shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian repro splendour from Black Opal Direct, M'sOpalWorld, and CvB - B&W opal/OEC earrings + bracelet

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The world sure has become a different place in the space of less than a year!

Although I did not travel for work, we would travel internationally yearly... sometimes twice a year, so it feels quite strange to not have that kind of freedom any more! I wish I had been so lucky to have had the option to see Caysie and Hisano regularly! Although I have never worked with her, I have long admired her work. I went through a pearl phase long before I hit the diamond and bling phase and have my fair share of pretties from PP!

Perhaps one day the world will settle to the point where it is possible to travel freely again.

I got exposed to covid-19 at work recently. As Australia is fortunate to have quite low numbers, this was worrying for everyone. They ended up locking down 70(!) of us front line health care workers due to this exposure, and for 2 weeks I was in isolation. Luckily I did not come back as positive despite repeated tests and remained asymptomatic.
During this period, I locked myself up in an empty house sans bling.

Just 14 days without earrings, and I felt my piercings had grown so much smaller that it was difficult for me to put my usual diamond studs back in! They do have thicker posts, but 2 weeks?!

I’m glad to hear that your piercings too, have healed so that you do not need to consider repair of them! The problem is... now what? How will you wear your beautiful earrings? Will you slowly stretch them back out to the point where you can just put the wires through again?

My piercings are slightly smaller than they used to be, but with a bit of wriggling, I can still get them through right now. It took a long time to stretch them far enough that these posts didn’t hurt me to begin with, so I don’t want to go through that again!

P.S. although I haven’t worn much bling at home this year, back when I was studying, I sure did!! It would cheer me up for sure. Fabulous earrings, rings, I wore them ALL!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The world sure has become a different place in the space of less than a year!

Although I did not travel for work, we would travel internationally yearly... sometimes twice a year, so it feels quite strange to not have that kind of freedom any more! I wish I had been so lucky to have had the option to see Caysie and Hisano regularly! Although I have never worked with her, I have long admired her work. I went through a pearl phase long before I hit the diamond and bling phase and have my fair share of pretties from PP!

Perhaps one day the world will settle to the point where it is possible to travel freely again.

I got exposed to covid-19 at work recently. As Australia is fortunate to have quite low numbers, this was worrying for everyone. They ended up locking down 70(!) of us front line health care workers due to this exposure, and for 2 weeks I was in isolation. Luckily I did not come back as positive despite repeated tests and remained asymptomatic.
During this period, I locked myself up in an empty house sans bling.

Just 14 days without earrings, and I felt my piercings had grown so much smaller that it was difficult for me to put my usual diamond studs back in! They do have thicker posts, but 2 weeks?!

I’m glad to hear that your piercings too, have healed so that you do not need to consider repair of them! The problem is... now what? How will you wear your beautiful earrings? Will you slowly stretch them back out to the point where you can just put the wires through again?

My piercings are slightly smaller than they used to be, but with a bit of wriggling, I can still get them through right now. It took a long time to stretch them far enough that these posts didn’t hurt me to begin with, so I don’t want to go through that again!

P.S. although I haven’t worn much bling at home this year, back when I was studying, I sure did!! It would cheer me up for sure. Fabulous earrings, rings, I wore them ALL!

Oh my goodness. I’m so glad you avoided it!! :eek-2: I hope everyone who wasn't as lucky is doing okay now!!

Isolation sans bling over COVID fears sounds like such a depressing mix of scary and dreary ;( I have to be honest, in the US it feels… Inevitable is the only word I’m coming up with right now. It feels like it’s really just a matter of time before everyone here comes down with it, and all we can do is keep as healthy as possible so that we give ourselves the best possible chance of fighting it, knowing that that won’t be enough for all of us.

I guess that’s scary and dreary and maudlin.

Re. Earrings - I’m torn! (Now there’s a terrible word in context of piercing stretching) Half of me is confident that they’ll just stretch out again as soon as I start wearing earrings regularly again, so switching posts and wires en masse will be a waste of money. The other half of me wants to celebrate by having everything altered right now, and only ever wearing earrings with BlingDots forever more to keep them this way! But given my usual morning lazy - I know there’s no chance I’ll keep up with “stickers onto lobes before earrings” so… :rolleyes:

Hey, at least I’m honest with myself right? :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After a year of dithering over the last two opals, inspiration struck one random Tuesday, and Caysie created yet another extravaganza :love:

BLACK OPAL
From FreeformRockArt, purchased through Opal Auctions

Weight: 1.13ct, solid Lightning Ridge
Body: N2
Brightness: B5
Primary Pattern(s): Mackerel Sky

I actually purchased three opals at the same time from Opal Auctions - from three different vendors. And, well, Opal Auctions is an auction site, so all the usual #BuyerBeware caveats definitely apply! This stone was the most expensive of my test trio, but all three were in the same neighbourhood on price and the other two were thoroughly and disappointingly unremarkable. I think I hit jackpot with this stone - it really is this astonishingly bright and vivid in-person, contrary to all reasonable expectations :love:

Vendor photos:

1599102172279.png

- - - - - - - - - -

1599102183877.png

- - - - - - - - - -

1599102192778.png

- - - - - - - - - -

WHITE OPAL
From M's Opal World - owned by our very own @jordyonbass!! :cool2:

Weight: 1.08ct, solid Lightning Ridge
Body: N9
Brightness: B3
Primary Pattern(s): Chaff & Pinfire

Jordan found rough and custom cut this for me to match the black ::) For anyone looking for opals - J is lovely to chat with! I've stolen many more hours of his time than I've earned, and I've learnt more about opals - finding opals, cutting opals, grading opals, choosing opals - than I ever guessed I didn't know!

This pair - I absolutely adore the juxtaposition of "darkest black" (okay, it's N2 not N1, so not really - but close enough) and "lightest white" (N9 actually is as light-bodied as they get) :love:

Vendor photos (J's wife is the photographer):

1599102359968.png

- - - - - - - - - -

The two whites that I've bought from J - the one on the right (N8 body) is in the earrings that started this thread ::)

1599102389805.png

SETTING
E/W Cora halos with a mix of rose-cut and full-cut melee :love: The beaded cuff and halos are 14k palladium-WG, and the opal mounts are 14k YG.

Setting these opals was challenging: They've got different outlines (the black is off-oval), they've got different depths (the white has more vertical height than the black), and they've got different dome shapes (the white has an even dome and rounded profile, whereas the black has a visibly asymmetric dome and sharp corners that lead into flat sides). My first thought was to refinish the black, but the colour zoning lacks depth - removing surface material would quickly yield poch :geek: The Cora turned out to be both a beautiful and beautifully forgiving choice - since it's assembled in two parts it's flexible on both stone outline and stone depth, and choosing prongs rather than bezels mitigated complications due to dome variance, and the busy halo very effectively distracts from any casual comparisons!

Opals are delicate, so it won't be a regular-wear piece, but my special-occasion bracelet selection is now a little more diverse and a lot more grand :bigsmile:

Caysie's photos:

1599102427260.png

- - - - - - - - - -

1599102436196.png

- - - - - - - - - -

1599102444604.png

- - - - - - - - - -

1599102452168.png

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I might have to try that on for a wee moment!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa. :kiss2::kiss2:

I might have a wee lol :bigsmile:

Incredible. And you know I think your earrings are TDF.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! I’ll be back... just need to stop myself from wordless gaping...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Just a wee moment B? ::)

Who am I kidding? You enjoy the tea and treaties I made to distract you and I'll wear it while you eat. Girl's gotta eat.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ok..
Umm...

I can't get enough pictures of these earrings AND your new cuff!!

Surely we'll get more colorful shards because there is a ring & pendant left to create!! We need to see this complete set come to fruition!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: I didn't see this thread at all! What stunning jewels!! That black opal is electric, and that white one is dreamy.

What's so cool about your cuff is that at certain angles, you don't see any part of the cuff and only the opals. It looks like the opals have been attached to your skin. Otherworldly.... Caysie killed it!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely breathtaking!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Oh wow! Your new cuff (and your older opal pieces too - I love it when older threads pop back up) is stunning, but this picture in particular I could look at all day. You have exquisite jewellery taste!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Another gorgeous piece!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunningly opalishous!!!!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Fabulous (which a better word than my original "ooff"). The colours are mesmerising, not to mention the halo design.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful, @yssie. Completely original and so elegant. All you, girl.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa. :kiss2::kiss2:

I might have a wee lol :bigsmile:

Incredible. And you know I think your earrings are TDF.
I legit snorted out loud :bigsmile:

Who am I kidding? You enjoy the tea and treaties I made to distract you and I'll wear it while you eat. Girl's gotta eat.
I will delightedly don my best and bib and arrived armed (heh) with munificent contributions for tea and treaties ::)

I can offer up deconstructed profiteroles. They always deflate when I stuff 'em - well, you win some, you lose some? :bigsmile:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great creative vision and outcome. Sharpness of the claws against the softness of the swirls. Just enough distance between opals, when looking down, they look well matched. Yet, from the side--even if an onlooker has seen the bracelet before, will see another time, a different bracelet. Oh well done.

cheers--Sharon

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I legit snorted out loud :bigsmile:

I will delightedly don my best and bib and arrived armed (heh) with munificent contributions for tea and treaties ::)

I can offer up deconstructed profiteroles. They always deflate when I stuff 'em - well, you win some, you lose some? :bigsmile:

It's. A. Date.
Bling or not. I need something to pull me thru the pandemic besides alcohol and cursing under my breath.

Deconstructed p's you say? Cool.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! I’ll be back... just need to stop myself from wordless gaping...
That was honestly just about my reaction when I opened the package - so we've got that in common! :lol:

Ok..
Umm...

I can't get enough pictures of these earrings AND your new cuff!!

Surely we'll get more colorful shards because there is a ring & pendant left to create!! We need to see this complete set come to fruition!!
Thank you!! ::)

I promised the other half I was done with opals. He rolled his eyes. I suppose he's not entirely wrong in presuming that my manifesto promises may be subject to alteration with little notice... :halo:

All hail the Queen of asymmetry!! :appl:
Oh. Now that's a title I'll take and run (away) with. I'm going to need a crown... And a sceptre...

In all seriousness - I am LOVING this white :love: The N9 body is just so special. It's white as paper! I can just imagine how bright the colours would be if the body was even a touch darker... My photos don't do it justice at all.

Vimeo compresses far more than I'd like, but... Better than still photos? Maybe?

Oh my goodness!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: I didn't see this thread at all! What stunning jewels!! That black opal is electric, and that white one is dreamy.

What's so cool about your cuff is that at certain angles, you don't see any part of the cuff and only the opals. It looks like the opals have been attached to your skin. Otherworldly.... Caysie killed it!
Thank you love :love:

Caysie definitely nailed it (again)! This is actually the second iteration, and we bulked the cuff portion up a bit, but it's still pretty delicate. No cause for concern as it'll be an occasional-wear sort of piece! :)) And I'm so glad we went with E/W halos, they're superbly comfortable on the wrist ::)

The black - it's by far the brightest of them all. I don't anticipate ever topping it! Talk about lucky auction win :cool2:

Absolutely breathtaking!
Thank you!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! Your new cuff (and your older opal pieces too - I love it when older threads pop back up) is stunning, but this picture in particular I could look at all day. You have exquisite jewellery taste!
Thank you so much for your very kind thoughts!!

Having buried this piece on the fourth page of a year-old thread, I really didn't imagine too many people would see it - so these responses are all lovely surprises ::)

These opals are just a dream to photograph, and the setting is a sublime study in contrasts :love: And I didn't realize until just now that I picked red flowers for both the original earrings and this cuff! Consistency is a virtue - right? :bigsmile: That pic is my favourite too - a dreamy otherworld inside a stone... :love:

Wow! Another gorgeous piece!!!
Thank you!! ::)

Stunningly opalishous!!!!
Thank you love! :bigsmile:

Fabulous (which a better word than my original "ooff"). The colours are mesmerising, not to mention the halo design.
When I saw the vendor photos and video for the black - let's just say that I was extremely skeptical!! You can't begin to imagine my surprise when I opened the package and found myself genuinely impressed :bigsmile:

I called FreeFormRockArt to let them know how happy I was to have found at least one honest auction vendor on the site! They're lovely people too ::) They mostly deal in boulder opals - to be honest I couldn't guess how they came to be selling this specimen! But in the spirit of not questioning gift horses...

I'm so happy with all my opal pieces. They surpass anything I'd envisioned two years ago :love:

So beautiful, @yssie. Completely original and so elegant. All you, girl.
Caysie's Cora and these stones were meant to find each other. I waffled over these two stones for so long, and realized they were calling to each other so suddenly, and when I mentioned it to Caysie she knew right away that it was a perfect match... It feels like it really was meant to be this way - that this final reckoning was the cause of all my prior indecision. I suppose there there are crazier things!

Thank you darling ::)

Last edited:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, I’m back. The sheer beauty of these pieces took me out for awhile!

I LOVE them. @yssie, your collection never ceases to amaze me. If there was one PS’ers collection that I would want to own the most, it would be yours. Every single piece is utter perfection.

Caysie has done a phenomenal job. The Cora halo is substantial, gives off a Victorian? Kind of vibe, and just so elegant! I’m loving the details on all of these pieces. The super delicate milgrain on the Cora halo itself, then the more substantial milgrain on the cuff. The way the cuff joins to the Cora halos. The contrasting yet perfectly matched opals.

I know nothing about opals. Before you and missy, I just thought they weren’t really for me. I take it all back!! I need to learn more about opals. I’m converted. Pretty sure I NEED pieces like yours in my life. Really.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh. Now that's a title I'll take and run (away) with. I'm going to need a crown... And a sceptre...

In all seriousness - I am LOVING this white :love: The N9 body is just so special. It's white as paper! I can just imagine how bright the colours would be if the body was even a touch darker...

A crown and sceptre with asymmetrical Opals, I like that idea.

While all of us Opal cutters pray for that dark body tone, mother nature only gives us what she wants sometimes! We'll take what we can get :mrgreen:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great creative vision and outcome. Sharpness of the claws against the softness of the swirls. Just enough distance between opals, when looking down, they look well matched. Yet, from the side--even if an onlooker has seen the bracelet before, will see another time, a different bracelet. Oh well done.

cheers--Sharon
Sharon - thank you ::)

I love your description. Another time, maybe another place, a different bracelet. Maybe it was symmetric, once upon a time, and one stone was replaced... Or maybe the halos were from earrings that were grafted onto a revival cuff...

Caysie's work is magical. So many possibilities :love:

It's. A. Date.
Bling or not. I need something to pull me thru the pandemic besides alcohol and cursing under my breath.

Deconstructed p's you say? Cool.
If this was pre-COVID you really would have a date B!

One month before COVID hit the roof and everything shut down en masse there was a big end-of-quarter party at the office. I was tired and left after about half an hour - apparently a fair number of us went home early. If I'd had any inkling that'd be the last big gathering I got to attend for six, eight, ten months... ;(

One day when all this is over we'll have that tea party. In the meantime - consider my vanilla earl grey with steamed milk an ode to all the appropriate sentiments. Or, wait, should that be with the rum? :oops2:

inne

Shiny_Rock
I have never liked opals before in my life, but these pieces are making me think I need them. So beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results