shape
carat
color
clarity

VCA 10 motif in hammered RG - length and colour comparisons

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I thought to start a reference thread comparing the different lengths of the VCA 10 motif necklace, in case others find this useful.

The reason I was so focussed on the different lengths is because I hadn’t budgeted for a 10 motif at all, and it was important that the necklace could work in multiple ways. Since living with it for a few weeks, I’ve had a chance to wear it with multiple outfits and to also compare the colour of the RG with that of other maisons’.

TLDR: I’ve decided to keep it at the original length because I like the (shorter) distance between each motif and I wear it at 16 inches often. I am getting an 18k RG extender made. Scroll to the bottom for pics!

The backstory
I went to the London flagship store to place a special order size for the vintage Alhambra onyx ring (small size due to it being a pinky ring) and noticed that my SA was wearing a hammered YG 5 motif.

I’d seen the hammered YG bracelet once before in real life before on @RosieR and absolutely adored it. I’m usually a YG wearer but also own a few pieces in RG, and mix the two colours on a daily basis. I’d also tried on both the hammered YG and RG 20 motif necklaces at various auction houses in London.

When I enquired about placing an order for the hammered 5 motif bracelet in YG, my SA mentioned that it would take some time but also interestingly, they were receiving shipment of a 10 motif in rose gold in the next couple of days. Usually they don’t stock any hammered pieces but this necklace was stuck at customs and was supposed to arrive before Christmas but missed the date. Lucky me!

Prior to trying it on in person, I made some notes on what criteria the necklace needed to fulfil in order to be part of my collection:
  1. Multifunctional as a necklace and a bracelet - I already have a VCA pendant in onyx and three other necklaces, but I don’t actually own a bracelet (only two bangles). The necklace needed to work with multiple necklines
  2. No style overlap with an existing necklace - I am missing a more “full-bodied” necklace as all my necklaces are dainty pendants
  3. Easy to take care of - I am a klutz and incredibly lazy. My jewellery needs to be hard-wearing and shower/gym-friendly
Not gonna lie, I spent hours on the other forum going through VCA 10-motif comparisons (that I think @LLJsmom helpfully compiled?) but very few actually had comparison lengths on the same neck.

So I thought it’d be helpful to create a reference thread here.

The comparisons
Scouring various forums, it seems there are a few comparisons:
  1. 10 motif necklace vs two 5 motif bracelets worn as a necklace
  2. 10 motif necklace worn at 16 inches (original length) and 18 inches
  3. 10 motif necklace worn at shorter lengths
  4. Triple wrapped as a bracelet using an extender
1. 10 motif necklace vs two 5 motif bracelets worn as a necklace
I tried on a necklace formed of two bracelets, MOP and chalcedony (gulp - the chalcedony was stunning!).
The two joined-up bracelets were about two inches shorter than the necklace, with the motifs closer together and being more like a choker.
This helped me rule out getting two bracelets to be stacked and worn as a necklace.

IMG_3516.JPEG

2. 10 motif necklace worn at 16 inches (original length) and 18 inches
The standard length of a 10 motif is 16 inches. I had learned via online forums that VCA can extend to 18 inches; the only permissible way to do this is with links spaced out evenly between the motifs.

When I asked if the links can be added unevenly with more at the back/clasp than the front to preserve a shorter distance between the motifs when it’s being worn, she said the maison is very strict and cannot do it that way.

As such, I bought a cheapo extender on eBay with jump rings at one and two inches (VCA do not provide extenders).

Here is the comparison between 16, 17 and 18 inches on a crew neck jumper.
IMG_4694.JPEG

For crew necks, I prefer it at 17 or 18 inches because the necklace often disappears under the jumper when it’s at 16 inches.

Sadly I don’t have a comparison photo between my unadjusted 16-inch 10 motif vs an extended 18-inch 10 motif. For an extended 10 motif, the distance between each motif is longer by 1/5th inch.

3. 10 motif necklace worn at shorter lengths

For lower necklines, I like shorter necklaces. These have been “shortened” by the clasp fastening onto a motif rather than the jump ring.

Here is a comparison between 13, 15 and 16 inches. Not sure how often I’d wear it as 13 inch (reminds me too much of my teenager days!) but it’s good to have the option.
IMG_4067.JPEG

I also like to wear the necklace short when I’m sporting a turtle neck (15/16 inches).
0D4838C0-28E1-45E5-96A0-C12BA2A7E32C.jpeg

This is what I mean by 'shortening' the necklace:

IMG_5112.JPEG

4. Triple wrapped as a bracelet using an extender

Before trying it on, the main reason I would extend to 18 inches was so that it can be triple wrapped as a bracelet. My wrists are 5.75 inch (14.5cm) for reference.

The 16 inch length is way too short to triple wrap, but way too long to double wrap!

My main concern with using an extender for triple-wrapping is because the extender is just a length of chain so I thought it would be very obvious.

Actually, after trying it on with an extender, I don’t think anyone would notice - and I don’t mind it either (no one is going to look that closely!). There are enough motifs with chain lengths between them that the extender blends in (you can just about see the VCA clasp and the extender in the second photo).

IMG_5115.JPEG

IMG_5116.JPEG

IMG_5109.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_5117.JPEG
    IMG_5117.JPEG
    149.1 KB · Views: 38

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Colour comparison

The VCA RG is very rosey compared to other jewellery houses.

At first, I was hesitant about how coppery the RG is due to my skin tone. For me, the RG sweet studs were a disappointment when I tried them on as they just blended into my ears!

However, for a more prominent piece like the 10 motif (and with the larger motif sizes too), I like that the RG blends into my skin tone - the subtler colour makes it easier to wear and pair with my mostly neutral wardrobe.

The comparisons are:
  1. VCA hammered RG vs VCA hammered YG
  2. VCA hammered RG vs Cartier RG
  3. VCA hammered RG vs Dior RG

1. VCA hammered RG vs YG

I find VCA RG to be very coppery, and the YG to be a neutral yellow. There is a significant difference between the two (which isn't the case at Cartier or Chanel Fine Jewellery!).

IMG_3531.JPEG

2. VCA RG vs Cartier RG JUC

The Cartier RG is much more “yellow” and reminds me of Chanel’s “beige gold” description rather than a true rose gold.

IMG_5105.JPEG
IMG_5130.JPEG

3. VCA RG vs Dior RG Bois de Rose ring

The rose golds are more similar, but VCA again is more coppery.

IMG_5104.JPEG

Concluding thoughts

I feel very lucky that my SA prompted me to try on the RG hammered 10 motif. I would never have considered it otherwise!

I’ve decided to keep it at the original 16 inch length because I like the (shorter) distance between each motif and I wear it at 16 inches often. I am getting an 18k RG extender made.

For me, the piece is:
  • Multipurpose as a necklace and a bracelet
  • Hardwearing for daily wear, including shower/gym
  • A subtle RG that goes well with my wardrobe and lifestyle
With this one piece, I have simultaneously scratched the itch for multiple VCA pieces and am happy to know it will be worn in many ways for many years to come.

❤️

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@Pomelo Your photos and explanations are incredibly helpful for those of us considering a future purchase of these pieces

Hehe glad to be of help! I agonised over the decision as it was a huge unplanned purchase and got a lot of good ideas from both PS and the other forum :geek2:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Nice write up @Pomelo :clap:. Very educational! You're lucky you can wear rose gold. I haven't ventured into VCA yet. And I am afraid to start...

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh. This thread will be such a good resource for anyone thinking about VCA strands. Those length comparison pics are *fantastic* :appl: :love: Thank you so much for sharing!!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Nice write up @Pomelo :clap:. Very educational! You're lucky you can wear rose gold. I haven't ventured into VCA yet. And I am afraid to start...

Haha, I'm a jewellery nerd at heart :geek2:

Why can't you wear rose gold?

And it's very wise that you haven't ventured into VCA... slippery slope :evil2:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh. This thread will be such a good resource for anyone thinking about VCA strands. Those length comparison pics are *fantastic* :appl: :love: Thank you so much for sharing!!

Thank you! You set the bar for reference pics (esp your pearls), I’m just trying to keep up ;)2

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Haha, I'm a jewellery nerd at heart :geek2:

Why can't you wear rose gold?

And it's very wise that you haven't ventured into VCA... slippery slope :evil2:

RG blends with my skin tone too much. But it looks fab on you!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done @Pomelo a very detailed and thorough thread for those interested in 10 motifs. I’m happy that you will find so much versatility and use for your new lovely 10 motif.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t own any VCA (yet!) but found this a really fascinating read. I’m sure it will be really helpful to people struggling with lengths etc.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour comparison

The VCA RG is very rosey compared to other jewellery houses.

At first, I was hesitant about how coppery the RG is due to my skin tone. For me, the RG sweet studs were a disappointment when I tried them on as they just blended into my ears!

However, for a more prominent piece like the 10 motif (and with the larger motif sizes too), I like that the RG blends into my skin tone - the subtler colour makes it easier to wear and pair with my mostly neutral wardrobe.

The comparisons are:
  1. VCA hammered RG vs VCA hammered YG
  2. VCA hammered RG vs Cartier RG
  3. VCA hammered RG vs Dior RG

1. VCA hammered RG vs YG

I find VCA RG to be very coppery, and the YG to be a neutral yellow. There is a significant difference between the two (which isn't the case at Cartier or Chanel Fine Jewellery!).

IMG_3531.JPEG

2. VCA RG vs Cartier RG JUC

The Cartier RG is much more “yellow” and reminds me of Chanel’s “beige gold” description rather than a true rose gold.

IMG_5105.JPEG
IMG_5130.JPEG

3. VCA RG vs Dior RG Bois de Rose ring

The rose golds are more similar, but VCA again is more coppery.

IMG_5104.JPEG

Concluding thoughts

I feel very lucky that my SA prompted me to try on the RG hammered 10 motif. I would never have considered it otherwise!

I’ve decided to keep it at the original 16 inch length because I like the (shorter) distance between each motif and I wear it at 16 inches often. I am getting an 18k RG extender made.

For me, the piece is:
  • Multipurpose as a necklace and a bracelet
  • Hardwearing for daily wear, including shower/gym
  • A subtle RG that goes well with my wardrobe and lifestyle
With this one piece, I have simultaneously scratched the itch for multiple VCA pieces and am happy to know it will be worn in many ways for many years to come.

❤️

Oh thanks so much for the VCA tour!
I love all your pix and your comparisons..
You have given me a lot of great ideas for the future. :wavey:

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a well thought out, detailed and informative post. You will not be disappointed in your decision. Not only is it the perfect choice for you, but it’s perfect on too!

P.S always happy to be an enabler ;-)

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Well done @Pomelo a very detailed and thorough thread for those interested in 10 motifs. I’m happy that you will find so much versatility and use for your new lovely 10 motif.
Thank you ^_^

I don’t own any VCA (yet!) but found this a really fascinating read. I’m sure it will be really helpful to people struggling with lengths etc.
Thanks! IIRC you're based in the UK? Very happy to introduce you to the superb SA in New Bond Street (UK flagship store) when the time comes ;)2

Oh thanks so much for the VCA tour!
I love all your pix and your comparisons..
You have given me a lot of great ideas for the future. :wavey:
Thanks, glad to be of help and would love to see those ideas in photo format on PS in the not too distant future :mrgreen2:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
What a well thought out, detailed and informative post. You will not be disappointed in your decision. Not only is it the perfect choice for you, but it’s perfect on too!

P.S always happy to be an enabler ;-)

Thank you, especially for being the enabler :mrgreen2:
I don't think I would've thought about a hammered piece if it wasn't for yours!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
What an informative thread!! Thank you so much for the comparisons and the pics!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ^_^

Thanks! IIRC you're based in the UK? Very happy to introduce you to the superb SA in New Bond Street (UK flagship store) when the time comes ;)2

Thanks, glad to be of help and would love to see those ideas in photo format on PS in the not too distant future :mrgreen2:

Ooh, thank you! I’ll let you know when Mr T has stopped gagging over the costs of my new Tiffany ring & bracelets, then jump on a train :D

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I adore the way your RG necklace looks over your black turtleneck paired with your camel colored jacket. Perfection!

Thanks for the reference photos and explanations of the different colors/lengths. Very helpful.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely piece and photos! Thanks for sharing a comparison/review. I don't know if VCA will be in my future, but I will look to threads like this for guidance ::)

Star gazer

Shiny_Rock
Amazing pics. I love how the VCA rose gold is a true, true rose gold. I've heard a lot of people say that the Cartier rose gold is not a "true" rose-y colour.. That's too bad, I love the pink look of rose gold like VCA

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Isn't it funny how you might walk into a store with your heart SET on something, only to discover that something else suits you much more?

Our jewelry needs sound really similar! I've been gravitating to durable, mostly metal, unfussy pieces that are functional and versatile. Heck, I usually sleep and shower in jewelry!

But I'm not sold on all of the chunky trendy chain necklaces yet either, but love the idea of a statement necklace and you've definitely sold me on this necklace style! And wearable as a bracelet? It doesn't get better for someone who values form and function together!

I adore the chalcedony too...it's dreamy. But I just can't justify the price for something so fragile. This is as an alternative is so lovely...feminine but has a little bit of edge because it's so much metal!

This piece is amazing on you. The RG suits you beautifully and glows against your skin. And I love RG with YG too...it's such a yummy combo and coppery w/ subtler rose gold side by side is excellent. The Juste Un Clou bracelet stack is 10/10!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Isn't it funny how you might walk into a store with your heart SET on something, only to discover that something else suits you much more?

Our jewelry needs sound really similar! I've been gravitating to durable, mostly metal, unfussy pieces that are functional and versatile. Heck, I usually sleep and shower in jewelry!

But I'm not sold on all of the chunky trendy chain necklaces yet either, but love the idea of a statement necklace and you've definitely sold me on this necklace style! And wearable as a bracelet? It doesn't get better for someone who values form and function together!

I adore the chalcedony too...it's dreamy. But I just can't justify the price for something so fragile. This is as an alternative is so lovely...feminine but has a little bit of edge because it's so much metal!

This piece is amazing on you. The RG suits you beautifully and glows against your skin. And I love RG with YG too...it's such a yummy combo and coppery w/ subtler rose gold side by side is excellent. The Juste Un Clou bracelet stack is 10/10!

Haha yes, durable unfussy pieces FTW!

However... I recently lost an eternity ring in the shower and couldn't retrieve it :cry2:

It's the first piece of fine jewellery I've ever lost and now I'm much more cautious; that ring was slightly too big for me + soap suds = bye bye

I've recently heard of a new way to wear the 10 motif as a bracelet: by twisting the chain so that it's shorter, and to wear it double-wrapped that way. Will try it out over the next few days and report back!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha yes, durable unfussy pieces FTW!

However... I recently lost an eternity ring in the shower and couldn't retrieve it :cry2:

It's the first piece of fine jewellery I've ever lost and now I'm much more cautious; that ring was slightly too big for me + soap suds = bye bye

I've recently heard of a new way to wear the 10 motif as a bracelet: by twisting the chain so that it's shorter, and to wear it double-wrapped that way. Will try it out over the next few days and report back!

Oh noooooo. Try an extra long drain snake!?

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh noooooo. Try an extra long drain snake!?

Yes I really should! Will buy one to keep on hand in case it ever happens in future

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I really should! Will buy one to keep on hand in case it ever happens in future

Fingers are crossed for recovery ;(

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Updating this thread with two things:

(1) Twisting the 10 motif to wear as a double-wrapped bracelet

I saw this on Instagram and thought it looked like a really neat way to double-wrap the 10 motif as a bracelet. The motifs are closer together (which looks more like a 5-motif) and I like the aesthetic of a double-wrapped bracelet stacked with my RG JUC more than the triple-wrapped, as it looks less busy on the wrist.

You twist the motifs to reduce the length of the chain between each motif (photo below showing the difference between a twisted chain and a normal chain).

One of my concerns was whether this would damage the chain, but I'm really impressed by thickness/sturdiness of the chain and didn't feel like there would be an issue.

However, the main issue is that the chain unravels itself! Unless you wear the bracelet really tight, the motifs untwist themselves - mine came undone within 30 seconds :lol-2:

2746469D-D065-4C90-B2EE-561CE94EFB57.jpeg E1A76EF1-A429-49FF-AED2-E3460BF4DF23.jpeg
Here is the immediate unravelling...
6A208C3E-8683-4EE3-B182-F3515D1E50BE.jpeg

(2) Rose gold comparison - Tiffany vs. VCA

Can't believe I forgot about my RG mini Bean for the colour comparison! The Tiffany RG is less rosey than VCA.

One thing to note is that I've had this mini Bean for more than ten years and have recently been made aware that RG loses its pinkish tinge over time, so I'm not sure if this is due to wear over time.

C0462BDD-611E-4EEA-8D47-568C3C7E4D4C.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results