shape
carat
color
clarity

Vulgar Prom Dress!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I know nothing about European culture but I wanted to comment on why that dress in inappropriate for a teenager to wear to the prom. I have children and I also still have vivid memories of being an American teenager. If a girl dresssed too sexy then she would get whispered about. The girls called her a slut, the guys wondered if she would show that much of her body to the public, would she show more of it to him? Would she have sex with him? The kids make assumptions about their peers based on the way they are dressed- as do we all. Ever heard the expression, "clothes make the man"? Why do you think that is? We make our initial impressions about people based on what we see. Now, seeing a teenage girl dressed like that is going to give me the impression that she is promiscuious. Do I want people thinking about my daughter- NO WAY!! Would you want people thinking that about YOUR daughter?

Teenagers are still children!!! Even though their bodies may look like those of adults, they are children. A parent's primary responsibility is to protect our children, provide guidance and help them make the right decisions because they LACK THE MATURITY TO DO IT THEMSELVES!! Wearing that dress is going to send the wrong signal to a bunch of horny teenage boys. When 30 year old Jennifer Lopez wears it it's haute couture. Why?, because she's an adult. When a 16 year old girl wears it, it's inappropriate because she's still a child. I don't think you have to be a parent to understand that. Teenage rebellion is what it is. We don't have to be their friends, we have to be their parents.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I love the argument about the beauty of the human body - blah blah blah.

Now we are trying to equate our culture with cultures that walk around in the buff. It''s a dress designed to be provocative. PERIOD - it''s the anthisis of being comfortable in the nude.

Nope, never let a teen wear that out of my house. But, then, as PQ, I would hope the self police would intervene long before purchase.

I find it so humorous when someone tries to intellectulize something that''s just plain common sense. The dress is inappropriate for a teen. I find the dress inappropriate for an adult. Though, I would take pity on it''s wearer.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2005 9:35:26 AM
Author: pqcollectibles
My 15 year old daughters happened to see the 'prom gowns'. Both girls cringed and launched into some choice comments about certain girls they knew who would probably want to wear that type of dress to a dance. Both said they wouldn't be caught dead in anything that looked like that. I didn't have to say NO. My girls said NO themselves.

Many teens have at least a modium of taste and sensibility on occassion.
1.gif

I do not disagree with this. My daughter does not know about the dress and is far too young to go to a prom, but she dresses conservatively (at 12). Nonetheless, the dress *is* meant to shock...just as rap music is. And teens *do* want to shock. I think you are just saying that some teens are not willing to throw themselves off the CLIFF in order to shock and rebel!!! As Momoftwo and pearcrazy both said, the girls who wear this (although they will not be let into a prom) will either be the ones so popular that anything they do is OK (the JLos of high school) or those who are unhappy and desperate for attention. The former will be greatly admired and discussed; the latter will be gossiped about and reviled.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 12:16:16 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 1/28/2005 9:35:26 AM
Author: pqcollectibles
My 15 year old daughters happened to see the 'prom gowns'. Both girls cringed and launched into some choice comments about certain girls they knew who would probably want to wear that type of dress to a dance. Both said they wouldn't be caught dead in anything that looked like that. I didn't have to say NO. My girls said NO themselves.

Many teens have at least a modium of taste and sensibility on occassion.
1.gif

I do not disagree with this. My daughter does not know about the dress and is far too young to go to a prom, but she dresses conservatively (at 12). Nonetheless, the dress *is* meant to shock...just as rap music is. And teens *do* want to shock. I think you are just saying that some teens are not willing to throw themselves off the CLIFF in order to shock and rebel!!! As Momoftwo and pearcrazy both said, the girls who wear this (although they will not be let into a prom) will either be the ones so popular that anything they do is OK (the JLos of high school) or those who are unhappy and desperate for attention. The former will be greatly admired and discussed; the latter will be gossiped about and reviled.
Kudos, moms, because I think your girls are demonstrating self respect in addition to good sense and taste. What young woman would want to wear this thing? As F&I said, I guess some adults would, but they are to be ptitied for the same reasons.
14.gif

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
As I mentioned earlier, my grown sons (18 and 21) wouldn''t date a girl who would dress like that nor would they respect her. Not only does it come across as an invitation, it comes across as open for business to anyone. I don''t think it belongs on anyone regardless of age. And I keep thinking about the model wearing it in the picture, I''m sure her family is so "proud". I''m being sarcastic, but hopefully they''re not.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the photographer probably exaggerated the position of the top (I know I would if I was him).

A respectable mother would see to it that the dress was opened out and pinned down.

Sexyyy.jpg

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Gary - I think you hit the nail on the head.

Perry - I think you are getting a pretty rough time here. You are right that different people have different standards of what''s acceptable and what''s not with regard to dress (or religion or politics etc). (And I''m not talking about basic human rights.) Just because someone wears something that ''most'' people wouldn''t wear doesn''t mean they''re a bad person. Teenagers etc have to learn to express who they are and that is most commonly done via dress. I did it - my parents were horrified, but I survived. As an adult I cringe at some of things that I wore but it was fun at the time and I didn''t get into any trouble because of it. It was just about learning who I was and finding my place in the world. As Gary has shown, the photographer and stylist were most likely pushing the boundaries to get publicity. I, personally, wouldn''t take someone seriously wearing the dress as originally shown but if they were a nice person I''d probably say ''you lucky cow that you''ve got the body to wear that.'' I think maybe people shouldn''t take these things so seriously. To me, the dress is just a joke.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It probably makes that "off like a prom dress" thing a lot simpler.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I dont agree. This is not about a "cultural" thing. On nude beaches, everyone is nude and all there expect that. That dress is revealing and not appropriate for most public places. It doesn''t matter what the photographer may have done, anyone buying this dress after seeing this picture is going to think it''s supposed to be worn this way. It just leaves little to the imagination.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2005 12:9:58 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
A respectable mother would see to it that the dress was opened out and pinned down.
... ok. now it''s a reasonable bathing suit, quite some improvement from the previous version
11.gif
''Guess I''d need just a drink too many to get out of the door with this one, as opposed to brain damage
11.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 7:43:15 AM
Author: Rank Amateur
It probably makes that ''off like a prom dress'' thing a lot simpler.
39.gif
tooooo funny...........

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Moving away from the ''moralities'' of this dress, I thought I''d examine the economics of the dress. It seems to me that this is a very good example of the free market at work.

Manufacturer A wants to increase market share for prom dresses and therefore profits. How can manufacturer A do this? Advertising is one obvious way. The usual advertising of pictures in magazines is a possibility but all the competitors will be doing the same thing. How to stand out from the competitors? Controversy! Let''s get one of those designs that we tossed out as unmarketable and do something with it. Perfect - flesh, sex, teenagers, controversy, lots of publicity. Hence little red dress. Lots of publicity and public discussion. Teenagers and mums want to see this dress first hand in the shops to either laugh at it or to condemn it as unsuitable for wear in public. Off to the shops they go. They find the llittle red dress but while they''re there, they see Manufacturer A''s other dresses. Now aren''t these nice? Much more suitable. Teenager finds her dream dress and mum parts with cash. Manufacturer has achieved his/her aim of increasing sales and therefore profits.

Isn''t the free market wonderful?
31.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Quote -
Yesterday morning, on the ''Today'' show, Katie Couric interviewed Nick Yeh, the CEO of Xcite, the company selling the $495 barely-there dress. He revealed that the dress wasn''t orginally supposed to look like that.. in fact, the girls who show that much skin are actually wearing them BACKWARDS!!

Nick Yeh told Couric that is happened by accident, quote, "We brought over 100 prom dress into Houston to preview the line and during the fashion show, the model came out wearing the dress wrong. After the show we got a great response... it was the number two best selling dress for the show."

Check out the photo of the dress we ran yesterday.. along with a photo from Xcite''s catalog of how it looks when you don''t wear it Kris Kross backwards- style.
- End Quote
895303.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2005 10:57
6.gif
3 PM
DO YOU HAVE A CLOSE UP OF HER?

Let me get this straight. You can measure the angles on the photograph of a diamond, but you
need to have this photograph of a woman enlarged for you? Selective eyesight?

Deb ;-)

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2005 6:56:10 AM
"loose resolution"
Sounds like the marriage vows of some friends of mine.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah - but it will loose resolution - there are bits of detail a man needs
Garry, do you see what I see down here
3.gif

ConchAndNatPearlRJP.jpg

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2005 10:57
6.gif
3 PM
DO YOU HAVE A CLOSE UP OF HER?

I prefer mature women
30.gif
29.gif
30.gif

Nope...but here is one place for the original....

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2005 5:58:43 PM
Author: valeria101

yeah - but it will loose resolution - there are bits of detail a man needs
Garry, do you see what I see down here
3.gif
ROTF

Ana, where did you find that pic!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ana,
Too funny!! Lol!!!

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
HaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaa
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
I HAVE to have the BOOBYFUL ring!!!!!!!!!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
At 1st glance I thought it said, "****" dress, but I was wrong
3.gif

I think it''s cut a bit high at the waist and should be about 2-3 below the navel, no?
30.gif

I would think the wearer would have to beware of quick moves in just about any direction!
36.gif

idemtidem

Rough_Rock
After reading this thread, I couldn''t but register so that I can reply to comments made by momsoftwo.

She wrote:
Perry, Do you not see that no one so far has agreed with you? You have no children, so you really don''t know what you''re talking about. This European elitist crap has nothing to do with how most of us raise our children, most Europeans included.

Just because you think you feel a certain way, doens''t mean you know what you''re talking about when it comes to children. Face, it you are in the minority of one on this thread. It''s not about "enlightenment" or European "values". It''s about basic morals and family vlaues. I have raised two very moral, ethical, successful men who respect women and see them as equals. Gee, I guess I must have some idea of what I''m talking about. I''ve been to Europe. Not impressed. So, you talking about European values really doesn''t carry any weight here.

The dress is way out of bounds and doesn''t belong on anyone. It is SLEAZY. Read the whole thread. You''re definitely not in the majority and most definitely not talking for responsible adults who are raising children.

Whoa. Just because no one had agreed with Perry prior to this post of yours it somehow makes him wrong? And that is why he shouldn''t comment on the subject at all? This is not the case and you seem to have a problem accepting this. Also, just because you raise your children a certain way, it makes you right? May I also ask what experience do you have with Europeans and their parenting skills? And because you''ve been to Europe it makes you an expert on the issue? And what "European elitist crap" are you talking about? Are you just rambling?

She also wrote:
I''m curious, how old are you? You definitely dont'' sound like a mature adult. And, what exactly does your judging of championships have to do with anything? Face it, you are not in line with the majority here. That dress is sleazy and slutty. I dont'' see anyone else disagreeing.

You dont'' have children, so you really have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to teenagers. Teenagers make bad choices. They also think with something other than their brains. Adults have to put their foot down. You really come across as an elitist. Get over the Europe crap. That''s just your excuse. I have been to Europe and the fact is, most europeans keep the "exposure" to nude beaches and dont'' walk around dressed that way.

If your sense of values tends to what you "think" all europeans are like, that''s fine.

Again, what does the fact that other people don''t agree with him have to do with ANYTHING? Sheesh. If it helps you appreciate his remarkable insight more, I agree with him. 100%. You have no clue what you''re talking about. I also would make a much bigger deal of the violence that''s being showed on tv than of a naked breast. And I''m really not sure where you''re getting your "European" knowledge from because you''re wrong. Most Europeans don''t keep the exposure to nude beaches. You''re the one who "thinks" you know what Europeans are like.

There was once a time when people believed that the Earth was flat. In fact, most people believed it was flat. Did it make them right? Answer this one for me, please.

What you need to do is actually listen to voiced opinions and not dismiss them with insults once they differ from your "norm". You can leave that for whoever is interested. Perry was simply stating his opinion on that matter in a civilized way. And you couldn''t reply in a similar manner. That shows a lot about you.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
re: European values

my husband is French(Parisian) and would *never* allow a daughter to wear that dress, backwards or forward. he finds cheerleaders bizarre too for that matter. can those skirts get any shorter??
23.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Is that a real "Boob Ring"?
emdgust.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have to say - that dress does have beautiful lines. And, if it had more fabric could be very figure flattering w/ the criss crossy lines. Why do the designers have to take a good thing & make it for the shock value.

CurlyM-C

Rough_Rock
Wow. There''s a big difference between dressing sexy and dressing tacky AT ANY AGE! Dressing like a $2 whore is NOT sexy. I don''t have kids yet, but I hope that I would teach my teenager the differerence between turning heads in a classy way and being a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results