carat
color
clarity

watch gurus - ulysse nardin?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1297252452|2847470 said:
Dang yer hide, TGal. Now you've got me jonesin' for watches again. I had put that particular vice on the back burner, and now I'm drooling again. Grrr! ;))
RGM??

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1297272778|2847688 said:
Dang yer hide, TGal. Now you've got me jonesin' for watches again. I had put that particular vice on the back burner, and now I'm drooling again. Grrr! ;))
RGM??

Well...DUH. But I'm not talking about those here because those are all large GUY watches, and TGal has said she's looking for "feminine" and smaller. I personally wouldn't care how big the thing was if it was a RGM....man but those are just KILLER.

BTW TGal...you likely won't find a ladies mechanincal under 32mm and that is a real downward stretch of mechanical limits. More like 34mm - 36mm as a "smaller" mechanical. If you want mechanical coolness, get used to the "boyfriend watch" size at least, if not look.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1297276427|2847741 said:
Dancing Fire|1297272778|2847688 said:
RGM??

Well...DUH. But I'm not talking about those here because those are all large GUY watches, and TGal has said she's looking for "feminine" and smaller. I personally wouldn't care how big the thing was if it was a RGM....man but those are just KILLER.

BTW TGal...you likely won't find a ladies mechanincal under 32mm and that is a real downward stretch of mechanical limits. More like 34mm - 36mm as a "smaller" mechanical. If you want mechanical coolness, get used to the "boyfriend watch" size at least, if not look.

ksinger, I totally noticed that as I was looking at watches last night. I think I'm OK with that. I actually drew circles and put them on my wrist. Zenith has baby ones at 32mm, which I kind of liked. But the JLC reverso stuff didn't seem that big, although I didn't note the measurements. Off to check now.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one DF posted is 33x20, so that's fine....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which one do you want Deco? And do you care if it's mechanical or quartz?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted one above ... and I did love that Patek that DF posted (WOWZA). I haven't looked in awhile, same as Ksinger -- trying to squelch the urge. And, honestly, I'm a huge novice about the different types. Have always just been drawn to the luxury tank styles (Cartier) but flipped when I saw the JLC Reversos and have been laser focused on them ever since. Purely aesthetically --- no hard thinking behind it. Other than the vaguest general sense they are well-made & desirable amongst watch folk. Sorry!!! I am POSER!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, I like that one, but not the black face...if it didn't have the black face, that would be a real temptation.

Not sure if I want leather or a bracelet though....

Have you tried them on? I haven't yet so I have to see if it looks good on my tiny tiny wrist...

I'm ok with being a poser from time to time. My J/SI1's keep me real. :cheeky:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have the Ebel Beluga and it is an excellent timepiece--runs very well. My sister has a newer model and like the "barrell" shape. I also have a Rolex and it is a workhorse. One Rolex is an automatic (datejust) and my Ebel is a quartz. No issues with either.

Sorry TG I know nothing of the watch you posted: but if money were no option I'd get this:

http://www.prestigetime.com/items.php?brand=54&series=804

I like the plain faced watches (no chronograph, etc, styles for me)--just the facts ma'am!

chers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Jaeger-LeCoultre/Reverso-Duetto/266.81.10.html

I think that's the bracelet one with the face you like (blueish MOP). I have tried a few on in a store & a close relative has a gold bracelet version. I think I was leaning toward a leather strap at the time due to budget constraints. ALSO because I have a stainless Tiffany tank watch that is, seriously, almost the same damn thing. At least a leather strap version would be SOMEWHAT different.

The main difference *feel* wise between my Tiff & the JLC bracelet tanks were that the JLC is more substantial. Not HEAVY per se ... but sturdy feeling. I just kvell for the deco striping above and below the face. Swoon.

Another crazy reason I like them is that the knock offs are FEW and FAR between. I searched an entire Turkish market for them and only found one vendor that had two watches. As opposed to the trillion Faulexes and Fauxmegas and Fautek Faullipes I phound.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1297283008|2847860 said:
http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Jaeger-LeCoultre/Reverso-Duetto/266.81.10.html

I think that's the bracelet one with the face you like (blueish MOP). I have tried a few on in a store & a close relative has a gold bracelet version. I think I was leaning toward a leather strap at the time due to budget constraints. ALSO because I have a stainless Tiffany tank watch that is, seriously, almost the same damn thing. At least a leather strap version would be SOMEWHAT different.

The main difference *feel* wise between my Tiff & the JLC bracelet tanks were that the JLC is more substantial. Not HEAVY per se ... but sturdy feeling. I just kvell for the deco striping above and below the face. Swoon.

Another crazy reason I like them is that the knock offs are FEW and FAR between. I searched an entire Turkish market for them and only found one vendor that had two watches. As opposed to the trillion Faulexes and Fauxmegas and Fautek Faullipes I phound.

Thats phunny!

At my age I have to be careful with colored watch faces--can't see the dam things!

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1297282574|2847848 said:
HI:

I have the Ebel Beluga and it is an excellent timepiece--runs very well. My sister has a newer model and like the "barrell" shape. I also have a Rolex and it is a workhorse. One Rolex is an automatic (datejust) and my Ebel is a quartz. No issues with either.

Sorry TG I know nothing of the watch you posted: but if money were no option I'd get this:

http://www.prestigetime.com/items.php?brand=54&series=804

I like the plain faced watches (no chronograph, etc, styles for me)--just the facts ma'am!

chers--Sharon

Oh, I'd have to have THIS one. LOVE those blued hands....

http://www.prestigetime.com/item/A.-Lange---Sohne/1815-Moonphase/212.050.html

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
As it turns out today, I have a meeting in an area with a dealer of many fine watches, so I will stop in.

Here's a question though...would you buy a preowned watch without papers?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1297357120|2848519 said:
As it turns out today, I have a meeting in an area with a dealer of many fine watches, so I will stop in.

i wouldn't mind if it was genuine.keep in mind that you can put a new leather strap (your choice of color ;)) on the watch and the watch will look as good as new.

i love this PP 5054 YG.when the watch was a current model (about 8 yrs ago) i could of bought it brand new for $12,900, now it had been discontinued and sellers are asking $20k for a nice preowned,should of bought one 8 yrs ago... ;(

http://cgi.ebay.com/Patek-Philippe-5054-Reference-5054J-001-18k-Yellow-Gold-/160521005179?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item255fcc287b

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1297357120|2848519 said:

Actually my first post here was on the perils of buying on the secondary market--but it sounded rather Debbie Downer so I erased it....watches give me pause. I might buy a Estate/previously loved watch if it were from a vendor that carried the brand and warrentied the piece. Moreover that same piece would have to have been recently returned to the original factory for servicing and have papers. Perhaps this is OOT but watches can be easily ruined and tinkered with...(oh the stories!)!

cheers--Sharon

mkfalcey

Rough_Rock
Hi Sharon,
I LOVE your asscher cut eternity band!! I looked all over PS for the total carat weight (and how much ea. stone weighs). Can you pls share, as it would really help as I design my own ring. A million thanks!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mkfalcey|1297881229|2853193 said:
Hi Sharon,
I LOVE your asscher cut eternity band!! I looked all over PS for the total carat weight (and how much ea. stone weighs). Can you pls share, as it would really help as I design my own ring. A million thanks!

HI:

Thanks! There are 17 x .35-.37 square emerald cut diamonds. 6.25 ctw. Good luck with your ring!

Back to TG's regular programming.....

cheers--Sharon

mkfalcey

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Sharon!! No wonder - 6.25 ctw is amazing. You designed a masterpiece :)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any updates? What did you try? Which did you like??????

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1297893820|2853384 said:
Any updates? What did you try? Which did you like??????

The update is that the AD I went to (a place in a locally dense Chinese area, so the sales people were all Chinese and treated me the way asians often do...I'll leave it at that) didn't have much for women. Almost all women's watches were quartz, and they didn't have much when it came to the watchmakers I wanted to look at.

So all I tried on was the Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso (the single face one). It looked very nice on my wrist, but I want to try the duetto!

ETA, oh and I brought my camera for wrist shots, but it wasn't going to happen at this place. At all.

Neil Jack

Rough_Rock
I had put that particular vice on the back burner

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I got to try on another jaeger today, and surprisingly, I really didn't like it at all! The square face just didn't look right on my wrist...the smaller one too dainty and the larger one looked awkward. I think I'm going round face. My wrist is so scrawny that I thought petite would be better, but a 33m face round face looked pretty nice.

They had preowned watches and I saw the one below. Not anything I would have ever picked out from pics on the web, but it caught my eye and I tried it on and it looked great on the wrist. The preowned price was 12K, so I am moving on!

http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Breguet/Type-XX-Transatlatique---Ladies/4821st~59~s76.d000.html

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
For those of you still following this thread, I thought I'd reward you with some eye candy...so here goes.

The Breguet Transatlantique. I was using my camera phone so taking good pics wasn't easy. This was the first watch I tried on, so the pics did get better after this.

2011-03-03 11.48.26.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, testing to see if I can get a couple of pics in one post. My computer won't let me do it for some reason.

Another of the Breguet, and a Glashutte.

2011-03-03 11.48.55.jpg

2011-03-03 12.06.14.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
A blancpain...I really didn't love this one as I have a tiny wrist and while it was only 34mm, the lugs and rubber strap made it totally sit funny.

2011-03-03 11.50.35.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And finally, THE watch for me...a Blancpain Moonphase. :love: I would have never guessed I would like this watch so much, but it fit great on my wrist, I loved the profile and the MOP face. I also did try on the small Jaeger Reverso at another store today and it looked AWFUL on me. And boring. Somehow, I thought the petite watch would be better on my petite wrist, but the rest of me isn't petite enough so it looked lame. Plus I guess for the money, I decided I wanted a little more punch, hence blingy bezel, hehe.

2011-03-03 11.58.57.jpg

2011-03-03 11.59.12.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. I LOVE it on you! Stupendous. What kind of cuckoo-crazy bonus did you get this year, lady? :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results