shape
carat
color
clarity

Vulgar Prom Dress!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Kinda makes J-Lo''s green dress scandal look more like my grandma''s night gown.
32.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2005 10:13:10 PM
Author: Feydakin
Deb, I would like to propose a new group rule.. No statements like yours without pictures
11.gif

You'd be disappointed :). Somewhere there *is* a picture of me in it, but the suit has a skirt and I am holding a toddler, so it wouldn't exactly set you on fire :).

PS-Would someone post a picture of this J-Lo green gown and tell me its story. I missed that episode of the soap opera!

Deb

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
The "dress" isn''t too bad if you can make it tasteful:

DressPlusTubeTop098134.JPG

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Here you go Deb

LopezCombs255063084.jpg

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 2:28:57 PM
Author: AGBF
PS-Would someone post a picture of this J-Lo green gown and tell me its story. I missed that episode of the soap opera!
Deb

Here it is Deb. I think you can figure out why it made headlines...

jennifer_lopez.jpg

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Haha. JC, that''s funny. I still would not wear that dress. I don''t like it at all. Or maybe it''s the girl wearing it.... =X

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 4:10:24 PM
Author: snlee
Haha. JC, that''s funny. I still would not wear that dress. I don''t like it at all. Or maybe it''s the girl wearing it.... =X

9.gif
Thanks! I wouldn''t either. Anybody who isn''t a model-stick needs some support up there! But adding a tube-top or something would at least make it more dance-able and less disgusting.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Dress? Where?? I bet if she paid 10 more bucks she could have gotten the other half........

Cheers--Sharon

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Belle, and others.

I have no children (that I know of; unlikely, but not impossible that there is one out there).

However, my exposure to international cultures leads me to answer "Yes", I''d let my daughter wear it, on the condition that she had a good self esteem about her body.

All I have to do is go to any major international race to see teenagers and adults wandering arround "Au-natural." It took me a bit to adjust to it.

What I found is that there is not a specific "hormone" attack - even for teenagers; when nudity is accepted as common. Things only get "really" exciting to look at when they are denied as a routine.

This does not mean that I, and others, do not look with appreciation at a good looking body or body parts. It does mean that it becomes normal to see. The rule is that you can look, but not stare...

It is my experience that only people with a good self-esteem about their body can handle it (even in cultures where such nudity is more accepted).

I do agree that it is not a dress for normal dancing.

Perry

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock

Perry, I highly doubt that. You''re not going to get any support for that opinion. You know, people who have no children always say they''d be more "open" minded and permissive than they really would be. You change your mind in a heartbeat once you have children to be RESPONSIBLE for. I doubt you''d find any responsible parent of a teenage girl who would allow that dress to be worn, much less let them purchase it. You really want people to see your daughter as "hot". Not likely.

Remember as a kid saying "I''m never gonna do that to my kids" or whatever you didnt'' like your parents saying? Well, guess what? You will. Just about every man I know who has a daughter has said she can''t date til she''s 30, and wants to keep those horny teenage boys away, because they remember what they were like at that age. That dress was created for one thing, Shock Value. Any parent who would let their daughter wear it is not being a parent.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 7:39
6.gif
0 PM
Author: Momoftwo
Just about every man I know who has a daughter has said she can''t date til she''s 30

Oh my, is this ever the truth! My husband objected to the little baby "sack" I had our 7 week daughter in. He said it constrained her. (Where was she going? It was a very *roomy* little sack!) Then I put her down for a photo between two infant boys and my husband said, "On second thought, maybe we should keep her in that until she''s 40!".

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It occurred to me that I had a scanner and could show you the "sack". (If one doesn''t see it, it may sound cruel!) Here is a scanned picture from a photo album. My daughter is between Gabriel (on the left) and Michael (on the right).

3babies.jpg

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Momoftwo:

Please do not assume what I would allow my children to do if I had any. Please do not compare me to most american males. Most american males have not had my exposure to other cultural acceptance of nudity - which includes the children.

Personally, if I had kids I would have probably have gotten them into canoe/kayak racing (at first to see how much they enjoyed it) because working those races are one of my hobbies (judging is all volunteer work). Lots of other Parents in the sports introduce their children to the sport; and the better ones get onto the national teams and travel the international circuit. So potentially it would be my children wandering arround in the buff at international races. There choice, not mine, which I am sure they would make because they would want to fit in with their conterparts...

While I am not a nudist, I have become comfortable working arround those that are. It really has nothing to do about "lust" at all. If you treat a nude body as normal, it becomes normal.

I have to say that I agree more with the european view of damaging material to children than the american view. Exposure to violence is much more damaging. I don''t see any real problem with children learning about bodies, or in their learning not to be ashamed about theirs. I do see problems, that are reflected in our culture, with kids learning that it''s OK to shoot and kill people for all kinds of reasons.

Perry

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 8:39:35 PM
Author: perry
Momoftwo:

I have to say that I agree more with the european view of damaging material to children than the american view. Exposure to violence is much more damaging. I don''t see any real problem with children learning about bodies, or in their learning not to be ashamed about theirs. I do see problems, that are reflected in our culture, with kids learning that it''s OK to shoot and kill people for all kinds of reasons.

Perry
OK, so exactly how did we go from the "vulgar prom dress" (I have a young teen daughter who would never dream of wearing something like that, much less would I or my husband approve of such a sleezy outfit) to kids "learning that it''s OK to shoot and kill people". No one here thinks that shooting and killing people is OK.

I do think your comments are spoken truly as someone that does not have children.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorrry:

I was referring to the difference between the movie and TV rating systems. Most European rating systems allow nudity and love in family rated shows or films, but XX rates much of the violence that many american films and shows have. Here in america it seems OK for the kids to see horrendous violance against their fellow man (for many reasons), but a major issue to show a breast (even for a fleeting second).

As far as my views only being from one who does not have children. What about all of those parents who take their children and frolic on the beach in the buff. They don't count.

I grew up 30 miles from the historical nudist beach in my state (Wisconsin), and used to paddle past it (the beach is on a major river, famous for canoe tripping). Only I was canoeing it before the canoe liveries started (an english teacher at my High school started the first canoe livery service on this river).

I have many memories of parents and their kids pickining and swimming on the sandbar in the buff - from the 70's (and at the time I thought they were strange...). Then the Navy took me to the French riveara in the late 70's, and I got involved in judging races in the 80's.

I have seen lots of kids out there in the buff - with their parents in the area.

So why don't those parents count? Or am I missing something here...

I am just pointing out that I have found those peoples attitudes and explainations to make more sense than the classic american ones. If I had children I would be exposing them to those attitudes and explainations, and would have no problem with them participating with such activities if they wanted to.

I also think that the teens of today will adopt a dress such as the one displayed and talked about in this thread without much fanfare for certain situation, without the views, and implications, that many of the older generation has.

Edited to add:

Perhaps the situation is that many of you do not admit that it is ever OK for people to frolic in the buff, or for people to be proud of their body and want to show it off (all of it).

For those who do admit that it is OK to frolic in the buff, that it is OK to be proud of your body, and that there is nothing inately wrong with nudity and our bodies; then the dress dicussed just becomes another option to choose for the right situation.

Many of you have stated that you would never have worn, or would never wear such a garmet. Fine, that is your standard.

Just be aware there are other standards out there; and in this multicultural society with a rapid merging of international taste and ideas - that more people are going to see and adopt things from those other standards.

I've lived with those other standards for a lot of years. They do not bother me, or frighten me.

Perry

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Perry, Do you not see that no one so far has agreed with you? You have no children, so you really don't know what you're talking about. This European elitist crap has nothing to do with how most of us raise our children, most Europeans included.

Just because you think you feel a certain way, doens't mean you know what you're talking about when it comes to children. Face, it you are in the minority of one on this thread. It's not about "enlightenment" or European "values". It's about basic morals and family vlaues. I have raised two very moral, ethical, successful men who respect women and see them as equals. Gee, I guess I must have some idea of what I'm talking about. I've been to Europe. Not impressed. So, you talking about European values really doesn't carry any weight here.

The dress is way out of bounds and doesn't belong on anyone. It is SLEAZY. Read the whole thread. You're definitely not in the majority and most definitely not talking for responsible adults who are raising children.

You also said you'd let your daughter wear that dress. I question your judgment on that one.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
After the obvious--that this "dress" is tasteless, inapporpriate and revolting--it's also not sexy at all.

Real men don't find gratuitous public exposure sexy, at least not the ones I've dated/married. But I guess that's the point--we're not talking about "men" here, are we....as MomofTwo pointed out, hormonal teenagers don't know which end is, er, up.
20.gif
2.gif

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Perry, one more point, having been married for 24 years, men are visual. Period. Everywhere. European men are not less visual than americans. Don't believe for a minute that European men aren't looking and lusting the same way as all other men are.

Why give it all away?

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, that''s the dress I''ve chosen for my wedding, but mine will be white of course!!
31.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Momoftwo:

Where did I imply a lack of respect of people based on what they wear, about not being able to see women as equals, and basic family values and morality...

Also, I don''t care that I am only a voice of one. I am specificall presenting an alternate viewpoint so that people can think about it.

The reason I am doing this is years ago I had to make a choice to either accpet people who like to run arround in the buff (and who happend to be the best in the world in their sport), or to exit the sport at that level.

I chose to respect them for who and what they were and to learn about them. Who said these were all europeans....

Based on that - I do have a different viewpoint than many here.

What is the value of that different viewpoint. It has opened doors to things and people that I never would have had before. I have judged 2 world championships and 1 olympics, met people, and learned a lot about the world that many never know.

I do not believe that I said this dress was appropriate for all occasions, just that I can see people who would wear it in certain situations.

Also, these people and their freinds are not going to see it with any realy negaive conotations, nor as a "come on," etc.

Those people exist, and I chose to respect them and their decission.

The trend for modern clothing is to get more skimpy and show more (at least for gals). What difference does it really make? They are still generally great people, whatever they wear.

Perry

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock

And my grandfather in 1970 said at the rate skirts are getting short, everyone will be naked soon. He was wrong also.

Fact, you did say you'd let your daughter wear the dress. Don't back off now if you really believe what you posted earlier, even if that is questionable parenting.

I'm curious, how old are you? You definitely dont' sound like a mature adult. And, what exactly does your judging of championships have to do with anything? Face it, you are not in line with the majority here. That dress is sleazy and slutty. I dont' see anyone else disagreeing.

You dont' have children, so you really have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to teenagers. Teenagers make bad choices. They also think with something other than their brains. Adults have to put their foot down. You really come across as an elitist. Get over the Europe crap. That's just your excuse. I have been to Europe and the fact is, most europeans keep the "exposure" to nude beaches and dont' walk around dressed that way.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
yikes! When I was in high school.. two piece prom dresses that showed a little bit of the belly were popular.. and i thought THOSE were skanky!! Would a 17 year old really WANT to wear that?

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
MelissaSue, no, but apparently Perry would like to see it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perry,

I have nothing against people being nude on beaches...or in nudist "colonies" or in their homes. I also would not say that Europeans don''t impress me. Some Europeans impress me very much. I think this dress is just silly. It doesn''t fit what our culture feels is appropriate for the age or the occasion...which of course is why it is making the news: the shock value. In my opinion if a teenager doesn''t have something like this to throw in her parents'' face, she will find something else...because she *is* a teenager.

Not all cultures have adolescence. In some cultures a child hits puberty and marries. We put our adolescents on a long sexual leave of absence and, in our culture, they accomplish some developmental tasks as adolescents: they rebel; they develop their own value systems; etcetera. Not all cultures cultivate the character traits we look for in adults and thus those cultures do not need our kind of adolescence.

Since we *do* need it, we have to expect adolescents to find something with which to shock and awe adults. My brother had hair down to his shoulders. His daughters have thus far avoided tattoos and body piercing, but they *do* listen to rap music. Rap music is, of course, appalling to me...but that''s the point :).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perry,

That dress is extremely vulgar for any teen to wear to their prom!! As a mother of a sixteen year old, I find this type of dress to be highly offensive. I can''t imagine why anyone would argue to the contrary.

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
23.gif
OMG!!!!I have 2 teenage girls and I would never allow them to even try on that dress!!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes folks, I would allow as discussed above. The reason why is a lot closer to the issues of what AGBF posted.

Teenagers - in Amercian culture (and many others) always need to find something to shock their parents with.

There is also the fact that you can''t win all the battles.

Fact is I don''t care if they chose to dress in different ways, or not dress at all in areas where such activities are common.

That is not the battles I am interested in winning. Drugs, improper alcohol use, learniing to respect other people and other cultures, understanding that there is a difference between right and wrong and a method for handling the grey situations, caring for people, and other things including basic religious core values are far more important to me.

Teaching them to take responsibility for their life and think just a bit - is more important than what they wear during those years.

Concerning the "assumption" that just because I don''t have children that I can''t possibly know these things and the mistakes that kids and adults make in life...

For some reason both teenages I know, and adults I know, seem to seek me out to talk about issues now and then. What is really interesting is when both the teenagers and adults approach me - independently - on the same issue. Perhaps because I am not emotionally involved in the situtation I can see the issues a bit better.

Can I always help, no. Are there situations where I refer them to more professional help, yes. Do I sometimes make mistakes in what I have to offer, yes. Are my own values imbeded in my responses - of course.

Fact is the people make mistakes, and teenagers make a large number of them as they are learning.

Mistakes are how most of us learn. Making the mistake is not the issue - learning how to handle a situation when you make a mistake is.

Teenagers and adults also seem to need to have some area where they can "break the rules" as a form of stress relief from other issues, or to look at this another way: you can contol one area if you allow them some slack in another.

The real goal of parenting - in my view - is keeping the kids from making major life damaging mistakes while they are learning how to operate in this world. Choice of clothing just isn''t that kind of issue. At worst, in the future they will respond to some old picturrs or videos with a statement along the line of "we were all kids once" or "that''s from my wild years" and move on. At least that is how I hope they will respond as it shows a high level of maturity and self-esteem.

In the case of the dress and its appropriatness in this "culture". If the culture of the teenagers rebells against it - then its use will be "self correcting." However, if the culture of the teenagers accept it, or a part of it accepts it; then it and similar things will be worn regularily; and us folks in the older generation cannot really control that (whatever you personally feel).

My grandparents had one culture, my parents have a different culture, my generation has one, and each of the younger generations have one. While there are some common elements - they are all different and each generation and geographic area sets their own culture.

Perry

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
So, your argument now is about rebellion of teenagers. Sorry, that doesn't wash. This is not about rebellion, it's about a totally inappropriate dress to wear anywhere. Believe it or not, most parents would say absolutely not and enforce the rules. Yes, parents make rules about what their children can and can't do so they grow into responsible adults. If your sense of values tends to what you "think" all europeans are like, that's fine, but, get back to me when you actually have children and can give a truly realistic answer. That dress would not be allowed at any school dance by any school administration I know and it wouldn't exactly get a positive reaction anywhere else either.

And I don't get how you said earlier if your daughter had a good self-esteem about her body, you'd let her wear it. I hate to tell you but the girls who would tend to wear that anywhere have terrible self-esteem and are looking for attention, why else would you wear something so extreme. I was a teenage girl at one time and the girls I knew that dressed provocatively or sleazy were looking for attention from guys. I wouldn't want my daughter thinking she had to dress that way just to get a guy, and not necessarily a guy that she would really want to have around! If you notice, these dresses on the red carpet at award shows worn by celebrities are to get media attention. A lot of actors/actresses have self-image issues.

Perry, FYI, teenagers sometimes tend to have different opinions than their parents, but that doesn't make them right or acceptable, or mature. I can't imagine anyone "approaching" you to talk about this dress, but kids will tell tales of woe about their lives to any adult who is not their parent. Children and teenagers aren't equipped to make decisions like that. Did you know that the human brain is not completely mature and "connected" until about age 25? That is especially true about judment. There was a new law passed locally about cell phone use by anyone driving under the age of 18. Some kids were saying it wasn't fair to them. What they found in research is that teenagers are extremely distractable and cannot drive and do anything else at the same time.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Teenagers - in Amercian culture (and many others) always need to find something to shock their parents with.

I happened to flip channels when the gals on The View showed pics of this dress and several other variations the "designer" has created. One was a cream color with a bit more fabric in the front. My 15 year old daughters happened to see the "prom gowns". Both girls cringed and launched into some choice comments about certain girls they knew who would probably want to wear that type of dress to a dance. Both said they wouldn''t be caught dead in anything that looked like that. I didn''t have to say NO. My girls said NO themselves.

Many teens have at least a modium of taste and sensibility on occassion.
1.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s best to leave something to the imagination...but that''s just my opinion.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results