clarity

vent/request for advice-real problems with JKT custom piece

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Re: vent/request for advice-real problems with JKT custom pi

kama_s|1306546049|2932134 said:
Burberrygirl|1306545096|2932116 said:
kama_s|1306518337|2931775 said:
AJ, I feel horrible that you constantly have such bad luck with jewelry, from shipping to customs to this. I'm sorry to hear about your bracelet experience. Reading the policies that Indylady posted has me rather outraged. JKT doesn't seem to realize that without her customers she is nothing - i.e., she works FOR her customers and her primary goal should be to keep them happy.
This comment really kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I understand that she works for her customers but your wording seems a little harsh to me.

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion, as, by the way, am I.
Kama, thank you for your mature response. I was a little scared to post in this thread...I've just read a few things lately about Julia and her success that I don't agree with. I didn't mean to single you out. Everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinion. I hope you don't feel as if I was trying to attack you.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Burberrygirl|1306547798|2932156 said:
kama_s|1306546049|2932134 said:
Burberrygirl|1306545096|2932116 said:
kama_s|1306518337|2931775 said:
AJ, I feel horrible that you constantly have such bad luck with jewelry, from shipping to customs to this. I'm sorry to hear about your bracelet experience. Reading the policies that Indylady posted has me rather outraged. JKT doesn't seem to realize that without her customers she is nothing - i.e., she works FOR her customers and her primary goal should be to keep them happy.
This comment really kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I understand that she works for her customers but your wording seems a little harsh to me.

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion, as, by the way, am I.
Kama, thank you for your mature response. I was a little scared to post in this thread...I've just read a few things lately about Julia and her success that I don't agree with. I didn't mean to single you out. Everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinion. I hope you don't feel as if I was trying to attack you.

Sure, I didn't take it personally. I am actually not really aware of who JKT is, haven't even been to her online store. My interpretation was based on AJ's account and more importantly, the absurd policies that are apparently listed on this vendor's website (posted by Indylady).

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock

IndyLady|1306509210|2931685 said:
This is taken off her website:

*Custom orders may not be canceled or returned,
so please be sure of your order before it is placed.
**Notice regarding client supplied stones** All stones supplied by clients are sent at their own risk. I will not be held liable for damage, theft, or loss of materials while in my possession or during shipping. Clients are responsible for insuring their stones before they are sent.
* Due to unforeseen schedule interruptions, implementation of new processes, etc., custom project finish dates are not guaranteed.
**Julia Kay Taylor reserves the right to discontinue services at any point during a transaction if conditions of coercion are employed by a client covertly or otherwise, or upon being provided with false information that could result in a violation of state, federal or international laws. --this one was just strange.
**Julia Kay Taylor reserves the right to update these policies at any time without notice. It is advised that you check in regularly to view updates.

http://www.juliakaytaylor.com/policies.html
I'm not saying I totally agree with Julia's policies, but AJ agreed to them when she ordered the custom piece.

I actually don't think it's uncommon for a vendor not to allow custom orders to be returned. Other popular Etsy vendors such as Sally and Daniel M have policies that say custom orders are non-refundable, which is pretty much the same thing as Julia's no return of custom orders policy. Returning a custom piece of jewelry isn't the same as returning a tv to Best Buy. These vendors have to protect themselves otherwise they're going to be out the cost of materials and the time they spent making the piece if it's returned.

The policy that custom orders can not be canceled is also not uncommon. For a custom piece with Julia there's a $100 deposit and you pay half of the total before she starts the piece. This is to reserve her time and buy the materials. Again, if the customer cancels and she doesn't have this policy she is out the cost of material and her time. Also, there is usually a lot of discussion about the project before your custom order is even placed and she sends you an invoice. Sally requires half of the total which is non-refundable before work is started.

Everyone I've worked with has a policy about not being responsible for damaged or lost stones during shipping or when setting. If a stone is expensive the customer should have already insured it prior to sending it. Again, another very common policy.

I don't think the schedule policy is that crazy either. It's to protect her in case there are unforeseen circumstances that prevent her from making a deadline. The policy was probably put in place in case a project was more difficult that she anticipated and time consuming changes had to be made. I would assume that Julia would ask the customer if they were okay with pushing the deadline back and not just fail to complete the custom project on the original date.

The last policy is a pretty standard line as far as policies go. This is definitely not the first time I've seen this line or something like it. I'm not saying I agree with it, again, it's probably meant to protect her just in case.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

My sympathies to both AJ and Freke for dealing with projects that were not as they should be and getting poor customer service. I think that some of us, myself included, start to think of the vendors as our "friends." When something goes wrong, we expect that they will care about us and will treat us fairly and with compassion. It is disheartening to find out that this is not so, in many cases. Julia should have been very clear with you, AJ, about the orientation of the design elements. They were crucial to this piece. I would expect her to take it back and redo it to your reasonable expectations. I had one blow up with my jeweler. We were able to resolve it and things went smoothly from then on. I would like to offer Julia some brief therapy called "smack on head"!! Please let us know what happens. Hopefully, she will do the right thing. If not, her PS clients may go elsewhere.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I agree with BurberryGirl on the policies being quite standard, but I still think (1) the timeline for AJ's piece was way too long, and (2) the idea of reserving design time for half a year to a year down the line with a $100 deposit doesn't sit well with me.

She does take a bit of artistic license with her work, and I think it can be hard for us PSers to give up control over what a piece will look like in the end.

Despite these threads, I do want to say that I've been 100% satisfied with each piece I've commissioned from JKT, and she's always been easy to work with. At the same time, I don't think I'll be able to go to her for custom project any time soon because of the prohibitive cost and wait time. A $275 minimum even for a simple all-silver piece is very steep, and I think it's reasonable to finish custom projects in 2 months, not closer to a year.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Burberrygirl|1306552369|2932201 said:

**Notice regarding client supplied stones** All stones supplied by clients are sent at their own risk. I will not be held liable for damage, theft, or loss of materials while in my possession or during shipping. Clients are responsible for insuring their stones before they are sent.
* Due to unforeseen schedule interruptions, implementation of new processes, etc., custom project finish dates are not guaranteed.
**Julia Kay Taylor reserves the right to discontinue services at any point during a transaction if conditions of coercion are employed by a client covertly or otherwise, or upon being provided with false information that could result in a violation of state, federal or international laws. --this one was just strange.
**Julia Kay Taylor reserves the right to update these policies at any time without notice. It is advised that you check in regularly to view updates.

I'm not saying I totally agree with Julia's policies, but AJ agreed to them when she ordered the custom piece.

I actually don't think it's uncommon for a vendor not to allow custom orders to be returned. Other popular Etsy vendors such as Sally and Daniel M have policies that say custom orders are non-refundable, which is pretty much the same thing as Julia's no return of custom orders policy. Returning a custom piece of jewelry isn't the same as returning a tv to Best Buy. These vendors have to protect themselves otherwise they're going to be out the cost of materials and the time they spent making the piece if it's returned.

The policy that custom orders can not be canceled is also not uncommon. For a custom piece with Julia there's a $100 deposit and you pay half of the total before she starts the piece. This is to reserve her time and buy the materials. Again, if the customer cancels and she doesn't have this policy she is out the cost of material and her time. Also, there is usually a lot of discussion about the project before your custom order is even placed and she sends you an invoice. Sally requires half of the total which is non-refundable before work is started.

Everyone I've worked with has a policy about not being responsible for damaged or lost stones during shipping or when setting. If a stone is expensive the customer should have already insured it prior to sending it. Again, another very common policy.

I don't think the schedule policy is that crazy either. It's to protect her in case there are unforeseen circumstances that prevent her from making a deadline. The policy was probably put in place in case a project was more difficult that she anticipated and time consuming changes had to be made. I would assume that Julia would ask the customer if they were okay with pushing the deadline back and not just fail to complete the custom project on the original date.

The last policy is a pretty standard line as far as policies go. This is definitely not the first time I've seen this line or something like it. I'm not saying I agree with it, again, it's probably meant to protect her just in case.

Burberry -
it is quite clear from mine and Freke's threads that you believe JKT has and can do no wrong. I understand this - I was just like that until about 2 months ago - look at my old threads - I was easily one of Julia's earliest and most vocal, one-eyed supporters on this board! Despite having a major falling out before the bracelet was shipped, I had made a firm decision and put all of that behind me, and was greatly looking forward to receiving, loving and hopefully wearing (eventually, at my wedding) my bracelet..

You have not addressed the policy on "coercion" - I have never seen any policy like this; I'm curious if you also believe that is normal and standard?

With regards to these policies, I would be happy to be disproved if JKT or someone else could provide a dated screen shot of the policies page from when I was doing my bracelet project (or something similar) - as I do not feel I agreed to these policies, as I do not believe a number of them existed at that time. If I was told of such policies, where the client is left with little to no rights or recourse - that certainly may have changed things from the get-go.

Furthermore - I have dealt with JKT solely through Etsy convos and then later on, emails. I had only become aware of and visited her official site after my first two projects with her were complete. Seeing as these were both great successes, I didn't feel the need to comb through all policies before commissioning my third project. None of the more... let's say the policies which are not really geared towards customer satisfaction outcomes... are present in her Etsy store policies page.
Perhaps there is a duty of care to advise clients when policies change quite drastically, and not in the customers favour..?
just an idea. ::)

Finally, I never asked for a definite finish date on this project - I was promised 4 separate ones, all in writing, and all of which were missed.
I know that you are firmly on Julia's side with this discussion, but I would like to ask you to try on my shoes for just a minute, and to ask how you would feel about other PS'ers jumping ahead of you in a vendor's completion schedule, when you have put down close to a 50% deposit, for no apparent or clearly explained reason?

I didn't mind waiting for my bracelet - I told JKT this Many times, and have no issues admitting it. I said I greatly preferred something done right, than something even slightly rushed.
*However*, this project was certainly not rushed, and in the end it was not done right.
Why should I be expected to wait over 12 months for that unsatisfactory outcome?

This is not, and has not been about the timeline though, so I digress..it is about a piece of jewellery that is un-wearable. I would have happily waited another 6 months if it were to avoid the current situation. :))

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

iLander|1306504302|2931644 said:
Didn't read all the posts, just asking this one point; Did you tell her you were dissatisfied within her return period? Perhaps you should have returned it right away?

I agree, it's not to your satisfaction, and it doesn't match the drawing at all, just wondering if you told her right away. If you did, then there's no excuse for her not responding, that's just not businesslike. If you waited a month or two to say anything, then you may be stuck with it.

BTW I've never had anything made by her, and I'm not a "fan" of hers. Just trying to be objective.

Hi Ilander - a fair question. The answer is No - I did not tell Julia within 2 days of the bracelet arriving about my unhappiness with it.
I told her a few weeks later. It than took another few weeks to gain a response from JKT.
There are a number of reasons for this, most of which are quite personal and at this stage I'm not sure if they're constructive for a public discussion.
Julia is aware of the main, I guess you would say key reason that I did not contact her straight away.

I know that two wrongs don't make a right, so some may not agree with the following - but I feel like I basically cut Julia a lot of slack on this project, and it would be fair for her to return the favour regarding the (very small window) return policy requirement.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

From following JKT's site, I think she's gone quickly from an "artisan" to the queen of fine print. This is taken off her website:

Did anyone else catch this one? She is not liable if she LOSES YOUR STONE while in her possession. Seriously! No way, no how, never ever. Frankly, her policies make her sound like a paranoid nutjob or else a rather unsavory type of character.

AJ- Sorry that you are going through this! :nono: I am disgusted and heart broken for you, over what was clearly a sentimental and expensive piece.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

arjunajane|1306587981|2932356 said:

Burberry -
it is quite clear from mine and Freke's threads that you believe JKT has and can do no wrong. I understand this - I was just like that until about 2 months ago - look at my old threads - I was easily one of Julia's earliest and most vocal, one-eyed supporters on this board! Despite having a major falling out before the bracelet was shipped, I had made a firm decision and put all of that behind me, and was greatly looking forward to receiving, loving and hopefully wearing (eventually, at my wedding) my bracelet..

You have not addressed the policy on "coercion" - I have never seen any policy like this; I'm curious if you also believe that is normal and standard?

With regards to these policies, I would be happy to be disproved if JKT or someone else could provide a dated screen shot of the policies page from when I was doing my bracelet project (or something similar) - as I do not feel I agreed to these policies, as I do not believe a number of them existed at that time. If I was told of such policies, where the client is left with little to no rights or recourse - that certainly may have changed things from the get-go.

Furthermore - I have dealt with JKT solely through Etsy convos and then later on, emails. I had only become aware of and visited her official site after my first two projects with her were complete. Seeing as these were both great successes, I didn't feel the need to comb through all policies before commissioning my third project. None of the more... let's say the policies which are not really geared towards customer satisfaction outcomes... are present in her Etsy store policies page.
Perhaps there is a duty of care to advise clients when policies change quite drastically, and not in the customers favour..?

Finally, I never asked for a definite finish date on this project - I was promised 4 separate ones, all in writing, and all of which were missed.
I know that you are firmly on Julia's side with this discussion, but I would like to ask you to try on my shoes for just a minute, and to ask how you would feel about other PS'ers jumping ahead of you in a vendor's completion schedule, when you have put down close to a 50% deposit, for no apparent or clearly explained reason?

I didn't mind waiting for my bracelet - I told JKT this Many times, and have no issues admitting it. I said I greatly preferred something done right, than something even slightly rushed.
*However*, this project was certainly not rushed, and in the end it was not done right.
Why should I be expected to wait over 12 months for that unsatisfactory outcome?

This is not, and has not been about the timeline though, so I digress..it is about a piece of jewellery that is un-wearable. I would have happily waited another 6 months if it were to avoid the current situation. :))

Agreed. I think that anyone who had been a JKT fan before and had to wait 14 months for something that wasn't what she wanted (AJ) or waited patiently to receive her first JKT piece that hadn't been finished properly or to agreed standards(myself), you'd probably be singing a very different tune.

I also don't understand the coercion line.

Having worked HAPPILY with Daniel M on multiple occasions on custom pieces, I do not find their policies to be as unsavory as I find JKT's. Having said that, DM's etsy site is not what is bringing home the bacon, whereas I believe JKT's etsy site and website is her only source of income.

They have been suggested already, but here they are in full:

Refunds & Exchanges:
If you wish to return and item please contact us within 7 days of receipt of the merchandise. Refunds will not be issued if contact is made after 7 days. While custom orders are non-refundable, we will make every effort to work with you until you are satisfied with your custom project.

Additional Policies & FAQs:
Daniel M specializes in custom jewelry design and fabrication. We would love to work with you on your custom jewelry ideas. If there are specific gemstones you would like to use for your project we’ll be happy to source them for you. Additionally, we will work with customers’ stones however we cannot be responsible for any damage that may occur to a stone during setting. We are always extremely careful when settings stones but there is a risk of chipping/scratching or otherwise damaging any stone during setting which we cannot be held liable for. Please be sure you are comfortable with this policy before sending us your stones.

Please contact us with your design projects and let us bring your ideas to life!

So what happens when you commission a custom piece from DM? For me, it has always been a several step process:

1. I convo them about the details with pictures, sketches, dimensions of stones.
2. They convo me back with a quote.
3. I convo them back with an "Awesome! Lets do it! I'll send the stone/s right away!"
4. They receive the stone/s and give me a deadline as to when work will be completed. On around 12 projects they have missed ONE deadline--my breast cancer ring and it was the fault of their casting company, whose casting machine broke down. I was kept abreast of the situation the entire time and convoed immediately as soon as they had an update OR just to tell me they were waiting still.
Early on the deadline for custom projects was 2 weeks, now it has stretched to one month.
4a. They post a listing with 50% down.
4b. They send me back a CAD rendering if what I'm after is a more complex design.
4c. I give the OK or we make tweaks. (For the record they always ask me if there is something I want done differently, and to date I have never changed a thing.)
5. They produce it and send me a few pictures via convo to make sure everything is perfect and to my standards before posting it on their etsy site.
6. It is posted with 5 pictures (several MACRO pictures), I pay for it, they mail it out.
7. I receive it, take pictures for PSers, post feedback to their etsy site and post a thread here. This happens maybe a month and a week after the initial "I'm sending you the stones!" convo.
8. If there is something wrong in person, convo them about specifics, ship it back.
9. They adjust the issue, take more pics, convo you, ship it back to you.

With JKT the process looks more like this (I have only been through it once and it was a bit different, so this is overly simplified):

1. Pay a $100 deposit for her time in 6-12 months. This is NOT ensuring that your piece will be done then, just that you are buying her time around then.
2. She contacts you when your time comes up 6-12 months later.
3. Go over design elements, talk about stones, etc. Seems as though this part can take several days, if not weeks.
4. Send out stones.
5. JKT starts work on the project. Whether that means updated sketches, pictures, whatever. I believe this is where she gives a cost estimate.
6. Pay at least 50% down, using the deposit as the initial $100.
7. JKT sends you pictures of the work in progress.
8. JKT sends you pictures of the final work and posts it to etsy (providing the use of etsy for this custom project.)
9. You pay for it, she ships it out.
10. Receive it, take pics, post to PS, etc.
11. If there is an issue, then what? Too bad, so sad?

This interlude with Burberrygirl is one reason I have not wanted to post my JKT story. I don't CARE how many projects she has done perfectly and to everyone's liking. My experience is MY experience. AJ's experience is AJ's experience. BE GRATEFUL THEY WEREN'T YOUR EXPERIENCES.

I can understand defending a vendor, but this snotty tone of "Well YOU read and agreed to the policies, its your fault if you don't like what you got." is uncalled for. Since when has PS been about telling the customer they are wrong?!

FYI. Now when you google "Julia Kay Taylor", Pricescope is the 5th link down, and this thread is the very top sub-link.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

icekid|1306593308|2932400 said:
From following JKT's site, I think she's gone quickly from an "artisan" to the queen of fine print. This is taken off her website:

Did anyone else catch this one? She is not liable if she LOSES YOUR STONE while in her possession. Seriously! No way, no how, never ever. Frankly, her policies make her sound like a paranoid nutjob or else a rather unsavory type of character.

AJ- Sorry that you are going through this! :nono: I am disgusted and heart broken for you, over what was clearly a sentimental and expensive piece.

As far as I'm aware, all jewellers big and small who accept client's stones for setting have to have insurance (obligatory) to cover for such things as theft or loss
(damage and shipping being different matters). Can anyone weigh in who has more concrete info here, perhaps if insurance for theft etc is a commercial responsibility?

I do not think that is a standard or normal policy by any stretch - and had I been aware of it, I don't believe I would have agreed to it either.

thanks Icekid for your thoughts lovey.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Also, here are her policies from juliakaytaylor.com in full:

Image Copyright and Email Policies

General Philosophy: I believe it is important to create a ‘sacred space’ of mutual trust, discretion and comfort when discussing or entering into a project with a client. This is highly conducive to the creative process and overall enjoyment of the experience for both client and artist. The two policies stated below are integral components of this reciprocated respect for privacy and intellectual property.

*All images that appear on my website or that are emailed to clients or potential clients including design sketches, finished jewelry photographs, "in progress" photographs and gemstone photographs are copyrighted and may not be reproduced, forwarded or posted publicly to the internet without permission from Julia Kay Taylor.

*Emails between Julia Kay Taylor and clients or potential clients are considered Private Correspondence. Email contents or portions of emails may not be copied, forwarded or posted publicly to the internet without permission from Julia Kay Taylor.

Thank you.

Payments

* Payments are accepted through PayPal or by check. Total balance due for purchased items must be received within 2 days of purchase, unless otherwise arranged by contacting me and stating your request for an extension. Items will not be shipped until payment is received.

Custom

*There is a $300.00 minimum for any custom order. Payment arrangements can be made by contacting me for a payment schedule. Typical custom payment arrangements are: Half of total including shipping charges due before work begins, the balance due when the piece is complete.

*Custom orders may not be canceled or returned, so please be sure of your order before it is placed.

*Design Deposits: There is a $100.00 deposit (per piece) required to reserve design time. This deposit is credited to the final balance, but is non-refundable should the client decide to cancel. Please be sure of intent to purchase before requesting design time.

**Instructions for clients sending loose stones**
USPS is my preferred carrier. I would recommend their Priority or Express services with insurance and signature confirmation .
Stones should be secured in a gem box, or other container that insures they will not move around during shipping.
If sending multiple stones, each should be in a separate container. Gem boxes should be placed inside a small shipping box, NOT a padded envelope.
Be sure to place sufficient packing material around the gem boxes, and/or tape them to the inside of the box.
Include a copy of 'To and From' addresses inside of the box with the materials, as well as a copy of your original purchase receipt if available.
Please notify me with a tracking number when the stone has been shipped.

*All designs and photographs are copyrighted and remain the sole property of Julia Kay Taylor. Please request permission before distributing, displaying, or otherwise using images and drawings provided by me during our transaction.

*Images of, or detailed design requests describing another artist's or jewelry vendor's product will not be accepted as "inspiration" reference for a custom request.

Shipping

*Shipping For pre-made items will be within 4-7 days after purchase. For items that are stated, 'Made to order' in the item description, delivery will be within 4-6 weeks after purchase.

*Packages will be shipped via USPS Priority or Express, unless otherwise arranged by contacting me and stating your request. (Outside of the US, buyer will be responsible for all customs fees.)

Returns

*Returns will be accepted for repair or replacement only. Buyer must notify me within 2 days of receipt of item of any issue in this regard.

*Refunds will not be given due to damage or loss during shipping.

*Custom jewelry is non returnable/refundable.

Tax

*Arizona residents will pay a tax of 5.6% on all purchases.

*International customers are responsible for all duties and taxes on exports.

**Julia Kay Taylor reserves the right to discontinue services at any point during a transaction if conditions of coercion are employed by a client covertly or otherwise, or upon being provided with false information that could result in a violation of state, federal or international laws.

**By entering this site or placing an order you have agreed to all policies stated herein.

© 2010 Julia Kay Taylor

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Freke - perhaps you have bigger kahunas than me after all :rodent:
I had wanted to express the same feeling - everyone is an adamant fan of any vendor, until something (hopefully not!!!) goes awry with one of their projects....Leon comes to mind here..

I *sincerely* hope that no current or future clients of JKT ever have such odd issues with their custom pieces or the customer service they receive, such as what I (or Freke) have experienced. I would not wish my current situation on my most disliked PS member ;))
I can assure people I certainly do not have the time, energy or motivation in my life at the moment to devote to this process - however, the amount of money invested is not an acceptable figure for me to relinquish without at least an effort for a workable solution.

This thread IS NOT in any way, shape or form, intended as an attack on JKT or her business or her clients. It was started and remains as a method to receive a resolution from a vendor who had ignored all my previous efforts to contact them. This is a practice that has often been turned to on PS, and very often much sooner in the 'negotiation' process than when I left mine to.

I do not have provenance over what others wish to say or post in this thread or elsewhere about JKT's business practices, and I welcome all posts and opinions - dissenting ones included. I have never attempted to edit or control the content of my threads on PS. Burberry is free to write her opinions, as are members which disagree with her stance.
I would like to reiterate that Julia has been given the offer, in writing, to have this thread taken down - and up to this point, has declined.

**I will repeat that my sole and only priority in this whole effort is to receive a satisfactory end result to this issue with my bracelet from JKT.
As such, I feel it may be wisest for me to take a step back from posting in this thread, as I do not wish to further inflame what are already shaky relations between myself and my vendor.**

I will continue to read, of course, and thank posters for their contributions.
cheers again to all of those who have offered their support, it has been appreciated for sure ::)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

arjunajane|1306597170|2932446 said:
Freke - perhaps you have bigger kahunas than me after all :rodent:
I'm blaming pregnancy hormones.

Also, this better not mean that you're going away for good again. That. was. NOT. COOL. :wacko:

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AJ, I don't see why you need to explain your motives here. You posted a thread detailing YOUR PERSONAL experience with Julia Kay Taylor, and you have all the right to do so.

And for what it's worth, your account (as well as Freke's) has definitely put me off JKT. She should consider updating her policies to be more accommodating to her clients, or she risks losing business.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AJ - I think you've posted with appropriate discretion throughout this thread. I hope things get resolved in such a way that you will be able to wear your bracelet, with your gemstones and that beautiful design, without negativity.

For me what stands out about what you've written is that your "inspiration bracelet" and the initial sketches were in the traditional orientation, with the focal point on the smooth side of the oval. That orientation was changed without consulting you and without your agreement. It's comparable to asking a tailor to make you a jacket and ending up with a cape, or asking a builder for a 4br/2b home and getting two 2br/1b duplexes. Arguably usable, but not what you agreed to. I'm not an attorney and my thoughts are based just on what you've posted here, but... to me that change goes well beyond "the creative process" and would nullify whatever agreement you had with Julia.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild|1306595776|2932427 said:
Since when has PS been about telling the customer they are wrong?!

I agree with you, Freke, but unfortunately I have seen this on PS before when it comes to certain much loved/popular vendors.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock

arjunajane|1306587981|2932356 said:

Burberry -

Hi Aj,

I probably should have left out the first line. I didn’t really intend to post about your situation. A lot of people have already said things I agree with and I didn’t feel as though I could add anything to that part of the discussion. I was really only trying to address the policies. I’ve done a decent amount of custom projects in the last couple years and I don’t completely understand the reaction many had to some of her policies. I have no idea what the coercion policy is about, but I can understand the policies on custom orders.

I totally agree with you about the wait and design change. Those things definitely shouldn’t have happened. I also understand why you wouldn’t look at her policies after doing two projects with her. I absolutely think she should try to make her customers aware of policy changes. I think it would suck to see other people jump ahead of you in the schedule. I honestly agree with a lot of what you’ve said. I absolutely do not believe that Julia can do no wrong. That would be ridiculous. Like I said, I really didn’t feel as though I had anything to add to the discussion because I agreed with a lot of what has been said. I guess I didn’t succinctly express my thoughts.

I really hope I didn’t offend or upset you or Freke. I’m truly sorry if I did. I also apologize if I sounded overly harsh. I have always struggled to express myself properly on PS. I can never seem to say exactly what I mean and end up unintentionally making people angry or hurting their feelings. I’m also sorry that you and Freke had unpleasant and unsatisfactory experiences with her. No one wants to invest time and money into a project and be left with something flawed and unwearable.

I know others suggested you have a round bottom piece made for your bracelet. Would it be possible to do more of an oval (on its side like e-w) shape. That way the bracelet wouldn’t spin as much and you wouldn’t have to worry about your stones being damaged. I don’t know if that would work, but it’s just a thought.

Best of luck to you and Freke. I hope the bracelet and key can be fixed so you’re both able to enjoy them.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock

I didn't want to quote all of what Indylady, AJ, Freke and I said because it would take up a lot of space. I just quoted the parts I'm going to address.
FrekeChild|1306595776|2932427 said:
This interlude with Burberrygirl is one reason I have not wanted to post my JKT story. I don't CARE how many projects she has done perfectly and to everyone's liking. My experience is MY experience. AJ's experience is AJ's experience. BE GRATEFUL THEY WEREN'T YOUR EXPERIENCES.

I can understand defending a vendor, but this snotty tone of "Well YOU read and agreed to the policies, its your fault if you don't like what you got." is uncalled for. Since when has PS been about telling the customer they are wrong?!

FYI. Now when you google "Julia Kay Taylor", Pricescope is the 5th link down, and this thread is the very top sub-link.
Freke,

I'm hoping you'll read my post to AJ. Again, I truly did not mean to hurt or offend either of you. I certainly didn't mean to question your experience. I am sorry you and AJ had bad experiences with Julia and I hope your pieces can be fixed. I’m also sorry if I sounded harsh or snotty as you said. I did not mean to insult AJ and I’ve already admitted I shouldn’t have said “I'm not saying I totally agree with Julia's policies, but AJ agreed to them when she ordered the custom piece.” Your interpretation of what I wrote was not what I meant. I am not great at expressing myself on PS. I didn’t mean to go after anyone, and I’m sad you feel that way.

Below is what I originally wrote to you in your thread. I thought I’d include it because it addresses some of what you brought up.
Burberrygirl|1306301810|2929714 said:
Hi Freke. :wavey:

I saw your post about the baby in CS, congrats!

I've always thought your key was really beautiful and I'm sorry it didn't turn out as it should have. That must be really disappointing. I was wondering if you let Julia know your problems with the key?

I've done three projects with Julia and I've been thrilled with her work every time. She's been super busy ever since I've known her. I honestly think that no one is perfect and some mistakes have been made. Julia actually reminds me a lot of my dad, he is super busy with his small business and works pretty much non stop. He often takes on too much and that's when things start to suffer whether it has to do with work or his personal life. Inevitably, things are bound to fall through the cracks. I understand that is sucks when your project was the one to fall through the cracks. I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone. I guess I'm just explaining what I think happened (I did two projects with her around the same time as yours, but I could be wrong). I completely understand that some people don't give a sh-- whats going on, they just want their project done right and on time. I can't say I blame those people either.

I have always known you to be really nice and helpful on PS--I really am sorry about your key. This situation also makes me sad because I know Julia and she is such a sweet person. I guess its also good that you started this thread because I think it can be helpful to the people involved. It will probably also be helpful to people doing custom projects in the future too. Custom projects can be very time-consuming and challenging.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

You know, regarding the timeline, I have to say that both Daniel M and Sally are both spot-on with their estimates. I don't recall if Julia was on schedule with my pieces or not, but I don't remember it bothering me if she wasn't, so I think she was close. I've worked with some other artisans who are WAY off with their timelines, like by months...and it annoyed the crap out of me.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Hi Burberry,

Thank you for your post and for clarifying your earlier comments. I really appreciate that you were sensitive enough to offer your apology, which I sincere appreciate.

No harm, no foul, I've always appreciated your posts on PS and seeing your lovely pieces, your JKT ones included :wavey:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

When I was thinking of using James Meyer, one of my first questions was insurance on the stone while in his possession. He assured me it was, and it would have been something I would have wanted in writing if I had gone with him.

I don't know if it's standard or what, but I would never go with a vendor who told me it was too bad so sad for a stone lost while it was in her shop to be worked on. NO. WAY.

I would have probably never used JKT anyway, but that would do for it me. Nope, no thanks. I'll stick with Leon, who seems like a nice guy. :devil:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh, and the whole, "I know so and so and she is so nice" drives me nuts. Most people are nice to some, not nice to others, dependingon the situation. I'm an angel to most but snarky to others depending on my patience level for that person. NO ONE is *just* nice or *just* an assh*le.

If you worked with someone and had a great experience...good for you, because that person was simply NICE. TO. YOU.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

kama_s|1306597429|2932450 said:
AJ, I don't see why you need to explain your motives here. You posted a thread detailing YOUR PERSONAL experience with Julia Kay Taylor, and you have all the right to do so.

And for what it's worth, your account (as well as Freke's) has definitely put me off JKT. She should consider updating her policies to be more accommodating to her clients, or she risks losing business.

Thanks Kama for your support. I guess I just felt the thread was getting a bit heated, and my intention was never to 'hurt' Julia's business - there is genuinely not a malicious bone in my body.
I just thought I would reiterate my motivations, for anyone starting to read on pages 3 and 4, kwim?
I do agree and hope that JKT considers some of the consumer feedback here about her more difficult policies.

VRBeauty said:
AJ - I think you've posted with appropriate discretion throughout this thread. I hope things get resolved in such a way that you will be able to wear your bracelet, with your gemstones and that beautiful design, without negativity.

For me what stands out about what you've written is that your "inspiration bracelet" and the initial sketches were in the traditional orientation, with the focal point on the smooth side of the oval. That orientation was changed without consulting you and without your agreement. It's comparable to asking a tailor to make you a jacket and ending up with a cape, or asking a builder for a 4br/2b home and getting two 2br/1b duplexes. Arguably usable, but not what you agreed to. I'm not an attorney and my thoughts are based just on what you've posted here, but... to me that change goes well beyond "the creative process" and would nullify whatever agreement you had with Julia.

Thank you VR, I appreciate your comments. I know people have only heard my side of the story, and for that reason I have ensured I remained as non-emotional and factual as possible in my posts.
Your analogy certainly makes sense in this case. I have done many custom projects, both handmade and CAD, with a variety of vendors - both internet and in person. This is the only piece I've ever been dissatisfied with. I understand both the limitations and the 'artistic licence' that is required with handmade pieces, and do not consider myself a micro-manager by any stretch. As we judge vendors on whether they are good to work with, I am confident my previous vendors would claim I am a good client to work with ::)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal|1306644086|2932943 said:
Oh, and the whole, "I know so and so and she is so nice" drives me nuts. Most people are nice to some, not nice to others, dependingon the situation. I'm an angel to most but snarky to others depending on my patience level for that person. NO ONE is *just* nice or *just* an assh*le.

If you worked with someone and had a great experience...good for you, because that person was simply NICE. TO. YOU.

well said Tgal.

I have learnt from this experience, and I know it will modify my posting in future if a member has a complaint about a vendor that was 'nice' to me. Each transaction is unique, with its own personalities, pressures and outcomes, be they a positive or negative of ingredients.
I know my posting style about JKT in the past could be quite defensive, so this thread has caused some self reflection for sure.

I think from now on I'll stick to my lil shop with my guy in NZ who does incredible work and purposefully keeps a small clientele, thank you ;))

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I am beyond happy to post that Julia and I are now well on our way to reaching an agreed remedy about the bracelet :appl:

Last night I sent Julia a number of photos demonstrating the issues as outlined & described in this thread, and to her credit she had replied within a couple of hours, offering two choices of remedy which I consider to be fair and reasonable.

I am currently taking my time to consider my options, but will certainly update again when there is an agreement in place.

I would like to sincerely thank my mate who originally urged me to pursue this matter, when I was putting it off for a want of avoiding the confrontation and stress; and of course to thank the many members who have posted their support, understanding and suggestions for a solution.
It is lovely to know one can go on hiatus from PS for a while, and come back to the same great network of understanding, supportive and like-minded people who have the consumers' protection and best interests at their core.

many thanks to all who have posted, and kudos to Julia Kay Taylor for offering a professional and fair resolution to a project which had great potential, but unfortunately did not reach its desired outcome.
:appl: :appl:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Glad to hear of a resolution!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Excellent AJ, hope you're satisfy with the outcome! Can't comment much at the moment but will after my projects are finished. Hope to see you in CS sometime, a lot of my favourite posters aren't posting there much anymore!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

YAY! I'm glad you were able to work something out. Persistence and communication are paying off in the end. Please show us pictures of the final product once it's finished being revised!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's terrific news! :appl:

I'm looking forward to seeing some arm shots!

ETA one more thought - as you ponder your options - some of my favorite bracelets are open-backed cuff-style bracelets. If it's an option, that style might give you the push-up-ability you're looking for. A properly shaped and fitted open-back cuff will fit snugly where you'd like it, about 1/3 of the way up the forearm, while the open back allows room for your muscles to flex and change shape as you use your arm and hand.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

VRBeauty|1306683043|2933127 said:
That's terrific news! :appl:

I'm looking forward to seeing some arm shots!

Thats wonderful!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Now promise you won't disappear on us again!!! We MISSED you!!!!!! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results