to change to make it look better?
Note I drew on the 1 o’clock prong, as it was easiest to draw in there.
Sorry for the bad drawing. Fat fingers in the iPhone edits.

Maybe this version of the claw prong could be what WF can only do?

I do not see your inspirational pic...

But a HUGE improvement on the prongs!!!
A11723C8-41BF-4047-BF62-03693675CB2F.jpeg

Last edited:

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think the slight chunkiness is the WF style of claw prongs, as I reviewed their custom work gallery out of curiousity and most of their claw prongs look similar (though often appear smaller whilst holding larger stone compared to my 0.9ct!).

For anyone who's curious, here's a photo I took from a distance (before I sent it back) and, like @diamondsR4eVR, @diamondseeker2006, and @BlingShopper said, they are definitely magnified in the closeup shots and not very noticeable from afar. Still, I am glad to have had the changes made so it's "mind-clean"!
Screenshot_20201128-182254_Photos.jpg

Now I can't wait to get it back! My partner has been asking for updates (very out of character for him) so I suspect a proposal is coming soon...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think the slight chunkiness is the WF style of claw prongs, as I reviewed their custom work gallery out of curiousity and most of their claw prongs look similar (though often appear smaller whilst holding larger stone compared to my 0.9ct!).

For anyone who's curious, here's a photo I took from a distance (before I sent it back) and, like @diamondsR4eVR, @diamondseeker2006, and @BlingShopper said, they are definitely magnified in the closeup shots and not very noticeable from afar. Still, I am glad to have had the changes made so it's "mind-clean"!
Screenshot_20201128-182254_Photos.jpg

Now I can't wait to get it back! My partner has been asking for updates (very out of character for him) so I suspect a proposal is coming soon...

It is absolutely perfect!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the modified prongs look great! If you are unsure, you can request WF to take a handshot photo for you to get a better idea how they look not magnified. Prongs tend to look way smaller IRL.

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the kind unexpected comments about my hands! It means a lot to me because I've been a chronic nail biter all my life and finally managed to kick the habit in the last few months (anticipating an engagement). In fact, the photo shows the first professional manicure I've ever had done on my natural nails!

Pricescope's tagline should be: come for diamond advice, leave feeling good about yourself :lol:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the kind unexpected comments about my hands! It means a lot to me because I've been a chronic nail biter all my life and finally managed to kick the habit in the last few months (anticipating an engagement). In fact, the photo shows the first professional manicure I've ever had done on my natural nails!

Pricescope's tagline should be: come for diamond advice, leave feeling good about yourself :lol:

The setting is just gorgeous, the reworked prongs will be perfect! I agree about this supportive community—the members are great!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Hugely improved, so lovely on your gorgeous hand, and what great customer service. It's impossible to prevent mistakes from happening, so the most important part with a vendor or individual is how they respond to fix mistakes. This was a wonderful story!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@cakeeatingcat love the “on-the-hand before” shot.

it gives great perspective of the prongs and what it does look like in real life. And now, you have amended it to get it mind clean... woohoo!

can’t wait to see it when you get it back from WF!

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
So glad it all worked out in the end! Congrats on the beautiful ring!!! Your hand is beautiful too!

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
We picked up the ring today and I LOVE IT!

The prongs weren't the first thing I noticed this time when I opened the box (which was what I was hoping for). They look a bit longer but thinner than in the revision photo that WF sent. Now I can stare at it without thinking about the prongs! As an added bonus I didn't even have to do anything with customs or Fedex this time when it came across the border in to Canada!

I'll do a SMTB post after the proposal, but for now, here's a comparison shot as well as a fun, festive picture of my ring with my Christmas macarons:

prongchange.jpg
Yes I am wearing the same pants, but I swear I did do laundry in the time between these two comparison shots...

reindeerring.png
As bright as Rudolf's nose is, it is no match for the brilliance in my WF ACA! :lol:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Offering good customer service is one thing. Offering free international shipping back and forth is another. Lastly, making the re-entry and custom clearance flawless is remarkable.

All this during covid.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results