shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Victor Canera Heirloom Reset

thaifood122

Rough_Rock
Hello lovely PSers! We finally got engaged in August and I wanted to share the final VC piece with all of you! We used the heirloom from my fiancé’s family which has been estimated by appraisers to be anywhere from 3.35 to 3.7 carats, 9.7-9.9 mm across. We didn’t have VC weigh it out of the setting since we forgot to ask! We also didn’t end up recutting it as I was too worried about the heirloom being damaged. It’s not a perfect diamond like many of you have and I can tell there’s some light loss from the open culet and old MRB cut but I love my big old lively slightly imperfect diamond just the same. It’s got life sparkle and quirks. Though I do dream of one day owning my every own large perfectly cut OEC or a large emerald in VC's sophia setting. Maybe as a future anniversary gift for my right hand haha

This diamond has been rated by appraisers to be an I, VS2, faint blue fluorescence with excellent cut and very good symmetry and polish. 98% of the time it looks white though sometimes it looks light blue or yellow in certain natural lighting and overcast. I never realized diamonds could change colors like that and find it really cool.

Victor Canera made a gorgeous low setting for it with channel set French cuts. The platinum is SO lightweight and comfortable and just SO much better than anything I’ve seen before at local jewelers. I’m now seeking a hand forged band to pair with it and drooling over all the PSers who have posted their stacks. Unsure if I want to get a matching wedding band with French cuts and channel setting or go with something a bit more modern. I included a picture of it with the original eternity band which has tiny oec diamonds in a platinum channel setting. That ring is a bit too small and painful on my hand so I’m likely getting a band of my own. I’ve always loved shared prong diamond bands with a scalloped look but unsure if that would look good or weird together. I’ll have to go play around with a lot of rings at some point.

I’ve been wearing this ring daily and sleeping in it to get out of the bad habit of playing with it, taking it off, and leaving it laying on a table while walking away... Glad I got this ring during a time when I’m always home otherwise I definitely would have lost it in a bathroom somewhere!

Right now I’m loving it but I may get another “daily rider” in the future if I start to feel uncomfortable walking around in such a large stone. Do any of you have a daily wear ring due to work? I’ll be in outpatient healthcare eventually (private practice psychiatric provider) and would hate for my patients to judge me or feel uncomfortable with me based on what’s on my ring finger.

D43C8138-5549-4834-88C2-8302761F246D.jpeg 91B74F2F-99C4-4BA9-8C91-ECF5706D1EAF.png 7074B1C7-B826-4A18-A26F-B61BD4F4AEBB.png 3A4B7C53-C361-423F-BBC2-AF1C08DA87AE.png

Last edited:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!! Great result!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad Victor could give it its final home. Your stone is blingy and fabulous. Congratulations! And yes, his settings fit like they're nothing on. Not that there is no weight to it, but just that they're so comfortable and well made that you don't think about it at all. Yet they are completely sturdy as well.

I would not hesitate to get a matching eternity french cut band to go with it since the sparkles of your center are so different from french cuts. And cause I am ocd about matching I would have Victor make it too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful on you - congrats on your engagement and the heirloom diamond!

Get a dish or ring holder of some kind and make yourself take it off and put it in the same place every day. Once you get in the habit of doing that, you won't feel comfortable taking it off and putting it down just anywhere. Will save a lot of angst down the road!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
your ring is beautiful! i love how tasteful the setting is. just love four prongs or double 4 prongs on a round stone! congratulations and enjoy!

dmack

Shiny_Rock
The French cuts are divine!!! I love it, congrats.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful presence!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful - huge congratulations!

As always, Victor's work is perfectly executed & precise.

As for the band, I would definitely get a French cut eternity or 3/4 eternity to match, with also a plain band the same diameter. That way down the line, you could just wear the 2 bands together for work & have a little bit of subtle sparkle.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply stunning and I think a french eternity band from Victor would be the icing on the blingy cake. Perfection. :love:

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
This is so beautiful!

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
@thaifood122 Just beautifull ring! I love the story and the history of your diamond!

For sure it will bring you joy in life. Treasure your small wonder of nature with care for the next generations!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
It’s perfect! Absolutely gorgeous.

I’m a doc and I often wear just my half-eternity ring for work esp on days that I’m doing procedures. I wish I could bling it up every day but it’s not always practical.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
It’s perfect! Absolutely gorgeous.

I’m a doc and I often wear just my half-eternity ring for work esp on days that I’m doing procedures. I wish I could bling it up every day but it’s not always practical.

I have a few friends who are mental health and they all wear plain metal (or stone) bands. Enough to say married but nothing distracting.

Totally unrelated, but I had an interviewer once who had a lovely unusual ring and I was super distracted trying to get a better look. I must have looked like nut.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, congratulations! :appl:

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Such a beautiful setting and diamond! I come back to look at it again and again (:

thaifood122

Rough_Rock
Such a beautiful setting and diamond! I come back to look at it again and again (:

Awww thank you so much! I can’t say I haven’t felt a smidge self conscious about the old imperfect cut and wondering if I should have gotten a new h&a pricescope quality stone. I’m so glad other diamond lovers can appreciate this diamond! I love how supportive and wonderful everyone on this forum have been!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is absolutely gorgeous! :love: Victor's craftsmanship is simply exquisite, and this masterpiece showcases your stone so perfectly! Enjoy every minute of wearing it, and feel free to post as many photos as you'd like! And congratulations on JOTW, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is just beautiful! And the stone really looks great in that video! I love the setting you chose, and I'd personally have Victor make a matching french cut band. You are right that rings like that certainly are not found in most jewelry stores!

I do think many people in healthcare choose to wear bands instead of a large diamond ring to work. I wear a 5 stone diamond band sometimes as an alternative to my solitaire. You'll figure out something that will work for your situation.

But I do want to add one thing. When I am away from my house, under no circumstances would I take my rings off. That is a guaranteed way to lose them. In my home, I have a crystal ring tray in my kitchen and on my bathroom vanity, and if I take my ring off, those are the only two places it goes. That way, it is impossible to lose! I also do not cook, clean, sleep or shower with my rings on in order to keep them in nice condition. Your ring certainly is an heirloom and will be a treasure to hand down someday!

thaifood122

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the tips! I’ve been sleeping with it on for the past two weeks just to get more used to having something on my finger. I have noticed that I am now playing with it less and absentmindedly taking it off less but did not realize I could damage it that way! Thanks so much for letting me know that I could. I’ve never really worn anything on my hands or wrists before so it’s been a new sensation for me and I’m learning I need to be much more careful with such fine pieces of jewelry. I think I will practice taking it off and putting it back only in it’s jewelry box for now.

I do think I’ll probably wear just a band - plain or small diamonds like the FC wedding band (or maybe even nothing at all) on my finger at work in the future and use that as an excuse to get some 2 cttw “engagement”/anniversary diamond studs instead haha. We’ll see. I’ve read a few think pieces online that encourage women to leave their larger engagement rings at home as it can send the wrong message to others or make them feel bad. I do find it a pity that we put so much emphasis on engagement rings being important and such pressure on men to buy expensive rings but then treat them as objects of shame/embarrassment or shameless flaunting afterward. It seems silly that women can be viewed negatively for wearing either diamond rings or untraditional engagement stones but men are never viewed that way for watches be it a cheap timex or top of the line Rolex/Patek Phillipe.

Anyway, I never thought I’d be much of a jewelry person but I’m finding that change now that I’ve found all these magnificent pieces and jewelers on pricescope! My fiancé doesn’t love this newfound interest but says he’s unsurprised as I’ve always had a little bit of a taste for the lavish things in life! Thank you all for all the support, information, and education you’ve provided. It has been invaluable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results