shape
carat
color
clarity

watch gurus - ulysse nardin?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahaha Deco, I didn't - not yet...bonuses don't happen until May. And I'm not spending this kind money because I'd die with guilt, because, hello...college fund for Amelia! I don't mind spending some on myself because I work hard all year, but the most I could afford is probably the steel/no diamonds version, and ONLY if I could get it discounted online.

I haven't decided what I am going to do yet though...I thought about it today. All my shirts are like, $5 from the clearance racks at marshalls. I wear flip flops 90% of the time and I only have one pair now and they are 2 years old. I buy make up once a year, and don't have much...probably spend $50 annually. Two haircuts a year. Seriously, with the money I don't spend, I could afford this watch. But to spend it all at once. Holy moly...

So do you like the moonphase one best? Someone on the other thread liked the transatlatique with my ring, but I don't really care about matching.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1299201451|2864224 said:
So do you like the moonphase one best? Someone on the other thread liked the transatlatique with my ring, but I don't really care about matching.

yeah,they are good for keeping track of women's menstrual cycle... :bigsmile:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do like the Translantique a lot too .... I actually thought you'd prefer that one because of the more blueish tint (at least in the photo). They're both gorge-jois.

I've been wearing a beefy men's watch around lately but mine is a FauxMega. Tried to take some pix for you last night -- of that and my real Tiff tank watch with my set. But my camera's dead so they are cell phone pix & awful. I wish I was @ a luxury watch buying time in my life! WHAT FUN!!!!! Will live vicariously through you, my $5 flip flop pal! :bigsmile:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, I like that "beefy" look on you! Although both watches look great. The watches don't look as beefy as the pics (especially the Breguet). I need to be smart about this (well, as smart as one can be looking at luxury watches). I think I'll save part of this year's bonus, and part of next year's, then hold off and buy it for myself for a 40th birthday present. I mean, what do I do for my 40th, if I splurge on myself for 38.5? Kind of silly. Plus reward is sweeter when you work and wait for it.

Plus at 40, I'm bonafide mature, right? I can get away with such a watch better, even in flip flops? Hm....

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a great idea if you can muster up that kind of self control! It would be an epic way to celebrate 40 ... and somehow 7K a year seems more reasonable than 15K one year. HA! We just had what I considered a huge purchase of a new bed ... since DH's was old-n-creaky. Somehow he scored enough freelance work all of a sudden to replenish our savings for the exact amount I was having a heart attack parting with. Wanna hear something hilarious ... we can't talk about our savings here in the house because we've begun to be suspicious that our HOUSE hears us. Everytime we get a comfortable amount in there and get giddy about it within HOUSE earshot some major thing goes wrong with this dusty old money pit. Sooooo ... please don't tell our house about the mystery magical replenishment! (Oh god -- folks will REALLY think I'm crazy now. Whatevs .... :twirl: )

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is TOO funny.

Just to clarify, I am NOT going to spend 15K on a watch. Ever. I am not in a place in my life to do that, mentally or financially. OK, financially I could, but don't think that's wise. And I'm in sales...I'm not some high powered exec...it would be silly.

I would try to get the steel for around 7-8K. I would save $3500 per year and do it that way. That sounds reasonable, because I know I save $3500 annually with how little I save on myself.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gotcha. Does the one you tried on have a crocodile band? Would the stainless have diamonds? How will you find these online bargooons. Inquiring minds! :rodent:

Waiting a bit would also give you time to cement your final pick. New stuff comes out all ze time, yanno?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1299272790|2864833 said:
Gotcha. Does the one you tried on have a crocodile band? Would the stainless have diamonds? How will you find these online bargooons. Inquiring minds! :rodent:

Waiting a bit would also give you time to cement your final pick. New stuff comes out all ze time, yanno?

I do like the croc band. The stainless version of the blancpain (meaning face, not bracelet), has diamonds on the dial, so I could get my fix that way. I think it's 5K cheaper without the diamond bezel. I'd find a gray market dealer, or find one secondhand (which is almost impossible with the model I want). I'm seeing the watch new with papers for about 7500 here and there, but I think the manufacturer's warranty wouldn't come included.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Well, shows how little I "know" people--all the watches you showed have diamond bezels...that is the LAST style I thought "you'd" want!!
Of course the watches you fashioned are gorgeous, but what about something, plain? Lange = plain = 2die4sexy. :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1299280526|2864941 said:
HI:

Well, shows how little I "know" people--all the watches you showed have diamond bezels...that is the LAST style I thought "you'd" want!!
Of course the watches you fashioned are gorgeous, but what about something, plain? Lange = plain = 2die4sexy. :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

Ha Sharon, you're actually not off the mark. I LURVE diamonds of course, and would love bling, but it's really not *me*. I want the Blancpain with just a steel case...much plainer, although the face would still be the same. More budget friendly, of course, and a little bling on the dial to boot.

2360-1191a-55_main.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I should add there weren't many choices for plain bezels at the boutique, so I was limited in what I wanted to try on!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1299282703|2864981 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Ha Sharon, you're actually not off the mark. I LURVE diamonds of course, and would love bling, but it's really not *me*. I want the Blancpain with just a steel case...much plainer, although the face would still be the same. More budget friendly, of course, and a little bling on the dial to boot.

ohhh, sweet read! Nothing is lost on this beauty for want of a diamond bezel.....:love:

cheers--Sharon

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal|1299193347|2864122 said:
And finally, THE watch for me...a Blancpain Moonphase. :love: I would have never guessed I would like this watch so much, but it fit great on my wrist, I loved the profile and the MOP face. I also did try on the small Jaeger Reverso at another store today and it looked AWFUL on me. And boring. Somehow, I thought the petite watch would be better on my petite wrist, but the rest of me isn't petite enough so it looked lame. Plus I guess for the money, I decided I wanted a little more punch, hence blingy bezel, hehe.

Hi TG

I love the Blancpain Moonphase on you! It looks gorgeous.

If I am not too late to this thread, heres another option, if you do not like the small Reverso, what about this JLC RDM but without diamonds in the bezel? Like DH and also DF said before, JLC has the best value in high-end watches!

jlc 012.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon, thanks!

Megeve, that is gorgeous...but I think I would need to have that watch AS IS! :love:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1299520085|2866689 said:
Megeve, that is gorgeous...but I think I would need to have that watch AS IS! :love:
WERD. Pillowy perfection.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
megeve|1299492047|2866495 said:
And finally, THE watch for me...a Blancpain Moonphase. :love: I would have never guessed I would like this watch so much, but it fit great on my wrist, I loved the profile and the MOP face. I also did try on the small Jaeger Reverso at another store today and it looked AWFUL on me. And boring. Somehow, I thought the petite watch would be better on my petite wrist, but the rest of me isn't petite enough so it looked lame. Plus I guess for the money, I decided I wanted a little more punch, hence blingy bezel, hehe.

Hi TG

If I am not too late to this thread, heres another option, if you do not like the small Reverso, what about this JLC RDM but without diamonds in the bezel? Like DH and also DF said before, JLC has the best value in high-end watches!

What a stunner! :appl:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1299282703|2864981 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

So if anyone is still reading, what do you think of this Zenith compared to the blancpain I posted above (the one with the dark blue strap?) Both have MOP faces. The Zenith is far more reasonably priced.

product_4308_215_2_0.jpg

2360-1191a-55_main.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmmm. Well. I like your original pick better ... but not sure HOW MUCH better. Def. $500 better. 1K better? I start to waver. It's difficult to see the MOP in the 2nd watch so that might be throwing me off. Heck, after seeing Megeve's Jaeger again I'm starting to think you should get THAT ONE! :naughty: :devil:

ETA: Just cut back & buy $2.50 tshirts instead of those luxury $6 tees. :bigsmile:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1303154039|2899274 said:
Hmmmmmm. Well. I like your original pick better ... but not sure HOW MUCH better. Def. $500 better. 1K better? I start to waver. It's difficult to see the MOP in the 2nd watch so that might be throwing me off. Heck, after seeing Megeve's Jaeger again I'm starting to think you should get THAT ONE! :naughty: :devil:

ETA: Just cut back & buy $2.50 tshirts instead of those luxury $6 tees. :bigsmile:

Deco, on the list, it's like...7K difference. In terms of street, probably more like a 4K difference, so it's pretty big.

The Zenith is 33mm vs 34 on the Blancpain, although the BP is bulkie since the Zenith is a thin profile. The face reminds me of my dad's retro seiko, which I kind of like.

Will see if I can't go try on some this weekend, since I have to head down to the OC to get my hair cut.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would def help to see it on your wrist (for you & for us ... ha! take pix!) I like the idea of thinner profile in terms of comfort. For that amt. of difference -- I'd give the Zenith *serious* consideration.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
2 other zenith for consideration...more expensive than the one I posted, but less than the blancpain.

592728_large2.jpg

592740_large2.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1303157044|2899329 said:
I saw the Zenith moonphase one with a diamond bezel somewhere ... is that one out of the running?

ETA: http://wristwatches-buy.com/watches...lass-lady-moonphase-diamonds-white-dial_11989

And here http://www.watchworldmagazine.com/watchworld/vol9/topten7.asp

I think that the diamond bezel really adds some of the interesting *detail* that your 1st choice had. And a WOW factor. I don't really dig the new Zenith.

Deco, when you say new Zenith, do you mean the last two that I posted?

And I agree...I love the diamond bezel on the class moonphase, and since it's a smaller size, I think it would be more tasteful and not overly blingly. However, the list, I think, on the diamond version is $13K. The non diamond is a little over 4K. Now come on...just being a PSer, I don't see how a diamond bezel can be an 8K difference!!!! I should find the prices and double check again.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aha...I was looking I think at the rose gold one...the SS one with diamonds is 7K vs 4.4K...makes more sense....

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1303157477|2899333 said:
Deco, when you say new Zenith, do you mean the last two that I posted?
Ha! You're right ... there were TWO. They kinda looked alike to me but now I see the differences. It's the face design that troubles me & the both have it. I know lots of high-end watches have that kind of starburst pattern or whatnot ... just not my fave.

And I think the stark rim of the first Zenith is the sticking point for me on that one. Where the Blancpin has that lovely double ribbed deco kind of edge -- the Zenith is very modern, stark, harsh looking kind of -- which seems a bit out of balance with the cushy band. Where the diamond bezel makes it softer somehow. Dunno. I'm not making sense am I?

ETA: Actually, I think my FauxMega has that kind of wiggly starbursty thing & it doesn't bother me so much in person, so maybe it wouldn't be a big deal! I just SO picture you with MOP that I'm having trouble making the switch mentally! :tongue:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, got it...yeah, I really want a MOP face...I'm not as much a fan of that "Starburst" thing that you posted (there's a name for that kind of face...it escapes me at the moment...think it starts with a "G")

Here's a more IRL pic of a Zenith Class Elite with diamonds. This one doesn't have the moonphase and the dial pattern is slightly different, but it gives you a better idea.

16-1025-680-80-C664.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
megeve|1299492047|2866495 said:

Hi TG

While yours is absolutely elegant and classy, I gotta say, I do like the siren version too. :kiss:

(couldn't pull it off though)...

mrdmds.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like Zenith cuz they use in-house movements not sure about Blancpain.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results