shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera or Brian Gavin E Ring Option

JL1990

Rough_Rock
Hi I am thinking of purchasing a round diamond with the following solitaire settings in platinum from either Brian Gavin or Victor Canera. Please let me know your thoughts about the settings, i like both the cartier 1895 and tiffany classic settings which is the reason for the following selection.

Brian Gavin
Diamond:
Black line Hearts and Arrows 1.312ct Round E VS2
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../1.312-e-vs2-round-diamond-bkags-104097580019
Setting Options:
1. 4 prong with claw prongs and cathedral shank - Elegance setting - USD $1,450
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/elegance-platinum-5415p
2. 6 prong Brian Gavin Signature - Classic Style Knife Edge setting - USD $1,250
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...taire/classic-style-knife-edge-platinum-5336p

or

Victor Canera
Diamond:
Canera Ideal Hearts H&A Diamond 1.405ct Round F-VS2
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104102374002-1.405-f-vs2-hearts-arrows-round
Setting Options:
1. 4 prong basket with cathedral shank - Trueste setting - Enquire for pricing
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-trueste-solitaire
2. 6 prong Solitaire - Gabriella raised band setting - Enquire for pricing
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-gabriella-raised-band-pre-mount

Also do you know if the total prices by Brian Gavin and Victor Canera are fixed or negotiable? If the prices are negotiable, could you provide me what the percentage/discount (%) it could possibly be?

Many thanks.
J

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I vote for BGD 6 prong - you will have a stunning ring!!! He does the prongs so delicately and the 6 makes the stone super round. You've chosen an incredible diamond:love:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor Canera. I like the the fat arrows on his stone and love the Gabriella setting! Victor gives a discount on the stetting with the purchase of a diamond. Quality is top notch!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed that VC is amazing and he offers discounts when you buy setting and stone from him (don't know how much though).

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VC would be my choice on this one - there is a noticeable size difference in the stones (not huge but still detectable by most ppl), F is still extremely white and I love the fatter arrows on the stone. Plus, VC offers a discount if you purchase the stone and setting from him.

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
I do not believe that BGD offers any discounts on his black line, even if there is a coupon I do not think that they are applicable too black. They sometimes do have discounts on settings, depending on which promotion is going on, you would have to inquire about that.

sep004

Rough_Rock
Victor's Gabriella setting is one of my absolute favorites! And that stone is gorgeous.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote for Victor! You get an amazing diamond, an incredible hand-forged setting, and even a discount. That's what I call a slam dunk!

Both of the VC settings you posted are beautiful; just be aware that Victor has multiple versions of the Trueste and the Gabriella solitaires, so be sure to check out all of the options before you finalize your choice. It sound like you are still deciding between four vs. six prongs, which is really a personal aesthetic preference. Either way you go it will be absolutely stunning!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm biased I love Victor's work, so he would be my choice too.... He gives a bit of a discount on the setting if you purchase the stone from him as well. Sometimes Brian Gavin has discounts on settings join their mailing list to get their offers.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I like the Victor stone more. And a hand forged setting is a lovely bonus of working with him.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more vote for Victor. Totally biased as I have 4 rings from him.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Totally biased here. BGD black is about the top of the line you can get.
I am sure they will work a little on price with you. I know they do give a discount for wire and if it is a competitive situation, maybe a little more room. I would work with Lesley. O that's right, I already have, LOL.

JL1990

Rough_Rock
I don’t stay in the US.

Unlike the big Brand’s that have retail outlets in all major cities. If I need to have the ring maintained, serviced or resized. If I go with with BG or VC, do you have any recommendations on how to go about it?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor with the 6 prong...love!

Prices are not negotiable as far as I know. Havent heard of anyone trying. I think they are both more of a take it or leave it kind of business. I guess
you can always ask and see what they have to say.

For future resizing or work on the setting, I would send the ring back to BG or Victor.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Does VC work with moissanite centre stones?

Mixtress

Rough_Rock
Premium
What is your ring size? I am thinking of selling my Trueste setting, its brand new and currently fits a 1.45 (7.15mm) carat round. I will put it up on Loupe Troop once I have a new setting in place.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does VC work with moissanite centre stones?
I don't think he works with any outside stones at this time.

This seems to be a somewhat common misperception, but I know for a fact that Victor works with client-supplied stones because he has done this twice for me. He has a handful of very complex settings that he reserves for in-house stones, but the rest can be created for outside stones. Victor has actually chimed in on the boards a few times to clarify this issue. So if you have a setting in mind I would definitely reach out to Victor to make an inquiry!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
This seems to be a somewhat common misperception, but I know for a fact that Victor works with client-supplied stones because he has done this twice for me. He has a handful of very complex settings that he reserves for in-house stones, but the rest can be created for outside stones. Victor has actually chimed in on the boards a few times to clarify this issue. So if you have a setting in mind I would definitely reach out to Victor to make an inquiry!
She did, and he declined.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She did, and he declined.
Oops, sorry about that; I didn't know! Victor is probably very busy with wedding season approaching, so perhaps that is the reason. But I am certain that he still sets client-supplied stones as a general rule.

@JL1990, I am curious to see how things are progressing! Do you have any updates for us? :appl:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results