shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera or Brian Gavin E Ring Option

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by JL1990, May 9, 2019.

1. JL1990
    Rough_Rock

by JL1990 » May 9, 2019
    Hi I am thinking of purchasing a round diamond with the following solitaire settings in platinum from either Brian Gavin or Victor Canera. Please let me know your thoughts about the settings, i like both the cartier 1895 and tiffany classic settings which is the reason for the following selection.

Brian Gavin
    Diamond:
    Black line Hearts and Arrows 1.312ct Round E VS2
    https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../1.312-e-vs2-round-diamond-bkags-104097580019
    Setting Options:
    1. 4 prong with claw prongs and cathedral shank - Elegance setting - USD $1,450
    https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/elegance-platinum-5415p
    2. 6 prong Brian Gavin Signature - Classic Style Knife Edge setting - USD $1,250
    https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...taire/classic-style-knife-edge-platinum-5336p

or

Victor Canera
    Diamond:
    Canera Ideal Hearts H&A Diamond 1.405ct Round F-VS2
    https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104102374002-1.405-f-vs2-hearts-arrows-round
    Setting Options:
    1. 4 prong basket with cathedral shank - Trueste setting - Enquire for pricing
    https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-trueste-solitaire
    2. 6 prong Solitaire - Gabriella raised band setting - Enquire for pricing
    https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-gabriella-raised-band-pre-mount

Also do you know if the total prices by Brian Gavin and Victor Canera are fixed or negotiable? If the prices are negotiable, could you provide me what the percentage/discount (%) it could possibly be?

Many thanks.
    J

2. bling_dream19
    Shiny_Rock

by bling_dream19 » May 9, 2019
    I vote for BGD 6 prong - you will have a stunning ring!!! He does the prongs so delicately and the 6 makes the stone super round. You've chosen an incredible diamond:love:

3. kb1gra
    Brilliant_Rock

by kb1gra » May 9, 2019
    Victor offers a pretty solid discount on settings for stones sourced from him.

I’d probably choose the Victor pairing, but I like his work.

4. Bonfire
    Ideal_Rock

by Bonfire » May 9, 2019
    Victor Canera. I like the the fat arrows on his stone and love the Gabriella setting! Victor gives a discount on the stetting with the purchase of a diamond. Quality is top notch!

5. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » May 9, 2019
    Agreed that VC is amazing and he offers discounts when you buy setting and stone from him (don't know how much though).

carbonfan likes this.
  6. ac117
    Ideal_Rock

by ac117 » May 9, 2019
    VC would be my choice on this one - there is a noticeable size difference in the stones (not huge but still detectable by most ppl), F is still extremely white and I love the fatter arrows on the stone. Plus, VC offers a discount if you purchase the stone and setting from him.

Gussie, carbonfan and lovedogs like this.
  7. TimMD
    Shiny_Rock

by TimMD » May 9, 2019
    I do not believe that BGD offers any discounts on his black line, even if there is a coupon I do not think that they are applicable too black. They sometimes do have discounts on settings, depending on which promotion is going on, you would have to inquire about that.

8. sep004
    Rough_Rock

by sep004 » May 9, 2019
    Victor's Gabriella setting is one of my absolute favorites! And that stone is gorgeous.

carbonfan likes this.
  9. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » May 9, 2019
    Victor definitely. Larger diamond and top quality setting. Easy choice!

summerlove6, Gussie, JrJ and 2 others like this.
  10. carbonfan
    Brilliant_Rock

by carbonfan » May 9, 2019
    Another vote for Victor! You get an amazing diamond, an incredible hand-forged setting, and even a discount. That's what I call a slam dunk!

Both of the VC settings you posted are beautiful; just be aware that Victor has multiple versions of the Trueste and the Gabriella solitaires, so be sure to check out all of the options before you finalize your choice. It sound like you are still deciding between four vs. six prongs, which is really a personal aesthetic preference. Either way you go it will be absolutely stunning!

11. arkieb1
    Ideal_Rock

by arkieb1 » May 9, 2019
    I'm biased I love Victor's work, so he would be my choice too.... He gives a bit of a discount on the setting if you purchase the stone from him as well. Sometimes Brian Gavin has discounts on settings join their mailing list to get their offers.

12. elizat
    Brilliant_Rock

by elizat » May 9, 2019
    I like the Victor stone more. And a hand forged setting is a lovely bonus of working with him.

13. Acinom
    Ideal_Rock

by Acinom » May 10, 2019
    One more vote for Victor. Totally biased as I have 4 rings from him.

carbonfan likes this.
  14. WillyDiamond
    Brilliant_Rock

by WillyDiamond » May 10, 2019
    Totally biased here. BGD black is about the top of the line you can get.
    I am sure they will work a little on price with you. I know they do give a discount for wire and if it is a competitive situation, maybe a little more room. I would work with Lesley. O that's right, I already have, LOL.

bling_dream19 likes this.
  15. hathalove
    Brilliant_Rock

lovedogs likes this.

16. JL1990
    Rough_Rock

by JL1990 » May 12, 2019
    I don’t stay in the US.

Unlike the big Brand’s that have retail outlets in all major cities. If I need to have the ring maintained, serviced or resized. If I go with with BG or VC, do you have any recommendations on how to go about it?

17. tyty333
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by tyty333 » May 12, 2019
    Victor with the 6 prong...love!

Prices are not negotiable as far as I know. Havent heard of anyone trying. I think they are both more of a take it or leave it kind of business. I guess
    you can always ask and see what they have to say.

For future resizing or work on the setting, I would send the ring back to BG or Victor.

lovedogs likes this.
  18. rockysalamander
    Ideal_Rock

by rockysalamander » May 12, 2019
    You are comparing two very good vendors. The difference is that Brian Gavin's settings are cast and Victor Canera's are hand-forged. Neither is inherently better than the other, but if you want delicate prongs than hand-forging offers some benefits.

Another option to consider. I really love HPD.
    https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10508

lovedogs, Acinom and carbonfan like this.
  19. Strawberries1
    Shiny_Rock

by Strawberries1 » May 19, 2019
    Does VC work with moissanite centre stones?

20. kb1gra
    Brilliant_Rock

by kb1gra » May 19, 2019
    I don't think he works with any outside stones at this time.

21. Strawberries1
    Shiny_Rock

by Strawberries1 » May 20, 2019
    Thanks.

22. Mixtress
    Rough_Rock

by Mixtress » May 20, 2019
    What is your ring size? I am thinking of selling my Trueste setting, its brand new and currently fits a 1.45 (7.15mm) carat round. I will put it up on Loupe Troop once I have a new setting in place.

23. carbonfan
    Brilliant_Rock

by carbonfan » May 20, 2019
    This seems to be a somewhat common misperception, but I know for a fact that Victor works with client-supplied stones because he has done this twice for me. He has a handful of very complex settings that he reserves for in-house stones, but the rest can be created for outside stones. Victor has actually chimed in on the boards a few times to clarify this issue. So if you have a setting in mind I would definitely reach out to Victor to make an inquiry!

24. kb1gra
    Brilliant_Rock

by kb1gra » May 20, 2019
    She did, and he declined.

25. carbonfan
    Brilliant_Rock

by carbonfan » May 21, 2019
    Oops, sorry about that; I didn't know! Victor is probably very busy with wedding season approaching, so perhaps that is the reason. But I am certain that he still sets client-supplied stones as a general rule.

@JL1990, I am curious to see how things are progressing! Do you have any updates for us? :appl:

Last edited: May 21, 2019