shape
carat
color
clarity

We've Bought an Historical Old Vicarage!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, and to piggy back on chew/toys... Depends on whether she becomes a power chewer, but I spent thousands and years of trial and error to find what worked for us.
Mine were both power chewers. Large branch/small tree, you didn't need that chair or those shoes, did you? Power chewers. Destroyed every other supposed tough dog toy. Would eat the damned door frames as puppies.
We would always have shed antlers- you can get them from a pet store/Amazon/Ebay We actually have a local man who makes lovely lights etc. out of large antler sheds and he would cut me bits from the leftovers! Last forever.

image_2023-08-28_172643323.png
Himalayan hard Yak cheese chews. You can get them in many sizes. I have to get the extra monster mega huge ones because they would chew through any others way too quickly. We've had good luck with Snow Hill brand. She has to be watched with these as they can splinter. If they do break- the good news is, you can microwave the bits for 45 secs. into puffy cheese snacks(it stinks though, when you do it, be ready)! Also, love Pork Chomps-pressed bones last longest, but the ribs are good too(pig skin).
NO rawhide. Ever.
image_2023-08-28_173328278.png image_2023-08-28_174834498.png
Kong makes great chew toys and you can shove biscuit types treats in them that you can buy in bulk at the pet store. They have puppy density/size and classic size. Virgil kept the same one once he moved to big boy size- his entire life. He loved it. I still have it.
image_2023-08-28_173835891.png
Rope tugs, you'll rope tugs made of cotton.
image_2023-08-28_174242625.png
And a big basket to put them in. You can teach her to get the ones she wants- and also to 'help' clean up. Not that that will last, get used to random chew toy trails through rooms.
Start with the tug, Kong puppy and pork chomp since she's tiny in baby sizes. She'll move up to the big girl ones, soon enough.

We already have an awful lot of toys, including the ropes & ones you can put little treats inside to make her work at it. They all live in a big whicker basket in the kitchen & not only does she know where they are when she wants them, she also finds the basket quite tasty, as it no longer has the corners :lol-2:

Will look on Amazon for the antler ends - I think she would REALLY like those!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We already have an awful lot of toys, including the ropes & ones you can put little treats inside to make her work at it. They all live in a big whicker basket in the kitchen & not only does she know where they are when she wants them, she also finds the basket quite tasty, as it no longer has the corners :lol-2:

Will look on Amazon for the antler ends - I think she would REALLY like those!

My old neighbours black lab chewed her wooden deck to pieces.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

SOOOOO what's going on? How is the pooch? Had a lovely bottle of Taittinger for our anniversary on Tuesday!

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All getting petty quiet here, at last! The balcony is complete & the room is decorated now with furniture arriving in dribs & drabs. The garden still has some bits to finish, such as the patio flagstones where the scaffold towers were, but they all came down on Friday after 9 long months, so we can see the full beauty of the house again :kiss2:

The stonemasons have been here today completing the re-building of original sandstone low walls & edging to the driveway & paths, which look amazing. The stone was dug out in random patches (weird) over the years to build random rockery areas (also weird). So we have been able to re-use original stone, but it’s a bit of a jigsaw puzzle or the workmen.

The garage opening for the cars are a DISASTER because I can’t get my car in :x2 There is literally only a cm to spare on each side of my wing mirrors & it’s too stressful to risk going in. The Architect stated he builds the openings to the width of a Range Rover Vogue, which he says is the biggest road car we have here. I have a Range Rover Sport & it isn’t happening. The car charger points are in there & my car charges to the bonnet, so needs to go in for the lead to reach. He’s had the structural engineer out to discuss workable solutions (can’t just widen them due to the steel supports over each doorway not having enough brick support left if they do this, plus there is arched brickwork over each opening which will look weird if the bricks are chopped away wider than the arches to the sides) & we are waiting to hear. We have also made it clear that he’ll need to fund the remedial costs via his insurance, as this is his mistake entirely. He knew when he drew the plans that I was getting this car last December.

The pup is growing before our eyes! She is twice a big already in the weeks since we brought her home & she is SUCH a beauty! Potty training isn’t going that well & there are still too many accidents during the day (including on my landing carpet, where she has taken to going for a poo now that she can climb both staircases) so she is living only in the kitchen until this stops. She’s 3 months old now, so this might be her prison cell for another 3 months if she doesn’t hurry up & crack it! I am sick to the back teeth of cleaning up after her, despite her going outside every hour (& always toileting on the garden each time) so I have no idea how long it will take for her to either hold her bowels longer, or be able to indicate that she needs to go??

@ItsMainelyYou The antler chews were a massive win & she loves gnawing on them!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
So sorry about your garage contretemps!

Re potty training - with both our dogs we just never let them loose in the house until they were pretty much trained. So for a year they were always with one of us, or in their crate. If they get a lot of attention and exercise when they're with you, the crate is a good rest for them. Honestly, if they can potty in the house, they will. It makes the house smell right to them! But of course they won't in their own house (the crate). Good thing they're so lovable! Same applies to human children, of course.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
All getting petty quiet here, at last! The balcony is complete & the room is decorated now with furniture arriving in dribs & drabs. The garden still has some bits to finish, such as the patio flagstones where the scaffold towers were, but they all came down on Friday after 9 long months, so we can see the full beauty of the house again :kiss2:

The stonemasons have been here today completing the re-building of original sandstone low walls & edging to the driveway & paths, which look amazing. The stone was dug out in random patches (weird) over the years to build random rockery areas (also weird). So we have been able to re-use original stone, but it’s a bit of a jigsaw puzzle or the workmen.

The garage opening for the cars are a DISASTER because I can’t get my car in :x2 There is literally only a cm to spare on each side of my wing mirrors & it’s too stressful to risk going in. The Architect stated he builds the openings to the width of a Range Rover Vogue, which he says is the biggest road car we have here. I have a Range Rover Sport & it isn’t happening. The car charger points are in there & my car charges to the bonnet, so needs to go in for the lead to reach. He’s had the structural engineer out to discuss workable solutions (can’t just widen them due to the steel supports over each doorway not having enough brick support left if they do this, plus there is arched brickwork over each opening which will look weird if the bricks are chopped away wider than the arches to the sides) & we are waiting to hear. We have also made it clear that he’ll need to fund the remedial costs via his insurance, as this is his mistake entirely. He knew when he drew the plans that I was getting this car last December.

The pup is growing before our eyes! She is twice a big already in the weeks since we brought her home & she is SUCH a beauty! Potty training isn’t going that well & there are still too many accidents during the day (including on my landing carpet, where she has taken to going for a poo now that she can climb both staircases) so she is living only in the kitchen until this stops. She’s 3 months old now, so this might be her prison cell for another 3 months if she doesn’t hurry up & crack it! I am sick to the back teeth of cleaning up after her, despite her going outside every hour (& always toileting on the garden each time) so I have no idea how long it will take for her to either hold her bowels longer, or be able to indicate that she needs to go??

@ItsMainelyYou The antler chews were a massive win & she loves gnawing on them!

First, I'd just high pitch scream in your garden for a whole minute about the garage, I would be pissed out of my gourd. Yes, he will fix it. Oh yes, he willllllllll.

Your baby is a red assed bratkins. You can tell her I said that.
It will get better, I promise, she's just stubborn. It could be awhile.
You will get there.
It's war. You have thumbs. Never surrender.
I'm so happy she likes her chews. Maybe, maybe you should hold one up and look at her and the stairs intensely, you know, just contemplating with narrowed eyes as a universal language kind of thing.
Bonk!:lol:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry about your garage contretemps!

Re potty training - with both our dogs we just never let them loose in the house until they were pretty much trained. So for a year they were always with one of us, or in their crate. If they get a lot of attention and exercise when they're with you, the crate is a good rest for them. Honestly, if they can potty in the house, they will. It makes the house smell right to them! But of course they won't in their own house (the crate). Good thing they're so lovable! Same applies to human children, of course.

We are not crate training her, unfortunately. Not that I think it would matter, as she has taken to eating the cats poo out of her littler tray & peeing at the side of her own food bowls. I think she’s a wrong ‘un :lol-2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, I'd just high pitch scream in your garden for a whole minute about the garage, I would be pissed out of my gourd. Yes, he will fix it. Oh yes, he willllllllll.

Your baby is a red assed bratkins. You can tell her I said that.
It will get better, I promise, she's just stubborn. It could be awhile.
You will get there.
It's war. You have thumbs. Never surrender.
I'm so happy she likes her chews. Maybe, maybe you should hold one up and look at her and the stairs intensely, you know, just contemplating with narrowed eyes as a universal language kind of thing.
Bonk!:lol:

She is definitely a brat. She has just come running into the kitchen with a dead & well rotted rabbits head & attached spine hanging from her mouth. We had to chase her all around the dining table & kitchen island THREE TIMES before she bolted back outside :lol-2:

empliau

Shiny_Rock
She pretty much lives in the kitchen, unless fully supervised. We went across to the pub for dinner last night & she was 2 hours alone, without toilet incidents. Yay!
IMG_1821.jpeg

We are not crate training her, unfortunately. Not that I think it would matter, as she has taken to eating the cats poo out of her littler tray & peeing at the side of her own food bowls. I think she’s a wrong ‘in :lol-2:

Is she peeing by the food or the water? When our girl puppy was about 4 months old, she went through a period of peeing while drinking water. Luckily it was summer and we'd take her outside for her water. The vet said it was not uncommon in girls and would wear off, and it did.

Also our dogs have always found cat poo delicious. Original sin, methinks.

Wow to rabbit head/spine!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
She is definitely a brat. She has just come running into the kitchen with a dead & well rotted rabbits head & attached spine hanging from her mouth. We had to chase her all around the dining table & kitchen island THREE TIMES before she bolted back outside :lol-2:

That little shit. I'm begrudgingly a bit impressed.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

That garage issue is very frustrating--and I don't even live there! Of ALL the difficult things they had to do with your vicarage--and the garage is too small??? OOPS!!

Sorry for all your poo tales. She looks very happy and SO cute tho!

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is she peeing by the food or the water? When our girl puppy was about 4 months old, she went through a period of peeing while drinking water. Luckily it was summer and we'd take her outside for her water. The vet said it was not uncommon in girls and would wear off, and it did.

Also our dogs have always found cat poo delicious. Original sin, methinks.

Wow to rabbit head/spine!

Yes! She pees next to the water bowl! How very bizarre, but well done on the multitasking :lol-2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d seriously consider crate training her @Ally T. Dot came to us at age 2 1/2 and we had her crate trained in a week. It really is worth the effort. I don’t want to scare you, but I do know of someone whose dog died from chewing a rug while they were out and choking. It would also give you peace of mind when you’re out that she’s not up to something naughty (sounds like she’s going to be a character :lol:) I’m afraid the potty training is just a matter of constantly taking her out and being outside until she goes and then heaping on the praise, they soon get the hang of it.

I wish I’d known about crate training when I got my first pup, he systematically went round the house chewing everything he could get his teeth in to when we were out. He even shredded a brand new carpet one time when I’d only left him for 5 minutes.

What a bummer about the garage, one thing I will say about here is that the garages are huge, all those gigantic trucks people drive.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaah. The famous (infamous?) "Chase me! Chase me!" game. :lol: All of our dogs have loved this game! The first dog won at "Chase me!", and our subsequent pooches we were prepared for their antics. They got to "win" sometimes, but 95% of the time, we "won".

The garage? Yeah...that would be a red-line for me. And yuppers, the contractors would be doing the work at no charge, plus being micromanaged while they were at it. :devil:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The original Deeds have arrived back from the framers. As the paper is thick & waxy, it’s not been possible to get the creases out despite 4 weeks of warm flattening. They have skilfully photographed the reverse of the document (the first 2 pages in the frame) as they felt it was important to display the inside pages with the signatures & wax seals.

The land was gifted to the Church in 1886 by the local Lord (his descendants still own the surrounding land & the current Lord is a friend of ours, so he finds this fascinating!) & the Vicarage was completed & finally threw open its doors to the first incumbent in 1904.

Always one to plan ahead, I knew this document would be large & important, so I had a big picture light installed in the main hallway to showcase it when it finally arrived. I love the framers choice of frame (antique bronze to mirror the light fitting) & I think it’s beautiful. It’s 1.2 meters long & all hand written in ink & pencil. It’s fully legible & fascinating. Like why did the land owner have to request the release of his own land from the Bounty of Queen Ann?? And who was she???? Off to research!

IMG_1900.jpeg

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The original Deeds have arrived back from the framers. As the paper is thick & waxy, it’s not been possible to get the creases out despite 4 weeks of warm flattening. They have skilfully photographed the reverse of the document (the first 2 pages in the frame) as they felt it was important to display the inside pages with the signatures & wax seals.

The land was gifted to the Church in 1886 by the local Lord (his descendants still own the surrounding land & the current Lord is a friend of ours, so he finds this fascinating!) & the Vicarage was completed & finally threw open its doors to the first incumbent in 1904.

Always one to plan ahead, I knew this document would be large & important, so I had a big picture light installed in the main hallway to showcase it when it finally arrived. I love the framers choice of frame (antique bronze to mirror the light fitting) & I think it’s beautiful. It’s 1.2 meters long & all hand written in ink & pencil. It’s fully legible & fascinating. Like why did the land owner have to request the release of his own land from the Bounty of Queen Ann?? And who was she???? Off to research!

IMG_1900.jpeg

Wrinkles = history. Vise versa. Stunning.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ally T, I hope they figure out a solution to getting the opening fixed quickly for you. My guess is the company won’t be making this mistake again. What a headache for all involved.

Pen looks like such a happy little love with lots of personality. It took about 4 months for our furbaby to get the hang of potty training. Right after the 4th month it was if something just clicked and she knew. Hopefully it won’t be long before Pen knows she has to go outside.

How cool you have the original deeds And you found the perfect spot to hand them! It looks great on that wall.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

IMG_1900.jpeg

You have approached this whole project with such great care and intention. The house is as lucky to have you as you are to have it!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have approached this whole project with such great care and intention. The house is as lucky to have you as you are to have it!

Thank you, what a lovely thing to say! I do feel very lucky to be the custodian & to have saved her from developers, plus also to be lucky enough to have the money to plough into her.

I weirdly do refer to it as ‘her’ & also talk to her when I’m by myself! When we first completed I told her we were going to be throwing everything at protecting her & giving her a face lift, then on the day we moved in I asked her to be kind to us & look after us. When all the original wooden shingles up by the eves were replaced with tile, I told her she looked beautiful. I am not normally a person who speaks to objects, but this old girl is listening & I think she’s speaking back to me.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, what a lovely thing to say! I do feel very lucky to be the custodian & to have saved her from developers, plus also to be lucky enough to have the money to plough into her.

I weirdly do refer to it as ‘her’ & also talk to her when I’m by myself! When we first completed I told her we were going to be throwing everything at protecting her & giving her a face lift, then on the day we moved in I asked her to be kind to us & look after us. When all the original wooden shingles up by the eves were replaced with tile, I told her she looked beautiful. I am not normally a person who speaks to objects, but this old girl is listening & I think she’s speaking back to me.

Awww. This actually brought tears to my eyes. :kiss2: How beautiful that you and "she" are on such a wavelength. I also talk to inanimate (as far as I know...) things, and I truly think that all life picks up on the grateful/happy vibes that go out from those of us who chatter such happy things...

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The old girl hears you and thinks you're beautiful too.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another quick update, as we finally have the sofa for the girls media room after a 5 month ‘manufacturing delay’ :roll: Excuse the nest of snakes (wiring) in the old hearth. They need to work on their organisational skills!

21167.jpeg

IMG_2162.jpeg

14650.jpeg

IMG_2163.jpeg

The original fire surround was almost 7 feet tall. Do you like the 1950’s log burner?? :lol-2::sick:

Last edited:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Another quick update, as we finally have the sofa for the girls media room after a 5 month ‘manufacturing delay’ :roll: Excuse the nest of snakes (wiring) in the old hearth. They need to work on their organisational skills!

21167.jpeg

IMG_2162.jpeg

14650.jpeg

IMG_2163.jpeg

The original fire surround was almost 7 feet tall. Do you like the 1950’s log burner?? :lol-2::sick:

Lovely room -what lucky girls! I love that window seat with platforms to place plants, the view, the woodwork, the floors. Did you use the fireplace mantle somewhere else (please tell me you did?)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely room -what lucky girls! I love that window seat with platforms to place plants, the view, the woodwork, the floors. Did you use the fireplace mantle somewhere else (please tell me you did?)

Thank you! They are very lucky girls & they really do appreciate what they have here. The window wasn’t used as a seat previously & the wood was pretty rotten & the wall immediately underneath was damp to the bones. The upholsterer who did all the window dressings made a seat pad for the central section from the same fabric as the windows in here. It’s a very well used little perch!

Unfortunately no, we didn’t use this fireplace elsewhere. We did keep the one in the Music Room (though I did decide to strip it & paint it the same colour as the woodwork) but I managed to sell this one to a very happy lady, who is now enjoying it in her very low ceiling’d Edwardian cottage. I believe it looks magnificent as it is almost as tall as the room & she messaged at the time to say she loves it. Her original very similar one was damaged during renovation.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
@RMOO This is what the Music Room fireplace started out like & how it looks now. I sold the top section on & we stripped, painted & re-instated the bottom surround.

14648.jpeg

15008.jpeg

IMG_2170.jpeg

They are just so gorgeous. I'm so happy to hear that you found others that will cherish the beauty in these pieces!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! Everything is so beautiful. And those floors… magnificent!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What happened with the garage?

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What happened with the garage?

cheers--Sharon

Still ongoing. The structural engineer came up with a design to shave half a bricks width from the side of each opening, but because the supporting steel across the front fascia is in 2 pieces & isn’t one very long one, they will have to bolt steel rods to the inner side of the new openings to provide extra support to the steels above. Obviously you will only see these from the inside, but Mr T is NOT happy that they will be there at all given the cost we have already outlayed to build the garage / gym block.

We are just waiting for the builders to get a quote put together for the ‘tweeks’ & then we will roll up our sleeves & prepare to fight the Architect for the costs.

In the meantime, my car lives on the driveway & gets edged in nose first at night (as far as the wing mirrors, as that’s my lot) for the charging cable to be stretched out to meet it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results