#JOTW Vintage Anniversary Ring- 2.5 carats of transitional-cut joy

smc7277

Rough_Rock
Re: Vintage Anniversary Ring- 2.5 carats of transitional-cut

Wow that baby is beautiful!

moosemom

Shiny_Rock

Congratulations on your anniversary. That diamond is beautiful - what a find.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow!!!! Congrats on all fronts!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ew boy. Here goes. I'd wear the new anniversary ring, as is, as an engagement ring. And reset my engagement diamond into a bezel milligrain pendant.

**ducks for cover**

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The ring is very lovely - congrats on the ring, anniversary and baby on the way - wow!

vivid2012

Rough_Rock

congrats on the ring.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love it, and what an unusual cut! Before you explained I was looking at the pics and thinking that the facet pattern looked like a modern RB not like a transitional, but the table is so small and the crown so high... and voila! What fun!

And I agree with Deco :Up_to_something:

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Wow both rings are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me I would reset into a bezel as you suggested but I love the current setting as well so if you wanted to wear that as a RHR I would be a fantastic CS in there.

SomethingSinful

Shiny_Rock

Sarahbear621|1317385184|3029580 said:

For me I would reset into a bezel as you suggested but I love the current setting as well so if you wanted to wear that as a RHR I would be a fantastic CS in there.
1+

natascha

Brilliant_Rock

I am gobsmacked! That is beautiful!

Strangely i was not expecting it since when I read the thread I missed the 2.5 carats and just saw 5 transitional, so I was expecting to see a five stone :lol: . Must be because I want a five stone old cut for our five years anniversary coming up.

I agree with changing the setting and putting a colored gem in the old setting. But I completely understand the loving a certain style and ending up with several rings in the same style. I mean I have a halo on my e-ring and I ended up buying another halo. One thing I would say is make sure that if you change the setting that you change it to something you will love just as much. Otherwise I think you will regret it.

Ok back to drooling at your rings ( by the way the prongs n your e-ring are giving me the shivers, too bad that my stone will not work with that style).

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Gorgeous! and LARGE!!!! How exciting. I love the high crown and small table, lotsa fire! That setting is wonderful. I would probably trade off wearing the new 2.5 on my ering finger one day and the original ering on my ering ring finger on another day.

Congrats on your first baby and 5 years together! :appl:

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

GORGEOUS!!!!! I would totally keep that setting - it is MAGICAL! Maybe reset your original e-ring and bezel that? :naughty:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Are you still planning on wearing your original ERing.

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock

It is pretty and certainly look great on you!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow, it's absolutely stunning! It looks HUGE on you and I love the setting! So I'm with deco and dreamer (those sound like reindeer names together :cheeky: )-I'd keep this as is and reset your e-ring!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's beautiful Circe! I love the setting! I think it is gorgeous. I wouldn't worry about it looking the same on both hands, but if you haloed
it I would keep the marquise going down the band. I love love love it.

My 2.57 is 8.8 X 8.8 so I am sure you hit the 2.5 mark! What a lovely find. Congrats all around!

LGK

Ideal_Rock

Oh my dear GOD Circe! It's beautiful. Really truly. You got so lucky with the dealer honoring an old quote! I cannot wait to see what you do with the setting.

I bet it is incredibly fiery in person. It definitely does not look like an RB even with the longer LGFs. And fluoro! YUM. I don't have a single stone with fluor, and I do love it and wish at least one did have it. Oh well! I'll live vicariously through yours meanwhile :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your diamond is beautiful!!! :love: I'll comment about the settings on your other thread! Love your e-ring, too!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Lottie UK|1317321870|3028896 said:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What a ring and what a lot to celebrate. It is beautiful, I love the setting too. Would love to see many, many more pics please :bigsmile:

Hmmm, its my five year wedding anniversary next year as well.........I think I might show this post to Mr L :lol:

Thanks, Lottie! I'm just waiting for a sunny day to TAKE some. Yesterday, we got a few hours, and did I remember my camera? I did NOT (though I did stare at my hand in the sun-dappled light like an idiot).

Kismet|1317324901|3028944 said:
It's beautiful Circe! What a great find.

Thanks, Kismet! I feel very lucky right now.

kelpie|1317325034|3028948 said:
A zillion more pics please! It's gorgeous!!!!! Congrats!

Thanks, Kelpie! You inspired me, you know - before I read about how you found the perfect stone for a steal, rehabbed it, and wound up with a million-dollar stunner, I don't think the possibility would have occurred to me (well, at least not on this scale). Pics to come as soon as the weather cooperates and/or I learn to take better iPhone photos.

rosetta|1317326314|3028960 said:
Tis gorgeous Circe! :love: :love: :love:

Thank you, Rosetta!

tyty333|1317326477|3028964 said:
Congratulations! It is lovely!

Many thanks, TyTy!

yennyfire|1317329882|3029010 said:
It's fantastic! What a great way to celebrate all of the special things in your life!

Exactly, Yenny - I think every time I look down at it, it's going to put a smile on my face. Not just because it's purty, but, well ... just because. :mrgreen:

stci|1317331595|3029046 said:
Circe|1317322249|3028907 said:
You might remember my original e-ring and you might notice, um, a certain family resemblance - well, what can I say, I'm consistent! I love vintage settings, and I love what fishtail prongs do for both shape and security. Once my ring sizes go back to normal, I'm planning to wear my engagement ring as always, and to wear this baby on the middle finger of my right hand. My husband is making vaguely encouraging noises about resetting: he thinks that it'll look funny to have such similar rings on each hand. What do you guys think? I'm torn between loving the setting and style, and daydreaming idly about a bezel ... a Van Craeynest bezel ....

For me, this treasure don't have the style to wear in the middle finger. It's a marvelous ring...!!!!

Thanks, Stci! It might, admittedly, alternate back and forth until my hands get back to normal .... :devil:

Future Mrs. Williamson!!|1317331645|3029048 said:
wow your new ring is beautiful!!
Congratulations on your baby to be and your 5th anniversary! :appl:
I love the setting that it is in now but a van craeynest bezel would be beautiful.
Oh and the blue flour is TDF! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Thanks, FMW! I go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth, but last night a design started to coalesce in my head - more to come in RT!

tsavvy|1317331908|3029052 said:
Wow! Both of your rings are beautiful. The cut and fluorescence of your new stone is really neat, and the prongs on your original e-ring are gorgeous. I agree with your husband -- the settings are similar and your new stone would look amazing in a VC setting, perhaps 1012-10 or 1020. Congratulations on all the good things in your life :appl: :appl:

Oooo, you know your VC! Those are both TDF, but I'm leaning more in the custom direction, just because I'm a freak. We'll see what's possible and what the genius of Mr. Van Craeynest can compose, I guess .... :rodent:

canuk-gal|1317332088|3029057 said:
HI:

Congratulations. :appl:

cheers--Sharon

Thanks, Sharon!

Gypsy|1317332996|3029068 said:
Circe|1317322551|3028909 said:
I love looking at that little table and that high crown!

And, as you might remember from my obsessive fixation ... I love fluorescence. Luuuurve it! So it was very important to me to get a stone with flour on this go-round: it's the only thing I've ever seen as a drawback about my original stone, that lack. Et, voila!

SO beautiful. Seriously. It looks like a larger version of the Transitional that was flirting with me yesterday. It was a light bulb and I'm sure yours is too. WOW.

It is AMAZING! Wear it in the best of health!

Heheheh - I was thinking that as I looked at that stone! It makes me happy to see others in the same vein out there - like, I'm not making it up to make my stone a speshul snowflake, it is a historical artifact of cutting! And, yep, it is - pretty much every lighting situation is giving me fire, fire, fire. I love how colorful it is ....

Kismet|1317334637|3029099 said:
Circe|1317322249|3028907 said:
You might remember my original e-ring and you might notice, um, a certain family resemblance - well, what can I say, I'm consistent! I love vintage settings, and I love what fishtail prongs do for both shape and security. Once my ring sizes go back to normal, I'm planning to wear my engagement ring as always, and to wear this baby on the middle finger of my right hand. My husband is making vaguely encouraging noises about resetting: he thinks that it'll look funny to have such similar rings on each hand. What do you guys think? I'm torn between loving the setting and style, and daydreaming idly about a bezel ... a Van Craeynest bezel ....

I totally do that. I wear my wedding rings (plain 6 prong YG cathedral setting) and on the middle finger of the same hand I wear my OMC in a 6 prong RG setting. It's actually a picture of the earrings but you can kind of see how it looks. kiz-opalearrings1.jpg

Okay, A) WOAH, gorgeous earrings! I need to stalk your back-threads until I find those. B) Those look very cool together! I actually love that - and I bet the alternating prongs keep the girdles safe. Vveeeeery eeeeeeeenteresting ....

hmr_mama|1317336133|3029121 said:
Okay...I love this and I want one. :love: I'm with your husband though...I have two solitaires and I never wear them at the same time...it does feel/look a little weird to me. On the other hand, if you like the look...go for it!

Heh, I wonder why it isn't a "thing" in my head? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not turning the reset down out of hand, but if I didn't find anything I loved, I probably wouldn't think twice about wearing them together. I wonder if it's because I wore a set that matched (aside from color) for years and years, or if I'm just OCD enough that the tiny differences between them (marquise sidestones vs. baguette sidestones! clearly articulated fishtail prongs vs. more squared off "cornered" v-prongs!) make them look completely different to me ....

catwalk82|1317339905|3029166 said:
Oh my, absolutely gorgeous! :appl:

Thank you! And, as an aside, I love your user photo - that is so cute!

Yssie|1317340028|3029170 said:
eeep :appl:

And *look* at that fluor!!

:sun: :sun: :love: :love: :love: :love: :appl:

Thanks, darlin! I do, I do. I actually bought a keychain blacklight special, so now I'm going around checking it out with it in all sorts of situations - my husband thinks I'm bonkers. :tongue:

stargurl78|1317340862|3029189 said:
Gorgeous ring Circe! Congrats on all of your celebrations :appl:

If it were me, I would re-set it...

Thanks, StarGurl, on all counts!

Christina...|1317341372|3029195 said:
I'm sooo jealous! It's beautiful!! :love:

I think I agree with hubby on this one though, I love the current setting, but both rings are so similar that I would be tempted to try something new. And a Van Craeynest bezel sound so perfectly wonderful, how could you resist??? :lickout:

I have to admit, I've never been good at resisting temptation. "Instant gratification" is more my line ....

Sorry to all that I dropped off the face of the earth for the weekend - it got unexpectedly busy with the settling in to the new place (and how I have to fly to be ready for the curtain installation). More in a bit, but I just wanted to say that I'm reading all the comments, and really appreciate all of your feedback. Both because, well, it's nice to see the congrats (I do love how this place is a community, y'know?) and because I'm vain enough to be preening over the ring ( :twisted: ) and because y'all are really helping me make up my mind about what to do! Anyway more soon, including reset inspiration pics ....

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Oh, what a lovely, lovely, LOVELY ring, Circe! :appl: :appl: I absolutely adore it, and Im totally jelly now... I have just realized that my forever diamond will be a tranny and I have been searching for the last year or so now, to no avail ;( ( I sold my all-time fave ring some years back and I regret it to this day (the prettiest tranny I have ever laid my hands on - 1.96ct).

Wear in great love, good health, and lost of love for always!!

Ganesha

Shiny_Rock

What a find! It's gorgeous!!

IIRC, you're in NYC, correct? If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to know the name of the shop where you bought it. Wouldn't mind stopping by to ogle some antique lovelies myself sometime...

Congrats!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Stunning, congrats!!! :love: :love:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ForteKitty said:
It's gorgeous, i love the fluor. pics! :love:

It really does add that somethin'-somethin', doesn't it? I can't wait for the first time we go to a place with black-light (or, for that matter, a place with sufficiently clean air to get some decent UV) - now I have a full parure of fluor!

D&T said:
woweeee what great finger coverage! its beautiful! :love:

Thanks, D&T! I will admit, once in a while, I am vaguely surprised by my own finger now. You wouldn't think a measly mm and a half would make that much of a difference, but ... :twisted:

slg47 said:
congratulations circe!!! it's gorgeous and what a great find :)

Thank you SLG!

MrsBettyBoop said:
Beautiful!

Thanks, Mrs. B! BTW, I love your username. :cheeky:

bright ice said:
It's a gorgeous stone! Lucky you :appl:

Thanks, Bright Ice!

junebug17 said:
:love: Wow!!! :love: It's truly spectacular Circe, just so very beautiful - many congrats!

Many, many thanks, JuneBug.

decodelighted said:
Ew boy. Here goes. I'd wear the new anniversary ring, as is, as an engagement ring. And reset my engagement diamond into a bezel milligrain pendant.

**ducks for cover**

Heheheheh - to quote Scotty, I cannae do it, Cap'n! I'm just too damn sentimental. And while I could conceivably wear a ring on each hand without feeling overdone, I think I'd feel silly wearing two pendants (unless they tied in shape-wise, like my pear does with my ruby pear). So if anything's getting reset, it's the new one, though I've yet to settle on a setting I like nearly as much ....

smc7277 said:
Wow that baby is beautiful!

Thanks, SMC!

moosemom said:
Congratulations on your anniversary. That diamond is beautiful - what a find.

Muchas gracias, MooseMom, on both counts!

Amys Bling said:
Wow!!!! Congrats on all fronts!

Amy, thank you, on all fronts!

MissGotRocks said:
The ring is very lovely - congrats on the ring, anniversary and baby on the way - wow!

Thanks, MissGotRocks! It's definitely an eventful autumn, to say the least.

vivid2012 said:
congrats on the ring.

Thanks, Vivid!
Dreamer_D said:
I love it, and what an unusual cut! Before you explained I was looking at the pics and thinking that the facet pattern looked like a modern RB not like a transitional, but the table is so small and the crown so high... and voila! What fun!

And I agree with Deco :Up_to_something:

Heh, there's definitely a family resemblance! But in person, the difference between this one and my e-ring stone is definitely perceptible. In pics, I love the facet pattern on what we think of as the more traditional OEC ... but on my hand, I didn't love the big-big-big facets the way I though I would. Instead, I kept going for the transitionals every time ... it's like the perfect combo of being incredibly fiery, thanks to the high crown-small table combo, and giving BIG flashes of fire, thanks to the still larger-than-average pavilion facets. Fun, indeed! :mrgreen:

Sarahbear621 said:

Ooo, Sarah, SomethingSingful, I like the way you think! It's definitely tempting to maybe put the baby's birthstone in there if it winds up being a translucent gem (I figure I have a "window" of either opal, topaz, or turquoise, with topaz being the likeliest candidate). Mmm, asscher-cut topaz ....

natascha said:
I am gobsmacked! That is beautiful!

Strangely i was not expecting it since when I read the thread I missed the 2.5 carats and just saw 5 transitional, so I was expecting to see a five stone :lol: . Must be because I want a five stone old cut for our five years anniversary coming up.

I agree with changing the setting and putting a colored gem in the old setting. But I completely understand the loving a certain style and ending up with several rings in the same style. I mean I have a halo on my e-ring and I ended up buying another halo. One thing I would say is make sure that if you change the setting that you change it to something you will love just as much. Otherwise I think you will regret it.

Ok back to drooling at your rings ( by the way the prongs n your e-ring are giving me the shivers, too bad that my stone will not work with that style).

Thanks Natascha! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I guess sometimes the eye wants what the eye wants, just like the heart. :devil: You're completely right about the setting change, I think, which is why I keep going back and forth and back and forth and back and - well, come to my thread in RT and you'll see. :lol:

hearts-arrows_girl said:
Gorgeous! and LARGE!!!! How exciting. I love the high crown and small table, lotsa fire! That setting is wonderful. I would probably trade off wearing the new 2.5 on my ering finger one day and the original ering on my ering ring finger on another day.

Congrats on your first baby and 5 years together! :appl:

Thank you! And, as for your plan ... I'm doing a variation on that now, as my e-ring is now a full size and a half too small for me! So I'm wearing this one through the pregnancy & however long it takes for my fingers to go back to normal ... hopefully finding a new setting in the meantime ... and going from there! I will say, this is a manner of living to which one could easily grow accustomed ....

Bliss said:
GORGEOUS!!!!! I would totally keep that setting - it is MAGICAL! Maybe reset your original e-ring and bezel that? :naughty:

Heheheh - thanks, Bliss! I DO love this setting, and have the sneaking suspicion that the reset will bear a strong resemblance to it. The original will stay as it is, but it's funny ... my original plan there was to bezel it, and then I fell in love with fishtail prongs. History repeats itself, again.

Amys Bling said:
Are you still planning on wearing your original ERing.

Yep - too sentimental to ever give up on the original flavor. :twisted:

mitsui4 said:
It is pretty and certainly look great on you!

Thanks Mitsui!

thing2of2 said:
Wow, it's absolutely stunning! It looks HUGE on you and I love the setting! So I'm with deco and dreamer (those sound like reindeer names together :cheeky: )-I'd keep this as is and reset your e-ring!

You know, once you add in your name "Deco and Dreamer and Thing 2 of 2 ...." it totally sounds like a carol waiting to be reworded. I think I know what I'll be doing for the holidays this year .... :twisted:

luv2sparkle said:
It's beautiful Circe! I love the setting! I think it is gorgeous. I wouldn't worry about it looking the same on both hands, but if you haloed
it I would keep the marquise going down the band. I love love love it.

My 2.57 is 8.8 X 8.8 so I am sure you hit the 2.5 mark! What a lovely find. Congrats all around!

Thanks, Luv! I really do like the marquise, too - there's something very elegant and slimming about that shape as a sidestone. I wonder if it would be the same with two - am now thinking about doing a kind of stylized dragonfly motif on the shank ....

LGK said:
Oh my dear GOD Circe! It's beautiful. Really truly. You got so lucky with the dealer honoring an old quote! I cannot wait to see what you do with the setting.

I bet it is incredibly fiery in person. It definitely does not look like an RB even with the longer LGFs. And fluoro! YUM. I don't have a single stone with fluor, and I do love it and wish at least one did have it. Oh well! I'll live vicariously through yours meanwhile :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Thanks, LGK! I looooooooooove that dealer - this is the 3rd thing I've bought from him, and he's been great every time. And ... suggestions welcome on the reset front! I'm like a kitten chasing its tail on this, around and around and around ....

The stone is an awesome performer in person: it gives off more colored light return than any of my other stones, and is vaguely mesmerizing. I'm kinda in luuuuuuuuurve. :lickout:

diamondseeker2006 said:
Your diamond is beautiful!!! :love: I'll comment about the settings on your other thread! Love your e-ring, too!

Thank you so much, DS - for the compliment, and for the suggestions in the other thread!

HeartingDiamonds|1317854651|3034136 said:
Oh, what a lovely, lovely, LOVELY ring, Circe! :appl: :appl: I absolutely adore it, and Im totally jelly now... I have just realized that my forever diamond will be a tranny and I have been searching for the last year or so now, to no avail ;( ( I sold my all-time fave ring some years back and I regret it to this day (the prettiest tranny I have ever laid my hands on - 1.96ct).

Wear in great love, good health, and lost of love for always!!

Grace, from you, I take that as the highest of compliments. Thank you! Do you have pics of your pretty transitional? I would LOVE to see the kind of stone you rank that highly ....

Ganesha said:
What a find! It's gorgeous!!

IIRC, you're in NYC, correct? If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to know the name of the shop where you bought it. Wouldn't mind stopping by to ogle some antique lovelies myself sometime...

Congrats!

Ganesha, my pleasure! The guy's a gem himself, and I figure the more custom he gets, the better. His name is Stephen Herdemian, he's on the southwest side of 47th, right off 6th, and he's got a website, here: http://www.antiquejewelryforsale.com/. Happy hunting!

Skippy said:
Stunning, congrats!!! :love: :love:

Skippy, thank you!

Again, took me waaaaaaaaaaaay too long to respond (this is why it's good I eloped - I would never have written my thank-you's on time), but every word's heartfelt. :appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Aaaaaaaaaaand, just to keep things neat and organized: I did start a separate thread for reset suggestions, here; https://www.pricescope.com/communit...eep-as-is.166389/page-2#post-3034249#p3034249. Just posted some inspiration pics, and a handshot of a piece I just tried on (Vatche Alexa #167) - any and all thoughts appreciated! I never realized how psychologically difficult it was to reset - hats off to those of you who've taken the plunge! It's like the epitome of "why fix it if it ain't broke?" crossing paths with the desire for better, better, best ....

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I adore your new tranny so, Circe!

And here's a few photos of the stone that I will always long for - if I could find this guy's bigger sister, I'd be set (I swear I'd be, Erica :naughty: !).

tranny up close.jpg

Transtional_1.96.JPG

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

HeartingDiamonds|1317963838|3035161 said:
I adore your new tranny so, Circe!

And here's a few photos of the stone that I will always long for - if I could find this guy's bigger sister, I'd be set (I swear I'd be, Erica :naughty: !).

Whose stone is that. It's beautiful!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love it! Everything about it! Congrats!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

A minor update,courtesy of my inability to resist taking photos over the course of a gorgeous weekend: after, like, 6 months of will-she, won't she shilly-shallying, I finally switched out my marquise sidestones! First I talked to my usual guy about doing it ... and he couldn't find any that satisfied his high standards. Then I talked to ID - same problem, plus they thought it'd be a risk to the integrity of the setting. Then I talked to Leigh Jay Nacht, where Winona pointed out that they were genuine old-style marquise which contributed to the historical integrity of the piece, and I sort of resigned myself to them.

But they still bugged me, 'cause ... well, one was milky, and not in an attractive-fluorescent way, but in a weird-looking-all-the-time way, and both were a little chipped.

And then my usual guy called and said he'd finally found a pair that were up to his standards. :appl:

So, my Mother's Day present to myself? Upgraded sidestones, 'cause a nine-month quest to find a setting that, a) I like better than this one, and, b) that is not also solitaire-esque is still ongoing, and I'm beginning to think this setting and I are going to just have to ride off into the sunset together. :rodent:

(My husband's Mother's Day present to me: flying trapeze lessons. Presented without comment. :tongue: )

I feel a little guilty about modifying a genuine antique ... but, man, I am so much happier this way. My inner OCDemon was having a field day every time I admired my stone and got distracted by the sides. So, without further ado ....

PS 1.jpg

PS 2.jpg

PS 3.jpg

PS 4.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

And just a few more for perspective ... also had the whole thing polished and the prongs de-wonked. I continue to adore this ring, and more and more with the passage of time: it genuinely makes me happy every time I look at it, 'cause it is SUCH a fireball. I'm like a cat, or something: I just get mesmerized by the rainbows.

Um. It's the little things in life? :naughty:

PS 5.jpg

PS 6.jpg

PS 7.jpg

PS 8.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe, I've been wondering about your reset and was going to veer off-topic in another thread to ask about it, but now I don't have to! I for one am thrilled for you that you are feeling happy and excited about your ring! Changing the stones is such a subtle change, and IMO the change has just become part of the piece's long and varied history! And it sounds like it's made such a big difference in your enjoyment of the ring! As a 50+ woman, my new philosophy is to do whatever we can to eek out a little joy and happiness from this life because it goes by really freakin' fast!! (eloquently put, huh? :sun: )

I absolutely love your ring, it looks SO beautiful on your hand, and I for one have always adored the setting! I'm actually pretty excited you've decided not to change it - Sometimes it just doesn't pay to mess with success! Looking down on the hand and absolutely loving what you see is such a great feeling!

your pics are beautiful!!! what a gorgeous stone! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results