shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread, August 7-12

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, all! I decided to go ahead and start the thread in hopes that it would keep me motivated this week! I have been such a slacker the past few weeks after I was doing so well there for a long time! This weekend I''ve decided to stop slacking and get back on the workout wagon due to having absolutely no excuse not to work out (the heat spell has ended, TG!), although our A/C is out at work until we can get an approval from corporate to get a new unit installed...

Anywho, I was pretty good over the weekend until I got a pizza craving tonight. Nothing like a goooey, cheesy pizza to make you nice and thirsty and bloated, lol! I don''t think I''ll be making that mistake again anytime soon! I have found myself thinking up all kinds of good recipes for the crockpot for the upcoming football season...I have finally succombed to the football madness that is my DH here and decided to give in to the spirit of things, just have to figure out how to do it in a healthy way! I''ve decided that on Sundays I will be working out instead of hanging out in the basement/cave/football central room with him for the most part, meanwhile I plan to have something going in the crock pot on those days he doesn''t go downtown to the Bears games. Last year I feel like I gained a lot of my weight because I wanted to spend time with him on those days, but this year I feel I can have spirit and fun without giving in to temptation.

Lorelei: how''s the quitting going? I hope it''s getting easier for you, I know the first week is the hardest. I am behind you all the way!

Mara, hope your arm is ok, I think I read last week that it was bothering you again. You are my walking hero now, I haven''t been doing nearly as much as I would''ve liked this summer, and you are consistently walking more and more miles, I''m so proud!
9.gif

Hope everyone else is starting off the week with a bang, I look forward to reading everyone''s experiences!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha Monnie - beat me to it with the thread! You will be extra motivated this week with the workouts and food!

Well I have been smoke free for 10 days now! I am quite pleased with myself
16.gif
The only thing is I think I might have made a hole in a tooth filling from all the gum so that might mean a visit to the dentist.

I mixed the workout up a bit today, did the elliptical for 30 mins and got up to level 18, then I used the revolving stairmaster instead of the treadmill, which was quite fun but I didn't feel as if I was working as hard.

But overall a good start to the week, I have not long returned from the gym and I was sweating up a storm this morning! The non smoking is getting a bit easier, I tend to get fast cravings that rush through me then they go. Not too bad but still a PITA. it is now more of a mental battle I think and I have to keep encouraging myself with various thoughts to keep me going, but I will do it!

Have a great week everyone!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
well, i just got back from the gym. 30 minutes and 300 calories on the treadmill. i started out on the lowest level, no incline & walked a very fast pace for 5 minutes. then, i went to level 10 on the incline and went 5 minutes. i alternated back and forth until i had reached 30 minutes. whew!

last night i didn''t sleep worth a poo! and i was so proud of myself because when the alarm went off, i didn''t go back to sleep (although i almost talked myself into it!). instead i popped out of bed and hit the gym. tonight i MUST get some sleep!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great job Jcrow!
36.gif

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Everyone! Glad to see the thread is started already for the week and all sound motivated.

I had my race yesterday. It was pretty hot, but I managed to do a really quick first mile with my friend (9:30). Then during the second mile, I had a tough time getting going & I finished that in about 14 minutes. I walked probably 2/3 of it. The third mile I pushed myself to run more, but kept having to stop because I felt like I couldn''t really breathe correctly. I ended up running most of it, sprinted at the end and finished in 37:30. This is worse by about 2 minutes than my 2 other 5K''s, but right after I crossed the finish line, I got really sick & threw up in the grass! (Sorry if that was TMI). I have no idea what happened, and I felt fine (besides feeling like I couldn''t really breathe correctly) the whole time. I had some oranges and some water following that & was fine for the rest of the day!

I raced with my fi, 3 of my friends and my dad. One of my friends finished in under 24 minutes & it was his first race! I couldn''t believe it. It was fun & we are all goign to sign up for a 5 mile race around Thanksgiving. I hope I don''t pass out!

My legs are pretty sore today, so I''m going to take a day off from working out. I probably won''t run again until Wednesday, but tomorrow I''d like to lift some weights & maybe walk to loosen up my legs a bit.

Monarch - talking about fall is kind of depressing isn''t it??? I wish summer lasted all year long. I like your plan for when DH is in football mode! It sounds like some great "me" time!

Lorelei - keep going with no smoking! A trip to the dentist for a small filling is much better than a pack of cigarettes
1.gif

JCrow - that treadmill workout sounds crazy...good job!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the encouragement Danielle and I am sorry you were tick in the grass
15.gif
You must have been working hard!

Actually I love Fall, it is my favourite time of year, so many nice things to do. Getting a load of logs for the fire, walks through frosty fields with starry skies, snuggly horses wearing their rugs, crunchy leaves underfoot, thoughts of Christmas, more time for me for piano practice....

sorry for the threadjack, Fall makes me feel wistful....
face23.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Ok folks. After the recommendation of many on my diet questions, I''m here to be inspired to loose the 20 pounds that are bugging me. Hopefully eventually I can be inspirational too.

It''s been 2 years since I worked out religiously. I used to do spinning and pilates. I can''t say I overly loved exercise and certainly never craved it as many of you have mentioned. But I''m not a couch potato either. At home, I''m usually doing major home projects....laid a giant granite patio this spring. I rarely watch TV because I don''t have time. I have hand weights & a recumbant exercise bike.

Here''s my basic schedule. Someone please make some exercise suggestions.

Wake up 5:30AM and hit the shower. Attempt to get ready as much as possible while nagging the kids to get ready too.
Leave house by 7AM.
Drop kids off at school arrive work at 8am.
9am-Eat Luna Bar for breakfast.
Work until lunch at 11:30
Eat lunch at home--I try to make salads for lunch
Back by 12:30
Work until 5pm.
Leave and pick up kids. Arrive home about 6pm
Make dinner & clean up....done by 7pm hopefully.
Do yard/housework until 8:00 when time to start kids bedtime routines
Finally get kids into bed by 9pm
Do work for real job or fold laundry until 9:30pm
Take shower/iron clothes etc.
In bed hopefully by 10pm.

Help folks...not sure where to fit in exercise?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
10 days Lorelei!!!!!! It will get easier and easier. Sorry to hear about your tooth.

Congratulations for the 5K Danielle. I would be really happy to just finish one myself.

Happy New Workout Week Everyone:

We worked out really hard this weekend. Had our session with our trainer Saturday morning. He was in a not great mood, so he pushed us even harder. I withstood it and pushed even harder. He never gave us even a 30 second rest during the workout. If any of you ever watch Mad TV, he took us to (HNL) Ho, Novah, Level. (You won''t see the humor unless you''ve seen the character on Mad TV, sorry. Then we got on the elliptical for another 30 minutes afterwards. Instead of having lunch, we had a Smoothie King protein smoothie.

We did sushi both Friday and Saturday night. Probably have mercury poisoning from all the tuna, but we just couldn''t decide where else to go.

Sunday, we worked out for almost 3 hours at the gym on our own. Then we walked 4 miles and got our Sunday night Frozen Yogurt. Walking home we got caught in a thunder shower, and I just started running (didn''t want to get the yogurt wet you know), I just started running home and noticed that I ran about 1/2 mile and wasn''t even in the least bit winded!!

Tonight is a free night, meaning no gym. But if it doesn''t rain, I''m going to either run 3 miles or skate 8 miles.

I hope everyone has a great healthy week and you all find the motivation to keep yourselves going.

Cheers!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the praise Rod - I DO deserve it! Sounds like you had a punishing schedule this weekend!

ID welcome to the WWT!
35.gif

Wow, that is a hectic day's routine for you! I was wondering if you didn't go home for lunch, would that save enough time that you could fit in some exercise then? Maybe go for a walk in your lunch break or hit the gym if there is one at work or closeby?

Another suggestion I have is to maybe cook some meals in bulk and freeze them. That way you could defrost and feed everyone in a jiffy and that would save some time you could use for exercise...

Also maybe with the housework, have you ever seen the flylady website? www.flylady.com This is a fantastic time management site which really helps busy ladies to manage their time effectively so they can have a bit more time for themselves. If you like, they send you email reminders to help keep you motivated and organized. I joined a while ago and it was a huge help to me. This way you might get some ideas to help you with your busy life, also you might find you not only have more time to exercise, but more time to spend with the kids and family too!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
*~*Danielle*~* - i had a friend hire a personal trainer. the friend was the same height as me (5'') but her problem area was her thighs & butt. the trainer suggested doing high incline walking/running either on the treadmill or elliptical. she also suggested doing going up and down to really get your heart rate up. so i''ve been somewhat trying it, not that i have to lose anything particular in the thighs and butt. i''ve noticed that my legs are getting long and lean. i love that. i''ve always been able to bulk up my legs with weights (not that i need or want to). so i love that this seems to elogate my quads. LOVE that!

island dreams- i know it sounds impossible, but would you be able to wake up a bit earlier and do some weights or bike before the kids wake? even thirty minutes then jump in the shower to start your day

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, do I remember you saying it is inline skating you do? How long have you been doing that? I used to ice skate years ago but doubt I could do it now, I would be too scared
32.gif
9.gif

BTW calling Miss Mara in Palm Springs
9.gif
I hope you and Greg are having a fabulous time and he had a great birthday! Look forward to hearing about the eats sometime
3.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I decided I''d join the workout thread finally, so here goes!

I normally bike the mile to school daily, but my bike was here from the weekend so I walked 2 blocks to the bus stop instead. I''ll be biking home (~5 min/1 mile, so that''s 12-15 mph or so). Once the semester starts in 2 weeks I want to join a yoga class at the campus rec center, so I''ll let you all know how that goes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOO HOO - welcome JCDC!
35.gif

We decided to walk to the village supermarket yesterday as we needed milk and it was most pleasant and a good way to fit in some exercise as our gym closes weekends.

Another thing I have been doing ( inspired by Sir Rod) is stretching out daily even after workouts. It has made a difference already and stopped my legs cramping on the elliptical. I grab my foot and pull my heel towards my bottom and hold, also bend one knee and straighten and stretch the other leg and it really helps. I am hoping to get the nice elongation that Jcrow is noticing as my workout is similar to hers. It must be working as I am on week 9 and my Hubby keeps laughing about my 'tiny' legs! I want lean and elegant ( in my dreams!)
41.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2006 11:12:46 AM
Author: Lorelei
Rod, do I remember you saying it is inline skating you do? How long have you been doing that? I used to ice skate years ago but doubt I could do it now, I would be too scared
32.gif
9.gif

BTW calling Miss Mara in Palm Springs
9.gif
I hope you and Greg are having a fabulous time and he had a great birthday! Look forward to hearing about the eats sometime
3.gif
Yep, inline skating. Love Love Love it. It''s a lot like ice skating and uses the same muscles. Supposedly, for every two miles you skate it''s the equivalent of running 1 mile. I find skating easier, but it''s such a free liberating experience. We''re lucky though. We can walk outside our front door and skate along the worlds longest continuous waterfront sidewalk anytime we want.

If you used to ice skate, you''d probably enjoy inline skating. There is no age limit to skating. We see people in their 70''s pon skates. It''s much less harsh on your limbs than running, but you can hurt yourself easier. If you take it up, you must the protective gear and actually wear it.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking workout will need to be in the evening instead of housework. The 5:30am wake up is already a HUGE struggle for me and there's no way I'd regularly get up any earlier. I've tried lunch time but I can't get much done and get back to work looking decent in time. I do walk around the building and always take the stairs (I work on the 3rd floor).

Can I do much if I only have 1/2 hour? What should I do given that I'm going to need to do it at home?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2006 11:38:21 AM
Author: IslandDreams
I''m thinking workout will need to be in the evening instead of housework. The 5:30am wake up is already a HUGE struggle for me and there''s no way I''d regularly get up any earlier. I''ve tried lunch time but I can''t get much done and get back to work looking decent in time. I do walk around the building and always take the stairs (I work on the 3rd floor).

Can I do much if I only have 1/2 hour? What should I do given that I''m going to need to do it at home?
every little bit helps, so i would really try to get the most out of those 30 minutes! maybe 3 days a week you do bike and the other days you do free weights? or more bike if you need lots of cardio.

you won''t lose time getting to and from the gym since everything you need is at home.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One day I might try it Rod!

ID, half an hour is a great amount of time to get great benefits from the workout. I think I would do mainly cardio such as the bike for 30 mins as you want to drop a few pounds and to help overall fitness and energy levels. Half an hour daily soon adds up over time to a very respectable amount of exercise. Then you can also work on increasing the tension with the bike and progress that way too. I would aim for at 4 cardio sessions a week as I have heard that exercising 4 times or more a week is three times more effective than three times a week and once or twice doesn't benefit much at all...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2006 11:38:21 AM
I''m thinking workout will need to be in the evening instead of housework. The 5:30am wake up is already a HUGE struggle for me and there''s no way I''d regularly get up any earlier. I''ve tried lunch time but I can''t get much done and get back to work looking decent in time. I do walk around the building and always take the stairs (I work on the 3rd floor).

Can I do much if I only have 1/2 hour? What should I do given that I''m going to need to do it at home?
IslandDreams...........Good for you wanting to find a 1/2 hour to improve your health and fitness. Do you have a Borders, or really good bookstore near you? If you, please go there and buy a book called "Core Performance Essentials" by Mark Verstegen. This is a wonderful book that will help you build core strength (essential for anyone who works out), but will also show you how you can exercise at home with minimal investment (you can buy a gym ball at any fitness store, like Sports Authority) and use the fitness program detailed in the book. I personally start every workout session with core exercises. There''s also wonderful nutrition advice in the book.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to be better fit and healthier.

Good luck!

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all!
35.gif
I don''t know why I never joined this thread! Such a supportive group! I''m a group exercise instructor and hopefully a soon-to-be personal trainer (I''ll be taking the certification test in Sept.). I stopped teaching my classes at the gym at the end of May when I started my summer internships. After a few weeks of (post wedding) slacking, DH and I have been getting back on track and heading to the gym at 6:00 am at least 3 times a week so that we can get our workout in before work. I need to get my aerobic capacity back to where it was at the start of the summer if I''m going to be able to teach a cardio kickboxing class for a bunch of freshman in few short weeks!

I played racquetball for the first time on Saturday and OMG I am still SO sore. I couldn''t believe it when I woke up this morning. Definitely showed me the importance of mixing it up!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY - welcome to Lizzie!
36.gif
36.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lizzie---want to come to my house to be my personal trainer?

Seriously, thanks for the positive comments on my bike plan. The bike I have is a Nordic track with actual programmable "rides" so that helps with the resistance etc.

I''ll look for the book you recommended Rod.

Also, can anyone recommend any magazines for inspiration on healthy living...diet/fitness/health etc. How is Self Magazine? I figure if I subscribe to one of those types of magazines it might help inspire me. I already getting Cooking Light which is good for recipes.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2006 2:13:18 PM

Seriously, thanks for the positive comments on my bike plan. The bike I have is a Nordic track with actual programmable ''rides'' so that helps with the resistance etc.

I''ll look for the book you recommended Rod.

Also, can anyone recommend any magazines for inspiration on healthy living...diet/fitness/health etc. How is Self Magazine? I figure if I subscribe to one of those types of magazines it might help inspire me. I already getting Cooking Light which is good for recipes.
I religiously read "Men''s Health and Fitness." It offers so much well balanced advice that has really helped me. I''m not into body building, so most muscle mags, are overkill for me. I believe there''s a Ladies version, "Women''s Health and Fitness." At least I think there is? In the men''s magazine, many of the core performance exercises in Marks'' book are often addressed.

Anyway, good luck to you and please report on your progress OK??!!
35.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
I''m off to the gym in a few minutes but thought I''d get a little motivation before going. I''m not exactly in the workout mood but I''ve got to get my week started. I accomplished my 4 days last week. I''m pretty happy about that b/c it''s been awhile. The running is getting a little easier and I start my next phase today. Phase 5 is : 5 min. jog, 3 min. walk, 5 min. jog, 3 min. walk, 5 min. jog. I don''t think that will be too hard, but we''ll see! My eating was pretty poor over the weekend. I''m sure any progress I may have made last week flew out the window. But eating was good today.

Monarch, good to "see" you. Believe me, I know how hard it is to get back on track after you''ve slowed down. I''m right there w/you trying to get back to the routine. Btw, I''m still amazed w/your accomplishment!

Danielle, congrats on the race!! I am always so impressed w/everyone that competes in races.

Lorelei, it is wonderful that you are doing so well w/the quitting!! 10 days is great! You should absolutely be pleased w/yourself and for getting up to level 18 on the elliptical. Wow!

JCrow, that''s great that you got up this morning. I generally have a hard time getting up but once I do, I am soooo happy that I did.

IslandDreams, I would suggest doing the working during your yard/housework time or after putting the kids to bed. I also have a child so it is tough to find the time but well worth it! Mine is a bit older so that helps me but I either workout in the morning (which sucks but is very nice to be done) or in the evening. I try to do it right when I get home (if I''m using a tape) otherwise, I talk myself out of it or am just too tired. That''s great that you''re ready to get started!

Rod, your dedication is so impressive! Ok, I''m starting to feel a little whiny about not wanting to workout. You are a source of inspiration to me!

JCJD and Lizzie, welcome to the group. I have taken a few yoga classes and just loved it. That would be great if you can fit it in your schedule. Lizzie, I love racquetball but am not very good. It''s a lot of fun though!

Sorry for the long post! Off to workout...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2006 5:29:21 PM
Author: dixie94
Hi everyone,
I''m off to the gym in a few minutes but thought I''d get a little motivation before going. I''m not exactly in the workout mood but I''ve got to get my week started. I accomplished my 4 days last week. I''m pretty happy about that b/c it''s been awhile. The running is getting a little easier and I start my next phase today. Phase 5 is : 5 min. jog, 3 min. walk, 5 min. jog, 3 min. walk, 5 min. jog. I don''t think that will be too hard, but we''ll see! My eating was pretty poor over the weekend. I''m sure any progress I may have made last week flew out the window. But eating was good today.

Monarch, good to ''see'' you. Believe me, I know how hard it is to get back on track after you''ve slowed down. I''m right there w/you trying to get back to the routine. Btw, I''m still amazed w/your accomplishment!

Danielle, congrats on the race!! I am always so impressed w/everyone that competes in races.

Lorelei, it is wonderful that you are doing so well w/the quitting!! 10 days is great! You should absolutely be pleased w/yourself and for getting up to level 18 on the elliptical. Wow!

JCrow, that''s great that you got up this morning. I generally have a hard time getting up but once I do, I am soooo happy that I did.

IslandDreams, I would suggest doing the working during your yard/housework time or after putting the kids to bed. I also have a child so it is tough to find the time but well worth it! Mine is a bit older so that helps me but I either workout in the morning (which sucks but is very nice to be done) or in the evening. I try to do it right when I get home (if I''m using a tape) otherwise, I talk myself out of it or am just too tired. That''s great that you''re ready to get started!

Rod, your dedication is so impressive! Ok, I''m starting to feel a little whiny about not wanting to workout. You are a source of inspiration to me!

JCJD and Lizzie, welcome to the group. I have taken a few yoga classes and just loved it. That would be great if you can fit it in your schedule. Lizzie, I love racquetball but am not very good. It''s a lot of fun though!

Sorry for the long post! Off to workout...
It''s great when you set a goal and you''re doing wonderfully
36.gif
36.gif
And on the eating, don''t beat yourself up. It''s hard to resist temptation and you shouldn''t cut out everything fun anyway. You just keep up the workouts and keep pushing yourself!!!!

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2006 2:13:18 PM
I absolutely would, but I''m pretty sure you''re not in the Houston metropolitan area!

Today DH and I went back to the gym for 1 hour and 20 minutes of racquetball. I wouldn''t really call it "playing racquetball"... it''s mostly me running around and shrieking when I think I''m about to get hit in the face. But it is much fun!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hi everyone!! we''re on vacation but i have been thinking about this thread... i just had to check in to see how things were going and people were doing!!

the vacation is great so far, we got upgraded to a sweeeeeet room which is way bigger than the one we had last year and has it''s own patio with lounge chairs in an enclosed garden space, and then beyond that in the shade is our own hammock, we are huge hammock freaks! we love coming back from dinner and lazing around in it and looking at the stars and talking. we would love to have one at home. the sky last nite was so crisp and clear, it was beautiful.

also, a perk of having all this time to do nothing but relax and hang out is to work out also!! the resort has a new spa which is huge and encompasses the gym as well..so we can just walk 2 minutes to the gym. we can also use the inside pool, jacuzzi, sauna, etc. so we have been basically chowing down like pigs and laying out at the pool and chugging drinks, but at least i am able to get in a workout every day. i''ve been proud of myself so far. we got here yesterday afternoon and we did a workout yest evening and also i went again tonite. i did 1.5-1.75miles on the treadmill but really upped the incline and burned off 200+ calories each time in 25 minutes. then i did circuit weight training for arms and legs today, yesterday i did some situps and pushups and then today i did 200 jumping jacks as well. so i feel pretty good about the whole thing and it''s fun to go to the little gym, no one is ever there! it''s kind of fun to be on your own schedule and make time to workout still. i feel so much better after visiting the gym and breaking a sweat after laying around all day relaxing.

miss lorelei in terms of food...so far last nite we had some amazing mussels in coconut curry milk and lemongrass, we also had some great lobster raviolis (mmm), and this morning greg had a fabulous smoked salmon bagel with all types of caviar on it, yum! hehee. this place has exceptional breakfasts as well...today i was a little boring with some granola ( i needed the fiber!!) which was yummy, plain with fresh berries and nuts for sweetness, and an egg white omelet. tomorrow i will be bad and get some blueberry pancakes or french toast (made with rice crispies and caramel!) or something decadent!

tonite we are heading out for dinner in town again, not sure what we''ll get but maybe some casual mexican where we can sit outside and drink margaritas and chill out. tomorrow is greg''s birthday so i arranged with the concierge to get a cake from a local bakery for him, and champagne and they will bring it to our room tomorrow afternoon, which should be a nice surprised for the birthday boy. then tomorrow night it''s lobster potstickers!!

everyone sounds like they are doing great this week! welcome to the thread, ID....i love cooking light''s recipes!! i just picked up the latest issue and there are 3-4 things in there i am dying to try. in terms of fitting workouts into your day, i really incorporated walking into our lives, we often go at night after dinner for a walk with the dog together, even if it''s 30 minutes at night daily, it CAN make a difference. i posted a stat recently which was something like if you walk 60 minutes a day, every day, and do nothing else differently in your life, don''t change eating habits etc, you can lose 1.5 lbs every 2 weeks. that''s about 3 lbs a month. sure it''s not a huge huge thing but if you only want to lose 10-20 lbs and don''t mind it being long term, walking is a GREAT way to get started. even 30 minutes a day is better than nothing!

gotta run, but kudos to all!
2.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
just got back from my week day morning workout. i skipped cardio and did 30 minutes of weights. i did both free weights and machines and focused on upperbody. gotta tone for that w-dress!!

how''s everyone else doing??

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Mara............Sounds like you and Greg are enjoying a wonderful trip. The food sounds wonderful, as do the drinks by the pool. Good to hear you can work off those extra calories. Musn''t ruin all the great work you''ve been doing!!

Morning All...........We did go for an 8 mile skate last night. It was just a splendiferous evening. We had a major thunderstorm around 4:30, so the air was so fresh and the sky this incredible blue. Since we''ve spent so much time in the gym over the last few months, I was curious to see how I handled skating again. Typically after about 2 miles I would get some cramping in my legs (particularly my shins) and my ankles would hurt a little. Plus at the 2 mile point, I would be getting a little out of breath. So, what happened last night. Well........it was incredible. I skated 8 miles, without any cramping, no shin pain, and not once did I ever feel even the slightest bit winded. It was pretty windy going one direction and for the first time in my life I enjoyed skating against the wind. It allowed me to push harder. I was skating past other skaters and even skated past people on bicylcles.

I''m not sure if I got much aerobic benefit from the skate, but it sure was fun. Perhaps the best part was the fact that since we moved into our new condo, we can walk out our front door and get on the worlds longest waterfront sidewalk without having to drive there. Way Kewl!!!

It''s back to the gym for the next three nights. I hope everyone is having success with their workouts!!

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/8/2006 8:11:03 AM
Author: jcrow
just got back from my week day morning workout. i skipped cardio and did 30 minutes of weights. i did both free weights and machines and focused on upperbody. gotta tone for that w-dress!!

how''s everyone else doing??
Ditto! 30 minutes of upper body on free weights and machines this morning. I usually don''t like doing weights because I build muscle a little too easily... but DH wanted some company, so I obliged. I think we''ll be trying to get in the habit of doing 2 days of weights a week (one day upper body, one day lower body), 3 days of cardio at the gym, and doing something extra fun like a long bike ride on Saturdays.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning everyone! I''m so glad I joined the workout thread - pricescope love and motivation for health and fitness! I''m definitely inspired by all of your progress and goals, so thanks!

It was raining this morning so I didn''t bike (no rain fenders, poncho is of course here at work) so I walked in the sprinkles. 15 mins, 1 mile one way.

I find that if I incorporate exercise into my daily routine, I feel like I''m multi-tasking and feel more accomplished. Any suggestions for how I can add more aerobics and some resistance in a clever way? I already carry the cat around the apt, but she''s little. :) I''m going to start trying to take the stairs more often at work. As for yoga, I''m going to try and find some friends to do it with me so I stay motivated and keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results