shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 15th Jan till 21st Jan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooooh Kimberly I am soooo excited that you posted your Eggplant Parmesan Lasagna recipe in the recipe thread!! I was thinking about trying to recreate my mom''s eggplant parmesan but couldn''t figure out how (my mom refuses to cook by recipes. She always tells me, add a little of this, and a lot of that...but how is that supposed to help me?). She makes just the eggplant parmesan...no lasagna noodles and I''m totally addicted to it.

I''m gonna make it on Friday...can''t wait!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Mara I was at Alana''s for breakfast on Monday morning!!!! We had Crepevine on Sunday morning (love those chicken apple sausages that seem to be a staple in Burlingame!)

I was watching them make the oatmeal pancakes and almost got those...but I love eggs so I got one of the scrambles. I didn''t know about getting egg white scrambles, but next time I''m there (I know I will be there many times to see the baby) I''ll make sure to ask for egg whites!!!!!

So crazy that you were there too! That whole shopping area is a 2 minute walk from their apartment, so it was lots of fun. We bought a few baby presents. Can''t wait to go back.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the oatmeal pancakes are pretty healthy actually, i bought a container of the mix...and they suggest making it with low-fat buttermilk and egg whites, so hopefully that is how they make theirs!

crepevine is awesome as well, they have GREAT sandwiches and fun juice drinks too. we have eaten at crepevine the last few times we were there for shopping...super yummy as well.

also there is another bakery up the street that serves lunch and breakfast as well, can''t remember the name but one half/side of it is a bakery and the other is the restaurant. the bakery has the BEST cookies and brownies and CUPCAKES ever. yum!

next time you are visiting, we should hook up and eat some yummy food!

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
rose, I don''t think you can lose size in any one particular area by exercising. if you reduce calories or increase cardio, or both, you''ll lose size all over--or maybe more in some places and less in others, it just depends on your body.

bee, awesome weight loss! good for you! keep it up and remember it''s for life, so have fun with your new fat-burning, healthy-eating, exercising lifestyle!

not being in school and working very little is getting boring, although it''s been a great time to evolve my culinary skills and try new and healthy recipes. not to mention 2 hours at the gym every leisurely morning. So, it''s not too bad but I couldn''t do this forever, at least w/out kids. When I saw that the Y was closed today b/c of ice (i''m in tx where we have to stop everything we''re doing when water freezes), I was sooo upset, like what in the heck am I going to do now?? I''ve gotten really addicted to exercising and was so excited with my new ipod. So I walked around downtown for 45 min all bundled up b/c I was out there anyhow, and came home and did some sit ups, leg lifts, etc.

mm mcdonalds...i think i''ll go there tomorrow morning and get an egg mcmuffin w/ no ham. it''s on my way to the Y

3.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2007 3:56:26 PM
Author: Rosebud8506

This morning I managed to do another round on the elliptical for 600 calories and increased the incline up a couple. Does anyone notice any upper backpain when on the ellip.? Since I''ve been doing it, I have some tension in my shoulders, and trying to find out if its from that. I am trying to not lean over, but maybe its the shifting and my posture is thrown off a bit.

Rosebud, I did the eliptical on Saturday and Monday for an hour each, then yesterday (Tuesday) I could barely turn my head to the left without an horrible shooting pain down my back. I was wondering too if it was the way I stand or move on the machine because I''ve had other back issues since I started working out (but I''ve just written those off to sleeping wrong since I have to contend with my husband and The Demon, both of which are big bed hogs and I end up scrunched up in the top corner of the bed in a ball).

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I just finished making the Cooking Light Texas Sheet Cake, while I haven't sampled the completed masterpiece b/c it is cooling, I almost licked the bowl clean because the icing was so good, so I don't think I'll be disappointed at all.

Here is the recipe link if anyone wants to make it.
http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=577276

It is rated 5 stars and after almost forgetting the icing was for the cake I can see why.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
CJ: So glad I posted a recipe that appeals to someone! We absolutely love it, I make it fairly often. You''ll be amazed at how perfect the eggplant comes out. Id do much larger slices if you''re skipping the pasts, but I''m sure you''ve already figured that out!

Rose: I went from 125 lbs up to 200 lbs and back down to 135 lbs and have never changed my cupsize in about a 5 year time frame. For some women it just isn''t possible. I hope that if you are totally uncomfortable with your size you can make a change for your sake, but there is no such thing as spot weight loss and some things about our bodies simply won''t ever change.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
well, my eating for the day has gotten messed up. lunch with my dad got cancelled, so i got talked into ordering chinese with some coworkers. i got a tofu and veggie stir fry with steamed rice, not too terrible, but i was soooooo hungry about 2 hours later. so then i polished off a bunch of baby carrots, followed by a berry muffin about an hour later. and i definitely feel like i could eat more! all the snacking wouldn''t be so bad but i''m sure that my lunch had alot more calories than usual, so i feel like i should be trying to go easy on food the rest of the day. hopefully the insane cravings will stop soon. moral of the story: no more chinese food for me!

apple, that cake sounds like a dangerous thing to have in the house...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I have been thinking about the Turkey Lasagna, and now I have a question...

Mine did come out too wet...which was my fault as my dish was too small so too much sauce in relation to the pasta. However, I am wondering...why add the 1/2 cup of water into the sauce? Is there a specific reason for this? I am thinking of making it again and wonder if I should omit the water...

Just came back from an hour of walking hills near my house. Lunch was open face tuna sandwich on Costco''s rosemary bread from la brea bakery (love that bread). It''s so yummy toasted! Plus a cup of TJ''s roasted tomato garlic soup.

Afternoon snack will be corn on the cob...mmmm.

Is there a thread somewhere on Favorites from Trader Joe''s? If not, I think we should start one!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG the 1/2 water was in the original recipe and I just left it in. I find that with the right dish it basically absorbs while cooking (and a day later the whole thing is totally absorbed basically). You can probably omit it and add it in during cooking if you find the lasagna looking too dry. I think that it's really for the no boil lasagna stuff but it seems like the tomato sauce cooks that okay.

So far I had a chocolate brownie cookie for a snack (120 cals from TJ and they are seriously YUM...hard to just eat one)...and a 1/2 bag 100 cal popcorn...and a few strawberries and a baggie of fiber one plus cereal. Snack happy? YES. Butterball turkey here. Rolling out.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, that is what I thought it may be for, but the tomato sauce seems to really do the trick. OK, I will practice.
1.gif
Thanks!

I couldn''t do TJ''s cookies. I can stop at eating one piece of chocolate. But cookies? No way. Pie crusts and cookies are my weakness.
15.gif

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
about lasagna...I have a very serious comment to make.

use the lasagne noodles that DO NOT say "no boil" on the box. Just the regular ones. And then make the lasagne as you would with the "no boil" noodles (i.e. don''t boil the noodles). Use the extra 1/2 cup of water. I''m serious ladies. please try this. It is better. I promise!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 5:08:50 PM
Author: KimberlyH
CJ: So glad I posted a recipe that appeals to someone! We absolutely love it, I make it fairly often. You''ll be amazed at how perfect the eggplant comes out. Id do much larger slices if you''re skipping the pasts, but I''m sure you''ve already figured that out!

Rose: I went from 125 lbs up to 200 lbs and back down to 135 lbs and have never changed my cupsize in about a 5 year time frame. For some women it just isn''t possible. I hope that if you are totally uncomfortable with your size you can make a change for your sake, but there is no such thing as spot weight loss and some things about our bodies simply won''t ever change.
Kim: I just jumped from a 34D to a 34DD in less than a year, so I am wondering if I just work out a bit more, then maybe it will be the first thing I lose? I''m thinking that''s not the case from what you ladies are saying. That stinks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
rosebud, if you JUST gained there, you might lose it!!

nejarb, maybe i will regular noodles next time. i am a just a bit paranoid to use them since they are super thick compared to the no boil and what if they end up hard? i hate hard noodles!!!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 4:42:51 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

This morning I managed to do another round on the elliptical for 600 calories and increased the incline up a couple. Does anyone notice any upper backpain when on the ellip.? Since I''ve been doing it, I have some tension in my shoulders, and trying to find out if its from that. I am trying to not lean over, but maybe its the shifting and my posture is thrown off a bit.

Rosebud, I did the eliptical on Saturday and Monday for an hour each, then yesterday (Tuesday) I could barely turn my head to the left without an horrible shooting pain down my back. I was wondering too if it was the way I stand or move on the machine because I''ve had other back issues since I started working out (but I''ve just written those off to sleeping wrong since I have to contend with my husband and The Demon, both of which are big bed hogs and I end up scrunched up in the top corner of the bed in a ball).
Dee jay, I thought the very same thing. We have a firm mattress at home and usually that alleviates the back problems I tend to have, but ever since I have been doing the elip. every other day, I have the same issue. I wonder if its the pace I''m going and not the incline? Hmm.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 6:46:20 PM
Author: Mara

nejarb, maybe i will regular noodles next time. i am a just a bit paranoid to use them since they are super thick compared to the no boil and what if they end up hard? i hate hard noodles!!!
Hm...but it makes sense to me that this may work...

But I wonder if they have more calories? The no boil ones were so thin....

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 6:46:20 PM
Author: Mara

Mara: that is the only place that will not SHRINK! My booty and thighs have tightened in the months I''ve been working out (my major problem areas) but the chest size won''t
8.gif
Guess I can''t complain, I''m glad to see some results.
36.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 6:42:10 PM

Date: 1/17/2007 5:08:50 PM
Author: KimberlyH

Kim: I just jumped from a 34D to a 34DD in less than a year, so I am wondering if I just work out a bit more, then maybe it will be the first thing I lose? I''m thinking that''s not the case from what you ladies are saying. That stinks!
If you''ve gained a cup size in less than a year my guess is that you may be able to lose it. I have been the same cup size since I was 12. One thing you may want to check is are you a 34DD or a 36D. Something like 85% of women wear the wrong bra size. Hope I''m not out of line for suggesting this, it''s just a thought.

Good luck!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2007 6:46:21 PM

This morning I managed to do another round on the elliptical for 600 calories and increased the incline up a couple. Does anyone notice any upper backpain when on the ellip.? Since I've been doing it, I have some tension in my shoulders, and trying to find out if its from that. I am trying to not lean over, but maybe its the shifting and my posture is thrown off a bit.

Rosebud, I did the eliptical on Saturday and Monday for an hour each, then yesterday (Tuesday) I could barely turn my head to the left without an horrible shooting pain down my back. I was wondering too if it was the way I stand or move on the machine because I've had other back issues since I started working out (but I've just written those off to sleeping wrong since I have to contend with my husband and The Demon, both of which are big bed hogs and I end up scrunched up in the top corner of the bed in a ball).

Dee jay, I thought the very same thing. We have a firm mattress at home and usually that alleviates the back problems I tend to have, but ever since I have been doing the elip. every other day, I have the same issue. I wonder if its the pace I'm going and not the incline? Hmm.

Rosebud, are you doing the arm things too? I am trying to use them for at least part of my workout and I wonder if that is throwing us forward or in some other direction enough to be detrimental? My problem is that I'm only five feet tall and if I really do the full extension on the arm things I am really stretching in kind of a weird way, so that might not apply to you if you're taller.

Anyway, just back from a little over an hour at the gym. When I got there all of the eliptical machines were taken so I decided to ride the bike until one came free. HOW ON EARTH did I manage to ride the bike for an entire hour on Saturday? In just the seven minutes it took for an eliptical to free up I thought I would absolutely die of boredom! Oh well, total of 650 cals between the bike and the eliptical.

Foodwise I've been pretty good today and even with the wine that we're having for dinner I'm still only in the middle of my range. I think I need to change the way I eat though. Many days I leave the office and I've only had 400-500 calories, which is fine on a night when I'm going out or when the happy hubby is cooking something major. But for instance while he's gone skiing this week I think I need to eat a bigger lunch becuase I don't want to be scrounging around the kitchen looking for something to eat just to make sure I get enough calories, especially on the days when I work out, and I know I'll just be eating 300-500 frozen things or things that that happy hubby has already packaged up for me and put in the fridge in the evenings.

How does everyone break up their calories? Are they pretty even as far as lunch and dinner go or do you eat a bigger lunch or dinner?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 8:21:05 PM

Date: 1/17/2007 6:46:21 PM

Dee jay, I thought the very same thing. We have a firm mattress at home and usually that alleviates the back problems I tend to have, but ever since I have been doing the elip. every other day, I have the same issue. I wonder if its the pace I''m going and not the incline? Hmm.

Rosebud, are you doing the arm things too? I am trying to use them for at least part of my workout and I wonder if that is throwing us forward or in some other direction enough to be detrimental? My problem is that I''m only five feet tall and if I really do the full extension on the arm things I am really stretching in kind of a weird way, so that might not apply to you if you''re taller.

Anyway, just back from a little over an hour at the gym. When I got there all of the eliptical machines were taken so I decided to ride the bike until one came free. HOW ON EARTH did I manage to ride the bike for an entire hour on Saturday? In just the seven minutes it took for an eliptical to free up I thought I would absolutely die of boredom! Oh well, total of 650 cals between the bike and the eliptical.

Foodwise I''ve been pretty good today and even with the wine that we''re having for dinner I''m still only in the middle of my range. I think I need to change the way I eat though. Many days I leave the office and I''ve only had 400-500 calories, which is fine on a night when I''m going out or when the happy hubby is cooking something major. But for instance while he''s gone skiing this week I think I need to eat a bigger lunch becuase I don''t want to be scrounging around the kitchen looking for something to eat just to make sure I get enough calories, especially on the days when I work out, and I know I''ll just be eating 300-500 frozen things or things that that happy hubby has already packaged up for me and put in the fridge in the evenings.

How does everyone break up their calories? Are they pretty even as far as lunch and dinner go or do you eat a bigger lunch or dinner?
DeeJay: I, like you, love my wine, so I ended up using more calories up for dinner, in part because that is included in my totals. A typical day for me breaks down as follows:

Breakfast: 200
Lunch: 200-350
Dinner: 400-600
Snacks: 200-400

My snacks include a little sweet treat at the end of the night, usually frozen yogurt. I base my snacks on what I eat for the rest of the day. Sometimes I come in under calories for day, but it balances out on those days we go out to dinner, or I have a second glass of wine, etc.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
DJ, I do about 200 calories for breakfast, 400 calories or so for lunch if I want snacks, and by the time the afternoon treats are done, I like to be at 700-800 calories, which leaves me anywhere from 500-700 for dinner. Dinner has been pretty easy for calories but when I start to have wine again, I can pretty well allocate 150 calories of that to my evening glass (or two), so it will be harder.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Kim: I can wear a 36, but it tends to be a bit on the looser side, so a 34 fits my frame a bit better and *uplifted* if you will.
1.gif
I was told I was wearing the wrong size and they told me 34 is a better fit. That is why I''m hoping that addtional cardio will do the trick. *cross fingers*

DeeJay: I don''t do the arm things, I use the one w/o. I find it makes me move faster if I''m in a movement similiar to jogging.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I think I need to distribute my calories differently. I typically have oatmeal (75 cal) or fiber on w/ skim milk (110) calories for breakfast and 200-300 calories for lunch, and another 100 cal during the day some time. I need to eat more during the day and not have to worry about a large calorie load at night to make up the difference, especially close to bed time.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2007 1:50:18 AM
Author: TravelingGal
WHOO HOO Rod, that is just awesome. Hooray for PS fairy dust.
2.gif

Welcome Portia!

Well, managed to get my booty to the gym. Did an hour on elliptical and 20-25 minutes weights, so I probably burned around 650 calories or so.

I love having food choices in the house...makes me look forward to what to eat tomorrow!
36.gif
Thanks, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep the Fairy Dust flowing our way. We still have to sell our condo in Tampa, before we can close on the condo here in Raleigh. While buying the condo in Raleigh has been more challenging than we ever expected, we''re completely stuck unless our place in the sun sells. So, again..........Please keep the dust flowing our way!!

And thanks for the good wishes Ellen too. We hope this is the last move for us for a long long time!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2007 9:11:29 AM
Rod - That''s great news about the condo! When are you officially closing?

For the Wednesday morning weigh-in I''m am down 2 pounds from last week and down 5.5 pounds from when I started posting to this thread on Dec. 11. Life is good!!!

Today I''m having coffee and oatmeal for breakfast, soup for lunch, a banana for a snack, and who knows what the happy hubby is cooking for dinner. And I''ll go do an hour on the eliptical. Boring, but it works for me, LOL!
Thanks DeeJay......one of the stumbling blocks as I''ve mentioned is not having our place in Tampa sold, so getting a contingent offer accepted has been a challenge. But, luckily for us, the developer of the Uber Cool condo likes us enough to have given us a full three months from today to get our place in Tampa sold and close on the condo up here, with a 30 day extension posibility if necessary. It''s incredibly generous of them to take the unit completely off the market for the duration of the contingency. Pretty nice of them.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
how i typically break up my cals:
200-250 in the mornings (weekend might be 300)
125 for snack before lunch (aka fruit or a muffin)
150-300 for lunch depending on what i''m having
200-300 for snack depending on the day
400-700 for dinner depending on the day
my totals are typically around 1400-1700 depending on the day.

but lately man! so this week...of course the non working out week, it seems like all i can think of is FOOD. i mean i''m not eating crap (mcdonalds splurge today doesnt count lol) but it just is a lot of food. i am averaging like 1750 cals per day this week so far. and i average LESS previously when i was working out. maybe my body is playing catch up. the funny thing is i really never feel stuffed or too full during these days i have been eating more. if i did i would definitely not eat more. maybe it''s because i''m eating so many times a day now my body is more efficient at processing? totally weird. in any case...i programmed my sparkpeople to say i wanted to GAIN a lb between now and jan 31 just in case i can''t work out at all for another week or two and it said i could consume 1680-2100 cals per day with NO workouts to gain 1 lb between now and jan 31. so i feel okay about averaging 1700-1750ish now. and maybe i wasn''t eating enough before?

in any case, i just had a snack of 1/4c oatmeal with some maple syrup and sugar...greg missed his train so he won''t be home til 8 so dinner is delayed til then and better to pre-empt a snacking session by just eating some yummy oatmeal which i was thinking about anyway since it''s cold out. i just took portia for a short walk...i decided to try walking like 1/2-3/4 mile jaunts with her and tonite was the first one. so far so good, i feel okay, aka no worse than before. so hopefully i can continue to do this like every day or every other day, slowly working back up til i can do a 2-3 mile walk with no pain...then maybe that''s when i go back to the gym? who knows really but i am just glad to be getting out and doing SOMETHING other than parking my fanny on the couch and chowing down. gah. why did i ever think that was fun at any point in my life?? so tonite we did about 3/4 mile around the neighborhood. and p was off leash because that way i don''t have to deal with her yanking and pulling at me (and possibly straining my muscles trying to reign her in) and she was really good about staying with me the whole time and not getting too far ahead...we stayed on inside complex roads too so that helped. i wouldn''t take her out into the bigger neighborhoods off-leash but she was trained inside the complex originally so she stays with me.

anyhow dinner is TJ''s pizzas and a super basic salad just for some greens. i got the fixins to make this crockpot chili i found online that looks YUMMY and is very lean...i am using a mix of turkey and 8% fat beef, 2 types of beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, some spices and chili seasoning, onions etc and letting it all simmer in the cp all day. yum. and i also got my mom''s chicken soup recipe since we loved it and i am going to make that over the wkd and make a huge batch so we can eat it for a few days with some yummy bread and salads.

off to the couch with my heating pad!!! hope everyone had a fab day.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2007 10:48:49 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/17/2007 10:47:39 AM
Author: sumbride
Woo hoo! It''s Wednesday! Not only does this mean I''m home, working in my pjs, but that I can post my very successful trip to the scale! drumroll please... I''ve lost 11 pounds this week, for a total of 15 since the start of the year! I realize most of that is fluid, and I don''t expect that rate to continue (it better not!) but I''m thrilled!!! Woo hoo!
36.gif
Double WOO HOO!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DJ what kind of 75 cal oatmeal are you eating?!?! I eat 1/2 cup in the morning and that's 150 cals and seriously, it only keeps me full for like 2 hours.

I actually have been thinking I need to split up my morning cals diff. I eat my oatmeal which isn't keeping me as full as my fiber cereal used to. So I really should go back to fiber cereal. But I love this oatmeal stuff and have been having it every morning for almost 2 weeks and I'm so not sick of it yet. So I was thinking I would have 1/4c oatmeal in the morning just for the 'taste' and then it gives me another 100ish calories to use in my morning snack...which can then be whole grain toast with smart balance OR a nutrigrain eggo waffle with syrup or something more breakfastie which might tide me over rather than what is happening now...this afternoon snacking thing is killing me. I am SOOOOOO itchy during the afternoons. and I end up boredom eating. Which is something I never used to do. I talked with my coworker about us getting out and taking a walk when that happens (she feels it too...) but right now I can't really be out taking 45 minute walks due to my stomach. But once I can, oh boy...snacking watch out.

Oh and like TG I 'aim' to be around 700-850 cals by the time I get home so that I can eat a dinner of 400-700 and be okay either way.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 9:35:40 PM
Kim: I can wear a 36, but it tends to be a bit on the looser side, so a 34 fits my frame a bit better and *uplifted* if you will.
1.gif
I was told I was wearing the wrong size and they told me 34 is a better fit. That is why I''m hoping that addtional cardio will do the trick. *cross fingers*

DeeJay: I don''t do the arm things, I use the one w/o. I find it makes me move faster if I''m in a movement similiar to jogging.
Okay, Rose, I am totally keeping my fingers crossed for you. I stated it in the thread about implants, I''m getting at age 35 come hell or high water. I totally feel your pain, which is why I don''t want you to be disappointed if you don''t lose in that area.

DJ: Ditto Mara''s question!?! I have been eating oatmeal every morning for 3 years, I eat the prepackaged Quaker Instant and it''s typically 140 cals per package and I put about 30 calories of 1% milk on it. How do you have oatmeal for 75 calories? I thought the portion I was eating was small.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Wednesday Everyone.

Had another long day, but it was a good one. Of course, I went directly from the office to the gym and had my usual long workout. I pushed he level on the elliptical, so I only travled obout 8.5 miles in 45 minutes, but I burned more calories and I could definitely feel it in my leg towards the end. Otherwise, I won''t bore you with the details, as there was nothing new. Tomorrow, weather permitting (they are calling for mixed frozen precipitation - yuck
23.gif
), will be our usual 3rd day of three days in a row.

We received the fully executed copy of the contract on the Uber Cool Condo. Now the clock is ticking and I need all the PS Fairy Dust you all can send our way, so we can get our condo in Tampa sold and get our life fully transitioned up here.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results