shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, they chipped my 3.67 heart diamond.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock

Hmmm. "hardball", how does mediation work???
Trishy

Mediation is an alternative to filing a costly, time consuming lawsuit.

Mediators are trained to attempt to bring both parties together in an agreement that is satisfactory to both.

In some courts, you are required to meet with a mediator before you can get a trial date.

This is done to help reduce the necessity of judges having to hear lawsuits, helps free up the court calendar, which in some areas can take a lot ot time.

Both parties need to agree to have a meeting ( in person, on phone, on a video ). The mediator meets with each party to discuss the matter at hand, and attempts to reach a reasonable resolution where each party compromises. Both parties need to want to mediate, and resolve the matter. It is particularly helpful to have a non interested person handle this, as you eliminate any negative or aggressive discussion.

In matters where the issue is of a minor value, having a mediator help is a lot less expensive than hiring an attorney, and going through the additional procedures required in many lawsuits, which includes production of documents, depositions of all the witnesses, or relevant parties. Depositions, which are attended by each side''s attorneys can get very costly, plus a court reporter needs to be present as well.

In very general layman''s terms a mediator is going to "sell" coming to an agreement. If a lawsuit is filed then the mediator writes the agreement between the parties, has them agree, and then the judge will review it and approve it. At that time the resolution and agreement become binding on both parties.

Generally mediators aren''t required to be knowledgeable about the technical issues of a matter, but in the case of jewelry and gemstones, having someone who understands the details of gemology being your mediator could be an advantage. After hearing both sides, which are initially held with only each side present, then the mediator can elect to bring both parties together in the same room to work out the final details. It is a good system and while sometimes it isn''t successful, most time a skilled mediator can negotiate a agreeable solution.

Another alternative is ARBITRATION. There is binding arbitrtration and non-binding arbitration. Arbitration differs from mediation because the arbitrators set the final decision on how the matter would be settled. Usually there are three arbitrators in the hearing, which is held like a "mock trial". The arbitrators "vote" on the solution and whomever gets the "majority vote" of the arbitrators is how the matter gets finalized.

Does this help answer your question?

Rockdoc

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi trishy! i am sympathetic to the situation you are currently dealing with. i would be feeling pretty fed up with the jeweler at this point. you already have expended your money for the appraisal and all of the alternatives suggested will cost also. i am glad you are sending the stone to gog and hope they are going to give you a price for restoration. sometimes it is best to bite the bullet and put a situation behind you. if the cost is minimal i would consider paying it and moving on. if you don''t come out the winner at mediation or arbitration those costs will be added to the restoration cost. you of course know best and i wish you luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read through all 4 pages, and I, too, am so sorry about the chip on your diamond. As much as I can understand wanting to prove a point, I also feel that it just wouldn''t be worth paying an arbitrator to challenge the jeweler when we are probably talking about a couple of hundred dollars. It''s really fortunate that the damage wasn''t a lot worse. I hope you insure it before sending it off again to GOG!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results