shape
carat
color
clarity

We'll sell you a diamond...but first we want to look up your skirt.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I think it was @Ibrakeforpossums? I cannot remember how the issue was resolved though.

Yes, that was me. I bought the damned diamond by wire transfer (which I offered to do early in the process) and am now relieved that I'll never buy from James Allen again. Lovely diamond, but not the last one in the world.
Maybe I could pay diamondhoarder to source them for me. She has an eye.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Hi @mrs-b,

I'm sorry that you had a negative purchase experience, especially given your rich order history with our company. I believe you escalated your concern to a manager, who was able to locate your prior orders and approve the transaction without the need to provide additional verification.

On a more general note, I can confirm that James Allen is a fully PCI complaint organization and takes the security and privacy of our users very seriously. Any information that is sent to us is done via a fully encrypted and secure portal, and our document upload page contains the following instruction and disclaimer:

Screenshot_20210305-090652_Chrome.jpg

I got that same "offer." I work for a group of doctors and a CEO who might find amusement going thru my sent box. I can't risk my employment status to reassure James Allen.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect James Allen changed from displaying GIA reports, like everyone else, to requiring personal info in order to get the reports for a peek up the skirt reason.

When you click on one of James Allen's diamond GIA thumbnail you get a pop up screen telling you to call an phone number with an 877 area code.
When you call any area code starting with 8 the entity you're calling captures your entire phone number.

More of the same yucky stealing of personal info. :nono:
... and this was not even to buy something, just to shop. :knockout:

Creepy!

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"When you call any area code starting with 8 the entity you're calling captures your entire phone number."

I've lived in 804 - central Virginia - for about 40+ years. How do I capture the real number of the scammers and time wasters calling me?

I had a motel on North Carolina's Outer Banks recently ask for a pic of my driver's license in order to do an on line pre-check-in due to Covid, etc. Oh, what the heck, it's been family owned since 1950, has oceanfront rooms/kitchenettes on the beach with a front porch and two Adirondack chairs for each room. No dune, you are looking right smack at the beach and the breakers from your door and your bed.

How great are these people? They reportedly just turned down $8.5 million for the property. Somebody wanted to knock it down and build something very, very large. :)
It's a family place. Mom and dad built it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect James Allen changed from displaying GIA reports, like everyone else, to requiring personal info in order to get the reports for a peek up the skirt reason.

When you click on one of James Allen's diamond GIA thumbnail you get a pop up screen telling you to call an phone number with an 877 area code.
When you call any area code starting with 8 the entity you're calling captures your entire phone number.

More of the same yucky stealing of personal info. :nono:
... and this was not even to buy something, just to shop. :knockout:

Creepy!
Can you elaborate on what you think area codes with 8 do? I believe you are mistaken- numbers like 877 or 800 are toll free numbers. A business that uses a toll free number may record telephone calls coming into their business - I’m not sure that’s the same thing as what you’re describing and it certainly isn’t nefarious.

DiamondGal28

Rough_Rock
I'd be very interested to know how they are going to implement a verification process as intrusive as the one you've just gone through and comply with regulations like California Consumer Protection Act where they will need to prove they've deleted your personal information if requested.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't caller ID do that? Pretty much every phone call I get shows what number is coming in whether I know the person or not.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't caller ID do that? Pretty much every phone call I get shows what number is coming in whether I know the person or not.

lol yes my iPhone is carrying your number too.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely well said, Mrs B.

As a slight t/j - I'm guessing no one seeing my drivers license photo would send me a diamond of any kind - I look like a serial killer who's been hiding in a swamp!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooo... I just ordered something from Whiteflash and they are asking for nearly the same, minus a selfie. They have a form they want me to fill out and fax or email back (with my CC information written out, including the code that is meant to offer another layer of protection), a copy of my CC, and a copy of my photo id.

I called them, however no one was there to speak with. Having seen this thread, I looked over their site to make sure they would not ask me for this.

I hope I can verify via FT otherwise holy wet blanket. There goes my excitement over what I had planned!

Anyone else encounter this with WF?

Dhana

Shiny_Rock
Yes there is a thread by someone else in the forum purchasing at white flash .

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sooooo... I just ordered something from Whiteflash and they are asking for nearly the same, minus a selfie. They have a form they want me to fill out and fax or email back (with my CC information written out, including the code that is meant to offer another layer of protection), a copy of my CC, and a copy of my photo id.

I called them, however no one was there to speak with. Having seen this thread, I looked over their site to make sure they would not ask me for this.

I hope I can verify via FT otherwise holy wet blanket. There goes my excitement over what I had planned!

Anyone else encounter this with WF?

I have purchased several items from Whiteflash and did not feel comfortable with the credit card form, etc. I have been able to pay via PayPal.

I mentioned this in another thread, and another PSer said there is a dollar limit for the PayPal transactions. My purchases must have been small enough to fall under that limit.

For me, it just feels more secure. I hope this helps!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash will make alternate arrangements for known customers. Call in and speak with a human.

Dhana

Shiny_Rock
looks like kind of everyone is doing it ?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF has been asking for this extra ID info for quite a few years, for purchases via CC, although as mentioned WF will work with repeat/known customers ... I know one time I paid via PayPal and another time Vera interceded for me ... really poor (security) form to request this kind of info IMHO.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no. Well this is a bummer. I suspect my purchase may be above the PayPal limit, and I am not a repeat customer. This is my first purchase from them.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I just got the same email from them. I’ve been a customer with them since 2013. Ridiculous.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Heidibrooke I'm guessing the email goes out for every WF order. It sounds like, from the other posters' responses, that since you are an established customer, WF will be able to put your order through without having you give them this stuff. Fingers crossed anyway!

I'm surprised I even saw the request/form... it's waaaay down at the bottom of the order confirmation email after a bunch of stuff that normally no one really needs to read.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All is well and my project can move forward! They called me back this morning and were able to work with me. I finally got to 'meet' Vera and can be added to the long list of people who think she is a delight!

@mrs-b did you continue to work with JA on these pears or have you moved on from them? I feel for you; finding pears that work is challenging enough without a company derailing your efforts.

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
That is disappointing and unacceptable from a security perspective. One of my coworkers just asked if I would help him pick a diamond for an engagement ring. I know that being asked to fax/email full credit card number & CVV would be a dealbreaker for him, so I guess WF is off the list.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lucy-In-The-Sky don't count them out yet! They worked with me and we got there!

Is it as simple as telling them you are a participating member here?

If it is - what a double edged sword that is - with the musings of some vendors who ‘hate’ to hear that.

When I am in the market for a modern round brilliant, this is another reason to go for an in person visit.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher - no, I didn't use PS as a means to sort it out. After it was all set, she asked how I had heard about WF and at that point I mentioned PS. It had no bearing on the sale or verifying my identity.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the heads up.I agree with you 100%

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher - no, I didn't use PS as a means to sort it out. After it was all set, she asked how I had heard about WF and at that point I mentioned PS. It had no bearing on the sale or verifying my identity.

I want to apologize if I came across as assuming you threw ‘PS privilege’ at them.
That wasn’t my intent.
I figured if they were working on something to figure out other methods of proving who you say you are - PS might come up. I don’t know.
I’m sorry.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no worries Rfisher, and no need to apologize! Reading it back now, I can see how my post reads chilly, but I didn't intend it that way... I was just looking to clarify and I see I kept it blandly factual!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think this may be relevant:

Question for all US based individuals here (and if trade weighs in it would actually be cool as well!) - do you guys not have those visa/MasterCard verification services enabled by default? I feel like those would take care of a lot of the problem for online transactions... then for someone to steal my money they would not only need my card but real time access to my phone or banking app. My ID is already registered with my bank and has passed muster there, so its not necessary for purchases where I live (plus if you steal someone’s CC it’s probably easy to steal their license or something as well, most people carry them together). And verification is a lot more secure than sending someone my unsecured card details and ID.

I mean even if I buy a bar of chocolate off of Amazon I need to verify my purchase, wherever else in the world I’ve tried.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results