shape
carat
color
clarity

Vanadium beryl vs emerald

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I also saw a flat Zambi once and it almost liked a portrait cut but did sheen just around the sides.

That Macy's one looked much "better" than EEFY ones. More blue.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Aren't ducky but ain't bad...? I think there is a big one on that bracelet but I haven't been able to find the picture yet.

AFP-AFP-10C0VU.jpg
10C0W5.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also saw a flat Zambi once and it almost liked a portrait cut but did sheen just around the sides.

That Macy's one looked much "better" than EEFY ones. More blue.
Exactly!!! It was like frame with no picture. A fine emerald has microscopic inclusions that give it a more overall velvety appearance. This was more like a dark green aquamarine if that makes sense. It had color and RI of an emerald, but not the depth of one.

Kate’s emeralds are too far away to judge the color.

The Macy’s one was very crystal and clean, but typically the lighter ones are. It was very pretty. The Effy ones were rubbish.

Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your inspiration. Went to T&Co and saw 2 Zambi. emerald rings. The smaller one is about 1ct and is asking for $27K. I am pretty sure that they are in med. dark tone but just strong saturation only. Under the table still looks semi flat. Glassy but definitely no Rockefeller! The one at your T&Co looks better and costs more $$$.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your inspiration. Went to T&Co and saw 2 Zambi. emerald rings. The smaller one is about 1ct and is asking for $27K. I am pretty sure that they are in med. dark tone but just strong saturation only. Under the table still looks semi flat. Glassy but definitely no Rockefeller! The one at your T&Co looks better and costs more $$$.
If anyone saw my post in the “Emerald Education”
thread, I compared the Rockefeller to a synthetic emerald. Fine emeralds, while clean, have a hazy appearance due to micro inclusions. This makes them look more beautiful. The Tiffany&Co emerald I saw had sharp looking back facets when the light reflected off of them. It was not velvety, or glowy, but very much like a synthetic. I didn’t like it at all, despite the duck neck color, and it’s eye clean appearance. Honestly, if I saw it in a case at Costco with the synthetic emeralds I see there, I wouldn’t have questioned it as being fake.

I’ve seen superfine emerald in estate pieces and they are truly a sight to behold, the Tiffany stone was disappointing, “Glassy” and “flat”are good descriptions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, the Tiffany one was 1.6 cts so that explains why it was probably more $$, but I suspect it was very similar to what you saw.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
If anyone saw my post in the “Emerald Education”
thread, I compared the Rockefeller to a synthetic emerald. Fine emeralds, while clean, have a hazy appearance due to micro inclusions. This makes them look more beautiful. The Tiffany&Co emerald I saw had sharp looking back facets when the light reflected off of them. It was not velvety, or glowy, but very much like a synthetic. I didn’t like it at all, despite the duck neck color, and it’s eye clean appearance. Honestly, if I saw it in a case at Costco with the synthetic emeralds I see there, I wouldn’t have questioned it as being fake.

I’ve seen superfine emerald in estate pieces and they are truly a sight to behold, the Tiffany stone was disappointing, “Glassy” and “flat”are good descriptions.

I think you should add pictures on this thread for reference. Good documentation for future all shoppers!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@T L, do you mind if I ask your opinion on blue sapphire here?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
What is considered to be the "trade ideal" for blue sapphire in your opinion?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably something like this

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brmx-ZJH_NQ/?igshid=1w2a6wv8scz78

Medium dark tone and vivid blue or very slightly violetish blue satutation/hue with some silk, but not too much to overwhelm clarity. There’s a reason why stones such as these command the highest prices. The cutting could be better on that stone, but in terms of hue/saturation/tone, it’s up there.

Last edited:

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
I finally finished reading this thread. @T L Thank you! This is so educational.
There are concepts or details I just understand what has been said but not the essence. I will come back to this thread again after some real experiences.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally finished reading this thread. @T L Thank you! This is so educational.
There are concepts or details I just understand what has been said but not the essence. I will come back to this thread again after some real experiences.

I’m glad you find the thread educational. I’m cutting and pasting my comments from the other thread here per Red_fan’s request

51D7F499-8C99-4588-BD5B-A946E752360F.jpeg DB8ED771-EA64-4CD6-9C75-8B9488BE7BF3.jpeg I also don’t know if everyone can see it, but there’s a slight hazy effect that f you look at the Rockefeller emerald’s back facets where they’re reflecting light. I’m posting an up close photo. Look at a synthetic in comparison, see how sharp those back facets look, That hazy appearance, yet still clean, is what you want.”

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to screen capture the velvety “Gota de aceite” effect I finally saw on video in this Moussief advert. It’s toward the top of the gem. That diagonal flash rolls along the gem showing a hazy appearance. You really have to see the video to understand it, but I don’t think I can post it here.

BC294C84-34EB-4A9D-97B5-C6355F7B94CE.jpeg

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
Probably something like this

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brmx-ZJH_NQ/?igshid=1w2a6wv8scz78

Medium dark tone and vivid blue or very slightly violetish blue satutation/hue with some silk, but not too much to overwhelm clarity. There’s a reason why stones such as these command the highest prices. The cutting could be better on that stone, but in terms of hue/saturation/tone, it’s up there.

That sapphire is stunning!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
I also don’t know if everyone can see it, but there’s a slight hazy effect that f you look at the Rockefeller emerald’s back facets where they’re reflecting light. I’m posting an up close photo. Look at a synthetic in comparison, see how sharp those back facets look, That hazy appearance, yet still clean, is what you want.”
How about this? Do they look flat?
https://www.instagram.com/p/By0raMIDtMR/

I think there slight haziness, but far less than this one below.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BysbDn5lJHJ/

But maybe the lighting in the second one would showcase that quality better?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about this? Do they look flat?
https://www.instagram.com/p/By0raMIDtMR/

I think there slight haziness, but far less than this one below.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BysbDn5lJHJ/

But maybe the lighting in the second one would showcase that quality better?
I don’t think either set of emeralds look “flat.” A typical flat looking emerald looks like a synthetic. Both sets of emeralds look natural to me. They both have a hazy appearance, but the fact that the top set appears to have been photographed in diffused natural light and/or is in a box under glass, detracts from the sheen. The second gem, which may have more full sunlight or direct lighting on it, gives off more of a sheen.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
This is the first time I saw cabs looking like Jello drops. Is it taken under special light or just the good clarify?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think those are just super high quality duck neck cabs:love::love::love::cheeky:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I want one!!!

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
I am curious if the vendor/supplier might have oiled them...someone has mentioned that cooking oil is used sometimes...:confused:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Assuming this is a super clean/ultra $$$ emerald and not a Chatham, right?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have inclusions if you look closely. I love the color and clarity though.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Check this out, this is the first time I saw setting like this...imaging what kind of stress the emerald went through?

FUNKY

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check this out, this is the first time I saw setting like this...imaging what kind of stress the emerald went through?

FUNKY
Sacrilege!!! I hate when they drill holes in pearls to hold diamonds as well.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Maybe that emerald was born with a hole in the middle?

Going back to my question about cleaning, you mentioned gemstone cloth. Is that the same thing as diamond or jewelry cloth? I noticed that certain cloth feels more silky/fine than others. Does it matter as long as they are called jewelry cloth? Thanks.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone asked for the price of those muzo cabs ? I hate when you have to "DM for price"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results