shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread, August 7-12

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Mara, so sorry you feel lousy : ( Those summer colds always are 10X worse than in the winter... It''s so nice out and you feel lousy - NOT fair!
8.gif
But you sound like you''re feeling better at this point, and getting back into k-boxing surely will boost your spirits a bit. And by the way - if you''re able to taste those awesome home-made cookies, you can''t be feeling TOO terrible, huh
31.gif
Just kidding!

Lorelei: AWESOME about your 13 days!! You''re almost to 2 weeks... which means you''re doing spectacularly! Keep it up!

Rod: your list of pet peeves had me cracking up here at work... when I should be quiet and well, serious! But I''m with you about bike paths or running paths - people on cell phones should be hunted down and strangled!
29.gif
They ignore "on your left," meander in the middle of the path, have eratic paces (depending on the conversation) and are totally oblivious! ARGH!

Jcrow - sounds like you''re really getting back into things... CONGRATS! I hear you about incline on the treadmill. Sometimes I can bump up the incline 1 or 2 notches, and keep going as if there was no change. And it''s even better for me : ) and I hardly notice!

Dixie: okay, I''m impressed with your boyfriend - records for over 15 years? YIKES! But you sound like you''re doing good too! Need inspiration? Set some performance goals for yourself. Skip the weight goal (that''s a yucky one). Try getting maybe 1/4 mile further on your treadmill walks, or maybe bump up your rpm''s on the elliptical by 10. It sounds silly to make numbers so "important" but sometimes, those little jumps in the numbers help me remember that I am making progress : )

BEST of luck to all of you : )

Off for my workout,
Aussiegirl : p

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks for welcoming me to this workout thread!
35.gif

Appraisers sit all day with their necks bent over their equipment. It''s so important to get up and stretch or take a short walk
when you have a desk job.

You know that you are on the right track when you feel awful (guilty) for skipping a workout session. I''ll be joining a gym next month but

I just can''t give up my Jujitsu class. Keep on truckin'' everyone and STAY FOCUSED
2.gif

Jeff

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Modified Brilliant,

Okay, I''m laughing : ) Your name sounded familiar, then I realized that you''re the appraiser in Boston I''ve got all picked out to bring my ring to... when I get it!

Now I''ll just have to keep a straight face when I show up... and not picture you doing Brazilian jujitsu!

Very cool how we get a multi-dimensional look at people here on PriceScope
9.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2006 5:09:13 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant

You know that you are on the right track when you feel awful (guilty) for skipping a workout session. I''ll be joining a gym next month but

Jeff
you make an excellent point!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2006 5:24:04 PM
Author: jcrow

Date: 8/11/2006 5:09:13 PM

Jeff
you make an excellent point!
Well, I have this recurring nightmare that since I''ve lost 8 inches from my waist and 50 pounds that if I miss a session, I''ll instantly become fat, out of breath and none of my new clothes will fit. I mean, just in clothing, this losing weight has cost me a fortune. I couldn''t possibly afford to buy clothes all over again. My philosophy was that as I lost the weight and my clothes became too big, they had to go. Keeping them gave me permission to gain the weight back. And that''s something I would not allow. So, now that I''ve bought a completely new wardrobe, I can''t afford to skip workouts. EVER.
23.gif

Jeff.....Thanks for being the "other" guy on the workout thread. Now, you just have to join the gym and actually go!!
36.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2006 5:35:39 PM
Author: Rod

Well, I have this recurring nightmare that since I''ve lost 8 inches from my waist and 50 pounds that if I miss a session, I''ll instantly become fat, out of breath and none of my new clothes will fit. I mean, just in clothing, this losing weight has cost me a fortune. I couldn''t possibly afford to buy clothes all over again. My philosophy was that as I lost the weight and my clothes became too big, they had to go. Keeping them gave me permission to gain the weight back. And that''s something I would not allow. So, now that I''ve bought a completely new wardrobe, I can''t afford to skip workouts. EVER.
23.gif

Jeff.....Thanks for being the ''other'' guy on the workout thread. Now, you just have to join the gym and actually go!!
36.gif
Rod, you keep making me laugh... because I too INSIST on getting rid of clothes that no longer fit me. I mean I don''t have crazily impressive "fat pants" like Jared from Subway or anything, but my local Salvation Army either loves me, or thinks I''m nuts! But seriously, those "bigger" clothes have NO place in my closet anymore... I will NOT wear them!
9.gif

I got back from the gym with a big smile on my face.
Elliptical Weight Loss Program x2:
-66 minutes
-8.56 miles
-937.1 calories

I''m a dork, I know... but NUMBERS and stats keep me happy... This is an all time best for me! Woohoo!
26.gif
(Dixie, you wanted inspiration? There''s MY accomplishment for today!)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow aussie...937 calories?!?! you go girl!! and here i was impressed with my walking 250 on the treadmill. haha.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Mara, I should put calories in quotations... they''re "elliptical calories" which I''m not 100% sure about... But no matter what they really represent... it''s more than I''ve done before. Everything''s relative, right?

Are you feeling any better? HOPE so!!! Sending your immune system a boost (like sparkly vibes to impatient LIW)
41.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2006 7:48:51 PM
Author: aussiegirl23

Date: 8/11/2006 5:35:39 PM
Author: Rod

23.gif

Jeff.....Thanks for being the ''other'' guy on the workout thread. Now, you just have to join the gym and actually go!!
36.gif
Rod, you keep making me laugh... because I too INSIST on getting rid of clothes that no longer fit me. I mean I don''t have crazily impressive ''fat pants'' like Jared from Subway or anything, but my local Salvation Army either loves me, or thinks I''m nuts! But seriously, those ''bigger'' clothes have NO place in my closet anymore... I will NOT wear them!
9.gif

I got back from the gym with a big smile on my face.
Elliptical Weight Loss Program x2:
-66 minutes
-8.56 miles
-937.1 calories

I''m a dork, I know... but NUMBERS and stats keep me happy... This is an all time best for me! Woohoo!
26.gif
(Dixie, you wanted inspiration? There''s MY accomplishment for today!)

You Rock Aussiegirl!!! That''s absolutely, positively, utterly and completely wonderful and you are NO DORK. Keep that up and Rod see''s even more new clothes in your closet!!!!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/11/2006 5:19:33 PM
Modified Brilliant,

Okay, I''m laughing : ) Your name sounded familiar, then I realized that you''re the appraiser in Boston I''ve got all picked out to bring my ring to... when I get it!

Now I''ll just have to keep a straight face when I show up... and not picture you doing Brazilian jujitsu!

Very cool how we get a multi-dimensional look at people here on PriceScope
9.gif

35.gif
that''s funny!!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Mara told me where to find you guys again. Sadly, I have nothing to add as far as being good and keeping up the routine. But at least now when I get back on board, I''ll lknow where to come, or where to come to get back in the mood to be on routine again.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Final exams put the kibosh on the working out for a couple of days, but DH and I made it back to the gym for another hour and 15 minutes of Racquetball after work today. I''m getting a lot better at it... actually making contact with the ball about 80% of the time!
1.gif

I got the schedule of classes I''ll be instructing at the Rec Center this semester... I''m going to be teaching a Bootcamp class, a Turbo Kick class (my fave
9.gif
), and a Step class, and maybe one other Turbo Kick class. The classes are all at 6:15am, so I''m crossing my fingers that I''ll have enough participants in the mornings! This will also be my first time teaching a Bootcamp class, so that should be interesting. I think I''m going to do it as an interval circuit-training sort of thing... Basically, we''ll do cardio, strength training, drills, and abs stations, in decreasing time intervals... I''m still working out the logistics! I''d appreciate any suggestions yall have!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fishie don''t worry - come on back when you are ready!

Wow Mara - the foods sound so yummy and I can imagine my Hubby weeping with jealousy about the crab cakes, they are one of his most favourite dishes EVER! The cookies sound...so wonderful....
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Thank you for filling me in with the food, it is my bit of indulgent knowledge which makes a nice change from the pie and chips which is considered good fare around here!
32.gif
Glad you got back safely and I hope the cold is better. Summer colds are always worse than winter ones I think, I always suffer more with them.

15 DAYS SMOKE FREE
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I don''t know guys, I really don''t want to count my chickens as the saying goes, but I am down to 2 or 3 pieces of gum a day and not thinking about cigarettes hardly at all....It has been much easier this week! I have been so so tired still, but I think it is my body adjusting and part of the foggies as Rod calls them. My body is probably shocked now it doesn''t have it''s daily dose of toxic chemicals
23.gif

No workouts this weekend as I have done 5, might go for a walk if I have the energy! Jeff I can imagine that exercise is a must in your job to keep the muscles stretched and limber, otherwise you could be in for a serious crick in the neck and back pain.

Have a great weekend everyone and really good job this week!
36.gif
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep lorelei, the food was decadent..!! we are happy to be home though, and the cold is still very much attacking me, i finally broke down and took some tylenol cold and sinus last nite because my sinuses were really painful. i did get a full night''s sleep and slept til 11am this morning!! i am just trying to give my system what it needs to fight the cold. i was supposed to go work out this morning but i felt like crap last nite so i bailed on kbox (thinking about hopping around and jumping while my nose was stuffed didn''t seem super appealing), but i may hit up the gym...i have a membership i never use but after using the treadmill at the gym in palm springs, i kinda liked being able to monitor and mess with the incline and make it easier or harder to give my body a new type of walking workout. so i think i will head over to the gym for about an hour in a while. walking is also easier on my body and my cold than doing the kbox. then hopefully by monday i will be able to go back to classes again. summer colds are worse than winter IMO partially because it''s so hard to stay the right temperature...aka i typically walk around in tanks and shorts in the house but since my body is all funky i am cold in the house at 80 degrees so i have sweats on. but then it feels weird to have sweats on in summer!! and then last nite the window was open but i was cold so i had like 3 blankets on me...but then i''d wake up sweating but when i walked to the bathroom i got cold. it''s easier to stay warmer consistently in winter because it''s cold out so you already have the heater on and are wearing sweats all the time, but in summer you have to kind of hop from one thing to the other depending on how you feel...can i take my sweatshirt off now? it''s only 90 outside! hehe.

anyway i''m sure i will be better soon....!! congrats on 15 days! have a great weekend everyone!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree Mara.....summer colds are the pits. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Don't push yourself. Your body needs you to rest so your immune system can knock out the mean cold.

Hey all.........I had an amazing workout this afternoon. It turned into a 3 hour marathon, but I hit some new machines (yep my muscles are a bit sore) and I increased the pounds on the free weights. Then, I just tore up the elliptical. I'm not sure where the energy came from (I did have a Tart Cherry Scone from Panera - [If you haven't tried one - Yummy] about an hour before going to the gym.......hmmmmmm., maybe the carbs and sugar gave me extra ooomph), but in 45 minutes, I managed to go 5.6 miles and I burned over 725 calories. Plus, and I know this shouldn't mean much, but two guys who are way better built than me and younger to boot, came over and complimented me, saying they had been noticing how hard I work and that it was really showing. That was really nice of them to do. Perhaps that helped fuel the rest of my workout.

Anyway, I hope you all had a healthy Saturday. Tomorrow, it's back to the gym and then our typicall evening walk with a stop at the frozen yogurt shop. Yummmmmm.

Cheers to everyone.

PS: Congratulations Lorelei on 15 days, soon to be 16. Only 3 pieces of gum is great and I'm sure that's helping contribute to the "foggies." They'll pass, promise. Keep it up!!!!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Hey Lorelei: CONGRATS! You''re doing fantastic!!

Rod, out of curiosity, how many reps do you typically do of each kind of exercise or machine? I''ve been going back and forth between trying to do a lighter amount for 3 sets of 10, or doing 1 set of 10-15 of a heavier amount. Any thoughts as to which is better? Okay, better is a bad word, but the 1st way builds endurance? The second sheer power??

Awesome that you found that extra energy -- it always amazes me, and somehow I always think it''ll never happen again.. only to be pleasantly surprised.

those cherry scones sound divine... will have to see if the local Panera has them!

aussiegirl : p

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i went to the gym today for the first time in years! i have a lifetime membership at this local place and it''s so cheap i just keep it but i rarely use it. it''s the same place my mom and sister are now going so i might join them for a spinning class or something just to kind of add some cross training in here and there. so i did the treadmill on the ''hill'' program for 40 minutes which really burned me out! i only burned like 280 calories and did 2.75 miles but i was TIRED after. some of the inclines on the hill got up to 10 which is a lot for me since i am used to walking straight on all my walks around here. there are no hills! so hopefully this will burn some butt fat. hehee. then i did the circuit training for arms until they burned and then that was it. i was exhausted after but glad i went. my cold is much better when i take a decongestant so it''s not debilitating, i figure a few more nights of full rest and i should be okay. tomorrow we are going to go for a walk (we walk and greg runs) on this trail at this park near us...it''s about a 3mile circuit so it will be good for me and portia and good for greg to try out this new heart monitor watch/timer thing my dad just gave him tonite for his birthday. my dad is a total workout nut and does really intense cycling (100+ mile rides!) and marathons and works out every day so he is always giving greg workout things like new running shoes or something...greg is like the son he wishes he had. so now greg is dying to try out this new toy...hehee.

have a great sunday all and GO ROD you are like a powerhouse! 3 hours at the gym, wow! i can barely muster 1!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ok...I''m on the verge of joining a local gym...I guess I should JUST DO IT
7.gif

Congrats to everyone for their perserverance and quest for a healthier, stronger and trim bod
36.gif

Have a super Sunday.

Jeff

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2006 10:13:23 PM
Hey Lorelei: CONGRATS! You're doing fantastic!!

Rod, out of curiosity, how many reps do you typically do of each kind of exercise or machine? I've been going back and forth between trying to do a lighter amount for 3 sets of 10, or doing 1 set of 10-15 of a heavier amount. Any thoughts as to which is better? Okay, better is a bad word, but the 1st way builds endurance? The second sheer power??

Awesome that you found that extra energy -- it always amazes me, and somehow I always think it'll never happen again.. only to be pleasantly surprised.

those cherry scones sound divine... will have to see if the local Panera has them!

aussiegirl : p
Hey Aussiegirl......there are 2 schools of thought on the numbers and intensities of reps on machines. One can pretty accomplish the same thing by either:

1. Using high weights and fewer reps - but this is harder
2. Using lower weights and more reps.

I have been increasing the weights over time and I typically do 3 reps on each machine, going from a lower to a higher weight with each rep. For example on the flywheel machine, I start at 115 lbs at 15 reps to warm up. Then I do another set of 15 reps at 145 lbs., then the final set of 15 (ok...sometimes, I can only manage 12) at 160 lbs. The problem is I keep adding new machines and my workouts have a tendancy to get longer and longer. I'm going to have to split my workups between upper body one day and lower body, legs the next.

My trainer is a big proponent of lighter weights, more reps by the way. He says you can accomplish absolutely as much with lower weights, but for me personally, I see the biggest gains when I increase the weights. I recommend you choose the method that provides you some tangible benefit and the method that you will stick with. Either way seems to provide good results.

Hope this helps............Your friend........Rod

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2006 9:08:01 AM
Ok...I''m on the verge of joining a local gym...I guess I should JUST DO IT
7.gif

Congrats to everyone for their perserverance and quest for a healthier, stronger and trim bod
36.gif

Have a super Sunday.

Jeff
Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Your body, mental state and general well being will be ever so grateful if you do!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
some food trivia for today...GMA did a food calorie/fat thing and i just watched the video on yahoo.... in case anyone is tempted to get some fast food treats this weekend:

mcdonalds double quarter pounder with cheese and large fries was something like 70 fat grams and 1200 calories.

large soda from mcondalds is about 300 calories.

muffin from dunkin donuts was 600 calories and 25 fat grams. they said often the muffins are worse than the donuts are!

wendys..some sort of salad with chili on it and honeymustard ddressing was something like 1000 calories and 50 fat grams, 25 of which were just the dressing.

dominos one slice of loaded with meat and cheese pizza and 2 breadsticks with garlic butter dipping sauce was something i don''t really recall but i think 800ish calories and they said that if you removed just the dipping sauce it would drop it down by a huge amount.

popeyes 3 pieces of fried chicken with 2-3 sides and biscuit was 1200 calories and 105 grams of fat...YIKES!

anyway some interesting trivia. we had a mcondalds meal on the road our way home on thursday night and i knew it was bad...hehee...but it was the end of the trip so we figured why not! greg had the regular QP with cheese and fries...so his eyes were huge seeing the stats on the DQP. hehe. i had the big mac and fries and we shared a coke, mostly for the caffeine as we were both kinda flagging at that point!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2006 3:09:19 PM
Author: Mara
some food trivia for today...GMA did a food calorie/fat thing and i just watched the video on yahoo.... in case anyone is tempted to get some fast food treats this weekend:

mcdonalds double quarter pounder with cheese and large fries was something like 70 fat grams and 1200 calories.

large soda from mcondalds is about 300 calories.

muffin from dunkin donuts was 600 calories and 25 fat grams. they said often the muffins are worse than the donuts are!

wendys..some sort of salad with chili on it and honeymustard ddressing was something like 1000 calories and 50 fat grams, 25 of which were just the dressing.

dominos one slice of loaded with meat and cheese pizza and 2 breadsticks with garlic butter dipping sauce was something i don''t really recall but i think 800ish calories and they said that if you removed just the dipping sauce it would drop it down by a huge amount.

popeyes 3 pieces of fried chicken with 2-3 sides and biscuit was 1200 calories and 105 grams of fat...YIKES!

anyway some interesting trivia. we had a mcondalds meal on the road our way home on thursday night and i knew it was bad...hehee...but it was the end of the trip so we figured why not! greg had the regular QP with cheese and fries...so his eyes were huge seeing the stats on the DQP. hehe. i had the big mac and fries and we shared a coke, mostly for the caffeine as we were both kinda flagging at that point!
OMG.........I have to fly through the Atlanta airport in a couple of weeks and I was so looking forward to the B Concourse where I used to get my Popeyes fix. Guess that''s definitely not in the cards anymore. I knew fast food was bad food, but you''ve aptly demonstrated how incredibly bad it can be. Thanks Mara!! I hope you''re feeling better.

So everyone, I hope you finished your week on a good and healthy note. I dubbed today Rod''s Extreme Health Day.

For starters, I got up and did 100 pushups and 15 minutes of planks (core exercises). Then I ate a healthy bowl of fruit and fiber cereal with fat free milk. Had my car washed (could of should of done it myself - but hey, need to keep those businesses in the green - right?). Did the grocery shopping. Went to the gym and worked out for 2.5 hours. Only did 30 minutes on the elliptical because in the back of my mind, I had this need to go for a run. Dunno where that comes from?
Came home from the gym and ate a nice healthy salad with loads of greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, cauliflower, raisens, baby carats, celery, fresh roasted turkey breast and home made russian dressing. Yummm.

Then, it hit me and I put on running clothes and ran for over 3 miles. It felt great and and I actually ran directly to the frozen yogurt shop and treated myself to a large chocolate vanilla swirl. Yummm.

I think I''ll sleep well tonight. Tomorrow is a day of rest, so I won''t have much progress to report until Wednesday morning.

Sleep well everyone
35.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Rod, hope your will power is strong enough when you walk past PopEyes
41.gif

I knew fast food was evil, but the actual danger it can cause never really hit home until I saw "SuperSize Me" for class last week. I understand that was a crazy extreme to go to, but I think there was a valid, and important point made - Spurlock showed that measurable changes to the body and its health are made by eating fast food - sure, normally that amount of McD''s is eaten over a lifetime, but over whatever time frame, the liver damage, cholesterol jumps and overall terrible health is something we have to keep in mind! And the cute little cartoon explanation about chicken nuggets pretty much ruined this treat for me (I probably only indulged every 2-3 months or so, but still)!
39.gif

Did my 60 minutes elliptical (7.67 miles, 847.6 calories), and upper-body weightlifting (I decided quads/hammies/glutes were getting enough of a workout after the 7+ miles... they were tired enough!). Also, got in a beautiful 3 mile walk with my doggies. Usually I take them to one of a couple dog parks where they just get to zoom around on their own, but I wanted to go somewhere new and I never let them run loose if I haven''t been there before. So I think all in all, I did good for today
9.gif

Also, Rod, I decided to bump up the weight and decrease the number of reps today. It was kind of fun realizing how much more I can lift if I''m only expecting myself to do 10-15 of them instead of 30... Woohoo!

Hope everyone''s weekend was fantabulous... and that you''re lookinf forward to Monday
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
rod and aussie, you guys are doing AWESOME!!! huge kudos to you!! lol rod re popeyes...i think it''s okay to splurge sometimes so if you REALLY want it, i think you could have it. the funny thing is that after i eat stuff like that, i always feel sick so it''s a great deterrent for the future.

i did a whole lot of fat nothing today trying to rest up for the week....i had 1/2 a smoked salmon wheat bagel with lowfat cream cheese for breakfast and then had the other 1/2 for lunch. then i had a nectarine for a snack and we just had leftover homemade spaghetti for dinner. the spaghetti was probably pretty healthy since we used 93/7 lean beef and nothing else in it would be fatty...except that i love monterey jack cheese on spaghetti...lots of it. so did pretty well today except for the cheese...hehee. at least it was protein.

we''re going for a 1-2m walk tonite but nothing spectacular. tomorrow i am doing my kbox class so hopefully i feel good!! have a great night everyone! tomorrow is a new week!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara.....I actually haven''t had any fried Popeyes in almost a year. Not since, the "Rebuild Rod" campaign was begun. I''m guessing my stomach would likely get upset if I did. I believe in splurging, but will probably just splurge with things like a big ''ol lobster instead of fried chicken..........

Yummmmm......Spaghetti. That''s something I haven''t had in a long time either. Me thinks a night at our favorite Italian restaurant is in the near future! btw......I did take your advice and buy the Lean Cuisine frozen spaghetti, but haven''t had it yet.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results