shape
carat
color
clarity

Well Phooey!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Had an interesting day at a few local jewlers.

First, it was a real pleasure to actually try rings on in person and see how they look! I like online buying, but honestly, in person is far preferable for settings.

Found a three-stone setting I really liked at one place, made by ArtCarved. Turns out that Artcarved only sells it including side stones and cannot modify the side stone sizes either :knockout:

Then I found another setting I totally fell in love with! :love: Not a three stone :rodent: By Maevona. If anyone can see these settings in person, they are divine! The one I fell for was the Rora: http://www.maevona.com//bridal/17/rora. The delicacy does not come accross online, the shank is only 2mm wide! Sits flush with a wb. Perfect! Check out the rose gold undergallery! Sorely tempting I must say, this is one of the first times I have really fallen for a setting. The catch? Maevona only makes it for 1.25ct and 2ct stones... NOTHING IN BETWEEN! :?: WTF?? The jeweler is calling to look into this, but really, isn't that the pits?

Then I say a really cute little Stuller three-stone setting for like $350. Totally tempting as a temporary three-stone setting for that price. They are seeing if it can be ordered for my stones, but watch, with the luck I am having it will not be available either :rolleyes:

If anyone wants someone they know jinxed, send them my way :blackeye:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can relate to how frustrating it is! I am sure it may be hard to get a stock 3 stone setting because they are going to come in a size for 1.5 for the center (and who knows for the sides?!) and your center stone is going to be snug. How do I know??? Well, let's just say my diamond was set a couple of times before it went in the Leon, and even though I had loved the previous setting (HLevi), it was clear to me that the head of the ring was for a 1.5 and my stone was tight in the head and was hard to clean because some of the head actually touched the stone! That wouldn't happen as likely with a v-prong head, but I can't imagine wanting that in a 3-stone! You can probably look on the Stuller site and find that setting, but it probably comes with a 1.5 head with .5 sides or something like that. Sorry, but it seems like we can't ever do things the cheap way!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH! The Rora setting is divine! I love it.

The Maevona website says the Rora can accommodate a stone between 0.40 and 4.00 cts--let's hope that's correct!

What metals would you have it made in?

I really like a lot of those Maevona rings. The three-stones are really delicious.

ETA: I am really digging the Eriskay setting, too.
I LOVE the Rora with colored stones. I wonder how that would look as a RHR . . .

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1305157438|2919122 said:
OH! The Rora setting is divine! I love it.

The Maevona website says the Rora can accommodate a stone between 0.40 and 4.00 cts--let's hope that's correct!

What metals would you have it made in?

I really like a lot of those Maevona rings. The three-stones are really delicious.

ETA: I am really digging the Eriskay setting, too.
I LOVE the Rora with colored stones. I wonder how that would look as a RHR . . .

You would think logically that means it comes in many different sizes wouldn't you :rolleyes: But I looked in the catalogue at the jewler and it is only available for 1ct, 1.25ct, and 2ct! They said that there are a bunch like that. And apparently they are not amenable to customuzation at all. Poop on them.

It was DIVINE! I would have done wg and rose gold in the gallery.

They don't have a three stone that is compatible either, but the RB with pear sides was also divine!

DS Yes, nothing goes super smoothly does it in the setting dept. for us :rolleyes:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
THAT'S BS!

ETA: Sorry! I'm really irritated that you can even consider getting that ring if you want it. It's really beautiful, and I can't imagine why they would sell a setting that only accommodates certain size stones. That ring is so beautiful, which makes this extra irritating.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sucks, Dreamer! What a pain. Finding the right setting that actually works with your stone(s) is so hard (I should know, lol). :sick: What was the Stuller setting like?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OK Dreamer...I tried to make the MaeVona into a 3-stone. This is based on the BGD 3-stone half bezel design

maevonaplusbgd.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
darn it Dreamer... but I got to say yay! for trying on a bunch of settings and the Maevona is one of my favorite designer. I'm glad you were able to try on settings IRL... its really different sometimes to say I don't like one particular setting only to find out how in love with it I am in person. There were some A.Jaffe I saw online and thought meh... but then I tried on a few and really loved their work and settings. Anyways, I am really liking the temp three stone idea, and I'm sure they could do something and put it altogether for a "temp" price maybe not the $350 but a litte more and will give you more piece of mind and confirm whether you will love it or not?

eta: speaking of A.Jaffe, have you seen their three stone design? very pretty and fluid i think

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the Maevona line as well. I had looked at them a good while back.

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
I would try to cad this in autocad, but I no longer work at that job anymore...

Also, I like the INOA./DIA ring....

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
My question is: are you thinking if you set your stone in the Rora, you are abandoning the three stone idea, or would you still be looking to have a three stone in the not too far away future?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1305160947|2919173 said:
OK Dreamer...I tried to make the MaeVona into a 3-stone. This is based on the BGD 3-stone half bezel design

maevonaplusbgd.jpg

Hmmm, that could be interesting! I have never tried on a three-stone bezel. I like the photos, but am not sure on my hand. I wonder if BGD would send me a wax of the setting??

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T|1305162399|2919208 said:
darn it Dreamer... but I got to say yay! for trying on a bunch of settings and the Maevona is one of my favorite designer. I'm glad you were able to try on settings IRL... its really different sometimes to say I don't like one particular setting only to find out how in love with it I am in person. There were some A.Jaffe I saw online and thought meh... but then I tried on a few and really loved their work and settings. Anyways, I am really liking the temp three stone idea, and I'm sure they could do something and put it altogether for a "temp" price maybe not the $350 but a litte more and will give you more piece of mind and confirm whether you will love it or not?

eta: speaking of A.Jaffe, have you seen their three stone design? very pretty and fluid i think

I have never seen A.Jaffe. I think I need to go to more jewelers who carry designer settings. I need to hunt around some more. I have not actually been to many places that carry names/lines we know.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1305162612|2919212 said:
I really like the Maevona line as well. I had looked at them a good while back.

I also found the setting really comfortable! The shanks were all high dome comfort fit and boy could you tell.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gibson486|1305162853|2919219 said:
I would try to cad this in autocad, but I no longer work at that job anymore...

Also, I like the INOA./DIA ring....

Aw, thanks for the thought! That would have been cool, we need some CAD types around these parts!

I love the INOA too. Very pretty.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
this is the front view of the 3-stone half bezel...or as close to a front view as I could find. sideview.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1305158582|2919135 said:
That sucks, Dreamer! What a pain. Finding the right setting that actually works with your stone(s) is so hard (I should know, lol). :sick: What was the Stuller setting like?

It was a super simple three stone with a basket center and three prong sides, thin shank. Like the Option 1 I posted in my ol, actually, but of course not as steamlines. It was really cute actually, for the price.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1305165163|2919284 said:
My question is: are you thinking if you set your stone in the Rora, you are abandoning the three stone idea, or would you still be looking to have a three stone in the not too far away future?

I don't know :rodent:

This one was really cool. I wouldl like to find a three stone as cool as this, but for rounds. And honestly, I am not crazy about custom. I am not a designer, I want to find a piece of art that someone else created, ya know?

http://www.maevona.com//bridal/12/scotasay

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought I would update this thread in case anyone is ever searching for maevona information, I wanted it to be accurate.

So it turns out that Maevona will custom make the Rora for stone in between 1.25ct and 2.0ct. Apparently there is sometimes a custom fee for this, though they "waived it" for my jewler when they inquired. The ring would have taken about 6 weeks to make for me. And it would have cost about $2600 in 18k white gold with a rose gold accent. Too rich for my blood, but an amazing setting for those so inclined to really splurge on a setting they love.

My local jeweler did come through for my with a Stuller three stone setting that is *very* affordable. It is a simple basket style mount with three prongs on the outer stones and four on the center stone. I am looking into it more, but it is a stong contender!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you found an affordable three stone contend! I am excited to see your three stone finally come together :bigsmile:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Oohhh, I love it when you can find an affordable setting (especially when you aren't sure what you want for "foreverish" :cheeky: Cna't wait to see it!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

The only issue is that I can't see it in person before ordering it. And we all know how great the images are on these casting company sites :rolleyes: I did see a version of the ring with much smaller stones (li.e .50cttw) and liked it, but I wish I could see it in person before committing. The local jeweler is very nice and does good work, though, so I think they could tweak things if I was really not happy with the end product. Still.... risk.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
That Rora setting is super chic! I'm sure we'll see someone end up with it. I don't know about a stuller setting because down the road you could end up wanting something made just for your stones so after $350 plus setting plus the loss on earring settings it truly starts to add up. Do you have any artisan type jewelers in your area? I have been really happy when I just told my jeweler a few elements I liked and he designed something way nicer than if I had micromanaged it.

I agree that it really is illuminating to try on settings in person...I never would have ended up with the setting I did had I not.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1305580740|2923387 said:
That Rora setting is super chic! I'm sure we'll see someone end up with it. I don't know about a stuller setting because down the road you could end up wanting something made just for your stones so after $350 plus setting plus the loss on earring settings it truly starts to add up. Do you have any artisan type jewelers in your area? I have been really happy when I just told my jeweler a few elements I liked and he designed something way nicer than if I had micromanaged it.

I agree that it really is illuminating to try on settings in person...I never would have ended up with the setting I did had I not.

this is what I was thinking as well.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a picture of the Stuller setting?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1305594372|2923568 said:
Do you have a picture of the Stuller setting?

http://www.stuller.com/products/12693/?groupId=6517 I saw it in person in a smaller size and thought it was nice quality. Similar to my present solitaire by Unique, which is nice enough quality for me.

Yes, these types of things add up, its true. I hve not added it up before, but just did right now. I think all told in the last three years I have spent about $1800 on various settings for various jewelry pieces that I do not presently own, including settings/adjustments for my upgrades (original sapphire & diamond three-stone mount; pendant mount; original solitaire mount; two replacement heads for upgrades; present solitaire for last upgrade; earring mounts; received about $350 for scrap for all of it). The upgrade settings aside (unavoidable) I have probably lost about $600 through all these permutations.

But I think the cost has been worth it. I have discovered a couple things about myself over the years when it comes to jewelry. I don't know what I really like until I see it and wear it for a while. Thought I liked ECs but after wearing a three stone with ECs for two years discovered I did not appreciate their subtle sparkle. Thought I would like a pendant, turned out after 6mo and two wears I do indeed hate all necklaces ;)) It never got worn. Thought I might like diamond earrings, too, and might have wanted to keep my new stones as earrings. Turns out I don't wear them so it is not something I need in my "jewelry wardrobe". But it was a worthwhile experiment for me, and the loss on the earrings was a grand total of $50 since the settings were inexpensive and were my PS gift ;)). As it turns out, I like to own basically ONE nice piece of jewelry and like all my investment to do to that one piece, and I enjoy the process of discovering what I like.

So knowing this about myself, there is just no way I can spend $3000 (including taxes) on a setting when I don't know if it is a style I will enjoy wearing in the long term! I am pretty sure I would always wonder about the "what if" of the three stone if I did not try it out. And I think I do need to try it out. I am not sure I will like the proportions of the stones (do I want bigger? I can't tell without wearing it a while), I am not sure I will miss my solitaire or yearn for the semi-bezel again. I am just not *sure*. And that is also why I don't think I want to spend the $2000 a custom setting would cost (that is where my quotes came in, more actually from many vendors, including the local artisans I visited). And that amount is OUT of the budget anyways.

I think if I can discover if I really like the three stone style and also enjoy wearing my diamonds now, rather than in a year or two, and risk losing $500 if I change my mind, that is a worthwhile price to pay for my hobby :)) .

Still, I wish I could see the actual Stuller mount in person before deciding for sure.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1305580740|2923387 said:
... Do you have any artisan type jewelers in your area? I have been really happy when I just told my jeweler a few elements I liked and he designed something way nicer than if I had micromanaged it...

I do have a couple and they both seem quite accomplished. Both hand forge and fabricate the rings, which is something I would love to own one day. The price is pretty steep, but one day I will go in that direction I am sure. I would love to own a piece of art like that. I think down the road if I ever start collecting diamond shapes like I would like to, I will have a hand made ring made for a smaller stone that will be its permanent home. I am not sure I will ever have a "permanent" home for my main large diamond, so would not likely want to put it in a hand made piece. If I did have a work of art like that made, I would want never want to reset it, so I think it would be a better home for a secondary piece rather than my primary ring. I know for many people that is a$$ backwards logic 8) but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And if anyone bothers to read that really long post two up, then I consider you my true friends :rodent:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results