shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread July 31st to August 6th

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dixie, tobacco killed my Father. The sad thing was that he quit 7 years before his death, he had a mini stroke or a transient ischaemic attack, we called the doctor who told him the smoking had to go and he quit cold turkey. Unfortunately it was too late, he developed lung cancer which spread to his liver and he died 5 years ago. He smoked cigarettes for about 22 years, then quit for a year or two, then started a pipe and cigars, the smoke from which he used to inhale....Maybe the quitting when he did gave him some extra time, but it was too late for him to avoid cancer. Hopefully it isn''t too late for me. It just proves what a horrible drug nicotine is, when I watched my Father die in terrible pain, yet carried on smoking. Absolutely ridiculous.

But thanks so much for the positive vibes Dixie, they are so much appreciated! Also Hubby''s Grandfather had emphysema, he was hooked up to a mask and oxygen for the last years of his life, another dreadful disease caused by smoking. I found this really motivating website earlier which makes you feel really gung ho about quitting, just what an ex smoker in the early stages needs!

You can do it with the workout! I had a job getting out of bed this morning as I was woken from a peaceful sleep by Hubby
8.gif
, but I dragged myself out and managed to get to the gym! That is the trick I think - just go do it, then you feel so saintly that continuing gets easier.

We ARE doing well, our little group is going great!
36.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Now I''m laughing... perhaps it''s a regional thing about the sports bras? Maybe an age thing? This morning maybe 50% of the girls were down to "the minimum..."
23.gif
Who knows. Strength in #''s I suppose - it made me feel slightly less strange! Whatever, I''ll get over it, I''m sure!

Lorelei, you said you were cutting out your YOGURT from your diet? Isn''t this supposed to be a ''good'' addition to one''s food intake? People are constantly trying to get me to make this my mid-morning snack, or after dinner treat. I personally HATE yogurt - just never got accustomed to the taste - but would it not be a good change? Too much fat? Calories? Surely the low-fat versions could be a reasonable substitute if you''re missing your yogurt?

Though I''ve never smoked myself, I watched both my parents go through trying to quit. Sounds like you''re doing great, and REALLY, this is probably the BEST thing you can do to your health - even better than any of your workouts. Seems a bit strange at first, but you''ll probably feel like your lungs are HUGE once you''ve quit for a bit. BEST OF LUCK!!
9.gif

Aussiegirl : p

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Aussie
35.gif
I was hooked on these fat free lemon cheesecake yogs, but they still had over 100 cals a pot and plenty of sugar and I was eating 3 or 4 a day! So I have cut them out for now so that I have a nice calorie deficit while I quit smoking
16.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Hehe... 3 or 4 a day... maybe not such a good thing
41.gif

I remember my parents saying the same thing - everything TASTES better and stronger once you''ve stopped smoking. Crazy taste buds... must be a huge change for them!
23.gif

okay, back to work -- but Lorelei, where is your Avatar from?? It''s adorable!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats the trouble, these things tasted a bit like LEMON PIE
41.gif
so they were rather addictive!

I found my avatar a while ago and saved it, then a couple of weeks ago I got bored with my horse avatar, plus everyone else seemed to be changing theirs, so I did too. I found him at a free avatar site, isn''t he the cutest?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s true that your taste buds change when you quit smoking. Mine did, big time. I found that I started enjoying foods I had never liked (sushi salmon sushi salmon sushi!!!) and I avoided foods that I used to love (just about anything fried or salty). In fact, I find I no longer add salt to anything as foods taste salty enough to me without adding any. As a smoker I added a lot of salt to things. Real bright, huh???? Smoking increases one''s blood pressure and so does adding salt. So a double whammy on the blood pressure front.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find everything tastes so '' pronounced'' it is a weird feeling, just goes to show how it can affect you in so many ways. As long as my appetite doesn''t increase!
40.gif
I really don''t think I could eat Sushi, it is normally fish and chips for us Brits, not very low cal though!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Lorelei, that is awful. I am sorry to hear about your family suffering that way. You are doing great...I applaud your 5th day off those things!

Coda, please don''t be concerned. Heat IS a factor. We are spoiled here in So Cal...I am used to running in nice weather. I made the mistake of only training in evenings on my first marathon and had to run the race in 90 degree heat. My body suffered greatly. So for my second, I did a lot of training during the hottest part of the day. There were often days I didn''t finish my runs.

It''s just the nature of the beast. Much of marathon training is MENTAL. You can''t let the off days get to you. One week I''d run 12 miles just fine, and the next I''d heat a massive wall on mile 8 and just stop. You just pick up the next week and try all over again. I do remember one time I had to do an 18 mile run. I started at 5 pm, and 3 hours later on mile 16 I was just dying. But since I really wanted to finish the long run so I could mentally be prepared, I kept going. It was dark and cold and I was nervous running on a very lonely stretch of beach strand, but I persevered. I cried the entire last two miles.

That''s the thing with marathons...it''s really not the race that gets you...it''s the training. The race is the REWARD for all your hard work (this is not to say it''s easy, btw...but by the time the race rolls around, you should be as prepared as you''re gonna get.) You can do it...your mind is stronger than your body. Remember that...

We went out to dinner for a friends birthday last night. I have a new technique...GUM! I just chew until all the appetizers are gone. Makes me drink less wine and I don''t pick at all the food. I just realized that sometimes my mouth just wants to be busy, and gum does that for me. I managed to just have my main course and a bit of wine, and that''s it. Whew! Also did an hour and a half walk before dinner last night, with 20 minutes of serious hill climbing. Yay!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/2/2006 12:57:18 PM
Author: Lorelei
I find everything tastes so '' pronounced'' it is a weird feeling, just goes to show how it can affect you in so many ways. As long as my appetite doesn''t increase!
40.gif
I really don''t think I could eat Sushi, it is normally fish and chips for us Brits, not very low cal though!
Don''t be surprised if your taste buds change that much. I used to cringe at the thought of sushi. I had tried it numerous times and the taste and texture did nothing for me. Then one day after quitting smoking some friends invited us to their favorite sushi place. Of course I figured I wouldn''t enjoy it like all the other times. But something had changed and the flavors just burst in my mouth and from that point forward, I can''t seem to get enough Sushi. I had it three times last week. It''s becoming an expensive addiction (but way more healthy than smoking)..........LOL. I used to love fish and chips, but my taste buds don''t seem to appreciate fried foods these days. Maybe''s it''s because I know how many grams of saturated fat I''d be getting and I''ve mentally turned myself off of bad fat grams. Sigh.......oh well...........

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Aussiegirl, I forgot to mention that although I''m a straight female, I tend to look at girls in their sports bras at the gym myself. But it''s born out of envy and admiration. I''m usually thinking, "How many miles and how many sit ups do I have to do to look like *that*?" So, I guess I''m guilty of the green-eyed monster.

Travelingal, I''ll have to try the gum thing next time. Appetizers usually kill me whenever I go out to dinner because we usually order the really yummy stuff that I just can''t turn down.

Another weakness is Yorkshire pudding or English popovers they serve at the prime rib steakhouses here. I''ll eat maybe three bites of the prime rib, but ask for extras on the pudding/popovers. They''re soooo bad but soooo good.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei,
Sorry to hear about your father. My grandparents also quit years before passing, but it didn''t stop the illness, unfortunately. Please feel free to get the support here any time you need it!!

You are definitely right that the trick is to just get up and do it. Whenever I think about it for too long, I manage to talk myself out of it. Luckily, my son takes a class at my gym or I''m not sure I''d be there twice/wk. Once this contract ends, I''m going to join a local gym b/c they have a lot more activities and classes and I need the variety to keep going.

Also, there are Yoplait yogurts for only 90 calories and taste pretty good. I like the Thick and Creamy ones and I''m pretty sure they are 90 calories too.

Cinderella, sometimes I catch myself looking at other women too, in pure admiration! I often wonder when/if I will would ever feel confident enough not to wear a big t-shirt and pants. I say, wear whatever you want and do your best to ignore all the annoying looks. I agree that the gym can be very annoying like that. I''ve had a couple guys hit on me and I just don''t find that appealing at all. Hello, i''m here to workout not get a date. Yuck!

The gum is a great idea! I may try that the next time I go out to dinner, especially when there''s bread on the table. I''m not too bad about ordering appetizers, but I definitely want any bread that''s available.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, the gum was great for avoiding bread! And use a gum that has a minty flavor. Even after you take it out, food will taste so bad that it will take a bit before you want to eat something....

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
hi all! I am feeling ultra guilty as I have been extremely lazy. I don''t even remember the last time I posted in a workout thread
7.gif
. I''ve been preparing for the 5K I''m running in on Sunday, but I haven''t run as much as I''d like. Tonight will probably be my last run before the race & I''ve just been not really feeling good while running lately.

I think I just need a swift kick of positive affirmations or something! Everyone posting here is doing such a great job - I should learn from you all!

I have been ultra-busy at work lately, and I''ve gotten in this bad habit of skipping lunch. I know it is terrible beacuse by the time I get home, I am exhausted, hungry and the last thing I feel like doing is working out. I know I need to just plan ahead, pack a good lunch with some healthy snacks and I''ll be better all around.

Ok, well I''ve vented enough about my short comings. Everyone tell me to get off my butt & into the gym!

Welcome to the workout thread Rod! You have made great accomplishments & I''m glad to have you here!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
See how bad I am? Clearly, the sports bra "thing" bugs a bunch of us
29.gif
I was one until recently who was staring at other women and thinking... "wow, wish I had the guts to do that..." or "maybe she doesn''t have a job and lives at the gym"
27.gif

okay, enough being mean... it just took a LOT of time and effort. I literally hadn''t worn a bikini since I was like 17?
7.gif
And I''m headed to the beach this weekend and am packing my recently-acquired bikini!!! YIPEE! So this is a great feeling to be getting back on track with things and not HATING how I look and being ashamed of my body!

KEEP IT UP... we''re all making progress
26.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/2/2006 5:37:36 PM
Author: *~*Danielle*~*
hi all! I am feeling ultra guilty as I have been extremely lazy. I don't even remember the last time I posted in a workout thread
7.gif
. I've been preparing for the 5K I'm running in on Sunday, but I haven't run as much as I'd like. Tonight will probably be my last run before the race & I've just been not really feeling good while running lately.

I think I just need a swift kick of positive affirmations or something! Everyone posting here is doing such a great job - I should learn from you all!

I have been ultra-busy at work lately, and I've gotten in this bad habit of skipping lunch. I know it is terrible beacuse by the time I get home, I am exhausted, hungry and the last thing I feel like doing is working out. I know I need to just plan ahead, pack a good lunch with some healthy snacks and I'll be better all around.

Ok, well I've vented enough about my short comings. Everyone tell me to get off my butt & into the gym!

Welcome to the workout thread Rod! You have made great accomplishments & I'm glad to have you here!
Thanks Danielle!!!! Notice I've highlighted the bad habit of skipping lunch........BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD

One reason you may not have the umph you need to have great runs is you're not getting enough nutrition. In addition to eating three healthy meals a day, I keep a big tub of raw almonds and raisons in my desk. I use them as additional meals, so I eat at least 6 times a day. This helps to fuel those workouts and give you quicker recoveries between hard exercise.

Eat my friend. Your body will thank you and your performance and drive will improve!!!!
36.gif
35.gif

go to go......it's time for the gym. tonight we're doing an hour of free weights and our usual intense elliptical. cya all later

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LORELEI: congrats on quitting smoking!!! You''re awesome! I did read your last bold-print msg. to me in the last workout thread on LIW...I responded but I think that was on Saturday night so I think you may not have seen it.

Anyway, rather than copy and paste I will say I haven''t made the leap quite yet. I am a total social smoker and can go days still without smoking and not miss it, but for some reason when I have a drink in my hand and am around friends who smoke I do indulge myself still.
6.gif
I know I need to quit completely and am having trouble getting my mind set to do so... you know, you can only quit when you feel you are totally ready and no one else can tell you differently.

I am really proud of your efforts. I can''t justify at all typing out responses of encouragement to you...that is very hypocritical of me and I won''t do it, but just know that I am happy for you and your LUNGS, lol! You are an inspiration.
36.gif

Well, as far as working out I have still been a lazy bum. It''s so damn hot here (I know, I''m a big baby as far as the heat...if I go outside in 98 degree weather it had better be lounging on a boat in the middle of a lake or ocean while I''m getting a nice skin cancer forming tan.) Anywho, how can one survive a workout when she''s only been eating nice ripe tomatoes and cucumbers and sprouts, while the MSN articles she''s been reading tell her to avoid protein during the heat because protein takes more energy to digest? I feel that as long as I am conserving energy in the house, I should be conserving energy in my body as well, LOL
9.gif
. I know, I''m totally full of sh*t. Ha ha! But seriously, if your lights were flickering due to "brownouts" (yes, it''s a word, look it up), you''d be staying inside until 9 p.m. too, coming out only to water your poor wilted flowers. Currently, we have every light in the house OFF, A/C and ceiling fans running, a ton of laundry piled up, dishes done only late at night, and the computer and t.v. on. Hmmm...do I want to work out? NO! *adamantly shaking head*!!!
38.gif

Ah, but there is a silver lining here...after almost a 3 week heat spell, we are due for rain and 80+ degree weather all weekend. So MAYBE I will venture out at that point. Lord knows I''m atrophying as I type.
20.gif

Anyone watching "Workout" on Bravo? I LOVE it! It''s at least inspiration for me while I lay on the couch and watch, trying not to melt, hee hee.
9.gif
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm back from my trip...lots of walking and lots of good food and bad drinks (vodka mojitos anyone?? at least i passed on the margaritas since they were 800ish calories and the mojitos were only 400ish...hee hee)...
2.gif
. i am DYING to get to my class tomorrow and start working out again!! i walked about 3 miles yesterday like on the way to the convention center, then back to the hotel, then out to dinner then back from dinner and then i went out for a brisk 15 minute walk before bed as well, then did some pushups and situps and stretches (to the amusement of my coworker friend/hotel roomie...hee hee). today we walked about 4miles according to my pedometer but it wasn't a fast brisk walk so i don't know if it really counts. it was more like trailing around the convention center and to and from the hotel. but my butt is pretty darn sore so i do feel like it's not like i just did nothing for the last day and a half. plus lugging your traveling stuff around takes some muscles too. hehee.

anyway, i was catching up on this thread...i totally wanted to add in my agreement on the pet peeve about being checked out while you work out. i am kind of a busty girl, not like a DD or anything but they are kinda big and i HATE HATE HATE constrictive tops, it's like a mental thing and i feel like if it's too tight i can't breathe. i also don't like bras in general...which doesn't really always work since i am a full C basically. i do have a few sports bras i wear to class sometimes but i hate them and i always wish for less constrictive things. however, if i do wear less constrictive things (aka those tanks with built in bras kinda things) then i feel like they are bouncing all over and in kickboxing with lots of cardio, that's the last thing you want. also there are a few guys in the class and there are some that come for karate after and i always see them checking us girls out...it drives me nuts. i'm pouring sweat, hair stuck all over, reading to die and these is some 19 year old guy checking out the chicks. i try my best death stare at that point. why why why can't guys table the hormones during times like this, i mean come on, do they really think that gals are working out to impress THEM? not!!! last nite while out walking, wearing full pant sweats and a tank with a shelf bra kinda thing and flip flops on my brisk walk at like 11pm at night on a busy street...i got two cars that whistled at me. i ignore them but inside i am like HELLO is this how you think i want to pick up men? PLEASE. get over yourselves. and it's NOT flattering to be goggled at or whistled at or anything like that in my opinion. it feels like an invasion of privacy.
14.gif
oh the funny thing is that i don't care if girls look at me since i know they typically are more comparative and not lavicious..and i always wonder if they are judging positively or negatively...which i don't really care about either way. i totally LOVE checking out the chicks in my kbox class because some of them are in stellar shape from coming all the time...especially that one pregnant gal who is there like 4x a week, she is in tip top shape and she looks fab and muscular but healthy. it's really inspiring to me!!

cinderella, i was looking for those peasant pie things last time i was at WF and i didnt see them. i will have to check out that website then see if i can recgonize packaging or something next time i go. i am intrigued now. hehee.

oh and lastly, coda, i wanted to second TG who said that marathon training can be hit or miss...my dad runs marathons and has done triathalons and is a huge sportsman and he totally has his off days sometimes. he has run countless 10ks and marathons and halfs and some days he just can't make it happen. there have been times when he had stellar times, and other days when he got a cramp and was way off his time, or didn't drink enough water or it was too hot or he just was not on his game that day. it's disappointing i am sure, but don't put too much pressure on yourself. you are doing what you can and that is great! tips my dad has shared with greg re running has to do with things like carbo loading before running, drinking enough water (big big big on a hot day especially), and listening to your body. if you feel tired when you start you may not want to push too hard that day kinda thing, or try to push past it but if you can't, don't punish yourself. anyway, you are doing fab, just stick with it and do your best.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the encouragement Monnie, TravelingGal and Dixie!
35.gif

Monnie, I think that is key, you need to be truly ready to quit, it took me many times of psyching myself up to do it and now I finally feel mentally confident that I can beat this addiction. This morning I had a nasty shock with my diet soda, it tasted like a melted coke flavour popsicle
23.gif
I don''t know, I have been in for some weird taste sensations this week, wouldn''t it be good if veggies started tasting nice?
37.gif

I had a good workout this morning, my usual and it went very well. I am cranking the tension higher on the elliptical and notice that I am getting faster too so all in all good progress!

Great job everyone!

* smoke free for 6 days*

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, TravelingGal and Mara for the encouragement. I guess I was upset because I felt pretty good physically, but my mind let me down. Oh well, I''m not giving up yet. I took a night off last night, but I''m going to do a 5 mile run tonight, and probably the same tomorrow night. It''s supposed to finally cool off some this weekend, so I''m going to try and do a long run probably on Saturday. If I can''t complete the long run in decent weather, then I''m going to rethink my goal. But, if I have a successful run, I''ll keep on with the training.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coda, sometimes even though I am nowhere as fit as you or do the amount of training you do, my mind does let me down too. If I am fretting and fussing about something ( as I do) for example - not saying you were, but if your mind is otherwise occupied and you are maybe not feeling like the running, sometimes our minds do a pretty good job of sabotaging us. I cannot imagine how you are coping with that terrible heat on the East Coast you have had, don''t worry about it, the heat is exhausting - you will get back into it!
35.gif

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
This morning I''m laughing at myself for being such a whiner yesterday! My fi & I went to the gym around 8 pm last night & by the time we were on the treadmills it was already 8:20. The gym closes at 9 pm, and I was really determined to finish 3 miles. Lately I''d been finishing the three miles in over 40 minutes so I was convinced I wouldn''t get it all in.

Well, I don''t know what happened, but I beat my best treadmill time ever! I finished the 3 miles in 37:27 as the gym was dark and completely empty! It felt so good! I don''t know if it was what I was eating yesterday or the fact that I had a power bar on our way there or what (maybe the constraint that I HAD to finish in under 40). I usually do a combination of 65% running, 35% walking. Yesterday I walked the first 2 minutes as a warm up, then ran until I was at the 1.5 mile mark (around 17 minutes). Then I walked a whole lap (about 5 minutes cause I was going pretty slow!) and then I basically ran the rest of the 1.25 miles. I think I stopped to walk for about 30 seconds to catch my breath.

So now that I''ve had one good run, I feel excited for the race this weekend. The race isn''t until Sunday, so I may get in another run tomorrow if I have time (the gym closes at 7 & it is wayyyyyyyy too hot out to run in the middle of the day right now). I convinced 3 of my other friends to run in the race this weekend, so it''ll be 6 of us all together.

Rod - I know that not eating lunch is probably the worst thing I could do for myself. I really have to make it a priority and realize that the work will still be here when I return
2.gif
. I actually went home during lunch time yesterday and finished off the rest of the pasta we had the night before. It was so yummy & I''m sure that contributed to my good run yesterday!

Aussie - congrats on the new bikini! I wear a 2 piece at the beach, but I am always thinking I could be looking better!

Lorelei - keep up the good work on quitting smoking. I''ve never been a smoker, but had plenty of friends who did. When they quit, I see the struggle they went through (especially in social/drinking situations). So I commend your efforts & just continue to think positively!

Ok, I''ve rambled quite a bit. I hope everyone stays cool and can keep up their workouts (Monarch, I''m looking at you
2.gif
).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey y''all...

well, last night was good. I was sitting in my office pretty late working and also reading/writing here on PS. Read this thread again and grudgingly hauled myself to the gym at 9:30 pm. An hour of elliptical and half our of strength training. When I was sittinig here, I had to remind myself how great I feel when I come home from the gym...

Hm...I don''t think I''ve been checked out at the gym...or I''ve never noticed. I usually go late...around 9 pm and my gym is empty (it''s a crappy, small gym). Plus for weight training, they have a separate little women''s room, which I''ve really come to appreciate.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/3/2006 9:52:57 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Hey y''all...

well, last night was good. I was sitting in my office pretty late working and also reading/writing here on PS. Read this thread again and grudgingly hauled myself to the gym at 9:30 pm. An hour of elliptical and half our of strength training. When I was sittinig here, I had to remind myself how great I feel when I come home from the gym...

Hm...I don''t think I''ve been checked out at the gym...or I''ve never noticed. I usually go late...around 9 pm and my gym is empty (it''s a crappy, small gym). Plus for weight training, they have a separate little women''s room, which I''ve really come to appreciate.
Good for you TravelingGal........Do you find that you have difficulty sleeping when you work out pretty hard that late in the evening? I find the endorphen rush makes it harder for me to fall asleep, but once I do, I sleep pretty soundly. I try to get to the gym by 6:30 PM and be home by 9:30. I''m not a morning person. Never will be. So getting up early and hitting the gym before work is out of the question.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2006 9:57:04 AM
Author: Rod

Hey y''all...

Good for you TravelingGal........Do you find that you have difficulty sleeping when you work out pretty hard that late in the evening? I find the endorphen rush makes it harder for me to fall asleep, but once I do, I sleep pretty soundly. I try to get to the gym by 6:30 PM and be home by 9:30. I''m not a morning person. Never will be. So getting up early and hitting the gym before work is out of the question.
Nope...I have a gift...I can sleep anywhere anytime anyplace. LOL...I just think I''m lazy....

Working out at night makes me fall asleep faster. But then again, when I come at 11, I usually dilly dally for awhile...taking a shower (which helps me relax) and getting ready for bed. An hour later I''m pooped and ready for bed.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/3/2006 10:03:33 AM

Date: 8/3/2006 9:57:04 AM

Hey y'all...

Hm...I don't think I've been checked out at the gym...or I've never noticed. I usually go late...around 9 pm and my gym is empty (it's a crappy, small gym). Plus for weight training, they have a separate little women's room, which I've really come to appreciate.
Good for you TravelingGal........Do you find that you have difficulty sleeping when you work out pretty hard that late in the evening? I find the endorphen rush makes it harder for me to fall asleep, but once I do, I sleep pretty soundly. I try to get to the gym by 6:30 PM and be home by 9:30. I'm not a morning person. Never will be. So getting up early and hitting the gym before work is out of the question.
Nope...I have a gift...I can sleep anywhere anytime anyplace. LOL...I just think I'm lazy....

Working out at night makes me fall asleep faster. But then again, when I come at 11, I usually dilly dally for awhile...taking a shower (which helps me relax) and getting ready for bed. An hour later I'm pooped and ready for bed.
You're lucky......But then you're probably young too and your body still makes plenty of melatonin naturally. I'm not a good sleeper anymore. Oh the joys of getting older.........
23.gif

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I was really good yesterday, up until dinnertime. I ate moderately throughout the day; mainly grazed, instead of eating big meals. Then went to the gym and ran 2.5 miles at 1.5 incline (I''ve heard that the incline mimics running outdoors), and did some weight machines.

Then dinnertime rolled around and my bf and I met up with friends for some shabu shabu. It was all you can eat, and it''s one of my favorites, so I went WAY over my calorie limit because of that one meal. The glass of wine I had afterwards didn''t help matters either. *Sigh* Well, back on track today. I will be doing either an outdoor 2 mile run or hitting kickboxing class later. BUT the good news is that I saw a couple of people yesterday that I haven''t seen for a while and they commented on my weight loss. Made me feel good.

I''ve found that I now actually enjoy the feeling of a good workout. I used to hate working out before, but now when I miss one, I get really antsy and am *convinced* that I''ve lost muscle tone and gained fat, even if I just go two days without it. Must be the endorphin rush addiction.

And good job Danielle! I do 3 miles in roughly the same amount of time as you, and depending on how I feel that day, my time would either be slightly worse or slightly better. And as for lunch, try keeping something that''s healthy that would last for the week or so in the fridge at work. I''m working from home, so my solution is to buy a week''s worth of peasant pies that I keep mentioning and eat one of those every 3 hours or so during the day. They''re like complete mini meals.

TravelingGal, glad to see this thread helped! I go to the gym sometimes at 9:30 pm, and I sometimes find that I get a better workout that way. Maybe because the gym is empty so the air''s slightly cooler in there? Or I''m just a major night owl. Don''t know.

Rod, about sleeping, it may be hereditary. My mom, sis, and I can fall asleep just about anywhere and at any time of the day. What I have noticed though, is that I tend to not sleep as well if I miss a workout for the day, so that''s an added incentive for me to go exercise.

Keep up the good work everyone!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2006 10:07:36 AM

You''re lucky......But then you''re probably young too and your body still makes plenty of melatonin naturally. I''m not a good sleeper anymore. Oh the joys of getting older.........
23.gif
I guess at 33, I am still pretty young. But I''m pretty sure it''s a gift. It''s scary sometimes how easily I can just roll over and fall asleep!

Tonight wasn''t the best. My body is sore and I did eat out for dinner, although less than I would have in the past. I''ve worked out every day this week and I am debating if I want to do a pilates DVD right now, or just give myself a much needed break. The thing is there isn''t much time for workouts tomorrow. Maybe I will get a run in the morning sometime...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I worked out tonite too, I was a little tired feeling but I tried to push through. I got a little dizzy at the end, not sure if I stopped too quickly or what...but I hate that nausea feeling with lightheadedness ugh! Then I came home and did 200 jumping jacks...hahaa...extra punishment for all the crap I ate over the last two days!! Dinner was a chicken burrito from this local place...probably somewhat healthy but the burrito was huge. hehee. But I was starving!

Tomorrow night we are celebrating Greg''s birthday with friends, so that will be a full on Mexican meal with mega margaritas...but I hope to get a 2m walk in tomorrow before dinner. Maybe some more jumping jacks and then some situps to round it out for a home workout.
5.gif

Everyone is doing fabulously...!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No gym this morning as it was closed, but we have been looking at free weights and might buy some of those to do some at home.

Foodwise has been going well, I have been eating carefully and simply this week due to the non smoking. It seems that smoking plays havoc with your blood sugar levels as I don't seem to get hungry suddenly any more, but more gradually and that is the only thing I can think of, a good thing.

We have to load 35 bales of hay later, so that will be today's workout!

Great job everyone, what a great week we have had and it is nearly the weekend!
36.gif
Mara wish Greg happy birthday from all of us and have a great meal and eat what you want - you deserve it!

* SMOKE FREE 7 DAYS*

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on reaching one week Lorelei!!! I love that you have that as your sig - perfect! Make sure you put your cigarette money away to save for a special treat/reward for yourself! You'd be surprised how quickly it will add up!

I am off for a brisk walk and am looking forward to the long weekend. Yesterday I had a bad food day - I just couldn't let my craving for a Harvey's cheeseburger go on any longer!
31.gif
I will get back on track today with healthy eating!

TG - I wish I had the gift of easy sleep! I struggle with insomnia sometimes and it is no fun. My father can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, as can my husband. Since you have trouble Rod, there goes my theory that men don't have that problem!
2.gif
I do know lots of women that have trouble sleeping, but perhaps men don't discuss it as much as women do.

Mara, a Happy Birthday to Greg! You must be going on your trip soon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results