shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, they chipped my 3.67 heart diamond.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
Help, what do I do now? I picked up the stone and the owner brought the diamond out to me, he said he took it under his wing and took care of it and fixed the prongs. I didn''t loop the stone there, and I couldn''t use the microscope room because he brought someone in that room, so when I got home I looped it, and there is a chip on the girdle.

They are probably going to say "I" chipped the stone. what can I do now?
29.gif

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
just to add some information. They plotted the stone before I gave it to them, and didn''t find the chip. And they gave me an appraisal with a close picture of the ring BEFORE they reset it this time, the photo is pretty close and you can see there is not a chip. Looking at the GIA report it looks like there is a crystal in that area of the ring, but not a chip, does that weaken it?

I''ve notified them in email this evening (at 11:00 pm) so I notified them via email 5 hours after I picked up the stone. ALso, I do NOT have insurance on the stone. I was going to get it after I had it reset.... am I SOL?

It'' right on the edge and probably could be polished out, but I don''t want them to touch it ever again...

what should I do?????help....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d take it to an independent appraiser asap. You need to have the chip documented. I will let the experts chime in, but those are my initital thoughts. Also it''s a shame you didn''t get to loupe it before taking it out of the store, but that''s spilt milk now. I hope you get this resolved soon. But get expert advice before you deal with them. They will most likely try to deny it. I read your other thread, so don''t have a lot of faith in them.
15.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 1:03:37 AM
Author: Kaleigh
I''d take it to an independent appraiser asap. You need to have the chip documented. I will let the experts chime in, but those are my initital thoughts. Also it''s a shame you didn''t get to loupe it before taking it out of the store, but that''s spilt milk now. I hope you get this resolved soon. But get expert advice before you deal with them. They will most likely try to deny it. I read your other thread, so don''t have a lot of faith in them.
15.gif
Ditto, it is very important that you take it to an independent appraiser. I think it helps that you have a picture of the stone before it was set. I will cross my fingers that they are honest and help come to a solution with you.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I would take it back immediately to the store and show them the chip. See what their reaction is. If it is combative, then I would take it to an independent appraiser to get his opinion as to whether the chip occurred upon setting.

The store''s liability (if they chipped it) is the cost of recutting, along with reimbursing you the loss of value due to reduced weight.

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
I sent them emails a few hours after I picked up the stone, along with before and after photos. I don''t want them to recut the stone, who would I send it to? If they are combative and say they didn''t do it, what do I do next?

How do I post pictures, they aren''t working....

imgnotfound.jpg

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the chip....do you think I''ll lose alot of weight on this small chip?

th_606.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 2:36:38 AM
Author: trishy44
Here''s the chip....do you think I''ll lose alot of weight on this small chip?
I''m sorry, I can''t really see it. Do you want to blow up the picture and put and arrow by it or something?

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
how can i make it bigger???? It''s a real close up.

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
My stone was an SI1 and I couldn''t even see the flaws with a loupe, would it be an I1 now?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 3:27:56 AM
My stone was an SI1 and I couldn''t even see the flaws with a loupe, would it be an I1 now?
Hard to say without an appraisal. If it''s a tiny chip, it may be able to be polished out with minimal carat loss and then the clarity might actually *improve* since there was a crystal there before. As is, the clarity will probably go down. Keep in mind I am not an expert on this and an independent appraiser would be able to give you a better estimate.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Eek! So sorry to hear this!
32.gif

I would follow Richard Sherwood's advice. Take it back and see what they say. Then go from there.

My guess is we will not be able to see the chip on a picture like that. Unless the chip is really big (which it doesn't sound like it is) we would probably need magnified images.

No insurance?! Why? Good lord...

Did you have an agreement with the jeweler, in writing, that they would be responsible for the diamond if there was any damage during setting?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry this happened to your beautiful stone. Best of luck getting it fixed.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
since this is on the report are you sure it''s not a "natural". they are quite normal.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 6:41:54 AM
Author: jazmine

No insurance?! Why? Good lord...

Did you have an agreement with the jeweler, in writing, that they would be responsible for the diamond if there was any damage during setting?

Ditto.

Trishy, I''m in your area and if you can say who the store is I might be able to give you some insite. I''m so sorry and I really hope the store will be compationate. However, if you did not have an agreement with them about possible damage and you didn''t have it insured you may be out of luck. Take Rich''s advice and see what they say and then go from there.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
This is definitely an instance where you should return to the store ASAP. I wouldn''t attempt to communicate w/ them via e-mail or over the phone, take your ring back to the store so they can see it.

Try to remain calm.
As Richard said let them see what happened and see what they say.

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
if someone can give me their email, I'll send them the pictures and they can resize them. i got them pretty magnified.

I actually have a separate chubb policy for most of my jewlery, the reason I didn't include this was yet was because I got a Tanzanite ring last yearr also that has never been appraised and I wanted to add them both in one shot. My fault totally...

Actually with this jewler, we plotted the diamond before I gave it to them under a microscope, the saleman noted there were no visable chips. After I posted here and I talked with the saleman, I voiced how I was nervous about the careless jewler and that he might hurt my diamond, and I talked with him several times and he kept asuring me that nothing would happen.

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and the chip isn''t an indented natural, my orignal e-ring has one of those so I''m familar with it.... please help me post pictures...

I wanted to send the emails so they knew 5 hours after I got the ring, the chip was noted and photographed. Does anyone know a good independant appraiser in Nashville, TN?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Yikes...I''m so sorry about this..

Send your pics to the admin...she''ll post them for you. We can''t (and most don''t want to) post our emails on a public forum

I''ll be thinking about you and keeping my fingers crossed that all this can be worked out without too much unpleasantness and hassle..

Hang in there...
widget

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 2:41:48 AM
how can i make it bigger???? It''s a real close up.
Send your "not yet re-sized photo" right from the camera to me trishy for re-sizing please.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, people should definitely not post emails on the forum.

I am sorry to hear about this too Trishy.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trishy I just wanted to say how sorry I am, definitely get an good independant appraisal ASAP.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2007 10:02:30 AM
Oh, and the chip isn''t an indented natural, my orignal e-ring has one of those so I''m familar with it.... please help me post pictures...

I wanted to send the emails so they knew 5 hours after I got the ring, the chip was noted and photographed. Does anyone know a good independant appraiser in Nashville, TN?

Here''s one from the database at the top of the page. I''ve never met her but perhaps others here have. Let us know how it goes if you decide to hire her.

http://www.susanschwartzgg.com

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
What i did was "before" picture scaled up to the "after" size and move it over. Looks to me the chip is at the same location as the old prong.
What do you think Neil?

Trish5555.jpg

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
The jewler is telling me the same thing, that it was in the place of the old prong. Doesn''t that still mean he chipped the stone when they removed it from the setting?

They want me to bring in my gia report, the independant appraiser can''t get me until tomorrow...

What now?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
wow, impressed by photoshop and detective ability!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2007 11:14:32 AM
The jewler is telling me the same thing, that it was in the place of the old prong. Doesn't that still mean he chipped the stone when they removed it from the setting?

They want me to bring in my gia report, the independant appraiser can't get me until tomorrow...

What now?
Show them your GIA report. Set an appointment with the appraiser for tomorrow. Have all of your photographs, plots, your GIA report and any other paperwork available with you when you go in for your meeting with the appraiser.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

prydwyn

Rough_Rock
Is it possible the original prong was hiding the chip to begin with?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 11:14:32 AM
The jewler is telling me the same thing, that it was in the place of the old prong. Doesn't that still mean he chipped the stone when they removed it from the setting?

They want me to bring in my gia report, the independant appraiser can't get me until tomorrow...

What now?
Have the prongs moved since 3 days ago when you received it and didn't like the way it looked?

Honestly, this is twice that you have left without louping it, and I really think it is in your best interests to examine your stone before you leave a store. ETA and I don't mean this to be a blame the victim sort of thing, but a proactive impowering sort of thing... nip it in the bud much easier... and if they found a chip under the prong they should have notified you immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results