shape
carat
color
clarity

We've Bought an Historical Old Vicarage!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you. And you’re welcome! You guys have been such a sounding board on everything & I have loved the input.

Speaking of the gardens maturing, I snapped this picture last week walking the pup in the fields behind. It was the first time I’d been able to see the house from there because the big trees along the edge have lost their leaves.

IMG_2433.jpeg

So beautiful
like a Christmas card
is this frost or snow ?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh i have a question about the gates
i worked on the timber desk at Bunings for 7 or 8 years and Gary is a retired builder but we have never come accross oak outdoors before, we know nothing of oak (but i read recently that oaks grow so quick here they have a life expectancy of only 100 years or so
ive never even seen it (oak timber) in a csatalogue, i guess if there is any anywhere they save it for furniture or small decorative items
i remember my grandma's dinning table was oak
anyway
does the oak have to be treated to be used outside ?

Yes - gets treated with something called Osmos Oil. It’s clear, but protects it from weather & brings out the lustre. The front door is oak & has stood for 120 years & the kitchen trusses are also oak, with the end glazed one exposed to the weather. We use a lot of oak for building in the UK & our outdoor kitchen, which gets built in May, is also going to be oak timber.

dji_fly_20231109_112322_136_1699529161245_photo_optimized.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes - gets treated with something called Osmos Oil. It’s clear, but protects it from weather & brings out the lustre. The front door is oak & has stood for 120 years & the kitchen trusses are also oak, with the end glazed one exposed to the weather. We use a lot of oak for building in the UK & our outdoor kitchen, which gets built in May, is also going to be oak timber.

dji_fly_20231109_112322_136_1699529161245_photo_optimized.jpeg

i was thinking more along the lines of chromated copper arsenate (CCA)
osmos oil sounds so benign :lol:
i did google it as ive never heard of it
it does appare to be sold here but only a few stockists and primarly for bench tops
maybe your timber is just a lot harder than ours
trees grow so quick here
=)2

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. And you’re welcome! You guys have been such a sounding board on everything & I have loved the input.

Speaking of the gardens maturing, I snapped this picture last week walking the pup in the fields behind. It was the first time I’d been able to see the house from there because the big trees along the edge have lost their leaves.

IMG_2433.jpeg

Talk about picturesque!!!! Your home could not be more beautiful @Ally T.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Anything new and exciting? Any word from the folks who bought your former house--they settling in?

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Anything new and exciting? Any word from the folks who bought your former house--they settling in?

cheers--Sharon

Absolutely nothing new OR exciting going on here! Just everyday life & a beautiful toasty warm home full of chaos.

This time last year it was colder inside than out & on two days last January, the Sparkies had to down tools & go because their fingers were too frozen for fiddly wiring. I was really worried that we’d never be able to warm this girl up, but the underfloor heating just ticks along & everywhere is cozy despite the ice outside.

On the first few days of frost in November, the stone windows were absolutely covered with condensation on the bricks, running down & pooling onto windowsills. I was like, whaaat??? I called our amazing building manager, whom we’re super fond of & keep in touch with, and he said as the windows are sandstone & porous, they’ll be saturated due to years of damp & will slowly dry out as we warm her up. And he was right. After a week of dribbling bricks, they stopped & haven’t shown any further condensation.

The pup is now 7th months old & absolutely HUGE. Her mother was small & I thought I was getting a small dog, but turns out Mr. Pedigree was massive. She was weighed at 6 months for her flea & worm dose & went from 17.2kg at 4 months to 27.1kg at 6 months. She has grown SO much that the vet wants her back next month for another weigh in, as she may need a double dose going forwards if she carries on. She’s all muscle, long lanky legs & huge feet. I love her to bits even though she’s a pain in my butt.

How are things in Sharon Land? Cold up there??

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpeg
    IMG_2594.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 34

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely nothing new OR exciting going on here! Just everyday life & a beautiful toasty warm home full of chaos.

This time last year it was colder inside than out & on two days last January, the Sparkies had to down tools & go because their fingers were too frozen for fiddly wiring. I was really worried that we’d never be able to warm this girl up, but the underfloor heating just ticks along & everywhere is cozy despite the ice outside.

On the first few days of frost in November, the stone windows were absolutely covered with condensation on the bricks, running down & pooling onto windowsills. I was like, whaaat??? I called our amazing building manager, whom we’re super fond of & keep in touch with, and he said as the windows are sandstone & porous, they’ll be saturated due to years of damp & will slowly dry out as we warm her up. And he was right. After a week of dribbling bricks, they stopped & haven’t shown any further condensation.

The pup is now 7th months old & absolutely HUGE. Her mother was small & I thought I was getting a small dog, but turns out Mr. Pedigree was massive. She was weighed at 6 months for her flea & worm dose & went from 17.2kg at 4 months to 27.1kg at 6 months. She has grown SO much that the vet wants her back next month for another weigh in, as she may need a double dose going forwards if she carries on. She’s all muscle, long lanky legs & huge feet. I love her to bits even though she’s a pain in my butt.

How are things in Sharon Land? Cold up there??

You bought a dog to match your sofa :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

Christinak

Shiny_Rock

IMG_2433.jpeg

Wow your home looks so beautiful. What a major project and an amazing result

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It is COLD in Sharon Land (LOL). I think we had some of the coldest temps on the planet last weekend. Simply outrageous not to mention dangerous. Broke records for cold--yet in Nov, Dec and the beginning we broke records for warmest days! It is snowing at present . Seems that this Arctic front is triggering lots poor weather in many places. And I too am grateful for floor heating--game changer.

Your pooch looks VERY cozy and happy. And gigantic! Cutie patootie for sure. I'm sure there is lots of mischief happening.

Glad the condensation is a non issue--may it stay that way! Take care.

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im glad your house is drying out
im not very good with UK geography but there has been some awful weather and im glad it seems to have missed you

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
im glad your house is drying out
im not very good with UK geography but there has been some awful weather and im glad it seems to have missed you

We have it pretty cold here today & I expect the schools might get closed tomorrow. It’s currently -6 deg C where I am & will go lower overnight. We are very rural & the roads are like glass. I slipped over this morning getting out of my car & went down like a sack of potato’s in a flash - no time to think or brace. I have a swollen butt cheek with an 8 inch black bruise, plus a painful swollen wrist, as I landed fully on my forearm & side. I am a senior First Aid & I also had another double check me when I dragged myself into school, and we’re both 99% sure my wrist isn’t fractured, but I will see how it looks & feels in the morning. Urgh!

I have 5 guests & a dog staying on Saturday night, leaving Sunday, then my bestie from New Zealand arrives on Monday morning for a week. I need to be on top form & able to clean & change bedding on Sunday evening! My cleaner offered to come back & do an extra couple of hours, but I told her Mr T will need to muck in :lol-2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have it pretty cold here today & I expect the schools might get closed tomorrow. It’s currently -6 deg C where I am & will go lower overnight. We are very rural & the roads are like glass. I slipped over this morning getting out of my car & went down like a sack of potato’s in a flash - no time to think or brace. I have a swollen butt cheek with an 8 inch black bruise, plus a painful swollen wrist, as I landed fully on my forearm & side. I am a senior First Aid & I also had another double check me when I dragged myself into school, and we’re both 99% sure my wrist isn’t fractured, but I will see how it looks & feels in the morning. Urgh!

I have 5 guests & a dog staying on Saturday night, leaving Sunday, then my bestie from New Zealand arrives on Monday morning for a week. I need to be on top form & able to clean & change bedding on Sunday evening! My cleaner offered to come back & do an extra couple of hours, but I told her Mr T will need to muck in :lol-2:

YIKES to the fall! Healing vibes!!!! My dear pal fell on Saturday--it is going around! I would have your wrist looked at/Xrayed--it is not that difficult to break a bone.....and bad timing--with guests looming!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

make the kiwi do the cooking
actaully im sure she wont mind helping you with some housework

sounds like you will be sore tomorrow
fingers crossed its not broken
take care up there

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
make the kiwi do the cooking
actaully im sure she wont mind helping you with some housework

sounds like you will be sore tomorrow
fingers crossed its not broken
take care up there

or get door dash or uber eats! (and lots of champagne to wash the take-out down--it has medicinal qualities yanno)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How is the patient today????

xoxo Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How is the patient today????

xoxo Sharon

Hi Sharon. I’m ok thank you. My forearm has a couple of nasty swellings on it & a bruise to the wrist bone where my Tiffany bangle whacked it. I’ve had to put it on the other hand for a while, as too painful to have pushing up & down.

I won’t traumatise you with a picture of my hip, but need less to say it is black. Not as sore today as I expected though, which is a result!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOT's new? How did you visit go (your BFF from NZ)? Hope you are all healed from your fall--I knew 3 people in the same week as you who fell!

How's the pooch?

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOT's new? How did you visit go (your BFF from NZ)? Hope you are all healed from your fall--I knew 3 people in the same week as you who fell!

How's the pooch?

cheers--Sharon

Hello!

The pooch is a whopping 29.2kg now at 8 months old & still growing. She came into season last week, which we were advised to let her do before spaying her, as it’s better for her long term health. I closed her in the kitchen for a couple of days & covered the sofas in blankets, but the blood drips are SO tiny & few, plus she was starting to cry like never before at the mystery (to her) of trapping her in one room, that I decided I’d take the risk & let her in the rest of the house. And it’s pretty much been fine! I’ve only found 7 tiny drops on upstairs carpets (cleaned off very easily) & I’ve had to change random beds as she sleeps on them all in rotation during the day & there can be a tiny bit of residue, but generally she’s keeping herself clean & being a star.

Was fabulous to have my BFF here & also fabulous that she had to much space to herself & a break from her very busy life. She fell completely in love with the house & felt like she was living in a Stately Home! She had lots of videos at the start & as we progressed with building works, so for her to get to come & stay in the flesh was really special for her. Hopefully it won’t be another 19 years before we get together in the flesh again, as we’ll be in our late 60’s. That is a terrifying thought, given it feels like no time since we were last together. She had surgery to remove a tumour from her bladder last week (bizarre given she’s only 51 & as fit as a fiddle) so she was glad she came over to centre herself & just breathe without her life getting at her before the op.

Yes, all recovered from my fall & back on form with exercise. I did have some weird lumps in my butt cheek after the bruising healed, but they’ve also gone now. I hope your friends are ok too? It’s been quite mild here for the last month but we’re expecting another icy blast next week, so I must take more care when jumping down from my car in a hurry :lol-2:

What’s new with you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results