carat
color
clarity

vent/request for advice-real problems with JKT custom piece

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Re: vent/request for advice-real problems with JKT custom pi

Imdanny|1312369471|2982976 said:
I've read this entire thread so having invested the time in it, I'd like to say that the violation of the client's privacy, IMHO, may not speak to the vendor's normal business practices, but does speak to the vendor's character. Unacceptable, not to mention the absurd mistake of the misshapen bracelet, ridiculous 'timeline,' and the recurring lack of timely and appropriate communication. PS educates consumers. I now feel well enough educated about the vendor. What a hassle. OP, I'm sorry you had to go through this, and good for you for speaking up about it and receiving the refund you deserved.

I totally agree with Danny.

Thanks for letting us know how this saga ended - it definitely cemented the fact that JKT is not somebody I want to do business with.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

I am glad you finally got a refund. What an ordeal you have been through. I really admire your patience in this long process. When one of my custom projects went awry not long ago, I became restless. :oops: I can only imagine how upset you were.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP - thank you for updating this thread - I have been following it all along and have been quite perturbed by your experience.

I have had several projects with JKT and have been very well pleased with the resulting pieces and the customer service. And I have deposits down for future projects. Despite your thread and another similar thread, I had intended to go forward with the projects, having concluded that sometimes projects/communications can go awry in a bad way yet be singular-type incidents unlikely to reoccur without the same surrounding facts and circumstances.

But now reading about that email JKT sent to RDG regarding the status of your refund... I think Danny nailed it when he described it as speaking to the vendor's character. That contact was unprofessional, inappropriate, and unnecessary. Once JKT confirmed receipt and acceptance of the bracelet forwarded by RDG after removal of the stones, she had no business whatsoever contacting RDG with respect to you, your refund, or your past or current or pending projects. Honestly, I am stunned and shocked at the communication -- it is such an enormous breach of privacy, and incredibly unprofessional - there is just no rationale for it.

Although it pains me that I will lose my deposits, based on these recent developments, I have lost faith in the professionalism and integrity of this particular vendor and will not support the business of one who betrays the privacy of customers.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. (And I so look forward to your threads on this new RDG project!)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

princesss|1312383429|2983088 said:
Imdanny|1312369471|2982976 said:
I've read this entire thread so having invested the time in it, I'd like to say that the violation of the client's privacy, IMHO, may not speak to the vendor's normal business practices, but does speak to the vendor's character. Unacceptable, not to mention the absurd mistake of the misshapen bracelet, ridiculous 'timeline,' and the recurring lack of timely and appropriate communication. PS educates consumers. I now feel well enough educated about the vendor. What a hassle. OP, I'm sorry you had to go through this, and good for you for speaking up about it and receiving the refund you deserved.

I totally agree with Danny.

Thanks for letting us know how this saga ended - it definitely cemented the fact that JKT is not somebody I want to do business with.

I have to agree with this as well - unprofessional is truly the only word for that misguided email to RDG. The implication that your credibility is questionable is distastefully clear.

AJ I can imagine how difficult it was to post this thread, and then to update it, but thank you for doing so. Perhaps JKT has also learnt from this experience.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock

Thank you so much for updating the thread. I am very happy you received your refund and I hope you can move on with your gorgeous stones and have another vendor create something outstanding (and wearable!) for you.

I can tell you howeer, I will never commission JKT for a piece, ever - custom or not.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock

I rather hope she's reading this and realizes what business she's lost.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock

Yikes. I'm glad you got your refund, and am also glad that this cautionary tale will save others from your fate. And maybe, just maybe, help the vendor improve?

I can only guess that her decision to email your kind jeweler was to get the emotional satisfaction of implying that you were such a "problem client" that you had probably not paid him.

juliakaytaylor

Rough_Rock
Trade

I have not "debated" the circumstances of this transaction previously on this thread because for me to fairly do so would require publicly relating personal information and experiences with a client . Even under the sometimes challenging circumstances this seemed highly inappropriate and unnecessary to resolving the issue at hand. In regards to this latest "email issue", it is sad that such negative conclusions would be jumped to regarding my character and intentions. I received an email directly from the jeweler who removed Arjunajane"s gemstones many days after I had already notified her that the bracelet was in good condition and her refund was forthcoming. Since the jeweler's email inquired about the status of the refund, I assumed he was financially invested in the completion of my end of the agreement as well. The email notifying the jeweler of completion of the refund was sent as a courtesy and from a place of feeling responsible for delaying payment to a third party, not with malice or to imply anything about Arjunajane as a customer. The assumption that the jeweler was waiting for me to come through with the refund was obviously wrong. My apologies to both parties for any misunderstanding or feelings of privacy violation.

Julia

iugurl

Shiny_Rock

juliakaytaylor|1312494065|2984346 said:
Since the jeweler's email inquired about the status of the refund, I assumed he was financially invested in the completion of my end of the agreement as well. The email notifying the jeweler of completion of the refund was sent as a courtesy and from a place of feeling responsible for delaying payment to a third party, not with malice or to imply anything about Arjunajane as a customer.

Even with your explanation, I still don't understand why you would email the jeweler. I can see no other reason, but to "tattle" to the jeweler that you gave the refund, and if he wasn't paid, it wasn't your fault. With that reason, it would seem to be that you thought arjunajane had not paid her jeweler. Even if his payment was waiting on your refund (Why did you assume that? She clearly paid you on time, in fact a large portion in advance), it was not your place to tell him!

I am not trying to argue. :cheeky: I don't even need/want/expect a reply.I am simply an uninvolved (except for reading this thread!), unbiased person who doesn't quite understand your previous actions!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Just so that everything is out in the open, this is the email verbatim that Mike R sent to JKT:

"Hi Julia,
I'm sure by now you should have received the package I sent you with a hinged bangle in it belonging to AJ.

I tried my hardest to take the gems out as best I could while protecting your bangle as I could see it must have involved a lot of work. I really hope you were happy with the way I returned the bangle and all was fine to proceed with the refund to Miss AJ.

All the best, Mike."

and Julia's reply:

"Hello Mike,
Yes, the bracelet was received on July 7 and AJ was notified the same day that it arrived undamaged and in appropriate condition to receive her full refund. If you are awaiting payment from her for services rendered, be aware that the full refund agreement stated repayment within 30 days of receipt of the package (no later than August 5).

The damage to the bezels was expected and I appreciate the care taken to protect the rest of the piece. In my opinion, the method of removal used was the quickest and safest way to extract the gems and I would have done the same under the circumstances. This piece was originally completed and shipped 8 months ago, so receiving it even without the lovely stones in place, felt a little like having a child come home and I was very pleased it was in good condition.

Thanks for your respectful treatment of the bracelet as well as the expedient shipping.

Best,
Julia"

Julia, I appreciate your apology on this thread. Sending it to me personally may have been perhaps more appropriate.

Mike was emailing you to advocate on my behalf, as you had taken to again ignoring my communications.
Hence, this situation with the 'email confusion' would have been avoided had you taken one minute to reply to your clients' emails, not just your client's new jeweller.

And no, I absolutely do not agree with posting other people's emails online without their permission (of course Mike has given me his permission) - I can see there's somewhat of a level of irony in this.
However, I feel in this case there is way too much 'he said, she said' involved, and only facts can be relied on.

eta: whoops! edited to take out my full name :rolleyes: Anyone who saw that...umm, yeah - "you do not know my full name" (swipes hand as if using the force). :bigsmile:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

marymm|1312392687|2983218 said:
OP - thank you for updating this thread - I have been following it all along and have been quite perturbed by your experience.

I have had several projects with JKT and have been very well pleased with the resulting pieces and the customer service. And I have deposits down for future projects. Despite your thread and another similar thread, I had intended to go forward with the projects, having concluded that sometimes projects/communications can go awry in a bad way yet be singular-type incidents unlikely to reoccur without the same surrounding facts and circumstances.

But now reading about that email JKT sent to RDG regarding the status of your refund... I think Danny nailed it when he described it as speaking to the vendor's character. That contact was unprofessional, inappropriate, and unnecessary. Once JKT confirmed receipt and acceptance of the bracelet forwarded by RDG after removal of the stones, she had no business whatsoever contacting RDG with respect to you, your refund, or your past or current or pending projects. Honestly, I am stunned and shocked at the communication -- it is such an enormous breach of privacy, and incredibly unprofessional - there is just no rationale for it.

Although it pains me that I will lose my deposits, based on these recent developments, I have lost faith in the professionalism and integrity of this particular vendor and will not support the business of one who betrays the privacy of customers.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. (And I so look forward to your threads on this new RDG project!)

Hi mary,

I would just like to say, that despite all of the hassle, time lost and poor personal treatment of this experience, I do not in any way wish JKT or her business any ill will. I guess revenge, or holding grudges, is not in my personality. I am by no means a push over, but I also prefer to walk away from long-term conflict rather than to encourage it in my general life.

This thread was started for one primary reason - to use 'the power of PS' so as I could access a fair resolution from a non-communicative and non-cooperative vendor. As the thread developed the way it did, it quickly served this primary purpose.
And via the discussion that developed, a secondary purpose (or theme) also became apparent - that often we as clients accept biased or unfair policies under custom jewellery agreements, because we are caught up with working with that particular vendor - and that when things sour in an otherwise positive relationship, there is sometimes nothing officially to protect you as a consumer of often very highly priced goods. This area is where the actual jeweller's behaviour, standards and morals as an individual come into play - and none of us can really know these things by reading websites or PS reviews.

With todays' modern communications, we all feel very close. However, being in Australia vs the US, it quickly became apparent to me that once a vendor chose to ignore my emails and my voicemails, apart from heading to PS, there was not much else I could do.

And so, I wanted this to be a cautionary exercise for the many others engaging custom jewellers, often from far off countries.
Just to ensure that you have some level of protection - "trust, but verify", as they like to say over in Coloured Stones!

If you Mary have really enjoyed working with JKT so far and have actual deposits (that I am sure are not small) on actual projects, I would not encourage you to cancel them.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Glad you received your refund AJ.

I also had bad experience with JKT, so yours and FC's experiences weren't unique.

I received a refund, even for the item I was happy with, and I bought a necklace especially to go with the new pendant, and have shown it to JKT, but I don't get to keep it since i was unhappy with the other project, and questioned her ability. It was expensive and was going to have 70% of the details removed becaused JKT realised she can't make it like that, after assuring me she could before I agreed to the quote.

If everything goes well it's smooth sailing, else buyers beware.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock

Lovinggems|1312536862|2984687 said:

I also had bad experience with JKT, so yours and FC's experiences weren't unique.

I received a refund, even for the item I was happy with, and I bought a necklace especially to go with the new pendant, and have shown it to JKT, but I don't get to keep it since i was unhappy with the other project, and questioned her ability. It was expensive and was going to have 70% of the details removed becaused JKT realised she can't make it like that, after assuring me she could before I agreed to the quote.

In other words...only order custom pieces that are easy without a lot of detail, and if you complain, then send EVERYTHING back. Wow. Hello, childish vendor!

The amount of things coming to the surface because of this thread (good job, AJ, I'm glad!) is astounding. JKT certainly won't be getting any business of mine...even if I had money :tongue:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

arjunajane|1312525981|2984665 said:

Hi mary,

I would just like to say, that despite all of the hassle, time lost and poor personal treatment of this experience, I do not in any way wish JKT or her business any ill will. I guess revenge, or holding grudges, is not in my personality. I am by no means a push over, but I also prefer to walk away from long-term conflict rather than to encourage it in my general life.

This thread was started for one primary reason - to use 'the power of PS' so as I could access a fair resolution from a non-communicative and non-cooperative vendor. As the thread developed the way it did, it quickly served this primary purpose.
And via the discussion that developed, a secondary purpose (or theme) also became apparent - that often we as clients accept biased or unfair policies under custom jewellery agreements, because we are caught up with working with that particular vendor - and that when things sour in an otherwise positive relationship, there is sometimes nothing officially to protect you as a consumer of often very highly priced goods. This area is where the actual jeweller's behaviour, standards and morals as an individual come into play - and none of us can really know these things by reading websites or PS reviews.

With todays' modern communications, we all feel very close. However, being in Australia vs the US, it quickly became apparent to me that once a vendor chose to ignore my emails and my voicemails, apart from heading to PS, there was not much else I could do.

And so, I wanted this to be a cautionary exercise for the many others engaging custom jewellers, often from far off countries.
Just to ensure that you have some level of protection - "trust, but verify", as they like to say over in Coloured Stones!

If you Mary have really enjoyed working with JKT so far and have actual deposits (that I am sure are not small) on actual projects, I would not encourage you to cancel them.

Hi AJ -
While it is true I had enjoyed working with JKT and treasure the pieces she created for me, I have a greater interest in feeling secure that my transactions and financial arrangements remain private and confidential. A vendor that discloses information to a third party that I consider to be confidential in nature is not practicing the kind of ethics I require in vendors. Even had RDG specifically emailed JKT asking if you had received your refund, JKT's only option as a professional (in my view) would be to reply to RDG (and cc you) that such information was confidential and could only be revealed by you (the customer). JKT's explanation she was being courteous to RDG, or thought RDG's payment from you was contingent on your receipt of the refund from JKT, only makes it clear to me that we do not share the same definition of ethical business practices. Based on my positive history with JKT I would not anticipate problems arising between us with respect to jewelry purchases, but I would venture to guess you also did not anticipate what transpired between you two. I would be foolish to continue dealing with a vendor who has definitively breached a client's privacy by revealing information to a third-party. The loss of deposits is minor compared to how I would feel if my personal information was sent to a third party (even another vendor in which I place trust). All the best. - marymm

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

LG, I am sorry to hear of your experience too.
That really is a shame that she insisted you send back the piece you were happy with, although I can't say I'm surprised.

I can understand the connection between an artistic jeweller and their work, however I learned from my experience that JKT takes any hint of criticism about her products as if it were criticism of herself personally. Or perhaps of her 'children', considering this is how she often refers to her pieces.
I don't think this level of attachment and defensiveness is in the client's interests, as shown in your case.

I discussed this concept (as an abstract one, mind you), with Mike R - and he said that of course there are sometimes pieces you are sad to see leave the shop after all the time and work you invest in them. But ultimately, they are made with the individual client's style and personality etc in mind, and he is happy when he knows they are going where they will be taken care of and appreciated. I think this is a more realistic outlook to doing business in this field of handmade custom jewels.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

marymm|1312567505|2984919 said:
arjunajane|1312525981|2984665 said:

Hi mary,

Hi AJ -
While it is true I had enjoyed working with JKT and treasure the pieces she created for me, I have a greater interest in feeling secure that my transactions and financial arrangements remain private and confidential. A vendor that discloses information to a third party that I consider to be confidential in nature is not practicing the kind of ethics I require in vendors. Even had RDG specifically emailed JKT asking if you had received your refund, JKT's only option as a professional (in my view) would be to reply to RDG (and cc you) that such information was confidential and could only be revealed by you (the customer). JKT's explanation she was being courteous to RDG, or thought RDG's payment from you was contingent on your receipt of the refund from JKT, only makes it clear to me that we do not share the same definition of ethical business practices. Based on my positive history with JKT I would not anticipate problems arising between us with respect to jewelry purchases, but I would venture to guess you also did not anticipate what transpired between you two. I would be foolish to continue dealing with a vendor who has definitively breached a client's privacy by revealing information to a third-party. The loss of deposits is minor compared to how I would feel if my personal information was sent to a third party (even another vendor in which I place trust). All the best. - marymm

Hi mary,
it sounds like you have really thought this through in alliance with your personal values and views, and I respect your point of view 100%.
I just wanted to ensure I wasn't causing anyone to make a rash decision that would cause them financial loss - but its clear you have given this a lot of thought.
And what you are saying does ring true - if someone had given me a 'crystal ball' many months back, I certainly would have preferred to cancel and lose my deposit.

I wish you all the best with any future projects ::)

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Although I haven't previously posted on this thread, I've followed it. Just wanted to say to AJ that I'm so glad you got your money back, despite the lost time and energy. It was the best outcome possible, considering how much of it was out of your control. Artists do not always have the best business skills, interpersonal skills, etc. I understand that. But as consumers, we have the power of choice. It can be a sharp learning curve both ways, but with reviews, forums, and first hand experiences like this, we can make really informed decisions. AJ, I respect that you haven't tried to detract from JKT's other work or discourage people from going to her for custom projects. With so many other options though, I would prefer someone who stays cool under pressure and maintains their professionalism throughout the entire transaction. Thank goodness this is over for you!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

I've been reading this... I think it's unfortunate that this particular lesson is on such a large scale. I think it's good to have these details out so that consumers can make wise choices, but I think it's also good for the vendor to learn from the results of their choices too.

I think the reason it may seem like a bit of a bandwagon is that I think a lot of us swallow our disappointments with those we work with and things that happen because we DON'T want to hurt their business. I know it took months before AJ brought this to the forum, and I bet the reason is that she didn't want to have a negative impact on JKTs business. But at a point if you aren't done right...

I admire that you stood up for yourself. I wish I had done a better job of that a few years ago. I think I worried about protecting the vendor more than protecting myself.

I hope that JKT can bounce back from this with a better understanding of how things could have been handled differently to a mutually beneficial outcome. Maybe vendors get used to us sucking it up.

And I think the great moral of this story is that communication is best when it is done directly between the two main parties, but if one of them removes themselves from that communication, the result is that people seek support elsewhere.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

arjunajane|1312603451|2985259 said:

LG, I am sorry to hear of your experience too.
That really is a shame that she insisted you send back the piece you were happy with, although I can't say I'm surprised.

I can understand the connection between an artistic jeweller and their work, however I learned from my experience that JKT takes any hint of criticism about her products as if it were criticism of herself personally. Or perhaps of her 'children', considering this is how she often refers to her pieces.
I don't think this level of attachment and defensiveness is in the client's interests, as shown in your case.

I discussed this concept (as an abstract one, mind you), with Mike R - and he said that of course there are sometimes pieces you are sad to see leave the shop after all the time and work you invest in them. But ultimately, they are made with the individual client's style and personality etc in mind, and he is happy when he knows they are going where they will be taken care of and appreciated. I think this is a more realistic outlook to doing business in this field of handmade custom jewels.

I'm happy that it didn't work out, if I had known about your experience I would cancelled my projects. Unfortunately my projects were already in motion before you posted.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Hey LG - I didn't want to interrupt Lavatea's thread any further, so I hope you don't mind, I've copied your posts over to mine here:

Lovinggems|1313321615|2990526 said:
lavatera|1313308061|2990485 said:
Loving Gems|1313289344|2990377 said:
minmin001|1313257748|2990117 said:
oh dear, it's beautiful! :love: do you mind telling me how much did it cost to get it made by JKT? I'm thinking about doing my first color stone project with her as well and would love to have an idea of the price first~

Mini001, my ring was going to be very similar to Lavatea's, except with intricate leaf details in between the bridges. The price quoted was near $2000 for 18k gold. After JKT found out she can't work the details in between the bridge, she expected that I will accept the same quote for a ring that'll essentially look like Lavatea's in construction. So between 18k gold and silver with gold details, there's a huge difference in price.

Congratulations on your graduation Lavatea.

That's ridiculous. You wouldn't have expected her to stick with a low quote after adding some detail to the design, so why would she expect the reverse of you? Is there anyway that was a miscommunication??

We actually talked about making this ring in all 18k, but it would have been between 800-900 IIRC. Out of my budget, but definitely not in the 2K range!

No, my ring was half done so I already paid half of the fees, when JKT emailed she can't put those details in, of course I wasn't going to accept that. She decided to refund both of my projects instead of coming up with a resolution. The other project (a pendant) is already done and I bought a necklace (not very expensive but still a good amount of money, $600 or so) to go with it, I also showed her the necklace during the project phase.

I let her took full reins on the ring project, she came up with two or so ideas, I mentioned they're both nice, then she merged the two together. It would have been lovely if she pulled it off, I had my doubts but she insisted that it's doable. I got the quote and now the projects are double my initial budget that I discussed with her last year. I accepted the quote a few days later, she mentioned she was about to up the quote due to rising gold prices, and that I accepted just in time.

Anyway it seems I nearly overpaid, I had a few bad experiences so I don't easily compromise these days, and more aware of what to watch out for. Also it seems she banned my ISP address from accessing her website. :lol:

Your ring is lovely and glad it turned out well. :appl:

As soon as I read the bolded bit of your above post, knowing we have had quite similar distateful experiences with this vendor, of course I couldn't resist trying to access her website.
And it seems that I, too, have undergone the same 'punishment' - I have been' banned/forbidden'
from visiting JKT's website as well! :lol:
I am bemused - this is just such an absurd and immature behaviour from a business person - not to mention just plain odd :???:
What exactly is this vendor threatened / paranoid about by ex-clients' patronage of her website???

btw, now that I know more of the details of your experience, ours seem eerily similar.
The consensus from other jewellers I consulted about the issues with my bracelet was the same as your conclusion above - that the craftsperson was out of their depth technically with my bracelet. I admit I suspected this earlier like yourself, and it likely explains some of the extreme time-line delays - however I do wish JKT had been more upfront about these limitations much earlier.

Further to this, when I had made all payments (including shipping) and the item was ready to ship, JKT tried to hit me up for an extra $300 that she had somehow missed :confused: during our lengthy transaction (I believe I've documented this earlier in this thread).
Of course, after confirming via my Paypal records I was 100% paid in full according to our agreement, I refused to pay this brand new 'tax'.

This really makes me wonder whether other clients may have been exposed to similar antics... :?:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow, banning you from her site?! How pathetic and punitive can she be? I also can't believe she tried to charge you an additional $300, aj. Yikes. I bet you're glad to be done with this mess. I hope you end up with a beautiful piece from your jeweler in NZ!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock

Wow. Not like I thought very highly of JKT after FrekeChild got that key with the ridiculously sloppy bezel work, but this thread has me wondering how the woman manages to stay in business! Banning you from her website?! Disclosing financial information to another jeweler? :nono: :nono: :nono: I realize that this wasn't a "normal" situation, but in my mind, there is just no excuse.

Even if by some miracle JKT's prices returned to "reasonable" from "ridiculous", she'll never see a dollar from me.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am glad, AJ, that things have worked out for you - finally! The initial project seemed lovely; it is sad that it got so messed up. I hope your next project with RDG will be a success.

I never ordered from JKT because the deposit and the long waiting period seemed to be too much. Although I can admit, I like some of her items.

Does anyone know if she works solo or has it turned into a big business employing several people?

:roll: She is a piece of work. I'm so glad everyone is being open and honest about her... it would be a shame for anyone else to have to go through this BS

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wow.

EVeryone has said what I think and more. It's just unbelievable. Interesting that she doesn't realise that although she is now succesful, it only takes a few hits like these to completely ruin her. How silly of her to do this.

I have one item of hers that I have purchased that was ready made, and inquired about a custom item as I do like some of her designs. However when she told me I'd have to wait a year to even GET on the waiting list I was like...hmm...well you ain't no Harry Winston or Neil Lane so forget that lol! Puh-lease... those turnaround times are ridiculous.

She was very nice in her communication so can't complain there.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock

I'm guessing the lengthy waiting list and production process are because JKT has to go through the trouble of tracking down and then figuring out how to block the IP address of every former customer who has turned sour on her. That takes time, people! You can't expect a fast turnaround when there are former clients to prohibit from viewing your website in the public domain as long as they use the same computer that they created their account with! Obviously the problem is that we PSers have unreasonable expectations about how people in the business of producing and selling jewelry work . . . I, for one, spent most of today constructing voodoo dolls of all the people who have ever thought ill of me, whether I deserved it or not, and also placing hexes on them and all of their descendents. Sure, I haven't fed or clothed my daughter yet, and it's 4 p.m., but priorities are priorities . . . ;-)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

phoenixgirl|1313438676|2991411 said:
I'm guessing the lengthy waiting list and production process are because JKT has to go through the trouble of tracking down and then figuring out how to block the IP address of every former customer who has turned sour on her. That takes time, people! You can't expect a fast turnaround when there are former clients to prohibit from viewing your website in the public domain as long as they use the same computer that they created their account with! Obviously the problem is that we PSers have unreasonable expectations about how people in the business of producing and selling jewelry work . . . I, for one, spent most of today constructing voodoo dolls of all the people who have ever thought ill of me, whether I deserved it or not, and also placing hexes on them and all of their descendents. Sure, I haven't fed or clothed my daughter yet, and it's 4 p.m., but priorities are priorities . . . ;-)

SNORT! Great point, PG-I hadn't thought of all the hours that go into blocking unhappy customers!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

arjunajane|1313324125|2990538 said:
Hey LG - I didn't want to interrupt Lavatea's thread any further, so I hope you don't mind, I've copied your posts over to mine here:

Lovinggems|1313321615|2990526 said:
lavatera|1313308061|2990485 said:
Loving Gems|1313289344|2990377 said:
minmin001|1313257748|2990117 said:
oh dear, it's beautiful! :love: do you mind telling me how much did it cost to get it made by JKT? I'm thinking about doing my first color stone project with her as well and would love to have an idea of the price first~

Mini001, my ring was going to be very similar to Lavatea's, except with intricate leaf details in between the bridges. The price quoted was near $2000 for 18k gold. After JKT found out she can't work the details in between the bridge, she expected that I will accept the same quote for a ring that'll essentially look like Lavatea's in construction. So between 18k gold and silver with gold details, there's a huge difference in price.

Congratulations on your graduation Lavatea.

That's ridiculous. You wouldn't have expected her to stick with a low quote after adding some detail to the design, so why would she expect the reverse of you? Is there anyway that was a miscommunication??

We actually talked about making this ring in all 18k, but it would have been between 800-900 IIRC. Out of my budget, but definitely not in the 2K range!

No, my ring was half done so I already paid half of the fees, when JKT emailed she can't put those details in, of course I wasn't going to accept that. She decided to refund both of my projects instead of coming up with a resolution. The other project (a pendant) is already done and I bought a necklace (not very expensive but still a good amount of money, $600 or so) to go with it, I also showed her the necklace during the project phase.

I let her took full reins on the ring project, she came up with two or so ideas, I mentioned they're both nice, then she merged the two together. It would have been lovely if she pulled it off, I had my doubts but she insisted that it's doable. I got the quote and now the projects are double my initial budget that I discussed with her last year. I accepted the quote a few days later, she mentioned she was about to up the quote due to rising gold prices, and that I accepted just in time.

Anyway it seems I nearly overpaid, I had a few bad experiences so I don't easily compromise these days, and more aware of what to watch out for. Also it seems she banned my ISP address from accessing her website. :lol:

Your ring is lovely and glad it turned out well. :appl:

As soon as I read the bolded bit of your above post, knowing we have had quite similar distateful experiences with this vendor, of course I couldn't resist trying to access her website.
And it seems that I, too, have undergone the same 'punishment' - I have been' banned/forbidden'
from visiting JKT's website as well! :lol:
I am bemused - this is just such an absurd and immature behaviour from a business person - not to mention just plain odd :???:
What exactly is this vendor threatened / paranoid about by ex-clients' patronage of her website???

btw, now that I know more of the details of your experience, ours seem eerily similar.
The consensus from other jewellers I consulted about the issues with my bracelet was the same as your conclusion above - that the craftsperson was out of their depth technically with my bracelet. I admit I suspected this earlier like yourself, and it likely explains some of the extreme time-line delays - however I do wish JKT had been more upfront about these limitations much earlier.

Further to this, when I had made all payments (including shipping) and the item was ready to ship, JKT tried to hit me up for an extra $300 that she had somehow missed :confused: during our lengthy transaction (I believe I've documented this earlier in this thread).
Of course, after confirming via my Paypal records I was 100% paid in full according to our agreement, I refused to pay this brand new 'tax'.

This really makes me wonder whether other clients may have been exposed to similar antics... :?:

I'm glad the stressful part is over, hope no one else was subject to the same mistreatments.

Being banned from the website was pretty funny, but when I think about it, it's pretty creepy someone that has my home address, whom I trusted before will act out this way. I'm glad I live no where close to this vendor.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock

phoenixgirl|1313438676|2991411 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :appl: :appl:

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock

AJ,

I am stunned and disgusted with the email communication that was sent. The implication that you are dishonest is blatant. Regardless of what this vendor is saying now, I do not believe it for a moment. The intent was very clear. From the very beginning, I thought you were being taken advantage of. I think you gave this vendor the benefit of the doubt, when she did not deserve it.

I hope that potential customers can learn from this experience. Thank you for posting about this situation. I hope you will be able to enjoy the piece that is being constructed for you and are abe to put this behind you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results