shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread July 31st to August 6th

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning to all.

As we discussed, the thread has now been moved to FHH. How are we all doing? Mara it does make me so jealous about Hubby''s fast weight loss, he has dumped 20 pounds now and is gloating and is positively sick making about his success. I am proud of him, but I can''t help being jealous about all the compliments he says he is getting and his smug contentment with himself!! Also he has quit smoking a month ago, so he is most saintly about that too - which he deserves to be! I have just started to quit smoking too and I hope the gym will stop any weight gain if I continue to eat right. Hubby only has 7 pounds to lose now. It isn''t fair that women have to struggle so hard to lose one measly pound it seems
40.gif

Well I did the usual this morning and it went well, looking forward to getting greater stamina and endurance now I am no longer poisoning my lungs. I am a very nervy type of person so I am on the nicotine gum to give me a replacement for the cigarettes and it is helping. Day three today and I will do it this time.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Good morning!

I will be focusing on increasing the intensity of my walks this week and drinking even more water too. I have been noticing I haven''t been drinking as much as I usually do and that makes a big difference in how I feel.

I am still battling the allure of the summer munchies, but I am getting a bit better.....

I hope everyone has a healthy and productive week!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was reading in our new workout bible that drinking water really helps your stamina with working out and that you do feel much better if you drink enough of it. I am sitting here with my 3rd pint today, but it isn't easy to keep it up, I would far rather have a soda!

Also my skin looks great too for all the water - you can do it Heather!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lorelei!! I was a water diva for many years, but I need to increase my intake to get back to where I was before!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found it helped to plan my water around my day, I am lucky in as much that I can drink a lot ( 1 pint) quickly, so I have one pt before and after my workout ( half and half), one mid morning, one after lunch and one at dinner and this works for me. I think once you start to drink it and make it a habit, it gets much easier and the results as you know are so worth it! It sounds like a cliche, but my skin really is glowy since I became a camel!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Morning Ladies,

Yes, water water water. I''m a huge believer in making sure you''re hydrated enough, particularly on a workout day. Nothing will improve your stamina better than a few quarts/pints of water!!!

Today starts a whole new workout week. Tonight a 3 mile run. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday gym workouts, 2 hours each. Saturday, training with our trainer and Sunday, a 2 hour workout followed by an evening 4 mile walk.

I hope everyone sets (realistic) goals for the week and keeps most of them!!
36.gif

Also, thank you Lorelei for taking this thread to the Family, Home and Health forum. I won''t feel goofy here like I did on the LIW side!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome Rod! I know when the thread first began it was posted in LIW and it just became habit really, but FHH is really the best and most logical place for it, especially since we have been doing the weekly thread. Our little gang is doing great!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just need to get some of the guys on this forum to also participate. Hmmmmmm, I wonder if Storm is a fitness guy????? LOL

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i did my usual as well this morning. 30 minutes cardio. i did 15 on the treadmill - each minute i increased the incline by 1 full number. i topped at 10. then i got off and did the eliptical at the highest incline and at 4 resistance.

i am playing around with the idea of going to the gym in the mornings and after work too. in the mornings i could do 30 minutes of cardio and in the afternoons, weights. it''s just making the effort to go to the gym! i don''t know why it''s so yucky sounding in my head?! i feel fab. after a work-out & i like the results, what gives??

i also have thought about getting a workout plan done for me specifically. they do that free at my gym. i could tell them what results i would want and they could do a routine for me. now, if i could just make the effort...

also, after reading the posts, i need more water! note to self! i don''t even drink sodas hardly at all. i always drink water. but just not nearly enough! i probably drink a frighteningly small amount of it~

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2006 11:01:38 AM
Author: jcrow
i did my usual as well this morning. 30 minutes cardio. i did 15 on the treadmill - each minute i increased the incline by 1 full number. i topped at 10. then i got off and did the eliptical at the highest incline and at 4 resistance.

i am playing around with the idea of going to the gym in the mornings and after work too. in the mornings i could do 30 minutes of cardio and in the afternoons, weights. it's just making the effort to go to the gym! i don't know why it's so yucky sounding in my head?! i feel fab. after a work-out & i like the results, what gives??

I certainly have difficulty motivating myself to get to the gym 5 days a week. Don't feel bad about it, but do be careful about being able to keep up with a twice daily routine. It may seem logical, but it may be more difficult to keep that up. Just a thought..........

i also have thought about getting a workout plan done for me specifically. they do that free at my gym. i could tell them what results i would want and they could do a routine for me. now, if i could just make the effort...

Great idea!!! We mere mortals can only take ourselves to certain levels before we hit plateaus. I find having a customized plan from my trainer helps me avoid staying at a plateau too long. One trick to remember is that muscles are amazingly smart things. They tend to benefit to a certain point, but become accustomed to certain activities. The best way to move ahead is to "mix it up" and constantly change one's routine. Otherwise our muscles become complacent and we become frustrated.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jcrow, it is your subconcious which might be stopping you from doing the gym again. I think Rod is right, maybe twice a day is too much, try to fit in one session when it is most convenient to you then go from there. It is hardest to begin but when you get going and get results again so worth it!

Try with the water too, I used to LOATHE and resent drinking water, but it has made such a difference I drink my 4 pints like a good girl every day!
16.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i personally don't like the gym at all...so it would be really hard for me to force myself to go if that was my only option. i honestly don't think i would be as active if i only had the gym. but my kickboxing classes are held in a karate studio and so it's like pretty easy. just go to the studio. i don't have to think about getting to the gym and what i am going to to do when i get to the gym or what the routine for the day is or anything. i just go to the studio, put my stuff down, stretch and then boom. class for 40 minutes then i'm done. i do belong to a gym with a cheap lifetime membership, my mom and sister go there, but i just don't have any motivation to get to the gym. though i was thinking i might have to get over there and use the treadmill on those super hot days we were having here when i couldn't walk outside. but we just went walking at night. my mom is trying to get me to take this yoga class they love on sunday mornings. i am like SUNDAY? sheesh! hehe.

so i hear ya on the mental block kind of thing jcrow. i think for me....working out long term really has to do with how much i like the exercise. for example walking...i never used to be a walker at all. but now i just love it. i feel like my muscles stretch longer with each stride, it helps me regulate my breathing, i can listen to music, it doesn't hurt after doing it for an hour...it's just very relaxing but with mega benefits. and it's something greg and i can do together, and portia benefits too, etc. so i think once i find something like that (kickboxing has been a fave exercise for almost 6 years for me)...i just tend to stick with it more. maybe something like that would help you...a fave class, or fave machine or doing something outside of the gym. not everyone is a gym person!!

re: water intake...water is so good for you it's insane! hehee. not only does it have the benefits already all mentioned here, but it also helps your body digest your food more effectively. and also if you do not drink enough water while working out, you know your muscles can become dehydrated? imagine a dehydrated muscle...it does not sound very appealing does it? and then it really can limit your workout and how far you can go. so make that 30 minutes at the gym or in a class count for you....prep your body so you can make the most of it.

also i read recently that you should consume a protein source within 60 minutes of working out...to help your muscles rebuild more quickly. i try to keep this in mind when i am working out then having dinner afterwards, to try to eat more protein than carbs or at least be sure i get enough protein in. if it's in the morning, eggs would be a great protein source, turkey sausage or similar. for evening, we typically go and have sushi or we get chicken burritos or something. we eat a lot of meat in general, and i try to just pay attn when we eat our evening meal after a hard workout. if you don't consume enough protein within that period of time, it could take your body longer to recover between workouts, which could mean more soreness in between as well!

so last nite we went for a 3m walk which was awesome...it would have been 4m but Portia twisted her arm or something while out there and started limping so we had to carry her home, an extra workout we didn't intend, but quite effective....carrying an 18lb dog a mile...hehee. i was a little worried as it was a definite injury, she didn't even want to lay with any pressure on the paw, but i cleaned her paw, put some neosporin on it (even though i think it was a bone/muscle thing, but with a hairy dog sometimes you have no idea or can't see into the paw that well, so why not treat it with neosporin, hehee...) and put a baby sock on it (which was pretty funny) so she couldn't keep licking it....and this morning she seems to be better. which is good since i was worried it was a horrible injury and we'd have to go see the vet today. but hopefully not!

in any case, workout tonite, and then i am traveling tomorrow and wed for work...so i won't workout again til thurs night. i'll be walking a ton on wednesday for this show we'll be at...last year we did about 6 miles around the show floor (i had a pedometer), so that's good. i am pretty happy with our two 3m walks this weekend...especially since i worked out on saturday. i did have a baskin robbins mint choco chip scoop but i figured i deserved it, hahaa. sometimes you just gotta have the ice cream!
5.gif

OH and Lorelei, kudos for the quitting smoking, you can do it!!!!! And congrats to hubby as well!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2006 1:18:57 PM
Author: Mara
well i personally don''t like the gym at all...so it would be really hard for me to force myself to go if that was my only option. i honestly don''t think i would be as active if i only had the gym. but my kickboxing classes are held in a karate studio and so it''s like pretty easy. just go to the studio. i don''t have to think about getting to the gym and what i am going to to do when i get to the gym or what the routine for the day is or anything. i just go to the studio, put my stuff down, stretch and then boom. class for 40 minutes then i''m done. i do belong to a gym with a cheap lifetime membership, my mom and sister go there, but i just don''t have any motivation to get to the gym. though i was thinking i might have to get over there and use the treadmill on those super hot days we were having here when i couldn''t walk outside. but we just went walking at night. my mom is trying to get me to take this yoga class they love on sunday mornings. i am like SUNDAY? sheesh! hehe.

so i hear ya on the mental block kind of thing jcrow. i think for me....working out long term really has to do with how much i like the exercise. for example walking...i never used to be a walker at all. but now i just love it. i feel like my muscles stretch longer with each stride, it helps me regulate my breathing, i can listen to music, it doesn''t hurt after doing it for an hour...it''s just very relaxing but with mega benefits. and it''s something greg and i can do together, and portia benefits too, etc. so i think once i find something like that (kickboxing has been a fave exercise for almost 6 years for me)...i just tend to stick with it more. maybe something like that would help you...a fave class, or fave machine or doing something outside of the gym. not everyone is a gym person!!

re: water intake...water is so good for you it''s insane! hehee. not only does it have the benefits already all mentioned here, but it also helps your body digest your food more effectively. and also if you do not drink enough water while working out, you know your muscles can become dehydrated? imagine a dehydrated muscle...it does not sound very appealing does it? and then it really can limit your workout and how far you can go. so make that 30 minutes at the gym or in a class count for you....prep your body so you can make the most of it.

also i read recently that you should consume a protein source within 60 minutes of working out...to help your muscles rebuild more quickly. i try to keep this in mind when i am working out then having dinner afterwards, to try to eat more protein than carbs or at least be sure i get enough protein in. if it''s in the morning, eggs would be a great protein source, turkey sausage or similar. for evening, we typically go and have sushi or we get chicken burritos or something. we eat a lot of meat in general, and i try to just pay attn when we eat our evening meal after a hard workout. if you don''t consume enough protein within that period of time, it could take your body longer to recover between workouts, which could mean more soreness in between as well!

so last nite we went for a 3m walk which was awesome...it would have been 4m but Portia twisted her arm or something while out there and started limping so we had to carry her home, an extra workout we didn''t intend, but quite effective....carrying an 18lb dog a mile...hehee. i was a little worried as it was a definite injury, she didn''t even want to lay with any pressure on the paw, but i cleaned her paw, put some neosporin on it (even though i think it was a bone/muscle thing, but with a hairy dog sometimes you have no idea or can''t see into the paw that well, so why not treat it with neosporin, hehee...) and put a baby sock on it (which was pretty funny) so she couldn''t keep licking it....and this morning she seems to be better. which is good since i was worried it was a horrible injury and we''d have to go see the vet today. but hopefully not!

in any case, workout tonite, and then i am traveling tomorrow and wed for work...so i won''t workout again til thurs night. i''ll be walking a ton on wednesday for this show we''ll be at...last year we did about 6 miles around the show floor (i had a pedometer), so that''s good. i am pretty happy with our two 3m walks this weekend...especially since i worked out on saturday. i did have a baskin robbins mint choco chip scoop but i figured i deserved it, hahaa. sometimes you just gotta have the ice cream!
5.gif

OH and Lorelei, kudos for the quitting smoking, you can do it!!!!! And congrats to hubby as well!
You''re absolutely right Mara!!! Shredding those muscles is one thing, helping them rebuild is another. I have made an investment in high quality Whey Protein powders at home. After a gym workout for two hours, I go home and take a scoop of the protein powder, with 8 ounces of fat free milk and put them in the blender with ice until I have a nice thick cold refreshing smoothie. They''ve done wonders with Whey Proteins these days. They actually taste pretty good. It''s best to be able to do this within 30 minutes of one''s workout, so if you can''t go home and make yourself a protein shake, stop by a Smoothie King or another smoothie type of business and most of them sell protein shakes that will help your muscles out.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2006 2:37:38 AM
Author:Lorelei
Good morning to all.

As we discussed, the thread has now been moved to FHH. How are we all doing? Mara it does make me so jealous about Hubby''s fast weight loss, he has dumped 20 pounds now and is gloating and is positively sick making about his success. I am proud of him, but I can''t help being jealous about all the compliments he says he is getting and his smug contentment with himself!! Also he has quit smoking a month ago, so he is most saintly about that too - which he deserves to be! I have just started to quit smoking too and I hope the gym will stop any weight gain if I continue to eat right. Hubby only has 7 pounds to lose now. It isn''t fair that women have to struggle so hard to lose one measly pound it seems
40.gif

Well I did the usual this morning and it went well, looking forward to getting greater stamina and endurance now I am no longer poisoning my lungs. I am a very nervy type of person so I am on the nicotine gum to give me a replacement for the cigarettes and it is helping. Day three today and I will do it this time.
Lorelei.........I hope you are successful on the quitting smoking front. I am ashamed to admit that I smoked for almost 30 years. In fact, it was one year ago this week that I put out my last cigarette and haven''t had one since. I was determined to not gain weight, so that''s the reason we joined the gym. I never dreamed I could accomplish so much by working out. Now, a year later, I would NEVER light up another cigarette (even though I will always miss them) again. Be careful with the nicotine replacements. They too can become addictive, but it''s better to be addicted to the gum or patch than the millions of horrible chemicals in tobacco, not to mention how much damage smoke is doing to your lungs. Also, don''t beat yourself up if you lapse. It took me many attempts to quit, but I kept trying. I tried the gum. I tried the patch, but this time, I went cold turkey and started exercising instead. I was in a fog for about a month and then the cravings just went away.

Anway, kudos on quitting. It''s the single best thing you can do to help your health. Period.
36.gif
36.gif

Your friend........

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it''s a new workout week! Hopefully it will be a good one for me. I was pretty sick last week, so I didn''t push myself too hard. I still worked out 4 times including yesterday, so I didn''t slack off too much. I didn''t get a long run in last week like I wanted to though. I just didn''t have the energy to do a 7+ mile run. I may try to run a long run tonight if I feel like it, but if not, I will run 5 miles.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW........7 mile run, even 5 mile run is a long long run. I recently started running and made it a measly 3 miles and thought I was doing something great. But 7 miles? That''s marathon territory.........
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was not at all good this weekend, but I knew I wasn''t going to be because I was throwing a bit of a get together with burgers! But it was so yummy!

Back on the wagon today with an afternoon run, I hope. Maybe an afternoon rollerblade...it''s just so much more fun. I have to kick it into high gear...I am doing so much traveling for work, and for those of us that travel for work, you know how the eating habits get.
15.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rod,
Question for you. My hubby is a little heavy. He works out and plays a lot of golf. I cook healthy meals but he must be snacking at the office. Now he wants to join Weight Watchers. Is that just for women?? Any suggestions for him?? Thanks, Lisa

Glad you are making such great progress!! That''s awesome!!!
1.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2006 3:25:53 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Rod,
Question for you. My hubby is a little heavy. He works out and plays a lot of golf. I cook healthy meals but he must be snacking at the office. Now he wants to join Weight Watchers. Is that just for women?? Any suggestions for him?? Thanks, Lisa

Glad you are making such great progress!! That''s awesome!!!
1.gif
Hey Kaleigh.........Your suspician that he must be snacking at the office could be right. Maybe when he plays golf, there might be a bit of beer drinking and snacking. (please don''t accuse him of this). I used to play golf for business and I''m not much of a drinker, but I found that a lot of golfers buy lot''s of beer and snacks from the snack carts that roam the courses. If your husband isn''t snacking his way through the workday or indulging on the golf course, he might want to visit his doctor. There are health reasons (nothing serious) like thyroid conditions that make it harder to lose weight.

I don''t know much about Weight Watchers, so I went to their website and I couldn''t find anything that says it''s only for women, but their adverstising is clearly aimed at women and they don''t show a single picture of a man. I guess he''d have to check with a local chapter and see if men are allowed.

Perhaps a better alternative might be to hire a nutritionist. There must be several in your city and they would be able to customize a meal plan to your husbands goals.

Hope this helps Kaleigh!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad did WW for when he started cycling very seriously, and needed to drop like 10 lbs or something to be lighter on his bike, and he still follows the plan for the most part...he loved it and it worked out well for him. If hubby has discipline it''s the way to go Lisa but if he is snacking while out then you can''t do much about that?? Maybe pack some healthy snacks for him? Stuff that is still tasty.

Though, I have found that by cooking healthy at home for us, Greg''s snacking while out (which he does do, pizza for lunch and cookies for snacks, coffees all day etc) doesn''t really seem to affect him too much. But he also does work out 2ce a week.

Does hubby drink Lisa? That is a quick way to pack on the pounds for men especially. If he cuts back on that it could really help.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa, as long as we''ve been communicating I tend to always respond to your Avatar name. I know you''re name is Lisa and my apologies for not remembering that to begin with
32.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mara and Rod. Nope hubby doesn't drink. The WW near us is mostly comprised of women. I have friends that go. He saw his doctor a while ago and is otherwise healthy. I think a nutritionist is a good idea
2.gif
He does have to take clients golfing and to dinner a lot. I think that's the problem all those dinners out. So WW would be good for him I think. As long as the women don't mind, hehe.
31.gif

ETA: Didn't mean to highjack this thread....
2.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2006 4:16:41 PM
Thanks Mara and Rod. Nope hubby doesn''t drink. The WW near us is mostly comprised of women. I have friends that go. He saw his doctor a while ago and is otherwise healthy. I think a nutritionist is a good idea
2.gif
He does have to take clients golfing and to dinner a lot. I think that''s the problem all those dinners out. So WW would be good for him I think. As long as the women don''t mind, hehe.
31.gif

ETA: Didn''t mean to highjack this thread....
2.gif
You''re certainly not hijacking the thread. We''re all here to talk health and fitness and your hubby''s health is important too!! I''ve done wonders since my company put a travel ban in place
28.gif
I actually hope it never ends. Eating out in restaurants, particularly the kind of restaurants that one has to take clients to can really do harm to the waistline. Glad to hear he''s not a drinker. Mara and I were perhaps a little less than subtle (I certainly can lack subtlety!!) on that subject.

WW could be good for him, but since there are more ladies than men there, tell him he can shop for food, but no company!
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we weren't unsubtle rod!
5.gif
i just meant does he drink at all...like 2 wines at dinner every night which is not uncommon for men...can add up! especially if they don't work out. i know when greg cuts back on his nightly beer or wine with dinner, it shows up right away in his waistline. people don't realize how many calories are in drinks in general.

kaleigh, so if you put him on WW then what would he do when he was out with the boys? he won't pull out a WW bar to snack on it, he'll just keep eating whatever they are eating. that's such a man thing. so i'd think about potential ways to curb that...heehee. hmmm. men!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2006 7:00:30 PM
Author: Mara
we weren''t unsubtle rod!
5.gif
i just meant does he drink at all...like 2 wines at dinner every night which is not uncommon for men...can add up! especially if they don''t work out. i know when greg cuts back on his nightly beer or wine with dinner, it shows up right away in his waistline. people don''t realize how many calories are in drinks in general.

kaleigh, so if you put him on WW then what would he do when he was out with the boys? he won''t pull out a WW bar to snack on it, he''ll just keep eating whatever they are eating. that''s such a man thing. so i''d think about potential ways to curb that...heehee. hmmm. men!
Yup, gotta figure that one out. It''s tough cause in his business he has to entertain a lot and travel. I thought the whole WW thing was they teach you how many points certain foods are, etc... He does try to have salads with dressing on the side, Oil and Vinagrette mostly and loves to eat fish. He doesn''t like heavy sauces, knows they are the kiss of death. He knows how to eat healthy, but eating out a lot there are hidden calories you just don''t know of I guess. Oh well, we will figure it out. Thanks!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2006 4:16:41 PM
Thanks Mara and Rod. Nope hubby doesn''t drink. The WW near us is mostly comprised of women. I have friends that go. He saw his doctor a while ago and is otherwise healthy. I think a nutritionist is a good idea
2.gif
He does have to take clients golfing and to dinner a lot. I think that''s the problem all those dinners out. So WW would be good for him I think. As long as the women don''t mind, hehe.
31.gif

ETA: Didn''t mean to highjack this thread....
2.gif
HI:

Lisa; a collegaue of my husbands has been on a weight reduction program since the NY and has lost 40 pounds. Altho this program is not WW, it is a program monitored by a MD. He visits the MD weekly and has some blood work done but I am not sure of specifics of that. The profile of this colleague may differ from your husband in that this man did consume ETOH; but is the same in that he eats out daily and much of his eating consisted of heavier meals when travelling or interaction with other clients/colleagues.

Sure, my DH has ranted about his progress, but I saw for myself at a party two week ago--and he did not look like the same man I saw at a Christmas party 2005. His will power was/has been remarkable and I appreciated his knowledge of food/nutrition toward better health. His lifestyle has changed, and as a result so has his life. My DH remarked to me that he was analyzing EVERY label and wanted to know every ingredient that was going into his entree...and would remark how much "fat/protein/carb/NACL" was in everything they ate.....I wish your husband success!!!!

no-hijackie-thread allowed!!!

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe he could work out more lisa? hehe i know easier said than done. do you already prepare healthy stuff at home?

one thing about eating out...most restaurants will be fine with people asking for fish with no butter or oils or having sauces on the side and things like that. also many times you can easily substitute side dishes for veggies or something. i was at the cheesecake factory for lunch with a client a few months ago, we never eat there....and i asked the guy what was healthy and he listed the few things on the menu and then also said you can order the fish special but with olive oil and no butter, and get a side of veggies or two sides of veggies if you want, whatever you want. they were very accommodating. and the fish was GOOD surprisingly. and i felt good about eating there. anyway...just something that surprised me...if he doesn''t mind askings servers he could probably be proactive about switching things out to fit what he wants to eat. also even sodas and things like that have a lot of calories in them as well.

i think that once people DO start to think about what is in food, it''s easier to make choices that are positive. sure we all like the creamy pasta or the ice cream cone or the caesar salad once in a while, but who wants that stuff ALL THE TIME??? anyway good luck girl, i''m sure you will figure something out, hee hee. women always do!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Hello all : ) Happy Monday!

Weight Watchers is definetly not just for women... both my uncle and male cousin started WW about 6 months ago and are doing great with it... Strange how all the commericals are about women though.

I hit the gym again today, split my cardio in half and did 33 minutes of elliptical before weight lifting, 33 minutes afterwards. I wasn''t sure if this was as effective as doing all the cardio at once, but I wasn''t feeling great at the end of the first program, so I took a break. Actually, looking at my distances for each 1/2, the total was better when I did it this way (2 shorter segments) than what I''d previously done (1 long segment).

Any thoughts on what might best help one lose weight??

And anyone else get toe cramps?? I usually don''t except occasionally when I swim... but today, definite toe cramping! I HATE those... Rod I know you''ll say... "stretch first!" but honestly, do you stretch your toes out before a workout??
41.gif

Aussiegirl : p

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aussiegirl, yep, you got me. Stretch Stretch Stretch.......LOL. Actualy, I have had toe cramps and they're no fun. Now, I don't know if you get them doing certain activities. For example, I've gotten them after 30 minutes on the elliptical and I've gotten them running. Someone told me I was likely wearing the wrong shoe, or at least the wrong shoe size, so I went to one of those higher end athletic shoe stores and I learned I was wearing the wrong shoe for my foot and the wrong size.

I recommend you go to a specialty athletic shoe store and have them see if you pronate or supinate. They'll measure your stance and you'll probably find that if you buy an athletic shoe 1/2 size larger than you would for a street shoe, your foot will have more room to expand. Remember, it get's hot down there and tends to swell during exercise, so giving your feet a little more room can help overcome cramping.

One final note, at least for the elliptical. If you tie your shoes too tightly, they'll cramp easily. I make a mental note before getting on the elliptical to loosen my shoe laces and that helps a lot.

I hope this helps you.........

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Hey, just wanted to say I started going to the gym again recently. This thread is very helpful!! Thanks : )

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results