shape
carat
color
clarity

We've Bought an Historical Old Vicarage!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal Sharon!

The Diocese have decided to pull out of the current sale with the 'toxic' purchaser & they have formally accepted our revised offer, so we are now the proud owners of a very large, very beautiful, very historical & famous old Vicarage!! :appl:

It is in a state to say the least & has been empty for a while, as the Vicar is now housed in a smaller house in the adjacent village with far less running costs. It needs a LOT of work. It doesn't even have heating & many of the windows are the original leaded ones set into stone mullions - it's freezing! The original stone gateway is no wider than a horse carriage & we can barely get the cars through, so that needs widening. But it turns out that the gate stumps were donated by another historical house in the next village built in 1692, so there is a covenant that the stone stumps MUST remain. They'll have to be carefully reinstated once they've been widened. The electrical board in the loft gave the builder a heart attack due to it's potential danger, so a complete rewire is needed. The kitchen gardens are swamped by brambles, the chicken coops are just a heap of rotten wood & weeds that you can't even wade through. There is a dormer on the top floor in the old servants quarters that is completely leaking & needs a total re-build. There is only one toilet. There are random sinks fitted in all 6 bedrooms that have the pipes tacked up the INSIDE of the walls of the reception rooms below, roughly pushed through holes in the ceilings that look like they've been gnawed by teeth......

BUT......! Underneath all the grotty carpets are the most BEAUTIFUL parquet floors that run throughout every level, completely immaculate & un-scratched. The coving in each room is ornate & stunning. Underneath the grotty kitchen lino flooring are bright red quarry tiles. The stone mullion windows are fairytale & we have already located a heritage window company that can replace the glass with double glazing without smashing the mullions out. There is an antique safe bolted to the floor underneath the stairs that nobody has a key for & seemingly isn't arsed to know what's inside?! It has a large date stone by the front door & was officially opened by the Lady of the Manor on ascension day in 1904, after the original timber Vicarage in another part of the village was burned down in 1898. The large sandstone step at the front door is completely worn away & smoothed into a crescent. It could tell me amazing stories & it will stay firmly in place, as will the iron boot scraper alongside it. There are 2 staircases: the grand staircase & the servants staircase at the other end. My eldest daughter has already told me that I can only use the servants stairs given that, you know, i'm the family servant..... :lol:

We will renovate sympathetically, whilst also going for a modern family home - underfloor heating, smooth walls, ensuite bathrooms in all the bedrooms, an amazing kitchen with a wall of bifold doors that will push right back, to bring the garden inside in the warmer months. A cinema room, a gaming room. And mummy's quiet library room, warm & cosy, with no TV or gadgets, just walls of bookshelves, beautiful sofas & views over the gardens.

Most of the surveys & paperwork have already been completed, so we should have the keys in our sweaty little mitts within 6 weeks. The agent sent me the biggest bouquet of flowers & it made me cry. We are still pinching ourselves & the girls have been on Pintrest designing their en-suites.

My mother in law is visiting from Somerset this weekend for Mother's Day, so the agent is meeting us there on Saturday to provide access whilst we show her & my own mother around. After everything this little team has been through, the roller coaster of building a business from zero to hero, we will damn well enjoy every minute of creating this beautiful forever home. I will take before & after pictures, so that I can update this thread many months from now :kiss2:

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PICTURES, please.
Congratulations on your new home. Your vision for the vicarage sounds fabulous. I hope you share photos of its present state as well as updating as the project goes along. I'm excited for you. Your search has been long and now that you found the perfect place that touches your heart is the best news ever.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PICTURES, please.
Congratulations on your new home. Your vision for the vicarage sounds fabulous. I hope you share photos of its present state as well as updating as the project goes along. I'm excited for you. Your search has been long and now that you found the perfect place that touches your heart is the best news ever.

Thank you, lovely lady! It had our hearts immediately but we were outbid (sealed & final, so no negotiation) & we moved on. So for it to come back to us & to actually now be ours, is the stuff of dreams.

I will take some more pictures on Saturday & post for you in all it's vast & grotty glory. I would LOVE to tell you the historical link, especially as I am told the Americans have a real affection for this particular subject & the Vicar used to arrange visits for tourists, but it would give my location & new home away completely.

But.... Eeek!! What lucky little things we are!

Last edited:

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
This is fab news, can't wait for pictures and to follow along on what we be journey worth every minute.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal Sharon!

The Diocese have decided to pull out of the current sale with the 'toxic' purchaser & they have formally accepted our revised offer, so we are now the proud owners of a very large, very beautiful, very historical & famous old Vicarage!! :appl:

It is in a state to say the least & has been empty for a while, as the Vicar is now housed in a smaller house in the adjacent village with far less running costs. It needs a LOT of work. It doesn't even have heating & many of the windows are the original leaded ones set into stone mullions - it's freezing! The original stone gateway is no wider than a horse carriage & we can barely get the cars through, so that needs widening. But it turns out that the gate stumps were donated by another historical house in the next village built in 1692, so there is a covenant that the stone stumps MUST remain. They'll have to be carefully reinstated once they've been widened. The electrical board in the loft gave the builder a heart attack due to it's potential danger, so a complete rewire is needed. The kitchen gardens are swamped by brambles, the chicken coops are just a heap of rotten wood & weeds that you can't even wade through. There is a dormer on the top floor in the old servants quarters that is completely leaking & needs a total re-build. There is only one toilet. There are random sinks fitted in all 6 bedrooms that have the pipes tacked up the INSIDE of the walls of the reception rooms below, roughly pushed through holes in the ceilings that look like they've been gnawed by teeth......

BUT......! Underneath all the grotty carpets are the most BEAUTIFUL parquet floors that run throughout every level, completely immaculate & un-scratched. The coving in each room is ornate & stunning. Underneath the grotty kitchen lino flooring are bright red quarry tiles. The stone mullion windows are fairytale & we have already located a heritage window company that can replace the glass with double glazing without smashing the mullions out. There is an antique safe bolted to the floor underneath the stairs that nobody has a key for & seemingly isn't arsed to know what's inside?! It has a large date stone by the front door & was officially opened by the Lady of the Manor on ascension day in 1904, after the original timber Vicarage in another part of the village was burned down in 1898. The large sandstone step at the front door is completely worn away & smoothed into a crescent. It could tell me amazing stories & it will stay firmly in place, as will the iron boot scraper alongside it. There are 2 staircases: the grand staircase & the servants staircase at the other end. My eldest daughter has already told me that I can only use the servants stairs given that, you know, i'm the family servant..... :lol:

We will renovate sympathetically, whilst also going for a modern family home - underfloor heating, smooth walls, ensuite bathrooms in all the bedrooms, an amazing kitchen with a wall of bifold doors that will push right back, to bring the garden inside in the warmer months. A cinema room, a gaming room. And mummy's quiet library room, warm & cosy, with no TV or gadgets, just walls of bookshelves, beautiful sofas & views over the gardens.

Most of the surveys & paperwork have already been completed, so we should have the keys in our sweaty little mitts within 6 weeks. The agent sent me the biggest bouquet of flowers & it made me cry. We are still pinching ourselves & the girls have been on Pintrest designing their en-suites.

My mother in law is visiting from Somerset this weekend for Mother's Day, so the agent is meeting us there on Saturday to provide access whilst we show her & my own mother around. After everything this little team has been through, the roller coaster of building a business from zero to hero, we will damn well enjoy every minute of creating this beautiful forever home. I will take before & after pictures, so that I can update this thread many months from now :kiss2:

How exciting! I hope you have somewhere to live while you renovate the old vicarage!

DK :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh my! This sounds like the stuff fairytales are made of! Totally understand why you can’t share the link, but wow…what I wouldn’t give to see it!! Please take tons of photos so we can live vicariously through you!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would LOVE to tell you the historical link, especially as I am told the Americans have a real affection for this particular subject & the Vicar used to arrange visits for tourists, but it would give my location & new home away completely.

I totally understand. I am an avid fan of Escape to the Country and enjoy seeing the English countryside, old towns, chocolate box cottages, converted barns, etc. I am always awed that people can buy loved and well-cared for houses that have stood the test of time.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! I can’t wait to watch your new journey. I’m sure you are going to make it amazing

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like the most magical home and garden. May you enjoy a lifetime of happiness and love in your wonderful new home.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sooo excited and hope we can share this journey! Congratulations!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it sounds so amazing and what an exciting project! I will be following this thread with much interest

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Very much looking forward to your future posts and photos of *your* Old Vicarage!!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I'm so thrilled for you, @Ally T ! Your description sounds marvellous, both in its current state and your vision for a modern "Old Vicarage". Wonderful! And yes, it's very sensible to keep the location undisclosed. Congratulations on a dream come true!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
It was meant to be. So excited for you!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will i see this on tv with Kevin McCloud or George Clarke ?

This all sounds soooooo excitting ?
Best of luck with everything !

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news @Ally T !!!! This sounds like a dream come true. I LOVE historical homes and am thrilled for team T to have found your forever heart home.
Would love pictures as well !

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations @Ally T thats just wonderful news!!!
I can’t wait to see photos of your new home, its the best feeling in the world to find your own private sanctuary. I hope you create an abundance of happy joyous memories in the years to come in your new home :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to all of you for your kind words! This is such an exciting new chapter!

We have lived in this lovely house for 16 years & it's all we have ever known as a family - Mr T & I bought it a few months after we got together. The community is small & close - everyone are friends & we are all there for one another. The neighbour that feeds our cats whenever we are away has already committed to doing it when we move, as the new place is literally a mile down a quiet lane & is the first property as you reach the next village.

I will DEFINITELY be sharing pictures of the progress, so there will be heaps of before & afters for you to see :kiss2:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to all of you for your kind words! This is such an exciting new chapter!

We have lived in this lovely house for 16 years & it's all we have ever known as a family - Mr T & I bought it a few months after we got together. The community is small & close - everyone are friends & we are all there for one another. The neighbour that feeds our cats whenever we are away has already committed to doing it when we move, as the new place is literally a mile down a quiet lane & is the first property as you reach the next village.

I will DEFINITELY be sharing pictures of the progress, so there will be heaps of before & afters for you to see :kiss2:

This is perfect! It's wonderful to hear there are communities like this. What a wonderful way to live and especially to grow up!!! ❤️❤️

There will be challenges along the way, but guys are a strong team and it will make you appreciate this place even more.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds so exciting!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am over the moon happy for you that it finally came to fruition. It was meant to be @Ally T my sweet friend. Wishing you happiness, health and home sweet home vibes all the days to come. XOXO.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!!!!!!! I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds like such a dream project! The possibilities are endless! I wish you the very best of luck and cannot wait to see pics!!!!!!!!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What exciting news!!! Totally meant-to-be! It sounds divine and like it is going to be such an incredible adventure and joy to establish yourselves in! I cannot wait to see pictures, and hope you have the time of your lives making it your own!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How thrilling! I can't wait to see your photos!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ally T -

You are living my real estate dream. If I didn't love you so much, I'd kind of hate you. As it is, I'm just so incredibly happy for you.

Enjoy, dear girl - YOU'VE EARNED IT!

ETA. And if the weekend's photo posts don't hit double digits, you're not making an effort! We need loooots of photos! If you're afraid of going right over the top - email, pls!!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Happy for you all! Please, please, please, please post lots of pictures, before, during and after, the entire length of this project. Some of us only get to live a dream on this scale through others!

Is there a TV show there called "This Old Vicarage?"

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congrats-this sounds amazing! Please post as many non-identifying pics as possible!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! I love to watch old chateau renovations, etc. on YouTube! I am currently in love with the new Masterpiece Theatre production of All Creatures Great and Small, and I have said several times I'd love to live in the English countryside! Please do give us update posts with pictures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results