shape
carat
color
clarity

We've Bought an Historical Old Vicarage!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stop!! :lol-2: I'm already hoping there are no spirits lurking in the house!! o_O

That’s what I was thinking! I also have a house built in 1904..I was afraid after we moved in that I would see something during the night..but nothing so far! :lol: We do have a very creepy dirt floor basement. I always kid that we have bodies buried down there. I don’t go down there...ever.:oops2:
I can’t wait to watch your progress! I’m so excited to watch the transformation!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

This was meant to be--and I could not be HAPPIER for you and your family. I'd cry (happy), but my tears are all gone ATM. I'll post more when I am "able".

FWIW, I think you'll need to keep your original home, CUZ when your new home is finished....it will be sought after by every movie studio in the world!!!!!

xoxo Sharon :wavey: :kiss2: :wavey: :kiss2: :appl:

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ah, even if it was, you work out an understanding and you're fine.
That's what we did :eek-2: :lol:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Many congratulations @Ally T

On a more mundane note; you will naturally be in a great hurry to get your builders moving, but my experience is that every day spent with your architect nailing down every detail before the construction contract is awarded will save you at least a week in construction time and a small fortune in change order costs!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is INCREDBILE!! I am super happy for you, @Ally T . Can't wait to see more pics. Will you be able to post them as the work progresses?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

This was meant to be--and I could not be HAPPIER for you and your family. I'd cry (happy), but my tears are all gone ATM. I'll post more when I am "able".

FWIW, I think you'll need to keep your original home, CUZ when your new home is finished....it will be sought after by every movie studio in the world!!!!!

xoxo Sharon :wavey: :kiss2: :wavey: :kiss2: :appl:

This sounds like you are poorly & that's nort great news! Healing vibes & please write when you can x

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many congratulations @Ally T

On a more mundane note; you will naturally be in a great hurry to get your builders moving, but my experience is that every day spent with your architect nailing down every detail before the construction contract is awarded will save you at least a week in construction time and a small fortune in change order costs!

Thanks for the super sound advice. We have found our architect & are being given access for a few hours on Saturday (good job it's empty!) so that he can take accurate measurements & we can discuss all changes required, such as the kitchen diner extension, gym & garage block. Plus more practicalities such as is it possible to fit underfloor heating with an original parquet floor, or do we have to replace it with engineered parquet that looks identical, sell off the original & hope it looks the same, and can we shave some of the chimney breasts out in the rooms where the fireplaces will be removed, or do they need removing completely & new steels putting in. It's not practical or efficient to have great hunking fireplaces in EVERY SINGLE ROOM for a modern family who need to keep this place warm in the winter. We have lots of questions & have a comprehensive list going into Saturdays meeting.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your dream home, @Ally T !! Such a thrilling adventure for you and your family❤️❤️…can’t wait to see pics of before and after:kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the super sound advice. We have found our architect & are being given access for a few hours on Saturday (good job it's empty!) so that he can take accurate measurements & we can discuss all changes required, such as the kitchen diner extension, gym & garage block. Plus more practicalities such as is it possible to fit underfloor heating with an original parquet floor, or do we have to replace it with engineered parquet that looks identical, sell off the original & hope it looks the same, and can we shave some of the chimney breasts out in the rooms where the fireplaces will be removed, or do they need removing completely & new steels putting in. It's not practical or efficient to have great hunking fireplaces in EVERY SINGLE ROOM for a modern family who need to keep this place warm in the winter. We have lots of questions & have a comprehensive list going into Saturdays meeting.

Ohhhh a fireplace in every room is my idea of a dream come true :love: :lol: Could they be cordoned off without being removed entirely? How many chimneys does this place have!? Are you going to need to do roof work too?

Ally, can Yssie from America make a request? Can you pretty please turn one of those fireplaces into a wood-fired pizza oven? Then you’ll have my absolute DREAM home and I’ll invite myself over for a few months and feed you as much NY style thin crust pizza as you can eat :lol:

(Yssie from America may be projecting some of her own kitchen reno angst onto this thread.)

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stop!! :lol-2: I'm already hoping there are no spirits lurking in the house!! o_O

I already though about that
I was thinking its such a big house
For a vicor's family
The church would move him on before he got old and a new vicor and his family would move in
(I mean i know nothings about the workings of the church of England but this put my mind at rest)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh a fireplace in every room is my idea of a dream come true :love: :lol: Could they be cordoned off without being removed entirely? How many chimneys does this place have!? Are you going to need to do roof work too?

Ally, can Yssie from America make a request? Can you pretty please turn one of those fireplaces into a wood-fired pizza oven? Then you’ll have my absolute DREAM home and I’ll invite myself over for a few months and feed you as much NY style thin crust pizza as you can eat :lol:

(Yssie from America may be projecting some of her own kitchen reno angst onto this thread.)

That's a great idea
My friend in South Africa had a cape dutch house older than my country
The fireplace in the dinning room was turned into an indoor bri (bbq) and it got used all the time

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already though about that
I was thinking its such a big house
For a vicor's family
The church would move him on before he got old and a new vicor and his family would move in
(I mean i know nothings about the workings of the church of England but this put my mind at rest)

I am also thinking the same. I am assuming the house has been filled with love, laughter & prayer during it's lifetime, and it's certainly bathed in gorgeous light. It feels happy & warm :kiss2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK, so a quick count up & we have 9 huge fireplaces (kitchen one is already removed & bricked up) with 3 of those ginormous & ornate chimney stacks that I included a picture of further up. Each chimney stack has many pots on the top!

We are not sure about roof work yet, though there will be a degree of something as there are 2 tiny holes of daylight visible from the inside of the attic, but right down at the soffets where the roof meets the floor line below. The Coveyancer is there on Friday to do a full assessment & structural survey, so we'll know more then.

Regarding the pizza oven idea, I like it! But sadly there is no longer the kitchen hearth - it was properly removed & is gone, to make a more 'modern' kitchen in the 1960's. But we will be building an outdoor oven area under a permanent structure, which will include BBQ & an amazing pizza oven. So Yssie from the US, get your pizza muscles flexed & ready for next summer!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also thinking the same. I am assuming the house has been filled with love, laughter & prayer during it's lifetime, and it's certainly bathed in gorgeous light. It feels happy & warm :kiss2:
I like to think a house has a personality

Our house is literly a 1950s no frills sq box built by the state for rental accommodation, it has zero comparison to yours
but i also think how it was filled with happy working familie especially when it was new

But judging by the (baddly repaired).holes in all the bedroom walls and all the doors i think she is happy having a bit of piece and quiet being with us

Our neighbourhood (the nicer streets) have late Victorian and Edwardian homes
When im out walking i want to ask them about the Spanish flu and how their families managed

But your house has 200 years of stories
I can't comprehend anything that isnt a tree being that old
Its like living in history

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to think a house has a personality

Our house is literly a 1950s no frills sq box built by the state for rental accommodation, it has zero comparison to yours
but i also think how it was filled with happy working familie especially when it was new

But judging by the (baddly repaired).holes in all the bedroom walls and all the doors i think she is happy having a bit of piece and quiet being with us

Our neighbourhood (the nicer streets) have late Victorian and Edwardian homes
When im out walking i want to ask them about the Spanish flu and how their families managed

But your house has 200 years of stories
I can't comprehend anything that isnt a tree being that old
Its like living in history

If only the walls could talk, eh??

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is exactly what I was going to say. Only love and good things happened in your house. I think it will like living in a warm hug..:kiss2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Dear lady: this is a monumental project: how do you decide on an Architect? Tell me all that is fit to print!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Dear lady: this is a monumental project: how do you decide on an Architect? Tell me all that is fit to print!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

So we have had meetings with 3 architects, all of which have outstanding reputations & 5 star only feedback. One was a no because we found him quite prickly & clinical. He was so excited by the project & didn't stop talking - it felt a bit one way & he didn't appear to be listening to us.

The second was a lovely woman whom really DID listen to what we wanted. She was also excited about the project & was enthusiastic, though has only really worked on modern & new properties to date. She is our 2nd choice, waiting in the wings.

The chap we are meeting there on Saturday is actually a dad we know from school & have known for 7 years now. Again, an impeccable reputation within his field, really listened to our vision & made notes of what we need from our new home, but also probed & made fabulous suggestions that hadn't even crossed our minds. He has worked on other historical properties within the very same village & has a good handle on sympathetic restoration whilst modernising. He is also a really easy going, funny chap that made the whole thing really enjoyable rather than feel like a burden.

So we are meeting him at the house on Saturday morning & we will take things form there. We will have to pay for initial drawings, but if he's not the Architect for us, then we will arrange access for the lovely lady to allow her the same opportunity. Our gut feeling is that he's the man fornthe job, though. He's got such a stellar reputation & he's really easy to be around, so watch this space.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Ally T My husband and I are watching a tv series set in the 50’s called Grantchester. One of the characters is a vicar. I think about you ever time we watch it. They only show the front of the vicarage, the kitchen and living room. The house isn’t as grand as yours though..but very nice..

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ally T My husband and I are watching a tv series set in the 50’s called Grantchester. One of the characters is a vicar. I think about you ever time we watch it. They only show the front of the vicarage, the kitchen and living room. The house isn’t as grand as yours though..but very nice..

I know that program! If only all Vicars were that dishy..... :lol-2:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
This house is fantastic! Congratulations.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Architect "fit" is SO important. And they'll know the proper trades for specific tasks and Engineering. For sure, I'll be watching this space!!! VERY EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations @Ally T, so glad your search is over.

Just remember, no matter how long you think it’ll take, it’ll be a lot longer, and no matter what your budget, you’ll go over it :lol: But when it’s all done, you’ll have your dream home.

A good project manager is essential to keep things on track and worth every penny. Good luck, and can’t wait to see how it all takes shape.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seriously check this thread first thing over my lunch break every day :appl: What are your plans for the seven bedrooms, will you be keeping all? How many bathrooms do you have right now - are you guys happy with the number of bathrooms?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seriously check this thread first thing over my lunch break every day :appl: What are your plans for the seven bedrooms, will you be keeping all? How many bathrooms do you have right now - are you guys happy with the number of bathrooms?

You're so funny! :lol-2:

OK, so on the main upstairs floor there are currently 6 bedrooms, one massive bathroom with no toilet (!), a seperate room across the other side of the large staircase with a lonely solitary toilet in (no sink), plus a shower room. The main staircase runs up the centre of the front of the house, with the landings sweeping left to right. Immediately to the left of the stairs as you come up, on the same side, is the large & sparse family bathroom. Adjacent to the right is the solitary toilet.

We are up the stairs & have turned left, past the bathroom. We come to:
Bedroom 1. This will become the main guest room. There isn't enough space to fit an ensuite due to the beautiful green Art Deco fireplace which I pictured, as that will remain & leaves the rest of the room too awkward due to dual aspect stone mullioned windows.

Bedroom 2. This is the smallest room at 11 feet square. This will become an ensuite bathroom for the master bedroom.

Bedroom 3. This will be the master. It has dual aspect stone mullioned windows & an Art Deco fireplace identical to the green one, only this is burgundy. This will come out, as otherwise getting a large bed & wardrobe storage in due to the large windows on the other 2 walls, will be extremely problematic.

Bedroom 4. This is immediately in front of you as you arrive upstairs. This will be our youngest daughters room. It is large enough at 20 feet x 18 feet to have a lovely ensuite fitted.

Next is the shower room, which is big & has a sink & toilet in there too. This will be knocked into an ensuite for:

Bedroom 5. This will be our eldest daughters room & again has dual aspect windows. Sadly these were replaced with modern double glazing at some point & the mullions were smashed out. We will look into having new mullions put back in.

Bedroom 6. This will be the second guest room & again no ensuite, as it's not large enough.

From here is the servants staircase that starts in the kitchen & goes all the way up to the attic rooms.

Next to this, which separates the 2 staircases, is the lonely toilet room without a sink. This will become a linen store room. Then we are back to the main stairs.

On the top floor there are 3 rooms:
The main attic, which will stay as it is, fully boarded, for storage.

Bedroom 7. This has a large dormer which needs completely replacing as it's rotten. This will become Mr T's office & the dormer window will be replaced by doors & a glass balcony, so that he can look out over the gardens & fields from his desk, rather than having to stand up to peer out of the currently very high windows. Obviously servants were only allowed windows for daylight purposes & not for pleasure!

Small attic room will remain for storage. This is a dark room with only a tiny window pane & is where we found the soldiers trunk pushed into a corner.

Now, i hope I haven't passed too much of your lunch break, but you did ask :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results