shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Victorian Brooch Conversion Project

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are a great aunt! all the pieces are beautiful.. I love the necklace.. very cool to repurpose!
Thanks! Gotta start their love of shiny things early! :mrgreen2:

My goodness this is absolutely stunning and what a bargain as well! Congratulations!
Thank you! I’m so pleased with the deal I got as well. Franziska on Etsy is awesome!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image.jpg I got a brooch! It's dark and moody with bits of brightness like yours truly.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image.jpg I got a brooch! It's dark and moody with bits of brightness like yours truly.

That’s awesome! It matches your new ring too. Are you thinking of adding a bail or having a chain attached directly?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s awesome! It matches your new ring too. Are you thinking of adding a bail or having a chain attached directly?
Yes - I have turquoise mania since seeing @Niel's ring in Texas and then getting my turquoise cowboy boots (and a matching turquoise purse... and turquoise ring and earrings...)

I feel bad bc normally I'd have asked you right off the bat if you wouldn't mind if I did a similar conversion. I am still living a frat boy vampire-like existence, but it's waning (my moon humor), so sometimes I don't think logically. I am so enchanted with your whole project and the pin and how it looks on you. I was pinging friends left and right asking did you SEE this?!?! :lickout: It looks so graceful and elegant on you especially with the white collared shirt. It's aspirational for me.:love:

As you can see, based on the pin I've picked, it ain't gonna look the same on me. I'm a discombobulated swan.:wacko: I was still a goofball with my hair and makeup professionally done whilst stuffed in a wedding dress. Yeah it's a moon pin but it's not grown up and sophisticated and classy like yours lololol. It's "distressed" and I'm assuming the turquoise beads are purposely mismatched.:confused2:

Ive decided that I don't like a centered bail and I do want to attach it angled like yours, but with the flower attached still. I even have a crude back story for my pin. A man presents flowers to his lady and then let's her know he's "horny" - hence the crescent moon with its horns. The tarnished silver and the turquoise beads symbolize that he didn't get any (silver that's "polished" stays bright and white), and ended up with blue balls.:lol:. Mebbe I'll polish the pin and post a selfie one day when I finally get some so you all will know. :whistle:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - I have turquoise mania since seeing @Niel's ring in Texas and then getting my turquoise cowboy boots (and a matching turquoise purse... and turquoise ring and earrings...)

I feel bad bc normally I'd have asked you right off the bat if you wouldn't mind if I did a similar conversion. I am still living a frat boy vampire-like existence, but it's waning (my moon humor), so sometimes I don't think logically. I am so enchanted with your whole project and the pin and how it looks on you. I was pinging friends left and right asking did you SEE this?!?! :lickout: It looks so graceful and elegant on you especially with the white collared shirt. It's aspirational for me.:love:

As you can see, based on the pin I've picked, it ain't gonna look the same on me. I'm a discombobulated swan.:wacko: I was still a goofball with my hair and makeup professionally done whilst stuffed in a wedding dress. Yeah it's a moon pin but it's not grown up and sophisticated and classy like yours lololol. It's "distressed" and I'm assuming the turquoise beads are purposely mismatched.:confused2:

Ive decided that I don't like a centered bail and I do want to attach it angled like yours, but with the flower attached still. I even have a crude back story for my pin. A man presents flowers to his lady and then let's her know he's "horny" - hence the crescent moon with its horns. The tarnished silver and the turquoise beads symbolize that he didn't get any (silver that's "polished" stays bright and white), and ended up with blue balls.:lol:. Mebbe I'll polish the pin and post a selfie one day when I finally get some so you all will know. :whistle:
Lol! Love your pin! the turquoise cabs were all probably the same color when it was new. Old turquoise can show color change after absorption of oils over a long period of time unless it’s from the hardest material. Most has varying degrees of porosity except for the most glassy pieces. many people collect the older pieces which have the older stones because of the varying blues caused by absorption. Personally, I think they are uniquely beautiful that way...like your pin!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m quite excited to see another conversion! Stonewell has a lovely one in a different style, so this is by no means proprietary and top-secret. Besides, it’s only right that you can wear head-to-toe turquoise. Go big or go home!

I think your crescent would look great angled. Please start a SMTB thread when it’s ready - I’d love to see it! :kiss2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful conversion piece! I'm glad you were able to use all parts...you really got your money's worth out of that pin!!!
Gorgeous pieces!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful conversion piece! I'm glad you were able to use all parts...you really got your money's worth out of that pin!!!
Gorgeous pieces!
Thanks, I thought so too! I'm really digging antique & vintage pieces these days.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How very, very beautiful! Love the way the pendant hangs, and the ring is darling!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m quite excited to see another conversion! Stonewell has a lovely one in a different style, so this is by no means proprietary and top-secret. Besides, it’s only right that you can wear head-to-toe turquoise. Go big or go home!

I think your crescent would look great angled. Please start a SMTB thread when it’s ready - I’d love to see it! :kiss2:
Thank you for being a sweetheart!:wavey:

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First up, here's the necklace. I opted for a 1.5mm 14K rose gold cable chain in 18" length. The base of the crescent is rose gold and I wanted to match the chain back to that.

1895260F-358F-43F8-9B18-FD330A955B37.jpeg B80B4D1C-7073-4ABF-9223-6C22D7C4E5A2.jpeg ED53FC6D-E8F0-4463-8975-F33DCE33CA30.jpeg 401F7C3B-ABB1-4E98-BFE8-7B97F0EA842E.jpeg 0D04E3E7-D821-474F-848E-C955ACB3FED9.jpeg 056FC188-5E71-4FB1-91EA-5034C02669E4.jpeg
WAIT!!! Where's the LOVE button?!?
Love it! Love it!!! Love it!!! <3

plad25

Shiny_Rock
This is gorgeous!! I love what you did, and it looks fabulous separated as a necklace and ring.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the way all your pieces turned out!! Congrats on a great find and conversion.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BEAUTIFUL!! How smart of you to change a vintage pin into modern set of wearable items!

:appl::appl::appl:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To wrap things up, here are the studs! They’re made from the bezel-set diamonds and prong-set sapphires on either ends of the original brooch. I don’t have measurements but they’re tiny - perfect for second and third lobe piercings.
86523158-A427-4968-BE8C-EBED1E89970F.jpeg C70A03BE-C0F2-49F0-A2E3-3CA3C249D6B3.jpeg 7B40E3BE-46A6-4773-B8BB-7B2B97F3B556.jpeg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To wrap things up, here are the studs! They’re made from the bezel-set diamonds and prong-set sapphires on either ends of the original brooch. I don’t have measurements but they’re tiny - perfect for second and third lobe piercings.
86523158-A427-4968-BE8C-EBED1E89970F.jpeg C70A03BE-C0F2-49F0-A2E3-3CA3C249D6B3.jpeg 7B40E3BE-46A6-4773-B8BB-7B2B97F3B556.jpeg
Wow!:love:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my pin and its true to the pics! It's only an inch by an inch, and the two ends of the crescent are much closer than yours, so I won't be hanging it askew.
IMG_4313.JPG

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my pin and its true to the pics! It's only an inch by an inch, and the two ends of the crescent are much closer than yours, so I won't be hanging it askew.
IMG_4313.JPG

You guys are breaking my heart. I'm trying to single handedly bring back the brooch. Sigh.....It is still a wonderful piece and will look lovely as a pendant!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are breaking my heart. I'm trying to single handedly bring back the brooch. Sigh.....It is still a wonderful piece and will look lovely as a pendant!
If you saw my IG you'll see why it has to be converted to a pendant... I can't handle the pokey end unless it comes with a child safety. :wall:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_4313.JPG

It’s so charming, PintoBean! That size would make it fun to layer with other necklaces.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you saw my IG you'll see why it has to be converted to a pendant... I can't handle the pokey end unless it comes with a child safety. :wall:

I could handle the pokey, but I’d probably forget to take pins off my clothes before I launder them. I’ve already done it to a rainbow flag one. Thank goodness that was a work freebie and it survived.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie, honey pie, sweetie pie;)2,

Secret time... just between you and me...:shifty::silenced:
I bought another crescent moon;(. I justified it as one for each cheek, cuz both cheeks make a full moon, no?:eek2::think:. The cats have cut me off...:hand:
IMG_4314.JPG

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:naughty:
@JPie, honey pie, sweetie pie;)2,

Secret time... just between you and me...:shifty::silenced:
I bought another crescent moon;(. I justified it as one for each cheek, cuz both cheeks make a full moon, no?:eek2::think:. The cats have cut me off...:hand:
IMG_4314.JPG

Once you start, you can’t stop! Excellent second find. :kiss2: This one looks like it’d be great with the chain soldered on assymetrically.

Also, you’re killing Catmom. :naughty:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:naughty:

Once you start, you can’t stop! Excellent second find. :kiss2: This one looks like it’d be great with the chain soldered on assymetrically.

Also, you’re killing Catmom. :naughty:
I knowwwwww ;( (and are you in my head?!?!:shock:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results