shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian repro splendour from Black Opal Direct, M'sOpalWorld, and CvB - B&W opal/OEC earrings + bracelet

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Omg I absolutely love your earrings, and with this new bracelet I can’t which one I love more! Amazing photos and jewels, thanks for the stunning eye candies!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous collection, though I can't share it here I've got my first opal piece in the works and seeing this has me so excited!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am kinda mesmerized by these opals and the setting. The little rosies, and yellow gold bezel and WG halos. Such a vintage vibe. :kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I’m back. The sheer beauty of these pieces took me out for awhile!

I LOVE them. @yssie, your collection never ceases to amaze me. If there was one PS’ers collection that I would want to own the most, it would be yours. Every single piece is utter perfection.

Caysie has done a phenomenal job. The Cora halo is substantial, gives off a Victorian? Kind of vibe, and just so elegant! I’m loving the details on all of these pieces. The super delicate milgrain on the Cora halo itself, then the more substantial milgrain on the cuff. The way the cuff joins to the Cora halos. The contrasting yet perfectly matched opals.

I know nothing about opals. Before you and missy, I just thought they weren’t really for me. I take it all back!! I need to learn more about opals. I’m converted. Pretty sure I NEED pieces like yours in my life. Really.

That is an incredibly sweet and seriously incredible compliment - oh my goodness, thank you!! :love:

And I've got to laugh, because I've been looking at Kataoka more and more lately, and between my last update here in this thread and - well, this afternoon - I decided that I just had to have these little lovelies:
And I freely admit that only know of this brand because of the beautiful pieces that you and @JPie have shared here :love: I wonder how many marvels I wouldn't know anything about - and how many marvellous people I wouldn't ever have met - had I not found this forum eleven years ago...

I think I've saved every single opal photo that @missy and @mrs-b and @diamondseeker2006 have ever posted here :bigsmile: I would love to see their stones in-person one day. I talk with @amoline fairly frequently about pearl grading, and how the lack of standardisation and regulation does noone any favours in the long term, vendor or customer - but at least for us western consumers the pearls world has a handful of highly-respected labs and Mikimoto and Paspaley and Assael and Jewelmer and a few other larger houses that I'm forgetting right now to maintain some balance of expectations and perspective... The opals world is just a complete free for all. GIA will grade opals but hardly anyone submits. Which of course makes comparisons of goods or pricing between vendors and inventory all but impossible! I'm very very very done with opal adventures :oops2: any other opals I buy, I'll only ever be buying from M's Opal World and Black Opal Direct!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A crown and sceptre with asymmetrical Opals, I like that idea.

While all of us Opal cutters pray for that dark body tone, mother nature only gives us what she wants sometimes! We'll take what we can get :mrgreen:

Well, since you cutters can't exactly give the rock back if you aren't satisfied... :halo:

White opals are especially special. It's easy to look strong and vivid and sharp against black. The bracelet white is my other half's favourite of the lot. And I look at how bright those colours are, against a background that is quite literally as white as printer paper, and it's just impossible to not appreciate how rare that is :love:

@inne You do. You do. 8)

@AllAboardTheBlingTrain Thank you!! ::)

Thank you so much @astaeria!! :bigsmile: They're definitely a pretty spectacular pair - I feel very lucky to have them! And they're a dream to take photos of, the colours just spring to life and the workmanship on the settings is impeccable... :love:

@Asscherhalo_lover Oh, you're trade now!! When did that happen!?

Congrats!! (Albeit belated ;( ) I assume that's what you meant - I know the mods have made exceptions for tradepeople's personal pieces here before... I would love to see it when it's done! What are you having made? And what type(s) of opal(s) are you using?

@LLJsmom Another thank you, again ::) I managed to grab one pic this morning before the rain started - it really shows the difference in body colour, I think. The earring stones told me and Caysie that they needed to live in rose gold. The bracelet stones wanted yellow gold. I was very tempted to put the bracelet stones in rose gold anyway, to match, but I'm glad we listened :))

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morning pic before the rain -

BOTH2 copy.png

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morning pic before the rain -

BOTH2 copy.png

I don't know why I never noticed the rose gold prongs on your earrings before. They just looked magically suspended there. I see what you mean, about the yellow gold on the bracelet. So much delicious detail there that I didn't even see the first several times. :lickout:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectaular set, @yssie ! Thanks to you I really have to add a black opal to my list! I need to get Caysie to set the white opal first, though!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since this is apparently my week to post random photos of old pieces :lol: Every time I take this bangle out I wonder why the heck I don't wear it more. I need to wear it more.

LRB-CVB1.png

The black stone is much more impressive, but I think the white actually works better in the busy mount - it's a watery, diaphanous colour play that doesn't compete with the halo...

LRW-CVB1.png

But the black. The black has my heart. How could it not? It's just the most amazing little beauty :love: It's so bright that my phone camera doesn't know what to do with it!!
First pic with the the phone (iPhone XS), second pic with the camera (Canon G7X MII) - maybe thirty seconds between photos ::)

LRB-CVB3.png

LRB-CVB2.png

And a video (with the camera this time!!) - just because :))

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little earrings update to share here ::) I have a feeling this will surprise absolutely noone :lol:

The match between the two black earring opals has always bugged me a bit - the bigger one on the bottom has a kind of purple-y “base” and a ton of red colour play, and the top opal is clearly *blue*. It’s one of those little niggles that doesn’t stop me from enjoying them, but does make me think… That they’re clearly a DIY job, #NotHighEnd. If that makes any sense? I thought about just switching the two top stones - both earrings with one black and one white each - which would mask that colour differential for all practical purposes, but that feels like cheating. And I love having them be wholly black and wholly white. ❤️

I’ve been watching Black Opal Direct’s inventory for a closer mate for a couple years and I think I’ve found a winner!! Justin is going to trim the ends off this one for me, to 7.5mm to match the current stone. Current stones are 5mm wide, this little guy’s a touch skinnier, but the setting is really forgiving - I’m not at all worried about that size differential. I do hope I’m guessing right on colour though!!
https://blackopaldirect.com/product/black-opals/0-52-ct-gem-black-opal-7-9x4-7x2-1mm/

Here’s the bigger opal that I’m trying to match more closely:
https://blackopaldirect.com/product/black-opals/1-76-ct-black-opal-gem-8-5x7x4mm/

And here’s the current top stone (recut into an oval):
https://blackopaldirect.com/product/black-opals/0-80-ct-black-opal-triangle-gem-7x6x2-8mm/

So… We’ll see how I did when it comes in. Either way I’ll have a stunning spare :lol:

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought about just switching the two top stones

That was my first thought -- not on seeing them in all their glory but on reading about your (unexpected) dissatisfaction. How have I missed this amazing thread and these amazing earrings -- especially since I started my own thread last year (?) on an asymmetric design that is nowhere near this nice?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was my first thought -- not on seeing them in all their glory but on reading about your (unexpected) dissatisfaction. How have I missed this amazing thread and these amazing earrings -- especially since I started my own thread last year (?) on an asymmetric design that is nowhere near this nice?

Well now I’m the cad who can’t recall your asymmetric project, so I’ll be trawling through your posts to find it. Does disclosure make that more or less creeptastic? :lol:

Thank you!! I really do love these earrings. It’s just that.. If I can do a touch better on colour match… That would make them really mind clean. But matching opals does seem to be an exercise in masochism. And between body tone, “base” colour, colourplay type, primary colourplay colours, strength of colourplay - I’m at my limit for how much thought and money I’m willing to sacrifice to my own perfectionism on this :twisted2:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah, I'm just dying over all the fabulous opals in this thread. I know what you mean about trying to match opals. Its a lifelong quest I think, but oh so fun.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Catmom You’re the opal queen so I know you do indeed "get it" :bigsmile:

I've been looping the videos side by side like this on my computer :lol: These are the sort of screen grabs that give me hope - the left video stone really does just look more similar to the big black, which is the bottom stone in the middle video. The "base colour" of the right video stone (which was recut into the oval, top stone in the middle video) never takes on that purple bent...

1657064211562.png

1657064277584.png

I just got a FedEx shipment notification so hopefully I'll know for sure by end of week :appl:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well now I’m the cad who can’t recall your asymmetric project,

Hahahaha!

Well, here it is. Definitely will not be stealing any of your thunder on this thread -- they were pretty modest and designed for my adult daughter.

Can skip to the end to see the outcome. She loves them and texts me selfies when she wears them. I don't know who's happier. =)2

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahahaha!

Well, here it is. Definitely will not be stealing any of your thunder on this thread -- they were pretty modest and designed for my adult daughter.

Can skip to the end to see the outcome. She loves them and texts me selfies when she wears them. I don't know who's happier. =)2

Oh I *like* those. A lot. They totally work!! The thicker hoop is unusual, and the bezels have a very specific angular outline, and the stones are precision cut to match, of course - there are so many things "binding" them together as a recognizably mated pair, even with the different colours!

I originally thought about doing just one opal drop because I knew that matching top and bottom would be a pain! But a halo is so... Generic. Like, I don't really care for mismatched pearl studs, because I feel like there's no #DesignElementThatBindsThemTogetherAsARecognizablyMatedPair... One opal in a "generic" halo would have the same issue. The double drop makes clear that this was deliberated! Same philosophy as your daughter's earrings.

We seem to be of one asymmetric mind. :bigsmile: I hope she's enjoying them!!

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I *like* those. A lot. They totally work!! The thicker hoop is unusual, and the bezels have a very specific angular outline, and the stones are precision cut to match, of course - there are so many things "binding" them together as a recognizably mated pair, even with the different colours!

Oh, good -- thanks for saying! And yes -- it was very important (to me) that the bezels follow the stones' geometric outline and not just degenerate into some ovally thing and I think that was achieved. That was probably a big part of the expense in the mounting. It's tricky because everything you see is very small (!). But one day she can get decent-sized aquas or watermelon tourmalines (e.g., one mounted with green on top and one with green on the bottom) or...

And I agree with what you say about the design element. I do have a thing for reciprocal designs vis-a-vis color and/or shape: 1) diamond over emerald (on one ear) vs. emerald over diamond (other ear); or 2) RBC diamond over emerald-cut emerald vs. RBC emerald over emerald-cut diamond; etc.

Since you are the master in matching pearls, all the variables in matching and contrasting opals should be well within your wheelhouse!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey now, I've been positively laid back with this whole opal matching thing compared to pearls - this is not the hill I will die on... This is not the hill I will die on... :lol:

The hoops def give her a ton of flexibility moving forward, they're so sturdy and versatile :love: Can't go wrong with a reusable staple like that!!

I'm officially obsessing about these opals. Left and bottom middle can look really close in body. Whereas the right never looks close - never takes on that purple cast. But left and bottom middle can also look pretty different. But can look close beats never close right? I'm not looking for a perfect match. Just better than I've got right now. Ugh. I've been passively searching for nearly two years. Yeah, I think I need to *not* watch these videos for a few days :eek-2:

1657088060732.png

1657088106999.png

1657088120080.png

1657088132494.png

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Catmom You’re the opal queen so I know you do indeed "get it" :bigsmile:

I've been looping the videos side by side like this on my computer :lol: These are the sort of screen grabs that give me hope - the left video stone really does just look more similar to the big black, which is the bottom stone in the middle video. The "base colour" of the right video stone (which was recut into the oval, top stone in the middle video) never takes on that purple bent...

1657064211562.png

1657064277584.png

I just got a FedEx shipment notification so hopefully I'll know for sure by end of week :appl:

Ooooo can't wait to see the new stone. Looks very close in the screen grabs. Hope it's that way in real life as well.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IT’S HERE!!!!

And I am SO happy!!!! :appl:

Okay. Still not a perfect match. Let’s call it a 75% match. But this new stone keeps that purple body and that seriously makes all the difference!! So relieved :love:

I was very wrong on sizing. I asked for it to be shaved down to 7.5mm long, I need it more like 6mm long :twisted2: Width is right on though. Caysie said she’s got a resource for the recut.

OMG. I guessed right. I got a genuinely uncompromisingly #HighEnd match. Of two black opal reds. What a treat!! And no more niggling irritations, no more passive searching for something better. I feel at peace with this match. I told Caysie that too. ❤️

4534FB89-5F21-4F13-809E-FDC474C47A96.jpeg

… And with this I’m done with opals. Like, so done. It’s positively indecent, how unwilling they are to just mate up and play nice. I’ve matched all the opals I ever care to match :lol:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some daylight pictures. Such a big improvement in colour match, in daytime as well :love:

IMG_7427_PNG.png

IMG_7430_PNG.png

IMG_7436_PNG.png

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. 75% match is great in opal world. I'm so glad you are now content with this match! What will you do with the old one?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. 75% match is great in opal world.
Yes!! Yes it really is. Especially since I needed that purple body specifically, in addition to lots of red colour play and type of colour play and size… And the reality that I don’t have the budget to recut a perfect-but-very-pricey stone. The blue would have been easier to mate, for sure!

I'm so glad you are now content with this match! What will you do with the old one?
Question of the day!! I haven’t a clue yet. Realistically since the opal has to be recut it’ll be a few months, probably, before we get around to actually resetting. So there’s a few months to cook up a plan. :bigsmile: I’m not at all attached to it, maybe just rehome it and move on ::)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!! Yes it really is. Especially since I needed that purple body specifically, in addition to lots of red colour play and type of colour play and size… And the reality that I don’t have the budget to recut a perfect-but-very-pricey stone. The blue would have been easier to mate, for sure!

Question of the day!! I haven’t a clue yet. Realistically since the opal has to be recut it’ll be a few months, probably, before we get around to actually resetting. So there’s a few months to cook up a plan. :bigsmile: I’m not at all attached to it, maybe just rehome it and move on ::)

Oh???????!!!! :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo a fun little late night update:

This rehab project is looking like it’s about to get complicated!! :saint:

Caysie measured my current earring opals back before she set them:
Small white: 5.91x5.26x2.7/0.8mm girdle
Large white: 8.85x6.92x3.1/1.1mm girdle
Small black: 5.82x5.17x2.75/0.85mm girdle
Large black: 8.7x7.2x3.59/1.59mm girdle

Compare the small white with the new black:
7.3x4.8x2.3
The length can be trimmed, of course. But width and depth - they might not work with my current settings, forgiving as this design is!! So in that case we’ll have to trim the width of the small white as well, and recast the top portions of the earrings.

Honestly, I told Caysie that if that’s what we need to do to make these #Perfect then to me it’s money well spent. They’re so close… And goodness knows it’s still cheaper than searching for yet another colour match :shock:

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo a fun little late night update:

This rehab project is looking like it’s about to get complicated!! :saint:

Caysie measured my current earring opals back before she set them:
Small white: 5.91x5.26x2.7/0.8mm girdle
Large white: 8.85x6.92x3.1/1.1mm girdle
Small black: 5.82x5.17x2.75/0.85mm girdle
Large black: 8.7x7.2x3.59/1.59mm girdle

Compare the small white with the new black:
7.3x4.8x2.3
The length can be trimmed, of course. But width and depth - they might not work with my current settings, forgiving as this design is!! So in that case we’ll have to trim the width of the small white as well, and recast the top portions of the earrings.

Honestly, I told Caysie that if that’s what we need to do to make these #Perfect then to me it’s money well spent. They’re so close… And goodness knows it’s still cheaper than searching for yet another colour match :shock:

Don't you just hate when the heart wants what it wants and it's damn the cost and full speed ahead! :lol: They will be spectacular when done. Just keep repeating that.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't you just hate when the heart wants what it wants and it's damn the cost and full speed ahead! :lol: They will be spectacular when done. Just keep repeating that.

Yes. Exactly. And it’s true: Even with the cost of a recast, if we end up having to go there, this will still cost less than I would have paid buying them pre-made from a designer!

And let’s be honest, no one making a piece for stock would have chosen these reddish black opals. They would’ve gone with a blue base, SO much easier to match!! It’s the red in the black that’s the complication here - but it’s also what makes these earrings so special, to me ❤️

I’ll be pleased as punch when they’re all finished :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is totally just me hogging my own thread at this point, but they're on their way out to Caysie... ❤️

I expect this whole thing will take several months so I took a couple more pics to tide myself over... I scotch taped the new baby red on top of the old blue - SO much better, oh my goodness! I had to force myself to stop gawking!!

LMCOMP1.jpg

LMCOMP2.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results