shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread, August 7-12

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2006 11:44:37 AM
Author: JCJD
Good morning everyone! I''m so glad I joined the workout thread - pricescope love and motivation for health and fitness! I''m definitely inspired by all of your progress and goals, so thanks!

It was raining this morning so I didn''t bike (no rain fenders, poncho is of course here at work) so I walked in the sprinkles. 15 mins, 1 mile one way.

I find that if I incorporate exercise into my daily routine, I feel like I''m multi-tasking and feel more accomplished. Any suggestions for how I can add more aerobics and some resistance in a clever way? I already carry the cat around the apt, but she''s little. :) I''m going to start trying to take the stairs more often at work. As for yoga, I''m going to try and find some friends to do it with me so I stay motivated and keep going.
JCJD, I live on one of the worlds great fitness sidewalks and see what many people do. It''s very inspirational. I''ve noticed many walkers cary small, say 1 - 2 pound weights, when they walk and they swing their arms while walking. This makes sense as it provides weight training resistance to the upper body while the legs are working. Which basically resembles the movement and resistance one would get on an elliptical machine. Simple, I realize, but would be quite effective.

Perhaps you could try this when you walk??

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Rod, thanks for the reply. I thought I read a couple years back that wearing weights while walking or running can be really bad for your joints. Is that true? My knees are just getting back from my IT band pain from casual running in college, and I don''t want to stress my joints any more.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning,
I worked out last night and was able to do my new Phase pretty well. That last 5 min. was a little tough but it sure feels good to meet my goal. I am really happy I started this running program b/c I never thought I''d be able to run more than a minute or two on a consistent basis. I like when I can really see progress so this is working well for me. Plus, no major back pain coming back. So, I''m in a pretty good mood this morning. My eating was ok last night but not great. I had a bowl of leftover baked mostaccoli, and it wasn''t even that good. That helps though b/c next time hopefully I will think about it more before giving in. I don''t have any library tapes right now so I have to use the ones I have or maybe buy one. I''m thinking of doing that before I go home so I have no excuse not to do a tape tonight. It''s hard to find good ones though.

Anyway....

Mara, sounds like you''re having a wonderful time and the food does sound fabulous! I also like working out when I don''t feel rushed or pushed. Many times when I have a day off, I''ll willingly work out and it feels great. But when I have to workout in the morning or after work, it becomes a chore.

Rod, thanks for the motivation! The skating sounds great! That''s great that you skated so long w/no problem! I bought a pair of roller blades a few years back but couldn''t find anyone to skate with
7.gif
I gave them away recently but may get another pair. I used to love to roller skate when I was younger.

Jcrow and Lizzie, that''s great that you already have your workouts in! I was too lazy this morning but it sure feels good when you are done so early in the day.

JCJD, I try to take the stairs too. In my office parking garage, I try to park on the 4th floor so that I at least have that to walk up. I also work on the 7th floor but haven''t quite found the energy to take those stairs. I did think about it though this morning, if that counts.
2.gif
Maybe tomorrow!

Lorelei, is it Day 11 for you today??

Have a good day everyone!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2006 12:17:06 PM
Hi Rod, thanks for the reply. I thought I read a couple years back that wearing weights while walking or running can be really bad for your joints. Is that true? My knees are just getting back from my IT band pain from casual running in college, and I don''t want to stress my joints any more.
I''m sure anything can be overdone to the point of being harmfull. But I had a neighbor who was also my Othopaedist and he routinely walked with 1lb hand weights. Perhaps you could ask your doctor, but I wouldn''t think a pound would be harmfull. I don''t think I''d strap 20 pounds to each arm though
38.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dixie......Thanks and yes, skating can be so much fun. You have to have the right protective gear though. And, not having a skating partner can be a negative in case you did hurt yourself. I broke my arm a few years ago skating and had to skate back to my car over 3 miles with a broken arm. That was painful beyond belief, but it didn''t keep me off my skates. I am more careful these days. If you ever do take it up, be careful of the following:

1. The dreaded Duo or Trio walkers. These are the people (sorry and I mean no offense, but typically they are ladies) who walk for fitness but, pay absolutely no attention to anything or anyone around them. They tend to believe it is important, no necessary, to walk abreast taking up the entire sidewalk
29.gif

2. The Dog Walker. These are the people who believe a walk couldn''t possibly be enjoyable without taking fido, who is, btw., completely not leashed trained. Fido has the magical ability to dart in front of skaters and trip them in a moments notice.
29.gif

3. The Cell Phone walker. This is the person (sorry again, but mostly ladies) who can not comprehend taking a healthy walk without talking on the phone. As their conversations become more and more animated, they tend to wander in peoples paths (runners, bikers, other walkers and skaters alike). Note: Cell Phone walkers do not respond to advance notice that you, the skater is coming up on their left or right. Do not attempt to let a Cell Phone walker know you are coming up, as when you say........"Coming up on your left," they may not fully comprehend what you have said and they may, instead, turn to their left, making you fall and hurt yoursefl
29.gif
29.gif

4. Young Children walking, riding, skating. While this needs no explanation, young children are to be feared when you are on skates. They have no sense of direction, nor do they have the ability to walk in straight lines or ride their cute and oh so adorable bikes, tricycles or training skates in straight lines.
29.gif

5. The Pack of Runners. Again, little explanation is required, but why do people need to run in packs? Is this a need that is deep rooted in our gene''s going all the way to back to when we were ape people?
29.gif
29.gif

6. Not to only pick on the young and abled: The Elderly Walker: God bless ''em. It''s wonderful to see people older than myself wandering around the sidewalks at peak fitness hours. But, much like young (really young) children, they don''t often maintain a straight line and they don''t hear so well either, so much like the Cell Phone walker, they may turn in your direction if you announce you are coming upoin their left or right side.
29.gif

Please know that if anyone see''s themselves in any of the above, absolutely no offense is meant.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Rod - I can relate to all of your peeves on so many levels, but for bicycling on trails or on a college campus. I don''t know how many times I''ve been biking to class and come upon a row of 3 or 4 students taking up the entire, extra extra wide sidewalk. You can tell if there''s a cyclist in the group because once they hear my gears clicking they''ll turn around and move to the side for you, but that''s rare. I just *love* it when you come up on the row when they''re facing you. Why? Because they stare straight at you and keep walking towards you!!! Hello, you are on MY side of the sidewalk...
29.gif

Enough ranting, time to walk home again. Does carrying a 5 lb laptop in my backpack count as resistance training?
28.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2006 5:26:47 PM
Rod - I can relate to all of your peeves on so many levels, but for bicycling on trails or on a college campus. I don''t know how many times I''ve been biking to class and come upon a row of 3 or 4 students taking up the entire, extra extra wide sidewalk. You can tell if there''s a cyclist in the group because once they hear my gears clicking they''ll turn around and move to the side for you, but that''s rare. I just *love* it when you come up on the row when they''re facing you. Why? Because they stare straight at you and keep walking towards you!!! Hello, you are on MY side of the sidewalk...
29.gif

Enough ranting, time to walk home again. Does carrying a 5 lb laptop in my backpack count as resistance training?
28.gif
Thanks for sharing my obvious frustration. I was getting worried that I killed the Fitness thread for today with my rant. I hope everyone knows much of what I wrote was tongue in cheek (though everything is pretty true) and was meant to be read with a humurous twist.

Oh and yes, I would certainly believe that carrying a 5 lb laptop in your backpack while walking home would count as resistance training!!!

And one last thing........Love your Avatar!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/8/2006 5:32:41 PM
Author: Rod

Thanks for sharing my obvious frustration. I was getting worried that I killed the Fitness thread for today with my rant. I hope everyone knows much of what I wrote was tongue in cheek (though everything is pretty true) and was meant to be read with a humurous twist.

Oh and yes, I would certainly believe that carrying a 5 lb laptop in your backpack while walking home would count as resistance training!!!

And one last thing........Love your Avatar!
Rod, don''t worry! Your post was funny and good to keep in mind if I do decide to venture out. Of course, I probably will just go around my neighborhood, precisely for many of the reasons that you mentioned!

Off to workout. I DO want to, I DO want to, I DO want to ..... I hope that starts working sooner or later!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, haven''t been able to fully read the thread, but wanted to check in and say hello. In Washington DC on business and am doing well on food choices (hard to do on the road). Didn''t work out today, but walked alot. Will work out tomorrow as the gym is excellent!

Have a great week everyone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys, sorry I wasn''t here yesterday, there were repairing power lines in the area so I was without a computer
32.gif

Anyway, yes Dixie yesterday was day 11 and now it is DAY 12
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am really proud of myself and think I am winning, the cravings are getting less and I am not thinking about cigarettes as much which is a really good sign!

I have been thinking...I might try to wean myself off the nicotine gum in a few days as my thinking is this. All the time I am ingesting nicotine, my body will crave it whether it is through gum or cigarettes and I wonder if it might be better to lose the nicotine all together, especially as I have heard the physical addiciton is over quickly and the people like Sir Rod who went cold turkey seem to be more successful...I will see if I can do it maybe.

Workouts went fine, I really missed this thread yesterday! Did the usual elliptical and treadmill for 45 mins yesterday and this morning and aiming for level 20 now on the elliptical. Amazing how much more stamina you get quickly when you stop smoking.

Mara I am so glad you are having a great time but were able to check in! Food sounds divine and you deserve to spoil yourselves! Have a great week and I look forward to further food reports! Any tapioca drinks on the horizon?
3.gif

Good job everyone, keep it up!
36.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I haven''t been checking in on this thread because I was pretty upset with myself. There seemed to be no way that I was going to get my mileage up in time for the half marathon. I ran 5 days last week, but there was no long run in there. The longest I ran was 6 miles and that was with a break in between. So, I made up my mind last night that I was just going to do it. I ran 10.5 miles and didn''t feel that bad. In fact, I probably could have completed a half marathon because my legs just wanted to keep running! I was pretty sore once I stopped running even with some walking to cool down. Today I don''t feel too badly though, so I think I can do it. I''l take the day off, and Friday will be another short run of about 5 miles in preparation for a long run over the weekend. I think I''ll probably do a 8.5 mile run on Saturday or Sunday and do another long run the middle of next week.

And Rod, by the way, I totally agree with you about people taking up the sidewalk. That happens to me all the time when I''m jogging. So many people just seem to be lacking in common courtesy. I know you mentioned about dogs tripping you, but I''ve actually had dogs lunge at me like they want to bite me. I guess they think because I''m running, that I''m running from them!

Keep up the good work this week, everyone! It''s hump day!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coda I was wondering where you were! Well done for keeping going, you did it girl!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I managed to run home about .75 of a mile at the weekend and I was pretty pleased with myself, but to go 10 miles is AWESOME! Please keep posting even if you don''t feel you are doing well, you ARE
36.gif
36.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh my goodness! i just got back from my morning workout. i completely surprised myself!!

i got up a little later than usual so i knew i''d have about 20 minutes instead of 30 to workout this morning. in my head as i was driving to the gym i was convincing myself that i would just do weights. well as i was opening the gym doors, i decided, no i NEED to do cardio today! so i jumped on the treadmill. i was going to do my new routine - flat 5 minutes and incline grade 10 for 5 minutes, repeated for 30 minutes. well when it got time for me to do incline, i punched those numbers up to 13 for the incline! then i let go of the handrail- which is really hard to do for a long time on an incline!

then, this overwhelming feeling came over and my body decided it NEEDED to run!! run?! i''ve NEVER run on a treadmill- ever! fact is i probably haven''t run since college- and that was when i was taking tennis, or aeobics and the instructor decided to mix it up and made us do laps!! well i ran! on incline of 13!!!!!! wow! this is big! for me at least.

i only ran for about 2 minutes. but, hey that''s ok. after i went down to no incline and my body did it again- it NEEDED to run! so i punched those mph numbers up. i ran for at least 5 minutes. it was so refreshing! although i felt my body going jiggle with every stride- yuck! - something i don''t feel when i do my treadmil fast pace walk. after running i went to about 4.2 mph and fast walked until i had gone 18 minutes total on the treadmil.

the hardest part was after i stopped running. my lungs ached!! ouch!

so i have a new goal-- to run!! i will try to run a little bit each time i''m on the treadmil. i hope to be able to get up the stamina to run on a high incline longer than 2 minutes.

36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ATTAGIRL Jcrow!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2006 2:26:10 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hey guys, sorry I wasn''t here yesterday, there were repairing power lines in the area so I was without a computer
32.gif

Anyway, yes Dixie yesterday was day 11 and now it is DAY 12
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am really proud of myself and think I am winning, the cravings are getting less and I am not thinking about cigarettes as much which is a really good sign!

I have been thinking...I might try to wean myself off the nicotine gum in a few days as my thinking is this. All the time I am ingesting nicotine, my body will crave it whether it is through gum or cigarettes and I wonder if it might be better to lose the nicotine all together, especially as I have heard the physical addiciton is over quickly and the people like Sir Rod who went cold turkey seem to be more successful...I will see if I can do it maybe.

Workouts went fine, I really missed this thread yesterday! Did the usual elliptical and treadmill for 45 mins yesterday and this morning and aiming for level 20 now on the elliptical. Amazing how much more stamina you get quickly when you stop smoking.

Mara I am so glad you are having a great time but were able to check in! Food sounds divine and you deserve to spoil yourselves! Have a great week and I look forward to further food reports! Any tapioca drinks on the horizon?
3.gif

Good job everyone, keep it up!
36.gif
Good thinking my friend
36.gif
I believe (truly I do) that all the other times I tried to quit with either the patch or gum, that I just traded the nicotine addiction, but never truly got over it and it was just oh so easy to smoke again and feed the ''monster.'' Just remember that if you give up the gum and really go without any nicotine, you may experience (actually, you will) a sense of fogginess. I actually felt I was walking around in a fog for a month. Sometimes, my mind would get stuck somewhere and it seemed like minutes could last for months. It goes away of course, but be prepared for some bouts of depression and odd sensations, but I think getting off nicotine altogether is a great idea!!!! I''m so VERY proud of you Lorelei and I know you can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rod! I was interested on your opinion on maybe stopping the gum, earlier when I was in the bath I felt a craving and realized it was for the GUM
32.gif
So I wondered if I was swapping one addiction for another, gum is the better one to have of course, but I was thinking it made more sense if I was to get rid of the nicotine all together it might be best...I think I will give it a try and hope I don't get the foggy sensation, I am daft enough anyway!
9.gif

ETA - another thing I notice since I stopped smoking is I feel so tired....Hubby feels the same way, I know we are fine healthwise, maybe it is a side effect of quitting. I could sleep on a clothes line!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 8:45:10 AM
ATTAGIRL Jcrow!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
thanks!! i know it''s such a small step, but i''m very proud
9.gif

i''ve always been scared of running.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei.........You will get the "foggies." You can count on it, but just remember they will, over time, become fewer and farther apart. The real benefit is you will get over the addiction in its'' entirety and the sooner you do that, (imho) the better. You''ll also without question become a bit crankier. I promise you will. Tell your loved ones and friends what you''re doing and make them promise to love you even harder and to tolerate, no support any bad moods you may exhibit. If you get frustrated, just send a note to me and I''ll be here for you.

Your friend and admirer..........Rod

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2006 9:52:29 AM
Author: jcrow

ATTAGIRL Jcrow!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
thanks!! i know it's such a small step, but i'm very proud
9.gif

i've always been scared of running.
You go Jcrow. I understand what you experienced. I never ran as a child. I was fat. I never ran as a teenager. I was fatter. By the adulthood set in, I did lose some weight, but never exercised and I smoked, so running wasn't in the cards. Now at 51 and a full year off tobacco, I work out non stop and then it hit me. Rod wanted to run. I felt this odd overwhelming desire, no, need to put one foot in front of the other and just run. So I did. And the first time I ran outside, I ran a mile withouth stopping. Then two miles. Then three miles. You've no doubt heard about a runners high. It's true. At about 3 miles, this sense of euphoria sets in and you feel as if you could run indefinitely and with a happiness that's hard to describe.

I hope you keep up the great work!!!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
also wanted to share a few other things.

sorry if someone has already mentioned this, i haven't read every post in this thread--

1) anyone watch workout on bravo?? i watched it last night and i have to say i REALLY liked it! it was interesting to catch little tidbits of info and moves that trainers to the stars shared!

2) i've found a snack that i really like. PEANUTS! i use to take a lunch at 11:00 every day for the last 3 or so years. but now that i've changed jobs, my lunch is at 12 noon. add to that my breakfast is at 5 am followed by a workout and i'm starved at 10 am! i've never been to good with keeping snacks at work because i tend to eat it all. but, with peanuts it's so different! i don't crave them. and i can't eat too much of them. so- when i'm getting hungry i pour a capful and eat those and i'm fine till lunch or dinner in the case of afternoon munchies. it works so well!!

eta: and i'm a veggie, so the peanuts are a good way for me to sneak in protein!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thanks Rod! You truly have helped me so much with this and I am very grateful!
emrose.gif
I will just have to stick with it, maybe this tiredness is like a fog, my brain doesn't feel as if it is firing as quickly at the moment. I think losing the nicotine is the way to go, as I do believe it is prolonging the addiction. I know the companies who make NRT say you should stick with the course for 3 months, but cynical me thinks "well they want to sell this stuff" and I fail to see any real evidence that by keeping the drug in your body that long is helping long term. I think the sooner I get rid of the nicotine, the sooner I will stop craving it. So I have only had 2 pieces of gum today and it is 3pm, if I can manage on that then surely I can manage on none.

JC that is even more admirable to run with the treadmill so steep, when I walk on it cranked that much I think I am going to slide off! Great job!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2006 9:57:34 AM
also wanted to share a few other things.

sorry if someone has already mentioned this, i haven''t read every post in this thread--

1) anyone watch workout on bravo?? i watched it last night and i have to say i REALLY liked it! it was interesting to catch little tidbits of info and moves that trainers to the stars shared!

2) i''ve found a snack that i really like. PEANUTS! i use to take a lunch at 11:00 every day for the last 3 or so years. but now that i''ve changed jobs, my lunch is at 12 noon. add to that my breakfast is at 5 am followed by a workout and i''m starved at 10 am! i''ve never been to good with keeping snacks at work because i tend to eat it all. but, with peanuts it''s so different! i don''t crave them. and i can''t eat too much of them. so- when i''m getting hungry i pour a capful and eat those and i''m fine till lunch or dinner in the case of afternoon munchies. it works so well!!
Excellent advice Jcrow. Eating more often is a good thing, particularly for people who exercise. It actually stimulated the metabolism and helps your body burn more calories more efficiently. For me, I find that unprocessed almonds and raisins work the best. I have a tub of this mixture in my desk and at home. I have a couple of handfuls @ 11:00 AM and after 3:00 PM every day.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 9:57:08 AM
Author: Rod

Date: 8/9/2006 9:52:29 AM

ATTAGIRL Jcrow!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
thanks!! i know it''s such a small step, but i''m very proud
9.gif

i''ve always been scared of running.
You go Jcrow. I understand what you experienced. I never ran as a child. I was fat. I never ran as a teenager. I was fatter. By the adulthood set in, I did lose some weight, but never exercised and I smoked, so running wasn''t in the cards. Now at 51 and a full year off tobacco, I work out non stop and then it hit me. Rod wanted to run. I felt this odd overwhelming desire, no, need to put one foot in front of the other and just run. So I did. And the first time I ran outside, I ran a mile withouth stopping. Then two miles. Then three miles. You''ve no doubt heard about a runners high. It''s true. At about 3 miles, this sense of euphoria sets in and you feel as if you could run indefinitely and with a happiness that''s hard to describe.

I hope you keep up the great work!!!!!
yes it''s very surreal! i''ve always been active- my whole life i''ve been in dancing which can be very rigorous. then in college each semester i took weight lifting (beginners) and or aerobics, dancing or tennis. so i consider myself physically not a couch potatoe. but i always said i wasn''t built for running. that wasn''t MY thing. but oh,the last few months, i''ve had this desire to just run. i don''t know where it came from?!

but anyway, i''m glad i tried and did ok- at least for my first small start.

and i know so many say that running is bad for you. that''s another reason why i''ve kept to the elliptical or walking on the treadmil, but i don''t know there''s something good about running too... i feel it. in a good way of course
16.gif

so, i''ll continue to try it out a bit.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh, raisins and almonds. i''m sure that works too. can''t eat too many raisins. or at least i can''t.
and i wanted to mention i get the peanuts without salt but dry roasted. target makes a fabulous container of them!! beats planter''s anyday!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 9:58:57 AM

JC that is even more admirable to run with the treadmill so steep, when I walk on it cranked that much I think I am going to slide off! Great job!
well the trainer that was training my friend, made her run on incline. i thought she was nuts!! i thought NO way!! so i walked it. but i''m going to get up the stamina to do running on an incline to reap the full (or slim) butt and theigh benefits!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I ADORE PEANUTS
18.gif
Trouble is I can't be disciplined with them as I can't stop eating them so I only allow myself some at Christmas
15.gif
I do enjoy them though!
3.gif
I don't like raisins as I hate the little stoney/ pippy hard thingies in them.

JC I might try a little trot on the treadmill at an incline. I prefer it if there is someone running on the treadmill when i am on the crosstrainer as I like to use their running rhythm for my workout!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Morning everyone,
Since I had no library tape last night to workout to, I was very tempted to do nothing. But.... I met my bf and we went running together. Ok, not exactly together but we started and ended about the same time. He was way ahead and I did my own thing. Boy is running outside so much harder for me than on the treadmill. I could barely do 2 minutes w/o stopping and I''ve gotten to 5 min. on the treadmill.
7.gif
But I know that my body has to adjust to the difference so I really am going to try to start running outside at least once/wk. Hopefully I will begin to stick w/that goal. Anyway, only "ran" for 14 minutes, running for 1-2 min., walking for 1-2 minutes, etc... Then b/c I felt like a slacker since I go for 30 min. at the gym, I did some leg lifts and jumping jacks. Tonight, I''m not sure what I''ll do since I can''t make it to the gym. I''m thinking of trying to run outside again. There''s a track nearby me which I like and have ridden my bike to before. Then I can see how far I get w/o having to keep looking at my watch.

Lorelei, congratulations! I am very impressed and glad it''s getting easier. I really don''t know anything about quitting smoking but what you were saying about the gum makes sense. Probably a good idea to ease off it or just quit altogether if you can. But keep up the good work! Sorry it''s making you tired though, although it makes sense that it would b/c your body is completely re-adjusting to this new way of living.

Jcrow, great job on the workout! I''ve had this feeling of wanting to run for a long time. For awhile, I had severe back problems so I couldn''t but recently, I started this program on www.coolrunning.com. It has a beginner''s running program. I do each phase for 2 weeks so the program has taken me awhile longer. I really like it. I started from not running at all and now am up to 5 minute spurts...which is huge for me! I used to always walk at an incline but decided not to try and run on an incline since it is already so hard on your body and I wanted to be careful for my back.

Coda, 10.5 miles is great! You are out there working out consistently and that''s the most important thing.
TG, that''s good that you''re able to eat well while out of town. That''s always tough for me. I''m going out of town for the weekend and am going to try and eat reasonably well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats lorelei on making it to day 12! you WILL beat it, you are doing fabulously!! yay for dixie and hi to rod!

kudos jcrow on starting to run and succeeding. i am also a scared runner, my body just doesn't seem to like it but maybe one day i will have that NEED like you did. it's great to accomplish something that seemed out of range just a minute or two ago!

go coda!! it's awesome that you just powered through it. i often think that much of our hangups on workouts and the like are mental, i think our bodies are capable of so much but we mentally limit ourselves. i am sure i do that with running as well. when is the marathon again? you know even if you walk parts of it or jog parts of it, finishing is a huge accomplishment in and of itself! you don't have to power through it yanno!

oh and crow i find that unprocessed, plain almonds are a GREAT kick in the butt snack for me. i love dry roasted peanuts in general, but i feel like i am eating processed stuff when i eat that as a snack and i am trying to get rid of some of that AND i am like lorelei in that i'd eat the whole tub, so my coworker has some totally dry plain almonds and i have been eating a handful of them every other day or so and they are a great snack, lots of protein and fiber. it hits the spot, it's just tasty enough but not SO much that i want to keep eating them. the perfect snack for me.

so i have a summer cold...
39.gif
i'm so bummed, i'm congested with a sore throat but i made myself get up this morning when greg did and i went to the little gym with him (yesterday was a day off for his bday so no workout, just lots of eating!)...and i did my treadmill excercise for 28 minutes, burned 250 calories and walked 1.9 miles at a 4-5 incline and 4-4.5 walking speed. i like the incline on the treadmill because i don't get that typically when i am walking around the park and the blocks...it's all flat. so the incline is a great way to make it harder for me. then i did some of the circuit weight training for my arms and then some situps and stretching when we got back to the room. i always feel better after i workout, especially with a cold. it's like the workout dries up all the cold but then of course it comes back.

anyhow...everyone is doing fabulously!!!! i also wanted to say i LOVE reading this thread! i always wonder how everyone is doing and who checked in...hhaa. our group is wonderful and it really motivates and inspires me to read about your guys' successes.

okay back to my previously scheduled palm springs R&R. have a wonderful day everyone.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Jcrow - I feel so motivated by your post! While I was on my little running kick in college I just loved it, and it was probably the most effective aerobic workout I''ve ever done, in terms of inches lost. But my poor knees just can''t handle it without expert intervention and I had to stop. Keep up the good work girl!! RE snacks, I keep a bag of dried turkish apricots or craisins in my desk, they''re substantial and chewy, and just sweet enough to make me only eat a few. Plus they count as a fruit serving.

Rod - Glad you agree! But what muscles is that working for me I wonder....
26.gif

Thanks for the compliment as well! Gotta love those firey rainbows!
30.gif

I walked in to work this morning as well, but I need to take the city bus to an appointment this afternoon so I''ll only get my 5 minute walk in. Maybe DH and I can go on a walk around our neighborhood tonight too. I''ll let y''all know tomorrow! And dixie - I thought about taking the stairs up to our main office today, does that count too?
2.gif
We can do it!!

Last night I ate very well for dinner - couscous with steamed veggies and chickpeas with a tiny bit of butter, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, cayenne, and basil (I''m a vegetarian). And then I had 2 slice of banana bread for dessert... at least I made the bread with whole wheat flour!

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
for those of you who run on treadmills. try a slight incline even. i find that it reduced the impact of each stride (i run smoother that way).
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results